Ummmm beef

Options
So excited. I have a 3lb chuck roast braising away after giving it a good hard sear (5 minutes per side). Salt, pepper, a little garlic, some dehydrated onion in the braising liquid.

Smells like heaven

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It will be heaven. I can almost smell and taste it from here.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Is chuck roast as good as chuck eye or chuck steak? I see it but never had the courage.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Now I have to go to the gym with drool dripping down my face. B)
    My only inspiration is there will be a top round steak waiting for me when i get home. :smiley:
    Cauliflower & butter rounds out the rest of my dinner.
    Oh what a WOE!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mmmmmm, roast beast.
    glossbones wrote: »
    Is chuck roast as good as chuck eye or chuck steak? I see it but never had the courage.

I find chuck roasts need a more expert cooking. I find they can be tougher, but it sounds like @nicsflyingcircus knows how to cook a roast. Mmmm.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Had chuck roast on Thursday. Yum! @glossbones, yes the chuck roast is cut from the same area as the chuck steak...and just as good.
  • glossbones
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I find chuck roasts need a more expert cooking. I find they can be tougher, but it sounds like @nicsflyingcircus knows how to cook a roast. Mmmm.

That's what I feared. Okay Nic, give it up! I'm willing to try if you'll share your methods!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It was fantastic. I ate a bowl-full shredded, topped with butter, a little salt and a scoop of the awesome pan juices. Yes, drank the leftover liquid. My two kids with me for dinner ate it up.

To cook a chuck roast, I use 2tbsp olive oil in a 5qt pot. Season with salt and pepper. Sear 5 minutes per widest/flattest sides over medium to medium-high heat. After both sides are seared, I add granulated garlic and dehydrated onion, sometimes some thyme. Drop the heat as low as possible, add a cup of water and pop the lid on tight. Let it braise for 2-3 hrs or so, I like to flip the roast in the liquid halfway through. To finish it, pull the roast carefully to a plate, cover with foil and let it sit 15min or so while you crank the heat to high and reduce the juices left in the pot.

You can either pull the beef into rough chunks, or very carefully slice it thickly. Serve with the delicious pan sauce.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh that sounds so good right now. I made one in the crock pot a couple weeks ago with butter, a pack of au jus gravy mix, a pack of ranch mix and pepperoncini. Topped with provolone. Now I want to make that tomorrow.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Oh gosh that sounds so good right now. I made one in the crock pot a couple weeks ago with butter, a pack of au jus gravy mix, a pack of ranch mix and pepperoncini. Topped with provolone. Now I want to make that tomorrow.

Yeah, I've done the crockpot too, but love the depth of flavor a hard sear imparts. Plus the pan juice is awesome without adding gravy/seasoning packs(not that there's anything wrong with that), mostly because of the fats that render, better with a sear than just crockpot. My leftover "gravy" has a good 1/4" fat congealed on top of it in the fridge, in a round container about 4" apart.

I'm making a bone-in pork shoulder tomorrow, ~6hrs at 225 (or until 170 degrees internal), pull from the oven for 10 min and drop oven to 170, pop it back in for a holding period of at least one hour but no more than two. I season it liberally with kosher salt and cracked black pepper before roasting. Slices like a dream. If you want to do pulled pork, you go to 180 internal and hold for full 2hrs at 170.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've done the crockpot too, but love the depth of flavor a hard sear imparts. Plus the pan juice is awesome without adding gravy/seasoning packs(not that there's anything wrong with that), mostly because of the fats that render, better with a sear than just crockpot. My leftover "gravy" has a good 1/4" fat congealed on top of it in the fridge, in a round container about 4" apart.

I'm making a bone-in pork shoulder tomorrow, ~6hrs at 225 (or until 170 degrees internal), pull from the oven for 10 min and drop oven to 170, pop it back in for a holding period of at least one hour but no more than two. I season it liberally with kosher salt and cracked black pepper before roasting. Slices like a dream. If you want to do pulled pork, you go to 180 internal and hold for full 2hrs at 170.

I did pulled pork in my slow cooker the other weekend - I think it was 7.5 hours on high and was fantastic!
  • auntstephie321
    Options

I'm doing a combo of your roast and mine
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Ugh this app keeps cutting off half my post
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Eye roast is really lean - I do love it, though!
  • glossbones
    Options
    Yay thanks for posting that! I may go see if they have any roasts left at the store...

And that pork shoulder recipe. Yum! That's next. Thanks!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I did a brisket in the slow-cooker once, it was amazing.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot weekly and when I do a roast I sear it for a few minutes before putting it in there. Love a good roast and have a great recipe for caveman pulled pork. Sounds yummy!

• auntstephie321
    Options
    I use my crockpot weekly and when I do a roast I sear it for a few minutes before putting it in there. Love a good roast and have a great recipe for caveman pulled pork. Sounds yummy!

That's how I did mine this time, gorgeous sear now it's cooking away, I like it to be shreddable, it smells delicious.
  • glossbones
    Options
    The roasts they had out at the store all looked too small for that amount of cooking time. Which makes me realized, you didn't mention how 'done' your meat was. :D
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    The roasts they had out at the store all looked too small for that amount of cooking time. Which makes me realized, you didn't mention how 'done' your meat was. :D

For a braised cut like this, well done. For a steak or cut that I can roast... medium rare verging on rare.

The pork today was phenomenal.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The yummy is strong in that kitchen