Fake Sweeteners - seriously

Options
124»

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest...I'm much more scared of the things that I breathe in every day than I am about artificial sweeteners.

I use them sparingly. I also use other neurotoxins daily, such as fluoride enhanced toothpastes. I think that there is a place for these things in our lives--and that place is when the risk of these things is outweighed by the potential benefits one might obtain (stronger teeth with fluoride and stable blood sugar with artificial sweeteners) through their use.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion and experience.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Splenda is not aspartame just to keep that from getting confused

I just active the old fake sweeteners. And use Stevia or Splenda very sparingly. Thankfully neither bother me. 1/2 pack of Splenda a day is about it.

Sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA® Sweeteners, is a modified form of sucrose, or sugar. It is changed by removing hydrogen-oxygen groups from certain places on the sucrose molecule and putting chlorine in their place. It's important to remember that chlorine is also found in many safe components of food. This change makes the sucralose molecule much sweeter than sugar, but with none of the calories. Most of the sucralose we consume passes through our bodies unchanged, and it all leaves the body very quickly without being broken down for energy.

Aspartame is made from two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, which are commonly found in foods with protein. When these two amino acids are put together in specific ways they are extremely sweet, yet readily released from the sweeteners during digestion and absorbed just like the amino acids found in meat, eggs and other foods.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Tbh, I am reassured about my daily ingestion of aspartame through diet coke. I'd always been aware that it was supposed to be really bad for you, but have struggled to give it up. Maybe I don't need to - or at least I feel it is one less thing to worry about in my life and that's a great feeling! Thanks everyone.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    A cousin sent me this yesterday on the sweetener subject. If the story is valid then it could prevent death for some perhaps.

https://rhondagessner.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/a-killer-in-your-fridge-sweet-poison-a-must-read/
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest...I'm much more scared of the things that I breathe in every day than I am about artificial sweeteners.

I use them sparingly. I also use other neurotoxins daily, such as fluoride enhanced toothpastes. I think that there is a place for these things in our lives--and that place is when the risk of these things is outweighed by the potential benefits one might obtain (stronger teeth with fluoride and stable blood sugar with artificial sweeteners) through their use.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion and experience.

That's kinda my leaning as well.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything conclusive on the health impact.

Everything I have read about stevia says that it is harmless...pure stevia if not cut with anything else. That's generally what I use when I want a sweetener.

I use Splenda in very limited quantities...not on a daily basis. The reason is that I have noticed that if I use it too often (like two or three times a day) it really WILL cause massive sugar cravings for me. Some people have no problem with this. Some do. I do, so I use it very rarely in very small amounts.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    This last week I drank some diet root beer sweetened with Aspartame two times after not touching it for a year. The first time was so so then the next day I tried it again and poured it out after two drinks of it. Clearly my body/taste buds was saying NO in my case. I love root beer taste by the way.