Simplified September - Week 1

Options
mrron2u
mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
Ok all, I know I'm new here and all, but I really like the idea of what this group is all about and really want to keep it going. That being said:

I like the idea of baby steps or getting back to basics or keeping it simple. I think we all try to bite of more than we can chew by making too many goals at once. A few days later and we are bombing on our goals because we are overwhelmed.

I'm going to focus on walking 30 minutes a day. I hope that is something we can all do, and if you chose to do an alternative that is cool, but for fitness that is going to be my only goal. Anything else I or anyone else do on top of 30 minutes of walking is gravy. I recently read a book that talks about the awesome health benefits of a simple 30 minute walk everyday. I know there are lots of benefits to other exercises, and feel free to do them in addition but 30 minutes a day of walking is the goal.

So here's to starting off September simply. Take a nice 30 minute walk everyday and report back on how you feel, or what awesome ideas popped in your head during your walk, or what strange things you saw.... whatever! I can't wait to see if this takes off.

(seriously if someone else sets up something else I will not be offended - I just want to make sure a goal is set before tomorrow morning)

Ron the Noob!

Replies

• catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Ron, first off, welcome to the group. I will join you on this one. I have recently read that 40 minutes of walking (working up to a sweat) 6 days a week is what someone my age/gender needs (I am the oldest of this MOBO group). I have been walking for minimum of 40 minutes, max of 60 on my treadmill every morning for a couple weeks now. So I am with you on this challenge. Thank you for starting this one up. I am going to try and add three days of strength training also.

How long do you want this challenge to last? 1 week? 10 days? 1 month? And how about an individual target goal for each one?

Cheers,
    Nancy
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Thanks Nancy! I'm glad to be here.

I was thinking of going 7 days on the first one and then setting a new one from the 8th - 14th but I'm open to suggestions. I can add an individual goal as well (I like to bike a lot).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If I can break it in half and tolerate the ridiculous Oklahoma heat, I might be able to do this on my breaks, but I'm babying a knee injury and afternoons feel like walking on the surface of the sun. So that will be on the dream list. my current goal focused are more sleep, water, and back to basics within my eating plan..

So I guess I will aim for the walks if I can, but my main goal for this week will be sleep (minimum 5 hours, goal 7 hours) and/or water (80 oz minimum daily). By end of month I want to be hitting the seven more days than not and 120 oz daily.

And Ron, we're very much a group led, jump right in there band of folks! You're all good. :) Sometimes I need a kick in my complacent backside. lol
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Nancy is back hurrah! :) Missed you

Im going to focus on getting back to the gym 3 days a week and logging and tracking consistently as Ihavent since July
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Nancy is back hurrah! :) Missed you

I have been lurking.

Thanks,
    Nancy

• maoribadger
    Options
    I see. Sorry for the meltdown last week then. Hope more lurkers will come to life soon
    Mentioning no karens..

• ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I will also join you in this challenge. I have been meaning to add in a nightly walk on top of my other exercise so this is a perfect time to start.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    ronercat wrote: »
    I will also join you in this challenge. I have been meaning to add in a nightly walk on top of my other exercise so this is a perfect time to start.

Hey Zac!! Another lurker!! :-)
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Ok, On Sept 1, I completed at 55 minute walk on the treadmill. Done! Walked faster than my normal pace which is good. Weighed myself...which was NOT good!! But....moving forward and determined to get more physically fit plus get some weight loss in my last 76 days here before the BIG move home!!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    OK.. I'm a day late. I'm so caught up in reading this darn book Carly suggested.... I can't put the darn thing down. I HATE reading books. This one. OMG...... and I'm taking notes while reading it. It's called "Change Anything, the new science of personal success." I highly recommend it. I think Carly might just agree with me on this also.

I'm up for a 30 minute a day walking challenge, count me in.

Cari
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I am SO not getting on the walking thing. It is just too darned hot still. And walking in the evenings, I might be able to get back to that...but honestly not holding my breath.

Doing better with getting back to basics... pants are looser again finally.

Water is still a struggle since I cut back on my morning tea. Still above the standard 64 oz, but not as close to the 122 oz on my plan.

Sleep - HA! Has been worse than ever so far this week. I have been wide awake at 12-1 am last night and the night before. I have NO idea why... But, I'm going to try to lay in bed earlier tonight, even if it is just by ten minutes, and even if I have to stare at the ceiling a bit...

And yes, Cari, I positively love that book!! The next one I'm listening to is called "The Dance of Anger," and it talks about how women in general are kind of hard-wired against getting anger, and then use that anger unproductively, and stuff. It's talking about how we need anger to implement change, and it's really interesting so far. I'll report back soon!

Happy Wednesday,
    Carly
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Day 2 , Sept 2, of our week long challenge...I completed 40 minutes on the treadmill and tried to cut back on calories today. So far, so good. Hope to keep it up tomorrow.
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Well of course I chose to set a challenge and then get sick! I haven't walked yet as I have bronchitis, but I will keep track of the days I missed and am going to make sure those minutes are made up somewhere.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Ron, I vote your task for this week is SIMPLY HEALING! LOL

P.S. I dare you to try kombucha if you're brave. It's got lots of good gut bacteria restoration and stuff (it is an acquired taste thought admittedly), but most of our immune system is in our gut...
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Feel better soon Ron!!!
  • mrron2u
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Ron, I vote your task for this week is SIMPLY HEALING! LOL

P.S. I dare you to try kombucha if you're brave. It's got lots of good gut bacteria restoration and stuff (it is an acquired taste thought admittedly), but most of our immune system is in our gut...
    I'll admit I had to Google Kombucha. Not sure I am up to brewing that myself - wonder if it can be bought locally. Very interested in trying it though.

Feel better soon Ron!!!
    Thanks Cari - I hope to!

• maoribadger
    Options
    Ok so today I blew the food big time but I was out on a day trip with a friend I only see twice a year. And I enjoyed it

Tomorrow I have lovely food planned, chicken with apple and bacon (i ordered a meat hamper) and am power walking. Friday Im going running and saturday I have my 5km OCR. Actually looking forward to the next 3 days. Will not let recent issues derail me Ive decided. Ive worked too goddamn hard
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ron, I found the Synergy brand at my local Walmart, in the section where they have all those fruit smoothie things - like the Green Monster, and Blueberry this, and all that nonsense. They do run about $3.50 for a 16 oz bottle, but right now I'm splitting that over three days to get a baseline dose in until I can brew my own (I've got a local lady providing me with a SCOBY soon...). I'm quite looking forward to upping to the recommended 8-16 oz daily minimum. I can already see a difference in my digestive system, too.

What I have found so far in the two flavors I've tried (http://synergydrinks.com/index.php/products#enlightened-kombucha):

Gingerade Flavor: Purchased, but not yet tried (flavor highly recommended by others)

Multi-Green Flavor: Not purchased, not overly interested, myself

http://synergydrinks.com/index.php/products#enlightened-synergy

Trilogy Flavor: Very Fermented and Strong Flavored. Had to hold my nose the first few times, but I really really don't like beer, and this reminded me of a fruity, not too dry, beer.

Gingerberry Flavor: FAR less pungent. Still obviously fermented, but didn't wrinkle my nose once. Had a much more mellow taste. My favorite of the two.

These are the four flavors my WM has available. Good luck!! Oh, and if you do this, don't shake the bottles. the cultures settle, but you can gentle roll the bottle when pouring. Oh, and these are some awesome heavy glass bottles. I'm planning to reuse mine to bottle my Kombucha once I make it!

Good luck trying it! As I said, reminds me of a not as dry as beer fruity type beer. Fermented, fizzy, fruit...and the taste is definitely growing on me!
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Tomorrow I have lovely food planned, chicken with apple and bacon (i ordered a meat hamper) and am power walking. Friday Im going running and saturday I have my 5km OCR. Actually looking forward to the next 3 days. Will not let recent issues derail me Ive decided. Ive worked too goddamn hard

Glad you are determined to stick to your plan! You can do it!!

• catladyksa
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    Well of course I chose to set a challenge and then get sick! I haven't walked yet as I have bronchitis, but I will keep track of the days I missed and am going to make sure those minutes are made up somewhere.

Ron, just get a lot of rest, the usual Vit C. And don't let the bronchitis get to 'chesty' as that could lead to a nasty chest infection. Rest is the best!
    Nancy