Workout Check-in September

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Simple but not-so-short qworkout this morning that I almost skipped. Shoulder wasn't feeling great, but throughout squats and rehab stuff and warming up it actually started feeling okay, so I went for it.

Squats 165x5x5 - YES! Heaviest day of TOM I initially wrote DOMS at first. IDEK), slept like crap, and lo and behold... I made it without too much grinding. I did take almost 5 minutes between sets to work on my shoulder, but it was well worth it =D

Deadlift 165x5, 185x5, 195x5, 205x5
    OHP 65x5x5

Yes, way too many "warm-ups" on the deadlift. I just wanted to see how far I could make it without overdoing it. OHP went up pretty snappy. Glad I decided to get it done =D

Also, 9 push-ups in a row. Maybe I'll get 10 tomorrow!!!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat day today (3 week)
    115 lbs x 3, 130 lbs x 3 and 150 lbs x 4 wasn't too bad, heavy but doable.
    5x8 100 lbs this was exhausting
    EMOTM x5 dumbbell snatch x8 each side @ 25 lbs. I upped that from 20 lbs and omg I felt it. It took me almost the full minute to get through it so my rests where all of 5 or 6 seconds. I was so out of breath by the time I got through 5 rounds of it.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Tuesday's bench fried my forearms. They were tender to the touch on Tues & Wed, and are still a little sore. Talk about progressive OVERLOAD. My whole body ached from that workout.

So, after thinking about my lack of strength lately and concern about maintaining form, I decided to de-load. It was a good idea. My form was good on everything and I still felt challenged.

Squat 140 5x5
    OHP 60 5x5 - felt really good and took short rests. I'm going to add kettlebell as @krokador recommended, to help with progression. I've been trying to get myself to add it on the weekend, anyway!
    DL 185 1x5. I warmed up with 135 to start and nearly lifted off when I pulled it. I was so geared up for it to feel really heavy that I overcompensated, lol. Grip strength on 185 wasn't great and will add an accessory to improve it.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Im not following SL5x5 at the moment - doing Strong Curves beginner so hope its still ok to post here for a check in...

BW Glute Bridge - 3x20
    DB Row - 15# - 3x12
    DB Front Raises - 10# 3x12
    BW Squat - 3x20
    Bench Press - 30# - 3x12
    RDL - 45# 3x15

I am adding a bit more upper body to the beginner routine in SC. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was feeling tired today so I did no optional exercises and stuck with:

Squat w/u; 7x100; 5x3x90 with 60 sec rests
    Pause deadlift 3x8x105
    I am really pleased with my form today and am looking forward to start pushing the weight on squats up a bit the next 3 weeks.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welp, I skipped workouts for the last week (because EXCUSES, and also beers and extra days off) so I got back at it today. The SL app recognized my laziness (apparently a week or longer off and it let's you know that it knows). So the app prompted me to deload a bit to prevent excess soreness, so I was all "okay, you know best SL app" but after the workout was done I felt like I could have done more. So now I feel lame, but that's what I get for skipping workouts I guess.

Squat 5x5x 65 lbs
    Bench 5x5x 50 lbs
    Rows 5x5x57.5 lbs

Try not to be too jealous of the huge numbers I'm throwing up over here.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started SL on 8/24 and haven't added any other exercises.
    Monday - Squat 5x5x70
    OHP 5*5*50
    DL 1*5*115

Wednesday Squat 5*5*75
    Bench 5*5*60
    Row 5*5*75

The OHP and Row seem to really be kicking my butt! I'm no longer unable to walk after squats though, so that's a good thing!

I'm not too sure about warmups though, is there any "official" advice for that?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Brianna716 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about warmups though, is there any "official" advice for that?

i like a lot of warmup because i mistrust my form and never know which parts of me might be stiff or acting weird on a specific day. so i always do a set or two with the bar, and then at least two more sets at increasing weights until i reach my work weight.

you want to distribute the difference evenly as you're warming up. so for instance, if it were me and my next squat weight was going to be 75, i'd do 2 sets at 45, then one more at 55 and another at 65 for warmups. but that's me. the trainer i'm working with has the same 4-warmup-sets rule for his noobs. but he likes his people to drop the number of reps in each warmup set as they approach working weight. so his protocol is 5 for the two bar-only sets, then 3 for the next one, and then 2 for the last one of all. i usually cheat when i'm on my own though, and just do 5 reps per set, all the way ;-) i'm still at a stage where i'm greedy for work, and not willing to save it all for the work sets.

for ohp, my work weight is currently between 45 and 50. so i use the 'women's bar, which gives me a 30lb starting point. and then i add 5lbs per set to take me to 40, and then go from there. i've also started to do some even earlier sets with just a broomstick, so as to practice the movement/recruitment patterns i want without needing to worry about weight at all.

hope that helps.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    I'm really working on getting the form correct and really gain strength.

Squats 5x100, 5x105 5x110 5x5x115
    Sumo Squats 5x5x100
    BP 5x55, 5x65, 5x70 5x5x73
    BR 5x5x80

Walking 7.29 miles
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oof. Tough workout today, but good!

Squat - 3x5 at 125 lbs. Still feel pretty tough.
    Pull ups - 4,3,2. First time getting 4, so that was awesome :) I really think a thumbless grip is easier for some reason.
    OHP - 3x5 at 57.5 lbs - Still arching my lower back on the last couple reps. Need to stop that before moving to 60.
    DL - 1x5 at 180 lbs. Wow, this was hard. I almost went up by 10 lbs instead of 5 because it would mean using the 25s instead of two tens and a 2.5 on each side, but I am glad I did 180! 1.5x BW, even on my heavier days now. Had to switch my grip after two reps because my left hand was slipping. Switched that one to underhand, and was good for the final 3.

Rows - 3x5 at 75 lbs. Light day. Good.
    Close grip BP - 3x8 at 60 lbs. Still challenging.
    Barbell curls - 9,9,8 at 45 lbs. Added a rep to the first two sets. Good, but the last one or two was really hard.
    Hip thrusts - 3x10 at 65 lbs. Fine.
    Cable crunches - 3x10 at 55 lbs. Went up by 5 lbs and holy crap these were hard. Barely managed.

As a side question...has anyone done hip thrusts in the Smiths? I thought this might be an option to increase weight without tying up the only olympic barbell.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's lifting session:
    Day 3 and upper hyper today

Incline bench press 4x10 @ 55 - not bad and not as much struggle with it compared to first attempt in nrolfw.
    Bench db fly 3x8 @ 12.5 - odd but okay. Had to look it up first.
    Seated row 3x8 @ 70 - managed but might need to decrease for rep range.
    One db row 4x10 @ 22.5 - okay too
    Db later raise 3x8 @ 10 - challenging as hadn't done before.
    Seated db curl 3x8 @ 15 - almost too heavy but 12.5 was taken. Tad odd sitting and curling.
    Cable tri extension 3x10 @ 40 - so that is what that lift is... different but not bad.

This morning was cardio, which meant a 5 mile run. :smile:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifted last night - brrr it was cold in the shed and I didn't really want to, but now I have the weekend free so I'm glad that I did!! Over 1.5hrs in total lol

Squat 5x5x140lbs
    Bench 5,5,4,3,5 x 100lbs - oof!
    Row 5x5x110lbs - I am loving rows lately!!

Superset 3x8
    Lat pull down 90lbs
    Single arm row 26lb dumbbell
    Single arm over head thrust 26lb dumbbell
    Single arm bench press 26lbs dumbbell
    Arnold press 26lb dumbbell
    Swiss ball like push-ups

Need a massage, oodles of protein and magnesium today. Maybe an Epsom salt bath too lol
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Week 3, bench and power cleans
    75 lbs x 3, 85 lbs x3 and 95 lbs x 4 bench and x 5 power cleans
    5x8 superset bench and cleans 70 lbs each.
    5k run at lunch. I am tired and sore and curious to see how my 8k scheduled run goes tomorrow considering bending down is a challenge currently (between cleans today and squats yesterday my hamstrings are singing!)
  • canadianlbs
    edited September 2015
    Options
    two days off, creatine dose in the morning (i've been sloppy on this) and a tuna-salad footlong with all the veggies for lunch from subway . . . it all did the trick.

trainer day part:

ohp: whoohoo, 50 pounds. with 4 warmup sets starting at 25, and 50 was not all that hard. got 7 on the third amrap set.

squats: 60 pounds. i haven't been telling him about progress i've been making in between visits, and that's okay with me atm. however, on this one i was working in with someone super-helpful who somehow misread the board and took me straight from my 55-lb warmup set into my working weight. and it showed. took me until the 3rd set to get properly loosened up and dial my form in. got 8 for amrap, i think.

negative chins: he promised me if i could do 6 of them with reasonable rest and without dying or losing control, i get to move up to 3 doubles next time. i think i'm hooked on the chinups, because i did my 6 JUST to get to the doubles reward. they were easy and fun. and the lat doms from last week is now gone. i feel like: superwoman, here i come!

un-trainer day part:

stopped at the closest rec centre to home (to make sure i wouldn't gas myself out), and did the remaining sets/reps/lifts to make it a full-on stronglifts workout b. so at the rec centre:

deadlifts 115 when i got to work weight. plenty of warmups on my way there.
    ohp 2 extra sets of 5 at 50. still happening, still perfectly do-able. so now it counts.
    squats: i had a grudge about the squats, didn't feel like i really got to do them at trainer time. so i got in the rack, did a set with the bar, then two more at 65, and finally 5x5@ 75 with my (finally) dialled in form. it was a lot but not technically too heavy. just a lot of volume.

and in other news: did something dire to the middle joint of my right thumb. worried all day that it would stop me (it didn't). so now it's that pitiful thing where she can deadlift 115 pounds, but she can't pop the top on her own water bottle.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    and in other news: did something dire to the middle joint of my right thumb. worried all day that it would stop me (it didn't). so now it's that pitiful thing where she can deadlift 115 pounds, but she can't pop the top on her own water bottle.

We don't need no opposable thumbs to lift! lol

It's been a few wrecking days both mentally and physically, but I was really thrilled to get started on something concrete for the first time since the stupid shoulder injury (which seems to slowly improve despite a setback a week that makes me doubt the validity of my body's healing process.)

Garage Built Body -> Pre-test day
    7 min cap to do 3 sets of
    1) recline rows: 11/11/12 - yikes, that got harder than I expected
    2) Pike presses (feet on ground): 7/8/9 - that was even worse. My push was rather uneven, with my left side taking the brunt of the work. I wasn't expecting anything stellar, but there's work to be done here.

8 min AMRAP - single 35# KB
    - Sumo deadlift x6
    - sumo high pull x6
    - ground to overhead x6
    - goblet squat x6

I managed an even 6 rounds. Knowing I've done this for 8ish rounds with the 20kg bell earlier this year makes me sad. Then again, I haven't been working my core NOR conditioning and endurance further than running for the past 2 months because my right upper body was being a prick. I'll build back into it.

Then I did my NMW set of push-ups x10 and got it without too much flaff. I mean, wasn't easy, but I didn't doubt I'd get it one bit.

Test called for 400m run for time, but I wanted to test my full-out mile since I've completed the program, so I scratched that off and ran a few errands before going home and gearing up for the run. I made the mistake of eating leftover quest chips and drinking a lot (I was so hungry :/) beforehand so I was crampy throughout, but still did 8:44 which is like 45s faster than at the beginning of summer!

Weighed in at 201 this AM, I thought I'd drop more water weight after getting my diet in check (again) this week but apparently my body has other ideas. It's okay. 4 weeks is plenty enough to drop to 195.

Plan is to run GBB 5 days a week, squat twice a week on top (3x5 and 5x5, I think), Bench once a week and deadlift heavy once per 2 weeks. And go on 1 lengthy run or bike ride on the weekends.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to eat something O.o
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

We don't need no opposable thumbs to lift! lol

heh. i spent all day trying to think up a smooth opposable-thumb joke for when i was going to be showing it to the trainer, and here you just come out with one like it's simple as pie. :D i was feeble like a rockefeller handling my plates though. the boys all had to put them on and take them off for me and deal with most of the clamps.

• dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was

Bench w/u; 10x75; 8x80; 8x85
    Row 10x65; 8x70; 8x70
    Ohp 10x45; 8x50; 6x55
    Lat pull down 10, 8, 6

I'm pretty pleased with how well 8 reps at 85# has been going. I am really hoping to set a pr with 100 for 3 reps at the end of this cycle so fingers crossed everything keeps going well.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yesterday had an over 2 mile, very slow walk for a charity event. Had to follow the cop car, so that made it even warmer since I was right behind it pretty much the whole way. Then went dress shopping with coworker since stepsister's wedding is less than 2 months away. Did end up buying one though I've heard something about held outside (in november, in northern colorado...) so may need to find a coat too. I went to the gym after we ate pizza. However, I packed everything but a pair of shorts for the gym. So, I ended up lifting in a skirt that happened to have short part attached underneath. Still slightly awkward but got day 4 of the new lifting program done. Didn't run this morning though and I'm going to change middle length run to same day as lifting because having lift, long run, lift, middle length run be back to back, is getting a little too tiring on my legs. So, I'm going to make the day after long run a rest day. I'm at 5 miles now for it and should be at 6 in beginning of October.

day 4 lower hyper

front squat 4x10 @ 65 - decent, though wrists a little achy
    bar lunges 3x8 @ 50 - did 8 per leg, not bad though never a fan of the static (or even walking) lunge, I liked the foot elevated versions from NROLFW a little more.
    leg extension 3x8 @ 65 - easy enough, I did this on occasion when bored waiting for squat rack in past.
    leg curl 3x10 @ 80 - okay.
    seated calf (rotary calf thing) 3x10 @ 70 - same as power day, not sure on calf stuff in gym.

Not too bad overall, though kind of wish it had rdl or something. Made it through first set of days, so back to power upper on Tuesday.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    took me forever to go to the gym, and then once i was there took me forever before i left again. maiden voyage for my 1.5lb micro weights.

squats: oy gevalt. i'll just say the work weight was 75, but i more or less did my working sets twice. or close to twice. i just didn't like the first bunch that i did. so much much later on after benching and futzing around for a while, i pretended that i hadn't done my squats yet and did them all over again. with their own warmup sets too.

bench: warmups too ambitious and confusing, because new toy to play with. 1x5@45, 53, 65, 68. then i tried 75 for work sets, and the first three sets were really heavy but fine. fourth set was my first failure, i.e. i didn't even try to get the last rep. or if i got it it sucked too much and i'm not counting it so after that i think i went backwards to 68 and did a few more sets there. i think i'm pushing too hard and being too aggressive/greedy for bench, because tbh 68 felt a lot more like my 'right' weight. i just didn't want it to be, because it's a step backwards.

squats: see above. idk, think i was just being stubborn or spiteful or something about it. but anyway.

rows: for work sets i did 3x5@65, and then that suddenly started going so well that i added my mini-weights and did another 3@68, instead of just finishing out with the 65. i seem to have been stuck at or around 65lb for rows for so long. i'm really irritated. need to form-focus more because when i do do the thing that really does bring my lats into it, they take off.

and i did one negative chin (banged knee jumping up), and also 2x5@45 for ohp plus later on 10x30 as well. just to prove that i actually can.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x100, 5x105, 5x110, 5x5x115
    Sumo Squats 5x5x100
    OHP 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 5x5x57
    DL 1x5x145