Simplified September - Week 1

Options
2»

Replies

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    OK... so last night I didn't walk. I got home from my dad's doctor at 3:30. Still way toooo hot to walk. It was in the low 90's. I went out around 5:30 and also ended up having rubbish for dinner. UGH. Such a great day ruined. Oh well, onward and downward. Today's a whole new day. I'll catch up on the walking and plan on making up the hour sometime this weekend.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think we can all use a GROUP HUG!!!
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been getting hugs from all of you! It feels good to have so much extra support!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Have one from me too then. Hope you are feeling better soon

As for today I have enjoyed decent food - the chicken with apple and bacon was tasty even hubs liked it. And Ive walked 5.2km tonight
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Thanks for the hugs! I am at work today! Feeling somewhat better, and the upside is I made it through a week of being home without a single binge and I got an 81 on my Glucose meter this morning as a reward! Now to work in a 30 minute walk at work today. Happy Friday all!
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    GM everyone. I feel like such a dip$hit. I walked last night, slow and eractic at the grocery store. Now, I need to make up 1.5 hours this weekend. But, I am determined to do it....
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cari, Need to make up 1.5 hours of what? Walking?? If you say so. (hugs)

Ron, Glad you made such huge strides in light of your normal triggers. That BG Reading is AMAZING!!! And I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better...

And Lise, everyone enjoying a meal is always a good sign!
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Yes Carly, walking..... lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm guessing you have a walking goal? I would think that would be difficult for your back injury? I know walking makes my whole back hurt. Honestly, I'd focus on yoga or pilates, maybe even seated ones, or tai chi for a while until it heals...maybe assisted weights?
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    I'm trying the 30 minutes a night. I walk slow, but I'm ok. I actually walk better on a treadmill than on the open street. It doesn't hurt or help the back injury. Just want to strenghten legs before they start giving me problems also. I have a yoga DVD, I think... I shall give it a try. Unfortunately, without surgery, my back will never heal. I have some moments where there is minimal pain and times when I take 3 to 4 percocets a day. I do good, walking doesn't seem to irritate the back anymore than it is already. I just walk slow. Very slow. I attribute a lot of that to the extra weight I am carrying around though.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Weighed in 2.5lb lighter this morning after being pretty.good since last Sunday. Also completed a five km muddy obstacle course race today. Raised.over three hundred pound for cancer research. Have decided to take a deliberate break from plan this afternoon but am gonna log it to keep me honest
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Sweet! Great work, great progress and that race sounds like a lot of fun!
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas for week 2 of September? Weather is finally starting to cool here in KC.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    I wish it was starting to cool here in Delaware!!! 95 again today. UGH
  • mrron2u
    Options
    We have a high of 70 in the forecast for Saturday! Can't wait - a longish bike ride is on the schedule!
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    :'( OK Ron, don't brag... I can't deal with this heat.
  • mrron2u
    Options
    :'( OK Ron, don't brag... I can't deal with this heat.
    Sorry! FWIW last night I had to stand for 3 hours in the sun filming my son's football game. It was wicked hot! I'm hoping I sweated off a couple pounds!

• Vixxie75
    Vixxie75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the 30 minutes a night. I walk slow, but I'm ok. I actually walk better on a treadmill than on the open street. It doesn't hurt or help the back injury. Just want to strenghten legs before they start giving me problems also. I have a yoga DVD, I think... I shall give it a try. Unfortunately, without surgery, my back will never heal. I have some moments where there is minimal pain and times when I take 3 to 4 percocets a day. I do good, walking doesn't seem to irritate the back anymore than it is already. I just walk slow. Very slow. I attribute a lot of that to the extra weight I am carrying around though.

I've got a spinal injury too. I broke 2 vertebrae 13 years ago and I've got a prolapsed disc in between them! I find walking on grass is much easier than the road. Is there a park near you could walk in? The other thing is on the treadmill you have bars to hold on to. You could be using them to take some of the weight off your legs or you could subconsciously be seeing them as something to stop you falling and because they're not there when you're out your body is stiffening up without you knowing. I found I was doing both!! I now have a walking frame I use but I've got Nordic Walking Sticks I keep daring myself to use! lol!

Can I make another suggestion? If you don't walk one day don't think you've got to make it up, just accept you didn't walk and try to walk the next day. Otherwise you set yourself the goal to walk 90 mins rather than the 30 and it seems too much to do.

I wrote a blog about my walking today and how I've improved over the months, it's here if you'd like to read it: Molly The Dog and Me! A few months ago I could barely walk to the park without sitting down. Today I walked 2km without stopping! If you'd told me I'd be doing that 6 months ago I'd of laughed at you! lol!

I think this walking challenge is a great idea. I took mine a step further and signed up to walk the Race For Life 5km next May. It's given me a goal I have to keep training for through the wet winter months!!

Good luck to everyone. Can I join in but make it 40 mins? That's what I'm aiming for this week!