Batch cooking for September challenge

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
For part of the KISS challenge I want to start batch cooking for the week, I'd like to do breakfast and lunch if possible. I have no idea how to do this. I know one week I made pulled pork for diner and had leftovers for lunch every day that week. It was intentional but awesome because I didn't have to think about what I would eat.

I'm hoping those of you that have experience doing this can maybe provide some tips or recipes for those of us who are new to it.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Last night I cooked up a pound of bacon, about two pounds of pork sausage, and scrambled 10 eggs. They went into microwave safe containers. (We then heat up what we want, he dumps his in tortillas, mine are "bowls". He adds salsa, I don't...etc.)

The other things I do are make a huge roast that will be 2-3 meals for 2 people. Or 4 plus pounds of ground beef with taco seasonings at a time, then we can have taco salads, tacos, burritos, dip, whatever. Those are the biggest ones I do easily. You can then portion it out in freezer containers if you need it to last longer or just in single serving containers.

There were a lot of good ideas on @sweetteadrinker2 (I think?) post last week about portioning things up:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10241828/on-the-hunt-for-lc-microwavable-lunch-dinner-meals-ideas#latest

I'd recommend starting simple with something you can mix up and make differently if you get bored! And maybe only one or two things at a time until you get the hang of it. Don't want to overwhelm quickly.

Oh, and tonight I'll be making Jello Fat Bombs and portioning them out....so that's another "batch."
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of lamb meatballs about a week ago and froze most of them. They heat up really well for a quick lunch of 3 meatballs, add some cheese and a small salad. I also cook enough bacon on the weekends to have one piece with breakfast each morning. And enough bacon fat for cooking with all week.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My mom came up with some good ideas in addition to what's on that thread.
    Posole(leave out the hominy)
    Ground beef with mushrooms
    Pre-made bpc. Going to make it in pint mason jars and store in the fridge, microwave and shake it up each morning.
    Batch cooking bacon for blts.
    Preportioned celery and peanut/coconut butter.
    Pre-cooking chuck steaks en masse on the bbq so I have grab and go food if I need it.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thank you. I think this weekend I'll start with mini frittata muffins, and crock pot meatballs, and eggplant lasagna.

When you guys do this do you eat what you cook as a meal that day too, or make something separate?
  • karlaweymier
    karlaweymier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do crockpots of chicken. Last week it was buffalo chicken, this week cranberry bbq. I put them into 4 oz servings and freeze them. Then I can take out one serving a day, and it keeps my lunch cold. Its super simple, but it still gives me some choice so I don't have to have the same thing every day if I don't want to. I start with 2.5 lbs of chicken and I get at least 10 servings out of it. They are homemade so I can keep the carbs pretty low.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I do the batch chicken too to make chicken and broth and also hard boiled eggs on the weekends.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Last night I ate leftovers when batch cooking because it was too hot. I try to always have something quick for times like this. But if I were doing it all day Saturday or Sunday aka my days off, likely the first serving of the batch would be my meal. Lol
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do frittata on Sunday and it is breakfast for the week. I use sausage, spinach and cheese with eggs and cream, and whatever spices( nutmeg is nice). Soups are good for lunches or cold roast beef or chicken in a salad or with tomatoes and mayo for lunch.
  • 915kat
    915kat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do crockpots of chicken. Last week it was buffalo chicken, this week cranberry bbq. I put them into 4 oz servings and freeze them. Then I can take out one serving a day, and it keeps my lunch cold. Its super simple, but it still gives me some choice so I don't have to have the same thing every day if I don't want to. I start with 2.5 lbs of chicken and I get at least 10 servings out of it. They are homemade so I can keep the carbs pretty low.
    I do alot of crockpot meals. I even do batches where I prep and freeze them so I just dump and put liquid and let it do its thing! Tonight was chicken and "rice" aka cauliflower rice.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do whole tubs of Aligot, a french cheese sauce/puree/dip, from a region called Aveyron. Traditionally it's made from boiled potato, a sharp, rather fresh cheese (you can use emmenthal or even cheddar, or even shredded mozzarella and parmigiano), sour cream and butter. Seasonings are salt, pepper and I also add some cayenne. I subsitute cauliflower for the potatos. Aligot is fairly thin, more like a sauce than a mash. It's the perfect complement to steaks, any roast meat really, but can also be eaten on its own with a salad.

For 350g cauliflower I use 150g cheese, 100g sour cream, 50g butter, seasoning to taste. This yields 4 servings. The secret to aligot is to whip it vigorously with a wooden spoon.

It's incredibly filling.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    I do whole tubs of Aligot, a french cheese sauce/puree/dip, from a region called Aveyron. Traditionally it's made from boiled potato, a sharp, rather fresh cheese (you can use emmenthal or even cheddar, or even shredded mozzarella and parmigiano), sour cream and butter. Seasonings are salt, pepper and I also add some cayenne. I subsitute cauliflower for the potatos. Aligot is fairly thin, more like a sauce than a mash. It's the perfect complement to steaks, any roast meat really, but can also be eaten on its own with a salad.

For 350g cauliflower I use 150g cheese, 100g sour cream, 50g butter, seasoning to taste. This yields 4 servings. The secret to aligot is to whip it vigorously with a wooden spoon.

It's incredibly filling.

That sounds absolutely delicious!
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm now it's getting colder here I will get my crockpot out again. Anyone got any LCHF recipes for salmon fillets? I have 4 hanging around here!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    abrkvcyqa94k.jpg

I bought one of these things. Honestly, I hate appliances in general but this thing is the best. You feed vegetables in the top and they spit out into a bowl, either sliced or grated. I grated a whole head of cauliflower in a couple of minutes and it was so easy to clean (rinse under the tap, the whole front bit comes off). I used to try and do cauliflower in my food processor but the mess was not worth it.

I mixed the grated cauliflower with egg, cheese, cream cheese, almond flour, onion and garlic powder, topped with parmesan and baked. It gave me 6 large squares at about 260 cals and 5 carbs each. And it tasted so good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Is it a modified food processor? A grinder with veggie attachments? From the picture, I can see what it does, but not how I would find one.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    that thing looks cool, my next gadget is going to be a spiralizer, I found that my slow juicer does wonders on cauliflower and removes the extra moisture which is perfect for making crust or patties with.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I haunt the r/MealPrepSunday subreddit for ideas. During the weekend I usually grocery shop, and make three day's worth of lunches and dinners, and prep ingredients for the rest of the week. So, last weekend I made curried chicken for dinner and put the leftovers in containers for Monday's lunch. I baked four servings of chicken drumsticks with broccoli for Tuesday and Wednesday and a taco casserole for the rest of the week. I got a bag of salad and portioned it out into six containers, also got avocados and tomatoes ready to go. When I get home today, I will make food for the next two-three days - I am planning stuffed chicken thighs and a crust-less cheeseburger pie. I have cheese and fresh veggies to round out the meals, and I baked two loaves of keto pumpkin bread for breakfast.
    Pinterest and Reddit have been a big help and motivation to start meal prepping, and it helps me to keep on track as much as I am able. I highly recommend it.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Is it a modified food processor? A grinder with veggie attachments? From the picture, I can see what it does, but not how I would find one.

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/tefal-fresh-express-3-in-1-mb753?CAWELAID=620013790000401486&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CIPJw8G22ccCFQNwvAodSbUGiQ

It basically grates and slices. It's great :)
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love batch cooking. I made several of the crustless quiche recipes to gave pre-portioned meals after my surgery. I still have a buncg in the feeezer as it turned out I dont like them very much lol.

I will be cooking batches of meats I think. I cooked 4 lbs if ground beef with taco type seasonings today. Its all portioned and in the fridge and freezer. I want to di chicken and carnitas, too.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I haunt the r/MealPrepSunday subreddit for ideas. During the weekend I usually grocery shop, and make three day's worth of lunches and dinners, and prep ingredients for the rest of the week. So, last weekend I made curried chicken for dinner and put the leftovers in containers for Monday's lunch. I baked four servings of chicken drumsticks with broccoli for Tuesday and Wednesday and a taco casserole for the rest of the week. I got a bag of salad and portioned it out into six containers, also got avocados and tomatoes ready to go. When I get home today, I will make food for the next two-three days - I am planning stuffed chicken thighs and a crust-less cheeseburger pie. I have cheese and fresh veggies to round out the meals, and I baked two loaves of keto pumpkin bread for breakfast.
    Pinterest and Reddit have been a big help and motivation to start meal prepping, and it helps me to keep on track as much as I am able. I highly recommend it.

Is it the pumpkin loaf from ruled.me? I've been meaning to try that, but with vital wheat gluten and some yeast mixed in. I need some quick breakfast for school.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I will be cooking batches of meats I think. I cooked 4 lbs if ground beef with taco type seasonings today. Its all portioned and in the fridge and freezer. I want to di chicken and carnitas, too.

I can't wait to do a big pot of chili to freeze. I usually do two lbs of meat but I'm thinking more like 4 or 5 would be good since we'll eat it for dinner that night too. I made salsa chicken the other day, not a large batch, just enough for dinner and lunch the next day. I was thinking that would be really good made with chorizo too. Then there are all sorts of options, I can eat it plain, or lettuce tacos, or taco salad, or low carb quesadillas