September morning coffee and gratitude!

Options
2»

Replies

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    So grateful we had clear skies last night to be able to see that spectacular lunar show! I have never seen anything quite like the way the moon looked last night, at the point of the total eclipse. It was a beautiful reddish-glow color and it looked so close, as if you could reach up and touch it. The whole process was fascinating to watch ... like seeing the moon's monthly cycle of renewal in a sped-up version. Very inspiring! ~ Kathy
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful the pears are in and are good. Was having a lack of fresh peach panic, as that season had concluded. We missed the eclipse. :'( But the breeze and cool weather were pleasant.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Marie, congrats on retirement. It is a wonderful part of our journey. Enjoy every minute of it.

Kathy we had partly cloudy skies, saw the first part just fine, moon was HUGE, and later we say if going back the other way, it was smaller and above the trees around our house. It was just beautiful.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I agree about the Soup. When I cook that is my favorite way to cook (in a big kettle). I have several times had soup for casual get togethers. Make a couple of kettles (usually one creamy or cheesy and one broth- or tomato-based) and depending on how many people, maybe a third chili. Some garnishes like grated cheeses, croutons, popcorn or tortilla chips, bacon, sour cream, etc. Crusty warm bread. A green salad. Wine and beer. I use big mugs instead of bowls. Great because soups are usually inexpensive to make and better if made a day in advance. I just leave the kettles on the stove and everything else on the countertops.
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So Charlie, when's your next get together? I'll be there!! :p
  • mangotango
    mangotango Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the much appreciated good wishes on retirement. Love having so many time choices now!

I'll likely be having a get together the end of the month and the soup/salad bar is just the perfect way to go. Not only yummy but will make life so much simpler. Perfect timing on that idea. Thanks Charlie. Jan - you can come have soup with us anytime
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Speaking of soup. I made cauliflower and leek soup today. It is perfect for this time of year. I need to do some chili too. Yeah, autumn is here :)
  • mxchana
    Options
    Cauliflower and leek soup sounds fabulous, Joell... gonna look up a recipe for that combo.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    mxchana wrote: »
    Cauliflower and leek soup sounds fabulous, Joell... gonna look up a recipe for that combo.

I keep mine basic, I put a small amount of oil, 2 TB. at the most in a pot set to med high temp., then add some garlic and onion powder and about a 1 TB Italian seasoning to the oil, add the chopped leeks (2 leeks), let those pan roast for a few mins. then add the chopped cauliflower (small head or half a large one). Let the cauliflower pan roast for another few mins. Then add chicken broth, cook on low heat for 1-1.5 hrs. Use a hand blender or put into a food processor to smooth out the soup, I add abut 1/4 cup nonfat dried milk while I do that. Salt and pepper to taste.

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @mangotango Your guests will love the soup/salad get-together. (The best parties are casual parties where people can relax rather than worrying about their Ps & Qs and which fork to use!) Since it is fall, I would add an apple dessert. Old fashioned baked apples maybe. You could prep them ahead and just stick in oven when guests arrive. 45 minutes later, you have a hot dessert ready and waiting for a small scoop of ice cream OR a little low-cal whipped topping! Or bring back the days when we were kids and have donuts with hot apple cider! Keep the cider warm in a crock pot(s) and even let guests add a little brandy if so inclined. Both ideas would be easy.

Joell, love the soup recipe. (What would we do without immersion blenders?)
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So glad you all brought up the soup. Encouraged, Made first butternut soup ever yesterday; and though dh didn't like it, it's great to have the other 3 portions waiting for convenience and variety. Seems any winter squash should work. :-) He's not a pumpkin or squash fan..
    Posting nonfat low sodium, high fiber recipe in the Recipe section.
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Marie congrats on the retirement! I LOVE it! I am doing the things I always wanted to do and never had time for. Isn't that what retirement is all about? lol

I love soup weather as well. Not exactly chilly here yet though. Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend and that is a cold front! lol

This morning I am grateful for tea!!! When I started this list, coffee was a very long time ritual! Now that I have giving it up I am grateful that tea is such a vast world to explore. I love it!
  • mangotango
    mangotango Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the retirement congrats Dream On.....this is wonderfully renewing and feels so right!
  • mxchana
    Options
    Thanks, Joell, for the soup details! Got myself an immersion blender last winter - great gadget. ~ Kathy