Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low carb doesn't work for everyone

SkinnyKerinny
SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
Darn! I guess I'm one of them. I was so hopeful too.

I have been feeling more and more like an engine trying to run on an empty tank so I need to look for something else apparently-- and I think it will be much more restrictive (like an autoimmune diet).

I just want to let everyone know that this has been the most delightful experience being in this group. The support and caring is beyond awesome.

Anyway thanks so much to everyone who had responded to my questions-- and not even that-- who have responded to any questions. I've learned so much from all of you. I probably will hang out and lurk since I just love this group even if the LC WOE isn't really working for me.

xoxox

Kerin

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Sorry but nothing diet wise works of everyone.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Good luck to you Kerin. I hope you can find a way of eating that works best for you. I have done some of the very restrictive autoimmune recommended diets and they were very helpful in ridding me of excess fluid retention and inflammation. The best for me was Stage 1 of the GAPS diet that is recommended to heal a leaky gut. I had issues later when I tried to progress through the Stages and add in veggies. The meat broth and bone broth still form the basis for my current way of eating. Have you been tested for food sensitivities? That also helped me pinpoint what foods I can best tolerate.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    What were you looking for it to do for you. We all have different goals here. Let us know what yours are we might be able to offer some advice.

My low carb varies all the time lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Finding what works for you is so important! I have been fortunate that after about 45 days of being meativore I have been able to try different foods and see how they affect me. I have been able to eliminate foods that cause negative symptoms (runny nose, abdominal bloating, generalized pain...) I consider LCHF to be a life saver, for me. Good luck to you!
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Thanks so much everyone! I LOVE this group!!!

It is obvious lower carbs are the answer since especially sugar was a taking a huge hit on my health. But maybe they are too low. I didn't realize 150 was still considered low carb. I've been at around 30 to 60 most days.

I just want to be able to continue to improve, be able to function (think clearly at work so I don't lose my job and have enouugh energy to take care of my pups) and lose weight. I stalled out at 10 pounds down and am not able to exercise except walking on the "good" days and usually for small amounts like 10 minutes at a time. I feel like instead of making progress I'm going the other way-- less energy every day.

I just had a thought-- I wonder if it's a magnesium deficiency. I have overlooked taking that recently. I just took 3 mega pills so hopefully that will help get me to the market and back home today.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Hi Kerin!

Thanks for checking in about this, and being part of this group. I love the variety of approaches in this supportive community.

I've only been at this for three months, but find it works best for me if I allow myself a wide range of carbs, and fluctuate up and down within that range. My range is something like 30-85g carbs, honestly. I know that sounds like a lot, and sounds like dipping in and out of keto and never getting adapted, which should feel like hell... but for me, it works. I think I am fat adapted, because my body seems to easily get back on board after a higher carb day or two.

I've noticed that after diligently staying under my calorie/carb goals in MFP for several days, my energy dips and I feel hungrier, usually end up having an "over" day, and then feel much better the next day and ready to get back on the wagon. Maybe this means my goals are set a little too low. Or maybe I need to accept this as a normal fluctuation for me. I've read recently about how we humans are made for feast-or-famine, not a constantly equal food intake from day to day (Jason Fong/Andreas Eenfeldt), and I wonder if that's going to be my MO from here on out... at least until menopause, anyway.

I'd love to know if FODMAPS or a different elimination diet works well for you.

However you decide to proceed, I hope we can still be friends.

Mary
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

It is obvious lower carbs are the answer since especially sugar was a taking a huge hit on my health. But maybe they are too low. I didn't realize 150 was still considered low carb. I've been at around 30 to 60 most days.

I just want to be able to continue to improve, be able to function (think clearly at work so I don't lose my job and have enouugh energy to take care of my pups) and lose weight. I stalled out at 10 pounds down and am not able to exercise except walking on the "good" days and usually for small amounts like 10 minutes at a time. I feel like instead of making progress I'm going the other way-- less energy every day.

I just had a thought-- I wonder if it's a magnesium deficiency. I have overlooked taking that recently. I just took 3 mega pills so hopefully that will help get me to the market and back home today.

The fact that you are between 30 and 60g of carbs could have been part of your problem. You may have been going in and out of ketosis which could be causing keto-flu over and over... Just a guess though. :)

I hope eating a bit higher carb works well for you!
  • SkinnyKerinny
    I truly don't know the answer either about keto flu-- I know this doesn't feel the same as when I first started LC but it still could be a "flu" effect. This is all new to me and I have so many health issues (toggling between hypo/hyperthyroid, adrenal fatigue, fatty liver) that it could be anything really. I've recently realized the little that I have learned is far and away so much more than the doctors I've been to (all NPs) so it's a feeling like walking a tightrope over a raging river. This group and the Paleo group along with some blogs/websites have helped me more than all those NPs combined so this is highly valued to me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    It's disconcerting when you know more than the doctors, isn't it. :(
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    I agree with nvmom. If I go over 50 carbs, I am kicked out of ketosis. Going back to my <20, I used to go back through the flu. Now that I'm keto adapted, I'm back to fat burn mode in less than 2 days.

That in and out of flu a year back was killer. It wasn't until I dropped to keto levels, that I felt stable for the first time. You have to take into consideration that I am insulin resistant and type II as well, so stability is a major plus for me.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Magnesium was a real lifesaver for me…I take a liquid Mg, get 800mg or more a day..and use transdermal Mg oil too…the change was almost immediate…as Mg feeds 300+ body systems, including energy and sugar balancing.

Like you I can barely walk some days, and the blessing of LC is I can do what limited exercise I can, and not be punished by no weight loss due to lack of exercise….

i choose to stay <20-30 gr carbs…and trying 80-100 as my MD wanted was the wrong direction.

loo at the magnesium advocacy FB page, and both Dr. Dean
    and http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-deficiency
    http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-supplements/
    http://drcarolyndean.com << great article on sugar latest
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

What about trying to do something "slow carb" like south beach if you don't feel well with as low as you have been....
    Good luck finding what works for you!
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Kerin, stick around a bit and just modify your eating until you find something that works for you - it may still fall within the parameters of the group.

Some people say that adding fat will give you added energy, which is what I rely on. I use cheese and coconut butter, etc. Before I would be super tired mid afternoon to the point of not being able to stay awake. I don't know if it's the eating of the fat, or the fact that my blood sugar is better balanced now, but I don't get tired like that anymore.

Also, I noticed you don't track fiber - you might want to show fiber and work based on net carbs (carbs minus fiber) which will allow you to eat a little more in the carb department without thinking you've blown it.

I started on this journey to get my blood sugars in order (which it has done), and to go gluten free to improve my fatty liver status (read an article that said gluten has an effect) which I won't know if it's had an effect until my next ultrasound, but I'm hoping so.

Everyone is different, so you've just got to tweak it until you find a good fit for you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @SkinnyKerinny I just had had an experience lately feeling short on energy. I had dropped just under 200 from 210 and I wanted to drop on down to a solid 195 so I stayed with only eating two meals a day but still around 2600 calories. Thursday evening I started back to eating another 400 calories around 10 PM and today my energy levels have started to rebound. I did eat 3-4 grapes this morning but carbs are still under 50 grams daily.

Do you think you may just have been under eating too much?

I am going to maintain at or just under 200 for awhile and monitor my energy.

I think some are correct when they say never drop weight non stop but let the body readjust every 10-20 pound drop. It helps prevent regains too if we learn how to maintain on our way down I have read. I did maintain at 220 for 90 days and ate all the food I wished still staying very low carb.

Only you know your body.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Thanks so much for the thoughts, Gale. I have had some lower calorie days but I just wasn't hungry so I didn't want to force eating just to meet a calorie goal. Other days I ate more when I was hungrier so I thought it was evening out pretty well.

I actually don't know my body too well because I have been sick for so long and have been desperately trying this and that and grasping at stuff just to try to be OK.

My sister did remind me (which was such a great perspective) that I am much better now than a year ago and then even better than two years ago. I somehow lost sight of that and lately just got into a bit of a panic when I was losing energy.

The last time that happened I was fired from two jobs in a row and that has deeply affected me. Since then I have been fighting and struggling to have energy and think clearly so that doesn't happen again. So I probably react to having low energy much more than most people. Because to me it means a fight for survival (and I'm pretty insecure) to keep everything working, Then if I start getting brain fog that's really bad because then I may not be taking the right supplements and eating the right foods, etc.

Maybe I should try to be more patient with myself but it's a very scary to let things go for too long in the wrong direction.

It sounds like your approach should definitely work for you so I hope that's the case!

I hope that all I rambled on about makes sense and that you are still awake LOL
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,069 Member
    If you are so much better now than a year ago, why not keep at it ? I know that after an initial weight loss, I felt stalled for quite a while, but it is perseverance which is keeping me going. And if anything, my brain fog has much improved or disappeared with under 30g carbs daily. I have never felt better, and I wish the same for you.

I am 50 pounds lighter than 11 months ago. I have tons of even energy throughout the day and a clear mind. I have improved flexibility and physical endurance. I am happier ! I think high fat helps.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best !
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Just keep going.....keep tweaking as it sounds like you have made improvements to your life already....just make sure what you are eating is balanced and a good multi vitamin and mineral may help.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    edited August 2015
    Ketogenic diets work great. Until they don't anymore. Some people just do better doing other things at different points in their journey.

I lost all but the last 10lbs (that's 92 so far) doing keto, (<50g carbs total). But the past 6 months or so I've really been struggling with the chronic fatigue popping up again that had plagued me since I was 19. I've tweaked all kinds of things, more fat, more protein, more calories, been keeping the electrolytes on the up-and-up, cutting out artificial sweeteners, even carb-cycling. But I was still tired. I'm also always hungry all the time. Keto lost it's satiating effect for me. I've started upping my carbs over the ketogenic threshold. I've randomly checked my blood sugar after carbier things (like a banana) 2 hrs pp and it hasn't been over 95. So no worries there. I'm still LCHF, I'm just staying out of ketosis. It's nice to have an apple. And a little bit of roasted carrots in my stew. I can have some chili sometime. :mrgreen: And I have found in just the 2 days I've been doing this that I'm not having any trouble staying under 100. I don't think I broke 85 yesterday. And I had a small bowl of popcorn! Which I ate because I wanted it and because I was afraid I wouldn't be high enough to stay out of ketosis. I haven't had anymore carb-mares at night so far (those of you who have them know what I mean. Mine are very intense and stressful and I wake up stressed.) I don't care about the couple pounds of water weight. I'll still get to goal eventually. I'm also having less trouble hitting my calorie goal now. So my macros look a bit like: 20% carbs, 25% protein, 55% fat.

Intellectually, I feel like a traitor to the keto-cause. But I'm really not sorry. I'm quite happy to have more veggies in my life. I'm making almond flour crackers and bread sometime this week. In the trenches, it's every gal for herself. We got to discover our sweet spot for best health. It WAS keto for me. Now it may be something else. No shame in finding what's best for you. That's smart. This is all a huge experiment in progress.

I hope you start feeling better soon, Kerin. <3
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    I'm all over the place on consumption of carbs. I have focused on burning them off and having a fat loss conducive blood chemistry

Some days I eat 30 carbs, others I am at 200 but have 2000 calories burnt off in exercise so I am at net zero on carbs and my blood levels are keto like.

Find what works for you!

This group is very supportive and inclusive

Good link on what happens when we burn fat regardless of diet type

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/physiologgfatloss.html
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Darn! I guess I'm one of them. I was so hopeful too.

I have been feeling more and more like an engine trying to run on an empty tank so I need to look for something else apparently-- and I think it will be much more restrictive (like an autoimmune diet).

I just want to let everyone know that this has been the most delightful experience being in this group. The support and caring is beyond awesome.

Anyway thanks so much to everyone who had responded to my questions-- and not even that-- who have responded to any questions. I've learned so much from all of you. I probably will hang out and lurk since I just love this group even if the LC WOE isn't really working for me.

xoxox

Kerin

I would agree with Sabine about going slower like Med diet. This doesn't mean I disagree with anyone else on the thread. I think for some people one way is the way an if you lurk the threads and get to know people and what tools they use you may find the most successful people employ many tools. Success and the path someone takes isn't for all so keep reading and learning. Continue to explore options and decide how to go about your plan.

I was listening to Herm Edwards the other night(an NFL player, coach, and commentator) and he spoke of players coming to him and saying "Coach, I have all these goals!" He would look at them and say "Great!" "What is your plan?" A goal without a plan is a dream, So, write out your goal, make a plan, be flexible, get frustrated, learn, and grow. Last thought- - - > is a very good book by Charles Duhigg where he discusses habits and willpower. It has served me well. Best of luck.