Options
    the man is a dick.

^^ agreed again

lol

:D
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Canadianlbs -lol I have to say that if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have started to lift. I come on here because there are real women that took the good from his program and adapted it to fit our physical capabilities. As for his advice to not do aerobic exercise along with lifting because of needing to rest your muscles so that they can rebuild is sound advice. Do you know or have you heard anything to the contrary? I have also read about the need to rest muscles in bodybuilding.com. So are you saying that he doesn't give good advice or do you just think he's a dick? Frankly I don't know the man. I only saw his videos on how to perform the lifts and read what he said about rest days and cardio bunnies. I do use his app to record sets and it has a nice timer. Aside from that I remember him saying that he doesn't recommend supplements so don't waste your money.

That is why I am here to talk to real live women that actually lift, eat chocolate and go rogue!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    So are you saying that he doesn't give good advice or do you just think he's a dick?

tbh, i don't think i can separate his dickishness from my credibility issues with him - but don't take my word for it. i'm no expert, just an amateur lifter and a cranky qa analyst with a Thing about sloppy language in general.

i just don't take anything that he says seriously. the programme is sound and i think the form advice can be trusted, but all the 'lifestyle' stuff is (by me) arrant b.s. there could be perfectly valid points in amongst all his strawman arguments and left-handed shaming for all i know - but i wouldn't know. my mind turns off and puts up its shutters as soon as i see (for example) the claim you can do 'his' workout in 45 minutes.

you can't. if you're following his own recommendations for rest times once things get heavy for you, then the rest gaps alone between your working sets takes up 45 minutes . . . and that doesn't include times to do the actual work sets, never mind the warmup sets which you should do. that's the kind of sloppiness and casual lack of accountability that drives me right up the wall.

guess i just don't like wasting brain cycles on anyone who can't be arsed to be accurate enough to make themselves believable in the first place. i wouldn't take mehdi's advice on the right way of licking a stamp, personally.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Though, it is true that it's good to rest and give your body time to repair. I do have 2 rest days where all I do physical wise, is I go to work. And I try not to do a super heavy leg session the day before my long run, making sure I don't lift late at night that day either since right now weather means I have to go jog in the morning before it gets too hot. But in general, people have different goals and so there will be some variances, no matter the program or what the creators recommend. Plus it's fun to live like renegades, hehe. (Cause now I have that song stuck in my head.)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've been lifting since March and I am always hungry. I was wondering how many calories most of you eat. I eat sweets because I'm addicted and have put on 15 lbs. because of lifting I stayed the same size and toned/muscled up. I really want to lose 25 lbs and I quit all of my aerobic exercise because Mehndi advised it. I was doing 24 hours a week. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    2-4 hours a week (assuming that was a typo. 24 hours of cardio a week would be insane) is not impossible to fit with SL at all. As long as it's LISS and you don't overdo it there is no reason it can't work. I'd stay away from HIIT for the most part but there is no reason why you couldn't go biking on your off day or for a 20 min jog in the morning. Or spending 15 minutes on the elliptical after your workout (if that's your cup of tea).
    I know that you need 1g of protein/lb of LBM so around 130g for me. That is almost impossible for me to do. I know a lot of people drink whey shakes but yucky! That's about 21-28 oz of chicken beef or eggs. Is there anyone that can get that much protein without supplements?

Actually, the guidelines on this are all over the place, but you will typically only need between 1g-1.6g per/KG (not lbs) of bodyweight. For a 200lbs person that's between like 90g and 145g of protein. The .8 to 1g per pound of LBM isn't too far off from that number I guess, but as you get in the higher range of fat% your LBM also increases from water retention so it's a bit iffy.

Now, you say you want to lose about 25lbs, so I'll guess you're around 160-170lbs at the moment? Unless you're super athletic, I kinda doubt that you have 130lbs of LBM at that weight. I mean, at my leanest (185) I only ever reached 120lbs of LBM and I'm quite muscular.

You don't have to hit the higher number every day, either. Add 1/4 cup of egg whites to your oats in the morning, have a chicken breast for lunch on a salad, eat a cheesetring as a snack and have a good steak with sweet potatoes for dinner and you're already around 75-80g. Have a bowl of cottage cheese with some fruit at night and you just made it to 95-100. If you have an omelette for breakfast with some bacon and cheese instead? You just pushed that to 120-130g of protein for that day. Also, bread, pasta, spinach, nuts... all those things also have trace amounts of protein that add up! No protein shakes needed!

I personally supplement with them because I actually like them, they are convenient and cheap and the powder also makes a few things taste great (including said cottage cheese. And greek yogurt.) Some people just can't like the powder and I can understand (although I say, if all you've tried is ON or the walmart brand because they're popular/cheap, you haven't given it a proper chance, IMO).

But the truth is, you probably only need to get to 80-100g of protein for your goals and I can promise you it won't have any ill effect on you.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of protein shakes/bars either (and I've got a serious sweet tooth). I make my own "protein shake" by whirring chocolate soy milk, Greek yogurt, and ice cubes in a blender. Sometimes I mix the soy milk with some rolled oats and let that sit while I'm working out--that makes it really filling. I'm not a big meat eater, so I'm always looking for things that add protein here and there. I aim for about 100 grams/day and usually hit it.
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2015
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    I've been lifting since March and I am always hungry. I was wondering how many calories most of you eat. I eat sweets because I'm addicted and have put on 15 lbs. because of lifting I stayed the same size and toned/muscled up. I really want to lose 25 lbs and I quit all of my aerobic exercise because Mehndi advised it. I was doing 24 hours a week. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    2-4 hours a week (assuming that was a typo. 24 hours of cardio a week would be insane)
    I know that you need 1g of protein/lb of LBM so around 130g for me. That is almost impossible for me to do. I know a lot of people drink whey shakes but yucky! That's about 21-28 oz of chicken beef or eggs. Is there anyone that can get that much protein without supplements?

Actually, the guidelines on this are all over the place, but you will typically only need between 1g-1.6g per/KG (not lbs) of bodyweight. For a 200lbs person that's between like 90g and 145g of protein. The .8 to 1g per pound of LBM isn't too far off from that number I guess, but as you get in the higher range of fat% your LBM also increases from water retention so it's a bit iffy.

Now, you say you want to lose about 25lbs, so I'll guess you're around 160-170lbs at the moment? Unless you're super athletic, I kinda doubt that you have 130lbs of LBM at that weight. I mean, at my leanest (185) I only ever reached 120lbs of LBM and I'm quite muscular.

You don't have to hit the higher number every day, either. Add 1/4 cup of egg whites to your oats in the morning, have a chicken breast for lunch on a salad, eat a cheesetring as a snack and have a good steak with sweet potatoes for dinner and you're already around 75-80g. Have a bowl of cottage cheese with some fruit at night and you just made it to 95-100. If you have an omelette for breakfast with some bacon and cheese instead? You just pushed that to 120-130g of protein for that day. Also, bread, pasta, spinach, nuts... all those things also have trace amounts of protein that add up! No protein shakes needed!

I personally supplement with them because I actually like them, they are convenient and cheap and the powder also makes a few things taste great (including said cottage cheese. And greek yogurt.) Some people just can't like the powder and I can understand (although I say, if all you've tried is ON or the walmart brand because they're popular/cheap, you haven't given it a proper chance, IMO).

But the truth is, you probably only need to get to 80-100g of protein for your goals and I can promise you it won't have any ill effect on you.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

No, I was doing 24 hours of aerobic exercise a week. 6 to 7 hours of Kenpo x, five hours of Hulu hooping, two hours of swimming, five hours of buns guts and legs, 6 to 7 hours of Zumba. That was when I lost approximately 70+ pounds and got down to 135 pounds. I now weigh 150 pounds. I don't know how to measure body fat I don't belong to a gym. I wear a size 5 to 7. Can you tell by looking at pictures? Thanks for the advice on how to get enough protein. What kind of protein powder do you use?

scrittrice - thanks for the information on how you make your shakes. I never thought about soy milk because I don't usually drink any milk products. But I do like my lucky charms! Although I haven't had any of them for quite a while. And they are magically delicious!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I like cow's milk and eat regular dairy, but I like chocolate soy milk better than chocolate dairy milk. It's a little less rich, I think, and more refreshing!
  • krokador
    Options
    [...]

No, I was doing 24 hours of aerobic exercise a week. 6 to 7 hours of Kenpo x, five hours of Hulu hooping, two hours of swimming, five hours of buns guts and legs, 6 to 7 hours of Zumba. That was when I lost approximately 70+ pounds and got down to 135 pounds. I now weigh 150 pounds. I don't know how to measure body fat I don't belong to a gym. I wear a size 5 to 7. Can you tell by looking at pictures? Thanks for the advice on how to get enough protein. What kind of protein powder do you use?

scrittrice - thanks for the information on how you make your shakes. I never thought about soy milk because I don't usually drink any milk products. But I do like my lucky charms! Although I haven't had any of them for quite a while. And they are magically delicious!

Wow, that's a LOT of physical activity. How did you even find time to do all that? That is definitely overkill in terms of energy systems and not sustainable in any way over the long run. However, I don,t see how doing maybe 1 hour of each over the week would affect your recovery too much. Maybe cut out the guns buts and legs.

I think staying in the ballpark of 70-110g of protein would work out just fine for you. No need to be a nazi about the numbers here. Try to aim for the higher end and stay over the lower number on most days, and see if you feel satisfied with the amount of food you eat.

You weren't doing a lot of resistance training beforehand, so it'll take a little while for your body to catch up to the change. You'll retain a lot of water at first and if the scale actually stays the same, it's a good sign (for most people it'll go up at first!). Just stick to it.

Protein powder-wise my go-to is usually BioX Nutrition. Their chocolate flavor is like chocolate milk (and the natural chocolate version is even darker-chocolate tasting and makes the best protein brownies =D). I have yet to find a brand with a vanilla taste that I actually enjoy tho. I think Allmax Hexapro was decent. I'll be trying Magnum Quattro next.

Also, soy milk makes me gag (and regular milk... I'll spare you the gory details). So I'm an almond/cashew milk type of gal (sometimes coconut, but less so). Unsweetened kind. Always a winner in my book ^^
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I try to get around 80-90 grams of protein on decent days, with the rare super day of around 100. However, I'm also 4'11.5" so figured my lean mass to be not more than 100. I've been going by the .8-1 per lean mass as a rough estimate but as long as I'm at least over 70 grams I don't consider it a bad day. I do shakes on occasion and bars when I have dairy days, my protein powder isn't whey as I have a mild dairy allergy. I've been using flax milk with protein, as a lot of the dairy substitutes are lacking in protein (same with the yogurt version, soy has the most but I don't want to use soy all of the time). But dairy is super delicious so I'll have one or two days a week where I can have a couple dairy items, which might include a protein bar as I like some of them and they are convenient at times like when I haven't shopped or cooked any of the frozen things.

Morning cardio = 2 mile jog. Will lift weights later tonight.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It was a little warm in the building, today, so I had a good sweat going!

Squats 150 5x5 Form needs a little tweaking here and there so I'll stay at this weight for the next workout.
    BP 100 4/2/1/3/3 Not surprised, here. I was grinding out the reps at 95 lbs. Going to stick with this weight for a bit.
    Rows 120 3x5 Getting a little heavy for good form doing 5x5. Not sure what I'll do the next time. I might de-load and try to work back up.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    bunked out of work today, cause i felt like it. went and gave myself a nice peaceful middle-of-day workout instead, with all the time in the world to do it. it was good.

squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@50, 55, 60, 1x3@65, 5x5@75. whoo-hoo. 5lbs up AND on top of all that warmup volume. the actual work sets went with pretty short rests in between, because by then i had a lineup and i had been hogging the rack for a long time. did my ohp stand-and-hold thing as well, up into the first couple of 75 sets. posterior chain definitely getting itself back in the game. and i'm pretty close to mirror-independent while doing my setup as well. 75 was challenging but not deadly at all.

bench: 1x5@45 early on, before squats. 2x5@45, 1x5@50, 55, 65 . . . and then i think i made a mistake. i meant to do my 5x5 with 70, but i have a feeling now i look back that it was 75. got them all done but the last set was ugly and i barely got out of the last rep without hurting myself. will do 70 next time and see how that is.

rows: no warmup, just 5x5@65. by the time i did rows i'd already done my 4x1 negative chins and some pulldown work, so i'm proud of myself just getting the 65lb. considering i'm not even supposed to do rows and chins on the same day, really. the rows really were overkill, but meh. i got ticked off/obsessive that chins aren't really lat work and talked myself into them in that way.

negative chins: 4x1. oh lordy oh wow but these are hard work. i started out with the wider overhand grip because i have kind of an ego thing/hangup about this. couldn't even make my body jump up there at first. when i eventually did i knew right away that it was a mistake and i was lucky to get out of it without spraining something. so after that i kissed the glove and just did the closer underhand grip for my four. probably fine, maybe even 'probably better for me in my case'. because biceps are somehow the only muscle i never do pay any attention to or inspect for progress. closer underhand was definitely better, and i had much less trouble assembling myself into a safe/solid form after the jump. they are going to be HELL on my teres muscles tomorrow.

also. once i did get up to the top of the chinup, i'm telling you all that my body was going 'can't we just hang out up here? do we really have to go down? this is fine, let's just stay here.' it's like how i get when the overhead press is all up overhead.

and then pec stretching. MAJOR pec stretching and extra broomsticks done extra slow, because something's impinging in the rear of my right acromion zone when i don't.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Tonight I did:
    Bench w/u; 10x75; 8x80; 8x85
    Row 10x65; 8x70; 8x70
    OHP 10x45; 8x50; 6x55
    Lat pull down 10, 8, 6
    Push-up 3x10
    Bench dip 3x10
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Krokador- it was four hours of aerobics every day spread out throughout the day. I recently retired and had a lot of time to fill. Do you have a good recipe for the chocolate brownies? That would be right up my alley!
    Almond cashew milk sounds really good! Thanks for the advice. :-)

Dawn - I know that I have seen almond and soy milk at the store. I have never seen flax milk. I live way up in Northern Minnesota. We do have some specialty stores. Green Scene and a food co-op.

Canadianlbs- thanks for telling us about your experience doing pull-ups.

Squats 5x100, 5x105, 5x110, 5x5x115
    Sumo Squats 5x5x100
    OHP 5x2x50, 5x55, 5x5x57
    DL 5x5x145
    Walked 6.45 miles

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Tuesday's workout...

A little out of order because the rack was in use.

Pull ups - 3,3,2
    Barbell shrug - 3x8 at 65. Could probably go up, but this is the heaviest fixed barbell and I hate tying up the olympic...
    Skull crushers - 3x8 at 40 lbs - first time at 40 for a while. Ok.

Squat - 3x5 at 125 lbs - felt ok. Challenging but form was still good.
    Bench - 3x5 at 77.5 lbs - This was an increase, but still felt fine.
    Rows - 3x5 at 80 lbs - getting better. I think one more session a 80 should do it.

Barbell curls - 3x8 at 45 lbs. Might try to get a couple extra reps next time...
    Hyperextensions - 3x10 with 25 lbs. Fine.
    Cable crunches - 3x12 at 50 lbs. Think I might try 55 next.
    Hip thrusts - 3x10 at 65 lbs. Trying these out again. I often am rushed and these are what I drop. Might try making sure I have time for them, but, again, would need the olympic for any more weight.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Day 2 of PHUL and it was lower body power, which is fun. Though I added good mornings and I didn't follow the rep and set range on dead lift as wanted to try getting above 200 but that wouldn't go well at 3 sets.

Squat 1x4 and 2x5 @ 170 - can do 3 to 5 reps and first set wasn't sure I could get one more. Managed and new max for me.

Deadlift - warm up 1x5 @ 135 rdl type, 1x3 @ 185, then working set 1x2 and 1x1 @ 205 - freaking heavy but it yet bit closer to goal.

Leg press 3x10 @ 210 - not bad

Good morning 3x12 @ 60 - nothing unusual

Seated leg curl 3x10 @ 50 - not bad, tad different

Rotary calf 4x10 @ 70 - weird, not used to doing any calf specific ones.

Next up is sleep.
  • krokador
    Options
    This humidity won't let up! I look like... Heck I don't look this wet when I'm straight out of the shower. lol.

Did the shred project warm-up (which is like a mini workout in itself) and a 4-lap (1400m) run [8:13.43]. Bit slower than Friday but my conditions were crappeh today. This was the last of the program. I'll test the all-out "real" mile this weekend :) Confident on sub 9 minutes!

Gonna knock a round or 2 of the shred mobility bodyweight circuit (let's follow the theme) then shower. If My cramps don't claim me first. Ugh.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Took a mental health day from work yesterday so lifted mid arvo

Squat 5x5x135lbs
    Ohp 5x5x80lbs
    Deadlift 1x5x220lbs tried for PR of 253lbs and managed to break it but couldn't lock it out! Soon my pretty, soon
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Oy! I haven't checked in for a few days.

Let's see. I ran my second tri on Monday. It went better than my first. I think I got 4th place. (I got 5th place in my first tri. And as my niece said: if you keep this up Auntie Sam, maybe you'll get 3rd next year.)

Then did legs yesterday. Holy DOMS batman. Did squats, pause squats, walking lunges, glute bridges, good mornings, and calf raises.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    idk what it is, but i love hearing people's doms stories :D i've been sitting around all day in my (empty) office, reading functional specifications with one hand and surreptitiously massaging my pecs with the other one.