Super Salad September!

Options

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    Busy busy week here too. I hope to have some time to catch up tonight. Just wanted to check in and say hi!
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Morning! Back in the office today. Really can't complain too much - only two days of trekking in (it takes me an hour to get to work) and the rest working from home. I am one of those real weird odd balls that would truly love working from home. I tell my husband all the time we have our roles reversed - he gets to work from home and I go to the office. Hopefully in a couple of years that will be me. Have you ever had that moment where the stars all align and suddenly you have the perfect insight as to what you really want to do? This happened for me several months ago and it was a huge ah ha. I had been fighting the MBA process and had been rebelling against getting my CPA. Was just truly struggling and questioning everything. But, when I was having a conversation with my husband he asked what my 5 year goal was and it was in that moment of a lot of self reflection that I realized that I truly love accounting. I really do. I also realized that part of why I am struggling at work right now is largely due to the fact that I have spent 9 years getting further and further away from my accounting skills. I still work in finance and deal with a lot of budgets...but...it isn't reconciling, auditing, debits, credits, preparing financials or annual reports. I miss that. After that it was like everything clicked and I realized I really did need to get my CPA because I really would like to start taking on clients of my own and eventually work for myself. In order to do that I have to get my 5th MBA class under my belt to reach the number of hours I need. So, next year it will be a combo year of review for my CPA and wrapping up my MBA. It is going to be an awesome year. Once I get my CPA certification they will knock 5 classes off of my MBA requirements, so, at that point it would be silly to not get it. I feel like I have LASER FOCUS on everything right now. Best place in the world to be.

Karrie - I do wish I could figure out how to get my workouts done every day in the morning. I just can't bring myself to get to work later and have to leave later. I immensely enjoy any day I get to work from home and the weekends especially because it always means morning workouts! My husband thinks I am nuts because even on those days I am up at 5:30 even though I don't technically have to be. I am finding though it really helps me stay on track through the rest of the day.

Lia - CONGRATS on the 2 pounds! Your smoothie sounded yummy. That is pretty close to what I tend to do when I do smoothies. I tend to really load up the spinach. The kids all call it my "green shake" because I put so much in it.

TDH - hope today is a better day for you!

Mihani - good luck to you too today - hope you get a tiny little lull in the day where you can take a breath!

Gotta get the coffee flowing. Lots to do today. Will check back in later.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Down 5 lbs in less then 2 week !!!! Vegetables + weight loss--that is for sure.
    I have been pretty strict following his plan since my diagnosis. Dr F is correct you will not be hungry on this diet. I have been making a point to eat the 1lb cooked and raw and I am so full. No room in my stomach for snacking.

The doctor wants to keep me in the steiords till my next visit on October 5. So my goal is to be really strict till my blood work comes back.

New me I like you goal sounds like you have a passion for numbers and if you have to be spend 40+ hours at something might as well be something you like to do.

Well need to finish my blended salad then Off to work

Everyone have a nice day
  • Mihani
    Options
    I have a lot to catch up on here, but I’m going to make this fairly brief (for me anyway lol).

Laura, you are doing awesome, and I love your energy and enthusiasm. Sounds like things are all clicking diet, exercise, career. Hope everyone is recovering from the flu. I would LOVE to work from home, but it is hard for me to do. I try it sometimes on the weekends, if I have a project to work on that will take hours rather than needing to be in the office where I can get to files.

Lia, it never lightens up, sometimes I feel more able to cope but it’s always too much. That vegan fest sounds amazing… I would love that! Hope the HH meal plans are still going well for you. I tried it once a while back, but for one person it was too much work for me. I tend to make big batches of things and eat them for days rather than mixing things up. I don’t really get bored with leftovers though, if something is good I’m content having the same dinner for a few days.

Karrie, how’d your cooking turn out? I love poblanos. I made a stuffed poblano recipe once, although really I just made it up. And like most of my experiments I’ll never recreate it. I feel sad for my tummy that it will never have those stuffed poblanos exactly like that again. Can’t wait to see how that treehouse turns out! Are you all recovered from your tough mudder?

Terri, I love seeing you posting regularly and doing so well. You’ve always been a huge inspiration to me! And thanks for the great recipes. I’ve read some of Dr. F’s articles on fasting, it’s a really interesting concept. I’ll be looking forward to hearing what you think of the book.

Work is still nuts. I’m going to work Saturday, boss will still be out of town until late Saturday so I should be able to have a really productive day without answering the phone or having him in there. I am taking Sunday off! I bounced back up a few pounds, just stress and being tired, and I gotta get back to the 6 week plan foundation. I know that I feel better when I eat ETL and exercise, but it is so easy to slip out of good habits when tired and stressed. I have come to the conclusion I will never be successful long-term until I find some balance and make that my #1 priority. Work won’t get done if I have a health disaster, so why keep pushing myself to the point where that is inevitable?
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Exactly, Mihani - it IS inevitable!! I always get exhausted just reading about all your hours of work. I would NEVER be able to agree to that.

But I have no balance either, because sure, I get home from work at 4pm and sure I only work 80% of full time, but then I stand in my kitchen from 4pm - 8pm and cook and clean and clean and cook. I didn't sit down last night until 8:30. Ugh. It sucks. And those are the nights where I get to stay home...

I don't know if I mentioned my fall schedule yet...
    - I'm giving up my strength training and treadmill workouts for now to focus on nutrition. I'm re-committing to getting my diet back into ETL and getting it to become my new habit, my new norm.
    - My DD has taken up a flyer route. She's not old enough to walk it alone, so basically WE have a flyer route. I'm walking it with her. It's 3x per week, and it takes us just over an hour. I pull the wagon full of flyers, and she has to run them up to the houses.
    - My mom and I are taking a hoola hoop class at lunch on Tuesdays. It's fun, and challenging, and it's actually a good cardio workout
    - On Monday nights I am taking guitar lessons!! I have always wanted to play, and now I will finally start to learn!!
    - Tuesdays and Wednesdays my kids have their activities, so I play chauffeur
    - Thursdays my hubby is at soccer
    - we have NO STANDING ACTIVITIES on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. YAY!!!!!!

Once I get my nutrition back on track and have it more or less ingrained back into my brain, I will be looking at signing up for my 5am class again. But trying to do it all at the same time is just too much for me right now...

The Mexican Lentils are really quite tasty - I did have to add some extra tomato sauce, because mine was dry, dry, dry! It was burning instead of simmering... But super tasty - and those peppers are a fabulous addition to that meal! I also made the OSG immunity boosting tomato sauce - to pour on top of my spaghetti squash - yum! Tonight I'm making the cheezy broccoli quinoa wraps (OSG) and there's another OSG one too, but I can't remember what the heck it is right now...

The edamame power bowl with the peanut sauce was also very tasty. Even my hubby liked it. Daughter, not so much...

I am 99% recovered from the Tough Mudder. I still have gouges in both of my heels. It's fine in my normal shoes, but my runners rub them all the wrong ways, so I'm just not gonna run for a while longer! lol...

On Wednesday, every school in the city went into lockdown after an anonymous threat was received. I was so stressed out about my poor little babies and my inability to do anything, that I ended up giving myself a stress headache. I picked them up after school instead of letting them ride the bus. Then we had to deliver flyers, eat supper and go to water polo. Finally when we got home, I was just spent. I went to bed at 8pm. I was DONE! My hubby said "So that's it? You're just gonna check out?" I said "I just handled the last 4 hours with the kids, I'm sure you can handle the next ONE" and then I went to bed. Nobody said peep after that...

• Mihani
    Options
    Karrie all your cooking sounds soooo good! I have been meaning to try that power bowl, I will move it up on the list. Glad you are at least mostly recovered from your tough mudder. I'm still in awe you did it at all. So impressed! Your days sound at least as stressful and busy as mine. Granted I work a lot, but when I get home I don't have anything pulling at me. I "should" clean or work on the yard, but I most often don't. I keep the kitchen and bathrooms clean, and seem to have developed a sort of blindness to the dog and cat hair and dust everywhere else lol. How scary that the kids' school had a threat. Glad all is okay! Such a different world children live in now.

I stocked up on lots of good food for the coming week. I have greens and beans, veggies and fruit. I'm going total Dr. F approved. My 5K charity walk is in 10 days so I need to get focused and be ready for that. I know it's just a walk but the folks I'm walking with are in pretty good shape and I want to keep up! I bought 4 different kinds of dried beans, going to cook them up myself. I was doing that for a while, then freezing in serving sizes. They are better and no salt when I make them myself so I am looking forward to getting back to that rather than using canned beans.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Done with work :) today. Off to Rochester to visit my son. On Sunday we are gong to the Patirots Game
    Go PATS! Home on Monday.

I am still strict with the Dr. F diet and I am feeling so much better. Not sure if it is the diet, the drugs or both. I do have to say this is the best I have felt in a long time. Makes me wonder why I starting eating the SAD way again last year.

Carrie still in awe of the tough mudder. Good luck with your busy fall schedule.

Mahini; I don't know how you do all that working. Take some time for yourself.

Everyone have a great weeken
  • tdh1991
    Options
    forgot to share this recipe with all of you. thought it sounded yummy going to make it after my trip

Black and Red Lentil Chili

Black lentils hold their shapes while red lentils break down slightly to thicken the chili. This is one of those dishes that tastes best after the flavors have a chance to blend, so if possible, make it ahead of time and reheat before serving.
    Ingredients

1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups or 1/2 lb.)
    1 large bell pepper, any color, chopped (about 1 cup or 5 oz.)
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon mild chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (or to taste)
    1 cup black (beluga) lentils, rinsed and picked over (see notes below)
    1/4 cup split red lentils (I use Swad Masoor Dal), rinsed and picked over
    4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (I use Pacific Foods Organic)
    1 16-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
    1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt (optional or to taste)

Instructions

Heat your pressure cooker (use the “sauté” or “brown” setting on electric PC’s). Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown, adding water by the tablespoon if they start to stick. Add the peppers and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes, adding water as needed.
    Add all the dry spices and the lentils and cook while stirring for another minute. Stir in the vegetable broth and tomatoes. Lock the lid in place, and bring to high pressure (switch to high pressure setting on electric PC and set timer for 10 minutes). After 10 minutes at high pressure, remove from heat or turn off and allow pressure to come down naturally for at least 10 minutes.
    Use a quick release method to release the pressure and open the lid carefully. Stir and check that lentils are tender; if not, cover loosely with the lid and heat on low (“warm” setting) until they are soft. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, and salt to taste. If the chili seems too thick, add additional broth or water. Check seasonings and add extra to taste. Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.

Notes

If you don’t have a pressure cooker, follow the first steps to brown the vegetables in a large Dutch oven or pot. Then simply cook, covered, on low until the lentils are done, adding additional water or broth if it gets too thick. Allow at least 30 minutes.

If you can’t find black beluga lentils, try using French green lentils, also known as puy lentils.

Preparation time: 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 25 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 4

Nutrition (per serving): 266 calories, 13 calories from fat, 1.5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 811.6mg sodium, 716.6mg potassium, 47.3g carbohydrates, 19.3g fiber, 5.7g sugar, 16.9g protein. Sodium content assumes 1 teaspoon of salt; if not using salt, actual amount per serving is 230mg.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Terri glad to hear you are feeling so good! I have that same feeling when I let myself slide and then get back to eating real food. The difference in how I feel is amazing! That recipe sounds yummy. I think I have everything needed, other than black lentils but I do have some puy lentils around. Hope you have fun on your visit.

I ended up only working a few hours today. I was so tired and had a headache this morning, ended up puttering around too long then thought I would take a nap, and got to the office late. Put in a few hours and brought some files home to work on tomorrow here at home. I'm okay with it, I think. I am so far behind that I should have put in a full day, but I'm seriously about at the end of my energy reserves lately. I really need to plan recovery days though, rather than just letting myself take one because I'm worn out and then feeling guilty about it.

• Mihani
    Options
    I'm ready to get back to full on ETL today, have been letting myself go a bit while I adjusted to not smoking again. I have to admit I love not smoking, I forgot just how much better I feel when I'm not poisoning myself.

I don't know if I'm going back full 6 week plan, I think I'm going to try just hitting the life plan for the next week or so and if there's no weight loss I'll adjust it back closer to the 6 week plan. I haven't had time to cook much, but I have lots of frozen steamfresh veggies which aren't great but are good to have around in a pinch, and I have some Trader Joe's stir-fry veggies which are great. Plus I still have quite a few containers of various soups left in the freezer from my last cooking frenzy. So my plan this week is oatmeal with berries and flax seed for breakfast, big salad for lunch, veggies and brown rice or quinoa or soup for dinner. I'll throw in some beans with lunch and/or dinner. I think this is a very workable plan.

Hope y'all had a good weekend!
  • tdh1991
    Options
    HI all,

Had a fun weekend. Enjoyed spending time with my son and also, seeing the football game.
    We went to my favorite vegan friendly restaurant The Owl House in Rochester, NY.
    They have delicious Buffalo Cauliflower---we all gobbled it up.

On the way home we visited my daughter in Williamstown and went to a vegan friendly Indian Restauran. Firt time I had been to that restaurant. It was so nice they had the menu broken down by eating sytles.
    Vegan, Vegetarian etc. Hopefully, out trip to Nashville and Memphis will be that easy. I did download the Happy Cow app which lists Vegan, Veg friendly restaurants. I will need to prepare.

I have my next doctor visit on Oct. 5th I plan on being really strict till then.

Next few days I will be eating the soups and stews out of the freezer. No point cooking for two days.

Super busy day at work. Will be a 9 am to 8 pm day :(.

Oh well only two day of that.

Have a great day all.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Options
    Hi all. Exciting day today. Got word just before 5am that my little sister is officially in labor at the hospital! Taking a lot to stay here and not book it up there. As long as she has the baby today we will likely head up there tomorrow. Such an exciting time and FINALLY some good news!

Yesterday was a busy day. Despite taking a half day off. You would think that half day would have been filled with leisurely things, however, it was really spent going to the doctor, looking at an apartment for my son, running errands, helping my youngest with homework and then barely eeking in a workout. I think I am going to need to look at changing my schedule around a little on Monday's. For the most part I am able to juggle my workouts with everything else. Tuesdays and Thursdays are long walks at the soccer fields. Wednesday, Friday, Saturday are all morning workouts. Monday seems to be the only day that my work outs cause an issue with getting dinner on the table. By the time I help my youngest with homework (he has some learning disabilities, so, takes a bit more 1:1 time) it was 5:45 before I even headed downstairs for an hour walk. I was hopefully DH would start dinner while I was downstairs, but, honestly, I should have known better. I came upstairs close to 7pm and just felt bewildered, overwhelmed and disappointed. I know I really can't rely on him to do things, so, I need to either tweak my schedule and get up closer to 4:15am to get in my workout or make some other tweak. The other option is to always have a crockpot meal for Monday dinner or do a "fend for yourself" night. There are times that I am just frustrated. The thing is though, I am not going to let that deter me. In the end, I got my workout done yesterday and everyone did eventually eat. So, a successful day despite the obstacles!

Hope everyone has a great day today!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The chili recipe looks good - will have to try it.

Mihani, do NOT feel guilty for taking time to recover. You NEED it. And normal employees do not give up all their spare free time - you really do need to find some balance. Why haven't you got an assistant yet???????

My first guitar lesson was last night - it was really fun. And it felt GOOD to get out of the house BY MYSELF and do something that I've wanted to do for ages. Playing music again is good for me. It's been too long. I used to be in many bands (clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, french horn, bells and percussion), but I didn't really realize how much I missed it until last night.

Our teacher had us playing "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by the end of the first class - impressive! Mind you, we only learned 3 chords and we just strummed on every quarter note beat. Not really playing a song, in my opinion. The thing that did surprise me was that I actually started singing along. I'm not normally a singer in public...

When I got home, my kids wanted a "concert" to hear what I had learned, so they made me play and sing the song 2 more times. :smiley:

Last night I ate the OSG immunity boosting tomato sauce on spaghetti squash - it was such a good combo - my hubby really enjoyed it too. And he kept asking me questions about the squash being healthier than pasta. Interesting development...

Tonight I'm making garlic & dill roasted carrots & parsnips and roasted garlic & herb brussel sprouts. I'm really looking forward to it, as those are 2 of my favorite dishes!! mmm.... THESE are my fall comfort foods...

I've also gotta make some banana muffins, because my bananas are going brown faster than I can eat them! Gotta start freezing them again...
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Leah: would you please share your recipes. thank you
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi pals! I've been battling tooth pain (no fun). We seem to have narrowed it down to a combination of a bum tooth (we knew it was coming) and a sinus infection (good times). It's coming along!
    You all are doing great! Lots of nutrient dense plant foods!
  • Phoenix4me18
    Options
    Hi all! Packed day today, but, had to stop by and tell you all...today was weigh in day for me and I lost another 2 pounds!! That is 11 pounds so far!! So excited!

Back with more later! Keep the recipes coming!
  • tdh1991
    Options
    HI all,

A large break at work today. A lot of patients called in sick today. I guess flu season is starting already.

New me: congrats on the weight loss.

Sabine: hope you feel better. NO fun having pain.

So i read thru the Fasting and Eating for Health. Don't waste your money. He basically said don't fast without medical supervision and you need to take a month off of your life to do this. So, he recommends no more than 3 day fast without medical supervision. So, I hope that the diet alone can quell the inflammation in my body.

Off to Nashville and Memphis tomorrow. Should be a fun trip. We are going to see the Andrew Jackson house, the Gaylord hotel and go line dancing in Nashville. I was shocked my husband suggested to go line dancing because he cannot dance. Saturday and Sunday we will visit my husband's brother in Memphis. Hopefully, I will be able to eat something this trip.

What do you do when you are trying to eat Vegan and you go to a relatives house that are SAD eaters. Any suggestions?

Fresh Tomato Salsa
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 6
    Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
    2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
    1 small red onion, minced
    2 scallions, minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and minced
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    3 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice

Instructions:
    In a mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients.

Serve immediately or refrigerate in a tightly covered container for up to 3 days.

Yields: 2 cups
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 12; CARBOHYDRATES 3g; TOTAL FAT 0.1g; SODIUM 3mg; FIBER 0.7g; BETA-CAROTENE 180ug; VITAMIN C 9mg; CALCIUM 9mg; IRON 0.2mg; FOLATE 10ug; MAGNESIUM 6mg; ZINC 0.1mg; SELENIUM 0.1ug
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi all!

Just a quick note to say hiiii! I had my first volleyball game of the season. I had so much fun! Until the last ten minutes when I jumped, landed, and rolled my ankle pretty badly, so crutches for a little while for me. Lucky it's not broken though, phew!

Good luck and have a great time away, Terri! I had the same issue this weekend. They weren't sure what to cook for me. I ended up just incorporating a lot more veggies into each meal and snacked on their fruit. They were actually pretty open to all the veggie ideas too! Good luck. You make yummy foods too, maybe you can share a recipe with them and win them over :)

NewMe, awesome loss!!!! Sounds like you're really trucking through these obstacles. Great job!
    Karrie, awesome! Happy to hear your guitar was a success. I'm the same as you - I played a million instruments through til I was 20 (only really keep up on piano), but never guitar. It seems so foreign to me. Enjoy :)
    Mihani, have you ever been able to sit down with your boss and talk frankly about how it impacts your life so heavily? He sounds like a nice person but I wish you weren't drowning too.
    Sabine, hope you feel better soon!!
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    PS I will post a recipe or two this week of the ones I've really enjoyed so far. The meal plan for next week looks really good too - I would download it if you can!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm back. Glad to be sleeping in my own bed again.
    Well, now I am positive that I will never do a Tough Mudder. Thanks for the warning! I am in awe of you, however.
    So sorry to hear about the arthritic knee, Teri. I have RA in my little finger and as long as I'm eating good ETL it doesn't hurt, but oh if I eat certain things it reminds me its there. I especially notice it when knitting. It's at least stable right now, not getting worse.
    liar, your restart of ETL is going well. You had a rough time detoxing!
    tdh1991, glad to hear ETL is working for you. ANd that risotto recipe -yes!! I will try that very soon. Thanks! I'll be interested to hear what you think about Fuhrman's book on fasting.
    Sabine, the salad sounds delicious (not the sardines, eek) -- but feta is too salty for me :-( but a good balsamic is a must for salad.
    That broccoli soup sounds great. I make a zucchini soup that's similar.
    mihani, work does indeed suck. I'm grateful every day that I am retired. :-) You must have some relaxing thing you do to keep going at your pace! I salute you for spitting out that cracker. I would do the same. Eventually even ETL will become as much a part of you as breathing, I promise, but it has only recently become that way for me and I've been doing this awhile.
    I just returned on Sunday night. On this last trip, during a social event, I had two large helping of steamed veggies on a bed of lettuce, glad to have them among the SAD foods. However, they did have a slightly greasy taste to them. I ate them anyway because I was hungry. Boy, was I sick that night. Too much oil in the salad dressing for sure, and probably butter on the veggies. All that grease made me sick. I spent a miserable night. The next day, another social event, but at a German restaurant -- not vegan friendly at all-- so I had not planned to eat anything anyway. Luckily, I was still sick from all that grease. So I ordered my pre-paid meal as take-out, and that was hubby's dinner. On the third night, at the social dinner, I was a whole lot more careful about what I ate and made sure the veggies were not soaked in butter this time. Oy! Just thinking about how sick I was will remind me to be more careful in the future. I brought food with me, but not nearly enough, so will have to figure out how to do that better when flying. My first stop is always a visit to a grocery store but I underestimated how little of the provided food I could eat, so I should have stocked up more. But overall, I'm pleased that I did as well as I could.
    I'm still wanting to hit my goal of weighing under 130 this year and in spite of the holidays coming up. Still haven't got regular exercise into my routine yet, but the bowling season is starting so that is something physical, sort of. It would help me a lot to be more active -- but I'm so lazy. I'd rather be sewing or quilting or knitting. I don't like to sweat. LOL! What a whiner!
    Lots of cooking and planning for everyone. That's good. You all are real inspirations for me.