KISS: Keep It Simple September

Options

Replies

• shanrei
    shanrei Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I loved reading everyone's KISS goals. Mine are simple. I've been in the middle of a major stall because I've been letting bad habits back in to my daily routine. So, my goal is get back to the basics.

1...Eat high protein/low carb/low calorie
    2...Plan my food
    3...Track what I put in my mouth
    4...Drink my water
    5...Take my vitamins
    6...Exercise
    7...Stay away from empty calories

So far it's working. The scale is moving again. Yay!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options

Eat good, rest, give it hell...

Precisely. I so want to steal that.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I got injured at the gym yesterday. I'm rolling on opiate derived pain killers. It's a tad bit better today, so hopefully it will heal within the week (crossing fingers). It means that I have to rest up and heal as best as I can. Meaning, I'll abandon the goals of strength class and less pork rinds for now.

I have not weighed any foods, so one of the goals for this challenge is intact. Without any scale gain so far :)

Good luck everyone for the remaining part of KISS!
  • bettershapefinallyplease
    Options
    I am new to the group so I apologize now if I post in the wrong spot. I want to share what my simple things are going to be.
    1. Keeping my meals low in sugar and carbs.
    2. Exercise every day to prepare for a November 1st 5K with my son.
    I have PsA so I am taking it slow. Learning how best to eat to lower my pre-diabetic number in six months before my next test.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »
    Goal Do physical exercise 5 days/week for at least 30 minutes.

Almost halfway through the month and so far each day has consisted of physical exercise for at least 30 minutes. Today is the first day that I did actual gym exercises and I'm feeling amazing! :bigsmile:
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    my goal was to increase water intake. Glad to say I've done 2 qts most days & am now aiming for 1 more qt which = 96 oz. And most days am only doing 1 diet coke (slip sometimes to 2 or 3 tho, darn it).

• pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    pondsbb wrote: »
    pondsbb wrote: »
    My KISS
    Put the scales away for the month
    Add a stretch/yoga routine three days a week
    Eat simpiler..things like steak, broccoli and butter and things that don't take a lot of prep
    Prep snacks on weeked for entire week like boiled eggs, celery sticks, carrot sticks, dip.

Goal- to end the month feeling rejuvenated and hopefully weigh end of month with a loss.

Good luck all. Hope your week goals go better than mine.

I have already missed my yoga this week because of camping and boating. It is hard to yoga on water.

I did get in exercise. Water skiing.

My food choices have been a labor day week mess.

The only thing I prepped was some bell peppers and dip and hubby ate half of that in one day.

The only thing I have managed is not weighing. I haven't had time.

So far my rejuvenation is legs that feel like rubber from the skiing. I'm a bit dizzy too.

Hopefully next week will fair better.

Week two- Total wreck, nuff said. I'm having fun though.

I have managed to stay off scales. Too busy to think about it.
  • DominoTr
    DominoTr Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    does it count half way through the month? LOL...

Okay, here goes:

1) Get back to routines - walk dogs twice a day for 30 min
    2) Weigh myself once a week, same day/time
    3) Do a bit more prep-work to plan meals menu
    4) Get back into working out daily - huge one
    5) Go to bed same time every day
    6) Get that water into me - I'm so bad with this
    7) Gratitude journal am/pm to celebrate myself, my achievements and my good fortune
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Week 2 check in - not so great. I ended up with a low blood pressure episode that knocked me for a loop. I did not do my two days of IF in week 2 because I was so dizzy and lightheaded. Did not start my exercise program either. But did manage to eat pretty simply, mostly just meat, salads and lots of eggs. The good news in this is that I've been able to reduce my BP meds!
  • baconslave
    Options
    DominoTr wrote: »
    does it count half way through the month? LOL...

Okay, here goes:

1) Get back to routines - walk dogs twice a day for 30 min
    2) Weigh myself once a week, same day/time
    3) Do a bit more prep-work to plan meals menu
    4) Get back into working out daily - huge one
    5) Go to bed same time every day
    6) Get that water into me - I'm so bad with this
    7) Gratitude journal am/pm to celebrate myself, my achievements and my good fortune

Anyone is more than welcome to just jump in any time. :smile:
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Basic thing for me, go at it hard. It isn't complex

Got in115 miles of cycling Friday thru Sunday. Been consistent at 13% body fat for a few days now.

Gonna eat a little less and take a few rest days. Hold on to this loss.

So far keeping it simple has been good.
  • DominoTr
    DominoTr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks baconslave :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much succeeded at meat-only with the exception of a few extra dressings that I chose not to omit. But now I find myself on a very frustrating hunt for pork belly. The one place I thought was sure to have it just shook their head at me like it was stupid to ask. Puh!

I did have a couple pumpkin spice coffees with real pumpkin puree to celebrate the oncoming autumn, but the third was kinda bitter and nasty at the end, so I think I'm cured! I switched most of my coffee intake to black cold-brew, as well, which is a miracle on its own.

Oh, and since I began, my average weight was circling 147. Now I'm circling 145. Looks like it's going to be a good month's loss for me!

And yes, the mosquitoes (which we seem to have an infestation of in the house) are leaving me alone just like they did last time I was meat only. Bonus NSV!

Mostly I've been eating very rare steak. Breakfast is usually hardboiled eggs, sometimes fried over steak if I have leftovers). Had chicken thighs for lunch yesterday. Need to pick up bacon if no one is going to sell me pork belly because I want more fat to get my day going since I ditched the cream in my AM coffee. I still have trouble getting in all my water on Saturdays, but every other day has been at goal if not well above.

Now that recent piercings and tattoos are stable, I've been getting back to my exercise. There's a new DoYouYoga free 2 week challenge course so I think I'm going to take that up after I revisit one of the less intensive courses to get myself back into it.

Unrelated to what I eat or exercise, I've been working on projects in my off hours that have me sitting in uncomfortable chairs more than usual, so my back has been hurting. I think this is exacerbated by not keeping up with the core exercises while I was healing.
  • baconslave
    Options
    KISS Goal:
    • Stop driving myself bats weighing every day. It does nothing but get me wound up when the scale is being an idiot. And then I act like an idiot. Stop it!
    • Cut the alcohol. All my husband buys is rotgut bottom-shelf vodka. Sure it feels nice being all relaxed for a short period, but I sleep terribly and am a grouchy, hung-over jerk the next day. What is this benefiting me? It blows out my calories. I feel awful. I don't need booze to have a good evening. Stop it!

Sept 8th update:
    So far so good. Not a drop of booze. I weighed-in last week at 159. Didn't weigh until this morning. And I'm up 2lb to 161. Which isn't surprising in the least since I made a bit too liberal with carbs the past 2 days and I believe TOM is lurking ready to pounce. I really got kindof depressed yesterday since the "holiday" is over. Homeschooling burns me out pretty regularly. (Wait until winter... when I'm stuck in the house for days due to snow...hooboy.) I spent most of the evenings of our camping trip running the 4 kids back to town for soccer practices (45min drive one way) and to the house after to feed the kitties, and the rest of the time roasting to death and getting pissed off by the in-laws. I really wanted a drink...so I ate a half-bag of semi-sweet choc chips instead. Not the best decision ever, I must admit.

I also need to add cutting down on the artificial sweetener to my monthly goal. I've been suspicious for awhile about this. It turns out if I have too much aspartame, and/or ace K, in a day, TMI alert, it causes me kidney and bladder pain. Feels like I have a UTI, and I'm running to the bathroom feeling like I need to pee constantly (when my bladder isn't even close to full.) So it may not cause me cancer or poison me, but it is the devil in another way. So I need to make sure to keep the diet sodas to 1 or less per day.

So...weekly take-away: I need to not be a dumbarse and make sure I have the Tension Tamer tea and light a lavender candle in the evenings or something so I can zen out enough to stay out of the choc chips.

Sept 15th update:
    SW: 159
    Week 1: 161
    Week 2: 158.2

So. On Friday I experienced some well-intentioned-spousal-sabotage. Hubby mixed me a strong drink. Even though he knew that I was trying to stay away from the stuff. He'd already mixed his own, so he wouldn't be drinking it. So to not waste the expensive drink, I went ahead. But I paid him back though by waking up at 4am with hot flashes and not able to go back to sleep, which woke him up and my tossing-and-turning kept him awake. Served him right. I think he finally gets it.

I kept my diet soda/(ace K & aspartame) down and am not having as much of an issue. Thankfully, but I still have to get up 3 times a night (with legitimate reason-as in very full bladder), which I get tired of. If I'm going to dump water, I'd rather it be in the daylight hours, TYVM! I don't drink a lot of fluids before bed. This is getting dumb.

Anyway...
    I stayed away from those damn choc chips thanks to tea and gum. So I'm back down to my August weight. It's not my low, though. I've been working hard to keep the cals to 1550 during the week, and allowing myself to eat a few hundred cals more on the weekend. Which I probably should stop. But it's really hard when restaurants are ridiculous calorie-wise. And I end up being places I can't track. Eating to satiety for me means eating maintenance. So if I don't track, I don't lose. Gripe, whine, grouse.

Must remind the DH to not share with me this weekend. I think I'll budget in a LC choc cheesecake (single serving) for Saturday night to make it special without me having to hit the booze. The kids will be gone for the night to the grandparents. I think part of the problem is that I feel like celebrating/having a good time. Which used to mean either getting drunk or eating a bunch of junk. Now that I don't do that any more, I don't know what to do with myself. It's going to be a process...I think.

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I've been meaning to post here since it first went up. Sorry for my lateness. I've been on an egg fast since Sunday, because I'd let things get out of hand and when I replaced my scale batteries I saw the weight going up a tiny bit. Simplicity is good!

KISS Goals/Plan:
    1) Simplify my eating by continuing the egg fast on workdays and regular LCHF on weekends, focusing primarily on meat, eggs, vegetables, and a little dairy on my non-egg-fasting days.
    2) Drink at least 96oz water but preferably 128oz (I have a 32-ounce water bottle and try to empty it 4 times a day).
    3) Take my supplements every single day.
    4) Declutter my finances. I won't go into detail on this.
    :smile:

Expected results:
    1&2) I don't expect to lose as much weight on subsequent egg fasts as I did this first time (I am down 5.6 lbs over 5 days of egg fasting), but I will be happy with a couple pounds a week on average.
    3) Have more energy and fewer undesired symptoms (like muscle cramps, etc.).
    4) To begin to see the light at the end of a very long tunnel and to not be in constant crisis/stress mode, which should substantially improve my relationship with my husband.

Starting Weight:
    September 1 Weight: 189.4
    Today's Weight: 187.4
    I also took measurements yesterday and will be tracking them to see my progress.

This week I did not do very well, and my weight is actually up (190.6 this morning).

1) I ran out of eggs, so I did not egg fast this week. In fact, I did not LCHF very well either. My baby turned 1 on Friday, and I splurged on pizza and birthday cake twice--once at our party for him and once at mother-in-law's party for him (although, in actuality, the second serving of cake was probably more a reaction to my football team losing, LOL). I am still focusing on simplifying things this month, though, so instead of egg fasting I'm doing more intermittent fasting during the week (BPC fast, not water--I'm not brave enough, plus I do love my coffee!).
    2) I've been doing really well with water--usually drinking 128 ounces on work days. Weekends have been better, but probably more like 64-96 ounces each day.
    3) I skipped my supplements twice over the weekend, and I paid for it dearly in the form of the worst leg and foot cramps I have ever had in my life. I finally added a Supplements category on MFP so I can remember to log them, which helps me remember to take them too.
    4) I'm still working on this. :)
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    KISS Goal: 1) Be able to button up my jeans again (I refuse to buy the next size up). Fall is coming soon and I can't wear my stretchy shorts forever.

Implementation Plan: 1) Stick diligently with LCHF (under 50g carb). Not just for fat loss, but to keep from feeling all bloated and crappy; hence my pants will fit better. 2) Walk daily, either right after I drop my son at school or get there early to pick him up and take a walk in the arbouretum right next to the school. 3) Yoga.

Expected results: Feel comfortable in my own clothes.

So far...

1) I have been hit or miss on the under 50 carbs. Most days I struggle with this. But working on it.
    2) So far pretty good with the walking! Ealy in the mornings is best, though the heat wave broke and I have been able to go later in the day. I also built myself a standing desk out of cardboard boxes so I am on my feet most of the day instead of sitting for long periods of time.
    3) 1 day of yoga so far. And it was a gentle stretch class so I am not sure how much that counts (did not work up a sweat!)

Results... a few days last week I was 2 lbs down and felt great! It was all water weight I am sure. Trying to get back there again. I can button my jeans but they are not super comfortable yet.

• clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    KISS Goal:
    How about simply get started! Today is the first day of my plan and my goal is to get to nothing but meat, eggs, veggies, and little fruit period

Implementation Plan:
    Meal plan as much as possible. I have been able to get breakfast and lunch sorted for this week, supper will be more difficult but I can always just have the meat and veggies my family has and leave the starches alone.

Expected results:
    Feel better about me for taking the steps to make a change and in turn gain the ability to continue.

Weight today: 309 going to set my goal weight to 304 since I have no idea how fast or slow it will come off yet
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Exercising daily: I think I've done this every day but one, so far. The variety has been fun: yoga, Pilates, gardening, swimming, resistance exercises, stretching, walking, hiking... I wonder what else I can throw in before the month is out.

I haven't had a chance to catch up on your posts in this thread yet, but will soon. I'm curious to know how it's going for those of you who are ditching the scale or tracking for a while, as I'd like to reach the point where I can confidently do that, too.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Feeling that good sore

Went back to some old school compound heavy exercises

Got in some bent over rows and finished up with 3 sets of 10 deadlifts at 285. A nice good sore beyond the lifting muscles into the stabilizer muscles

Woke up at 2;30 hungry and sore and had a protein shake. Had not been there since my University days

It is a good thing to take it back to the basics once in a while

Odd as it is, this has been a good month for lowering body fat percentage. May just be muscle holding water tricking the body comp scale

I'll take it though

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    LuizH wrote: »
    LuizH wrote: »
    I'm just back from holiday with an extra kilo of carb-weight in tow from letting my diet slip quite a few times over the week.

My goal for September is back to basics:
    - Get back to proper keto eating again including using my keto-strips once a week
    - Do some form of exercise EVERY DAY in September. Keeping it simple so it doesn't matter what the exercise is as long as it raises my heart rate for at least 30 mins per day

I'm a bit late checking in for week 1 but I'm pretty pleased with myself so far.
    I got back to keto nice and easily. I have very simple meals of meat with veg or meat with cheese, I would happily eat like this for the rest of my life! My keto sticks were pink again after 2 days so I have put them away for a while, I know that once I'm in ketosis it's easy to sustain just by watching my carbs. I've also been really good with my vitamins which I'd not been taking as frequently as I should.

I'm kind of IFing because I don't eat breakfast so my first meal of the day is generally around 12-1pm, but I'm not calling it IF because I don't want to put that pressure on myself. I just see it as a way to earn more butter for my steak later in the day ;)

I have exercised every day so far in September apart from last Saturday which I took as a rest day, although I spent the day school-uniform shopping with my kids so it was hardly restful!

This is all working for me so far, since 1st September I've lost over 2 kilos (although the first one was holiday weight and probably just water retention from eating too many carbs while we were away). KISS seems to be the way forward!

Week 2 update. I haven't bothered with keto strips this week because I'm pretty sure I've managed to stay in ketosis. I exercised for at least an hour a day every day except Saturday last week again. I've lost 0.7kg (around 1.5lbs) so I'm happy that the weight loss is steady. Still IFing and I almost managed a meativore day yesterday (just 5g of carbs from the handful of veggies I had with my steak last night)