Workout Check-in September

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @krokador - hope you had fun at the color 5k. I want to do the regular color one next year and coworker wants to do it too.

Today is rest day for me. Going to like the rest day after long run instead of having several days of lift/run/lift/run as I was often skipping the middle length run on Sundays. However, I may have to skip it again. On the cool down walk I stepped wrong or something as my foot near my toes has hurt off and on since then (plus I worked 8 hours on my feet). I hobble on occasion right now, which my knee isn't a fan of either, and get to work 8 hours today and tomorrow, then 6 on Monday. We'll see how it feels tomorrow though at least gym should be okay after work then cause it's upper hyper day and not lower.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Today was nice and cool so I went outside for a run, instead of the dreadmill. I did a total of 3.5 miles. Ran 2.75 without stopping, and then I walked a quarter mile, and then finished for a total of 3.25 running.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Today was
    Bench w/u; 3x6x90
    Row 3x6x75
    OHP 3x6x55
    Lat pulldown 3x6

Bench has been feeling pretty good lately so I am happy about that. My husband has to help me unrack it now though. I don't know what the problem was but I couldn't seem to get the bar off the rack by myself but had no issues actually benching. Weird.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    First day of SS+

Squats 3x5 95#
    Bench 3x5 75#
    Deads 3x5 135#
    Pull ups (strict) 3x4
    Hip thrusts 3x10 135#
    Abs (v snaps, toe touches, side crunches, knee tucks on Swiss ball)
    Banded fire hydrants 2x12
    Bridges 2x14
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    Bench has been feeling pretty good lately so I am happy about that. My husband has to help me unrack it now though. I don't know what the problem was but I couldn't seem to get the bar off the rack by myself but had no issues actually benching. Weird.

I still bench alone but I struggle and am a little unstable pretty much every time I unrack it. My arms are short (well, all of me is) and it'd help if the rack was just a tiny bit lower.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Cardio morning, just over 3 mile jog. Will report back after the gym later tonight.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    Today was
    Bench w/u; 3x6x90
    Row 3x6x75
    OHP 3x6x55
    Lat pulldown 3x6

Do you take the weights off? I have to every time!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hehe, ha, so I should've taken today off. I was stiff and sore this morning but not feeling *too* bad so I headed over and started my workout, figuring there's no better way to chase off the stiffness than to get moving. Definitely hit a wall towards the end, but instead of calling it quits I finished and decided I'd just take the day off tomorrow but make today worth the while.

Power cleans - EMOTM x8
    5 reps + 1 overhead press per minute
    First time doing more than 1-2 cleans with the bar since the injury!
    Did the first 3 rounds with 65lbs and was overpowering the bar almost every single rep. I bumped my collar bone a few times since I've kinda lost the groove. To save myself (trololol), I added a bit of weight and finished @75 (the last 4 minutes were a push press rather than a strict press)

EMOTM x6
    - bulgarian split squat x5/leg
    - First 4 rounds with bodyweight only, then a 10lbs KB and last round a 15lbs. Was not too bad. I can probably handle 15lbs throughout.

Then I did 5 rounds of this complex with 2x25lbs KB (which really took it outta me)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snMoKiFZ4VA

- power clean x5
    - russian swing x5
    - deadlift x5
    - push-ups x10 (video only has 4 because that was my last round. I finished on the ground after stopping the recording). Only complaint I have about my form is that my head dips pretty low. Gonna have to work on keeping that neck neutral!

Last planned set-up of this workout was 4 rounds of 30/30/15
    - recline row + squat combo (6/6/6/7)
    - plank knee tucks (11/6/8/9)

I then did standing calf raises and took a (badly framed) video of one of the sets to see if there was something to see there. And omg, I have big calves but they're not all fat O_o
    g1r2jhqw5bcp.png

3 sets-ish of wide grip lat pulldowns
    Then 3 sets of incline db bench press 30x10
    3 sets of preacher curls (which are TOUGH holy crap! i could only squeeze out 5 reps with 30lbs O.o)
    Aaand 3 sets of seated machine dips for funsies.

I had a good pump getting outta there but man did it take the world out of me. I have no energy left and my traps are on fire! lol.

So yeah. Rest. Tomorrow. Woo!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    wow, that's some definition you have. i did like you - went even though i kind of felt like it wasn't going to be a good one. and it wasn't, but wasn't totally awful either. i basically just did squats. worked up through 5 or 6 warmup sets to 5x5@80, then deloaded to 70 and did another three or four sets. 70 was comfortable, darn it. and 80 was do-able but too heavy. i'm just in a squat-cranky mood and determined to kill them if i take myself along in the process.

after that, i wasn't really up for much else. also, i put in 12 hours at work the day before and had to get up and do laundry at crack of dawn, so i was pretty disoriented. i did some ohp sets at 50, but definitely not all 5, and i did some others at 45 a few times. on top of the warmup. and i skipped lat work/rows pmuch entirely apart from two sets of about 8 at 60 pounds.

just not feeling it, but i went and did something, at least.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Krokador- thanks for sharing your video. I have heard of KB but never saw them in use. Looks like a lot of hard work! Nice job!

Today was my rest day. I painted for 5 hours and am feeling that! I have to get up at 4:30 to get my lifting done tomorrow. I have to go to my MnL's to take her to get her hair done. She turned 90 this year!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Krokado - Nice work and calves. I should try the standing calf thing at the gym since this lifting program has calves on both lower leg days but it always looks like a hassle to adjust.

fanncy - sounds like fun. Well, minus the 4:30 am thing cause yeah, no. I'll probably not go to bed until 2 am to begin with so glad I lift at night.

Lifted after work though didn't get out until about half an hour later than scheduled. But got it done.

7 - Upper Hyper

incline bench 4x10 @ 60 - doing okay so far
    bench db fly 3x9 @ 12.5 - little more comfortable this time
    seated row 3x10 @ 60 - dropped it down a little but still a challenge by rep 10
    one db row 3x10 @ 22.5 - okay
    db lat raise 3x8 @ 10 - little better than last time
    seat db curl 3x10 @ 15 - eh, think I like seated less than standing for curls
    cable tri extension 3x10 @ 50 - not bad

Now to finish a little writing, then get some sleep.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Krokado - Nice work and calves. I should try the standing calf thing at the gym since this lifting program has calves on both lower leg days but it always looks like a hassle to adjust.

The standing calf raise is the easiest one of the calf machines to adjust (unless you use the stack seated leg press, I guess). You just pull the handle to get the pads to a height where you can somewhat stand under before getting on the pads, throw your pin in the stack on the weight you wanna use and just get in with knees bent, straighten them out and go to work. I suggest a short pause both at the top and bottom of the movement. The contraction is much better :)

I am hurting everywhere right now. Mostly upper traps (40 power cleans will do that. Lots of power shrugging thar) and lower back, but my whole body is like "we need rest and food. Pl0x!" so... today is a full on rest day *nods*
  • DawnEmbers
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The one at the gym I go to is where I've seen people struggle to change. I haven't even tried myself yet.

And good. Rest it up. Those days are good to have as well. Today is rest day for me. Just a short shift at work, one of the hopefully last cashier shifts for a while. Then I get two days off from work and Wednesday I'm not leaving the house for anything but coffee if I need help getting through novel edits. Tomorrow I will jog in morning then lift later at night, plus errands/cleaning.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Today i jogged for 30 minutes and then tonight was:
    Squat w/u; 3x105; 3x110; 3x115
    Pause deadlift 2x6x115
    Glute bridge 3x10x135
    Front squat 3x5x65

I have been annoyed with my squat form for a long time but I am finally feeling like it has been getting so much better. The program I am on now progresses a bit slow so it's going to take me awhile to get back to where I was pre stress fracture but I think my form is really benefiting.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I got up and just did it even though I was half asleep!

3844 steps 9/21
    2 miles
    113.7 miles total

Squats 5x45, 5x100, 5x95, 5x5x90
    Sumo squats 5x5x85
    OHP 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 2x5x60, 3x5x55
    DL 1x5x135
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sunday
    Squat 5x5x75 lbs
    Bench 5x5x55 lbs
    Rows 5x5x62.5 lbs

Monday
    Walking and hip hop dance class

Tuesday
    Squat 5x5x77.5 lbs
    OHP 5x5x55 lbs (these were getting really hard at the end but I eeked them out)
    Deadlift 1x5x105 lbs

Feeling good!
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been away from the board for quite awhile - had a nearly 1 year hiatus due to life just getting... complicated. Things are back on track and I've been lifting for about a month now. I don' t have my notebook on me but I think the stats are something like:
    Squats: 160
    DL: 185
    OHP: 50
    Row - seated row 50

I like to do a variety of accessory work drawn from Jason Blaha's ice cream fitness (Krok mentioned this one a loo-ong time ago) and Strength Sensei posterior chain workouts.

Not sure I'll post all my workout progress on the board but I had to delurk today because last night at the gym was nuts! Some guy completely broke down my seated rows because he 'wanted to do a couple sets'; I was so frustrated because there was an open spot like 15 feet away. I smiled and warmly told him it wasn't a problem, I'd just go set up 'over there'. What really killed me was that he put a different handle on it and then did.... seated rows. Egads!

Then, I had a bench set up for lying triceps extension - I walked away because I was doing a super set. Another guy took everything apart, laid his towel out on the bench and then sat on it and stared in the mirror for ~10 minutes. When he finally was ready to work, he stood and did a variety of standing exercises. Gah!

Usually the gym is pretty casual but last night - I kind of felt like they were trying to chase me outta there. On the plus side when I walked up to the squat rack I got there at the same time as another fella. He offered to work in with me but gave it to me when I pointed out our height difference. That was nice.

• andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Last night
    Squats 100#
    OHP 55#
    Row 65
    Chin ups 3x5 BW

Today
    1 hour of jumping practice. Working towards power cleans.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Today was yucky. It is 9:15 and I am already in bed. I was exhausted. I don't know if my workout sucked because I had to do everything out if order, or if my first real bike ride in nearly 20 years yesterday messed it up. Gotta say though, ohp after doing close grip bench press and bicep curls sucks.

This is my messed up order because the weight room was packed when I got there...

Cable crunches. 3x10 at 55 lbs. May be improving slightly.
    Close grip BP. 3x8 at 60
    Bicep curls 9,9,8 at 45
    Squats 3x5 at 125. Not wonderful.
    Ohp 3x5 at 57.5. Barely and ugly. The last rep took about 10 seconds to complete. Got it up by sheer will.
    DL 1x5 at 180. Had to rest for a couple seconds and reset between most reps.
    Rows 3x5 at 75. These were pretty good.
    Hip thrust 3x10 at 80 lbs. Also not bad.

Skipped pull ups because couldn't get to the bar at the beginning, and was too tired one it was available.

Hopefully Thursday is better.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Wow! I'm amazed at how heavy some of you are lifting! Very inspirational. It was my rest day today so didn't get much done. I was on the road most of the day anyway.