KISS: Keep It Simple September

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
This month our group challenge will be KISS: Keep It Simple September

Choose a goal that will simplify your weightloss or fitness journey in some way.

Some might simplify their September by:
  • De-stressing their lives by weighing less frequently.
  • Picking up a good habit like batch cooking for the week on a free day or planning their menus ahead that makes things easier.
  • Simplifying their intake by reducing or eliminating sweeteners (artificial or sugar) or processed foods.
  • Avoiding or reducing alcohol intake. ("Not that there's any thing wrong with that." :wink: )
  • Streamlining a workout routine or daily schedule.

Or come up with your own. One member suggested they were simply going to make sure they exercised every day. Anything goes really. This is YOUR show.

We'll keep our check-ins to this thread. It will appear as of Sept 1st as a sticky at the top of the page for easy reference.

Pop in and drop your goals here, chat about how it's going, and/or receive support or advice from this month's challengers. At the very least, check in every Tuesday this month to let us know how your goal is working for you. And then give us a monthly report on the 30th.

Happy simplifying.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Here's mine:

KISS Goal:
    1. Stop driving myself bats weighing every day. It does nothing but get me wound up when the scale is being an idiot. And then I act like an idiot. Stop it!
    2. Cut the alcohol. All my husband buys is rotgut bottom-shelf vodka. Sure it feels nice being all relaxed for a short period, but I sleep terribly and am a grouchy, hung-over jerk the next day. What is this benefiting me? It blows out my calories. I feel awful. I don't need booze to have a good evening. Stop it!

Implementation Plan:
    • Weigh once weekly on Tuesday only.
    • Doing something else with my weekend nights better than wasting calories on getting buzzed. Maybe drink some herbal tea or plan a LC snack to enjoy. Still working on this. I basically put the kids to bed, drink up while watching something on Netflix with DH and then go to bed.

Expected results:

Simplify my life by eliminating stress over the scale and stress on my body from punishing my liver. And if I still don't lose anything (those EVIL last 10lb. Ugh!), I'll have nixed 2 bad habits that don't serve me, and I'm better off without them.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Mine is I'm going to weigh tomorrow then not again until the end of the month.....I've been on a stall for weeks and driving myself batshit mental about it to the point I NEED to eat crap..... (haven't but I'm soooooo close)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    This challenge really works for me this month. I've been wanting to start batch cooking regularly for my meals for the week. I also really need to cut out the alcohol, it starts with one drink a night but then turns into multiple drinks every night. Its taking up calories i need for actual food so i don't feel so run down each day.

this should help financially too, less money on alcohol less money at the convenience store trying to find something lc frieldnly for lunch because i didn't prepare anything.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Goal Do physical exercise 5 days/week for at least 30 minutes.
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym early on the morning 4-5 days a week but don't do any other activity. The plan is to walk or do squats /situps 3 days a week.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

KISS Goal:

1) I am going to stop weighing every day. I have been at a stall for a few weeks with only a little drop a few days ago that came right back. I keep saying that seeing the scale fluctuate doesn't bother me, but that's only true if it gives me a new low number on a weekly basis. I admit that I now am too concerned with it on a daily basis. I am simplifying by removing daily weighing.

2) I also want to reduce the amount of sugar free coffee syrup I use. I have noticed that sweet taste sensitivity has gotten to the point that I have been going for an extra half pump of syrup. It used to taste sweet enough with only 2 and I got up to 3.5! That's almost doubling my artificial sweetener use. Plus, I believe that too much sweet taste can cause me to crave more and that's not something I'm ok with.

Implementation Plan:

I will weigh in once a week on Tuesday, and I will cut the coffee syrup back to no more than 2 pumps by a gradual reduction day by day to regain the sensitivity of taste.

Expected results:

I expect to be more relaxed throughout the week regarding weight and be able to work my diet and exercise plan less focused on loss and more focused on simply doing what I know is best for me.
    As far as cutting back the AFS, I just think the less I use the better for my body and I don't like that I will drink coffee a certain way for weeks and all of a sudden I don't think it tastes as sweet anymore so I add more... I feel like this is just another way of over doing it and there's no need. So I will cut back and retrain my taste preference to be more sensitive and will enjoy less sweetener again.
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm in. Planning to simplify Sept by:
    * Not weighing myself for the month - eek!!!
    * Simplifying my diet by eating the same breakfast (omelette) and lunch (salad) each day.
    * Simplify my exercise by following a set programme (fitness blender on YouTube)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KISS Goal:
    1. Get back to basics. Lately, I have been trying too many faux foods (almond flour is so NOT my friend), letting my quantities creep (not even carb foods, just in general), eating too much of keto desserts to the point of getting sick or eating way too much, stopped eating basic foods/depending on weird stuff.
    2. Focus on my water. I haven't hit a single water goal in a month. SAD.
    3. Work towards getting more sleep. I had gotten up to getting nearly 7 hours a night (up from 4.5 average), and then I added in some mindfulness destressing, which took up far more time than intended, and I'm back to 4.5-5 hours a night... I just can't do that! And if something prevents me from sleeping when preferred (insomnia or life, etc), work on getting more self care in - it's relaxing and needs to become routine.

Implementation Plan:
    1. Focus on meal prepping for my breakfast. Eggs, sausage, cheese, etc. Batch cook on weekends/evenings so I can just reheat in the mornings. Stop experimenting. Get back to individually portioned fat bombs and fat bombs that agree with me more. Repeat: eggs, meats (not generally processed), and the veggies I love. Have the majority of my daily intake be real food, not some fill in item that "fits the fat macro" but has no other nutritional value.
    2. Drink a water bottle fully before getting out of bed. Retool my reminders on my water tracking app to be more value-added. Make it a habit again.
    3. Going to start tracking tomorrow night, then work to add a minimum of 10 minutes per night until I'm over 6 hours of sleep. Target is 7 hours, as I just don't know if 8 hours is feasible, as going to bed at 9 pm means dinner then bed - no couple time, which is essential to both of our sanity. The first and last 30 minutes of my day should be all about me, rejuvenating and relaxing. I have a few new things I'm hoping to put in the rotation this month.

Expected results:

I want to get that scale and those sizes trending downward again. I've been kind of stuck in a "transporter loop" of my own making. I've looped past this low weight at least twice, and it is my intention to make this time the last time. All of these items above will add peace and quality of life to mine. My primary focus is on my health, and I want to make some more good strides before my next check ups in October.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Look better naked

I have a few spots of fat I need to get rid of that are not really apparent when clothed

My kitten thinks I am silly about it but it is a reachable goal

5 pounds would probably be a visible loss.
  • Vartor_the_Barbarian_
    Options
    Hello all :)

Goal: Paleo September...'cause I've switched jobs, had a stressful summer, and ate craptastically

Method: Shop Paleo, prep meals, use the Paleo app, give and receive support along the way.

Expectation: Less fat, more energy, feel better, be invincible, buy a superhero outfit and defeat bad guys with my mad skills...yo

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My wife wants a bigger house. I told her we just need to get rid of stuff, and the house will seem bigger.

So my simple goal to simplify my life: get rid of at least one thing every single day of September.

If I get desperate, I'll start asking for your addresses so I can send you stuff. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    My wife wants a bigger house. I told her we just need to get rid of stuff, and the house will seem bigger.

So my simple goal to simplify my life: get rid of at least one thing every single day of September.

If I get desperate, I'll start asking for your addresses so I can send you stuff. :)

I have a small house and a few years ago I got rid of so much crap! It really does make it seem larger. I also had a lot of color on the walls. Different color in almost every room. Then I painted everything a nice warm sandy tone and that made such a huge difference! I couldn't believe it.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    KISS Goals:
    1. Start C25K. Going to the gym without a set program/plan is not helping me. It just adds mental stress about which machine to use.
    2. Meal prep. I spend way too much time trying to put together lunch every morning.
    3. Keep my laundry done each weekend. Not diet or exercise related, but a huge source of stress for me is either not having clean clothes, or the clothes that are clean not making outfits.

Plan:
    1. Gym on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
    2. Cook in large batches on the weekends and evenings so I have preportioned lunches/dinners for when I'm at school.
    3. Sunday is laundry day.

Expectations:
    1. Less wasted gym time deciding what to do.
    2. Healthier, more balanced meals that I don't have to think about each day.
    3. Less morning stress when my brain isn't functioning yet anyway!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to weigh myself everyday so there's that. I'm gonna pray so that the carb cravings don't get me.

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I am going to learn hooping for exercise. A little every day. Right now I can't even get it to stay up on my hips. But I'll get there. It looks really fun.
    I'm also in the home stretch for my weight destination, so I need to figure out a solid maintenace plan.
    I am terrified of relapsing and gaining back weight, as I have done over and over in my life.
    Good luck everyone.

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I am going to learn hooping for exercise. A little every day. Right now I can't even get it to stay up on my hips. But I'll get there. It looks really fun.
    I'm also in the home stretch for my weight destination, so I need to figure out a solid maintenace plan.
    I am terrified of relapsing and gaining back weight, as I have done over and over in my life.
    Good luck everyone.

I feel you on maintenance issues

I am adding active hobbies to transition to the last 10 pounds gone and holding

Good luck to you as well
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My KISS will be:

Karb-Free (as can be)
    Isometric Training
    Simple Foods and Recipes
    Strength Building Exercises
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    My KISS will be to Keep It Simply Savage, and transition back to Zero Carb once my garden veggies are done in a couple of weeks...oh and hopefully more kissing too. ;)
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Goals for the month....move more, the weather has finally cooled it's time to get out and see the world.....weigh myself less, I'm not going to weigh all month....it has become compulsive and it must stop!
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My KISS: be sure to get my water in on the week ends. I keep my 24 oz bottle on my desk at work and easily drink 3 during the day, then comes the week end and I forget to get the water in!