Alcohol and LCD

Options
vikashsinha
vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
Hi, I am new to LCD. Have been reading a lot in the last one month. Started with induction phase a month back and lost 5 kg in two weeks. I do enjoy my drinks. Although during first 2 weeks I practically had no alcohol, I know that this cannot be a lifestyle change for me (I dont want to lead a boring life!). I love having whiskey, which thankfully has zero carbs. Was wondering what has been your experience with alcohol? As long as I restrict my carbs to below 100 gms per day, having alcohol should be ok, right? I know that if you are on ketogenic diet, although alcohol may not have as much carbs, alcohol provides instant calories, which the burn burns first before burning body fat. But thats theory, how do you guys handle this in day to day life. I run 6 times a week for 45 mins (4-5 kms) and bike once a week (10-25 kms).

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You have likely googled and found this, but just in case: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/alcohol-without-the-hangover-bulletproof-partying-business-networking/

I have a glass of red wine with my dinner most nights, which likely has slowed down my weight loss but has kept me sane. :smile: If I have 2 glasses, I end up waking up at 4 a.m....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I like to have a few drinks on the weekends and will allow myself to have up to 5g carbs per drink. I prefer rum or vodka and have found fruity things to mix it with few carbs so I'm pretty happy.
    So far, even with 3 or 4 drinks I haven't knocked myself out of ketosis but I also took a couple weeks off alcohol in the beginning.
    I have had horrid hangovers though. In the past I could easily have 5 drinks, be moderately drunk and be dehydrated, tired and have to deal with my IBS the next day. Now, if I get moderately drunk, it takes fewer drinks and I am dehydrated, have an aweful headache and am tired the next day. It's not that different, but I am a big baby with headaches. I would rather have my IBS acting up. Lol
    But seriously, pace yourself because I was drinking wine a few weeks ago and it was going down too easy and I wasn't paying much attention to how much I had and all of a sudden it hit me hard and I was so sick! Literally. Puked on the floor with no warning. My poor husband had to clean it up and I couldn't even hardly get myself to the bathroom with his help to wash up.
    I have never had anything like that happen before on the amount of wine I had. Maybe it was just how quickly I drank it... I don't know, but I won't be doing that again!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    And in re-reading this I feel like I sound like I spend every weekend drunk. Lol
    It's really not as much as it seems from the way I wrote that.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Lol @Sunny_Bunny_ that sounds like my weekends too, typing it out makes it sound worse than it is, like when you have to fill out that questionnaire at the Dr office and they all how many alcohol beverages you have a week lol

@vikashsinha test it out slowly. I used to be able to drink and have very little after effects, now I dehydrate much easier and one too many has me feeling horrible the whole next day. Drink extra water and take it slow till you know your new tolerance level. I drink usually a couple nights a week usually nothing to much but twice a month or so I'll have more, I'm not tracking for keto just staying under 100g most days so it fits no problem
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Lol @Sunny_Bunny_ that sounds like my weekends too, typing it out makes it sound worse than it is, like when you have to fill out that questionnaire at the Dr office and they all how many alcohol beverages you have a week lol

@vikashsinha test it out slowly. I used to be able to drink and have very little after effects, now I dehydrate much easier and one too many has me feeling horrible the whole next day. Drink extra water and take it slow till you know your new tolerance level. I drink usually a couple nights a week usually nothing to much but twice a month or so I'll have more, I'm not tracking for keto just staying under 100g most days so it fits no problem

Lol. I'm glad I'm not alone! :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Alcohol gets metabolised as a priority by your body, so it does slow down fat-burning. I had started off keto without drinking, but after 6 months slipped back into it, mainly either whiskey and diet ginger ale, gin and slimline tonic or wine. I got back into a pattern of one or two a night and that definitely contributed to weight loss slowing I think. So as of yesterday I have decided not to drink any more for a few months so as to restart the weight loss. Hopefully one day I will be in maintenance and have the odd drink, but not go back to every day drinking.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love my wine, but I have to account for the carbs. If need something without carbs, I drink vodka and mio. I could drink a flavored vodka, but many of the flavors use syrup, which adds carbs. If I'm drinking carbs, it's gonna be wine.

I don't get hangovers, I never have, no matter how much I drink. After going keto, if I have more than 6 glasses of wine or 8 vodka shots, I will pee fire the next day or two. I will assume that's from the extra dehydration. So, no more daily alcohol, 1-2 glasses of wine or 1-2 vodka and mio when I'm out, and that's it.

By the by, I'm female, 45yo, 194lbs and dropping!
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hangover has never been a problem with me. Hearing you folks, it appears that I can have few drinks during the weekend (especially low carbs) if I am keeping myself below 100 gms carb a day. It seems that this may slow down weight loss but not halt it. My target is to lose 1 kg per week if possible. In 5 weeks since I have started the LCD, I have lost 6 kg. This included 2 weeks of induction (no alcohol) followed by 1 week of vacation where had alcohol daily (beer, whiskey) but was cautious with my carbs. After my vacation, I am controlling my carbs to 50-100 gms per day with ocassional whiskey during weekeday, and on weekends (2-3 drinks per day - 1.5 ounce per drink). During the whole time since i started LCD, I go for a run or biking every day. I have not started measuring ketosis in my body but ordered ketones stick through amazon yesterday after reading few forums here. I did feel light headedness yesterday afternoon, probably because of ketosis (have felt similar to this in my induction phase). I do feel lighter, more agile when I control my carbs.

Good to know that you are not abandoning alcohol completely out of your life;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Although during first 2 weeks I practically had no alcohol, I know that this cannot be a lifestyle change for me (I dont want to lead a boring life!).

If you genuinely think you can't have fun without alcohol, you...might want to reconsider your priorities in life...and maybe some of the people...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    There are many things we can use as an emotional crutch that can increase our % of fat I am learning personally. I am trying to make sure I do not use chemicals to control my mental state but it is easier said than done. Over time I have decided in my case abandoning stumbling blocks in my path to better health is the smart thing to do at my age with time running out for positive changes to have much value going forward. There are so many carb sources to trip me up in all social settings I seem to keep forgetting. Food and drink can be such pressure points when around others I find.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol except during vacations which is 2x's a year. I don't miss it. I'm going out to socialize, not get drunk.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hangover has never been a problem with me.

Be careful, you might discover you don't have the same capacity that you had before. Both my SO and I have found that we cannot drink like we did before without feeling some unpleasant effects the next day.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Be careful, you might discover you don't have the same capacity that you had before. Both my SO and I have found that we cannot drink like we did before without feeling some unpleasant effects the next day.

Also, it doesn't take as much to reach a given level of nonsobriety. ie - if it used to take you three whiskey and tonics to get between tipsy and "just about drunk," you may find that it now only takes one or two. Makes for a cheaper night out. :)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Liquors seem to have no effect on ketosis for me but I notice with wine I tend to slow down on weight loss and bloat up. Probably the quantity :-O
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Also, it doesn't take as much to reach a given level of nonsobriety. ie - if it used to take you three whiskey and tonics to get between tipsy and "just about drunk," you may find that it now only takes one or two. Makes for a cheaper night out. :)

Are you suggesting that this is because of low carb diet or ketosis?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Also if you get thinner you get drunk quicker!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The body perceives alcohol as a toxin, so it gets first priority handled by liver. Meaning it probably slows down fat burning. I don't know if ketone production halts too. If you can lose weight drinking every day, then you're lucky. For many it would stall or slow. It literally steals hours from fat burning, depending on volume :( Alcohol also has a considerable amount of calories, so it boils down to nutritional lifestyle choices. For ex. if 50% of caloric intake is alcohol and doing a deficit...the risk of not getting all the nutrients the body needs to function properly is higher. Not saying this is you. But many people who have high alcohol/nutrients ratio also get pot bellies with skinny legs.

I do drink on occasion, but I don't think I could do it every day, even though I love wine!

Dieting is not just about efficiency and optimalization. Adherence and compliance is very important too, IMO. So find compromises that works for YOUR body and life. Balance is key :)

Edit: spelling. Inserted extra in italics.

• vikashsinha
    Options
    Yes makes sense. I plan to take a drink or two during weekends. If I see that it is stalling my weight loss, I will adapt my plan. I think, daily exercise is important to burn off the extra calories which you may be taking. Its a fine line been discipline and being so rigid that you stop enjoying your life. LCD has given me the discipline in all general aspects of life. Earlier before I started LCD, I was running weekly but very inconsistently. These days after I started LCD, I run daily (except for the days when I bike), and feel not so good if I have to miss out on running. The bottom line is that I am enjoying what I am doing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Are you suggesting that this is because of low carb diet or ketosis?

I believe it has to do with alcohol inhibiting glucogenesis, which your brain and organs need to function. Glucogenesis is where the liver synthesizes glucose from non carbohydrate sources in your body, but the liver has to deal with the alcohol first and foremost. People who are eating carbs, their body is using that as a source of glucose, so the liver being busy with the alcohol doesn't affect them as immediately or intensely.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am new to LCHF as well (about 2 weeks now). I quit smoking in March 2015 and have found myself drinking 2-3 times a week since then just to take the edge off. :) I WAS a wine drinker, but have tried Crystal Light Lemonade mix and rum the past 2 weekends and it hasn't slowed my weight loss or made me feel any different. Of course, that is mixing 1-2 shots in with about 12 oz of water, and only 1 or 2 in that weekend. I do think it doesn't HELP my weight loss..but it keeps me from going for the Debbie Cakes my husband has when I have a sweet tooth. :smiley: As long as it fits within my carbs and my calories, I don't feel bad about it. Thanks for the above suggestions, everyone. I will have to try the Vodka and Mio!