Where is everyone from?

Options

Replies

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I live on a farm in northwest Saskatchewan, Canada. Am not looking forward to our long, cold winter.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Ireland, but I'm from East Anglia in England, UK.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Baconslave! My grandmother lives in Dandridge, TN! I love your area of the U.S.! So beautiful there!
    I've never considered adding USA to the end of where I'm from on here before either. I never meant to offend, but if seeing Mississippi written sends you looking for a map to find it, then I've provided some unintentional education, lol! I'm confessing, I run for a map when I don't know where someplace is. That's just me though, I'm a map junky (is that weird?). Carry on! I love hearing where everyone is from!
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I'm Mike and I live on Canada's west coast in Vancouver, British Columbia.

@carom We've been studying your earthquake (I'm involved in emergency preparedness) as our region is seismically active. Hard to believe it's already been five years.

Hi mike, those 5 years have gone really fast, we still get the quakes, some you notice. I think most people have now stopped jumping every time they hear a rumble. My stress levels have certainly improved !
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wales the land of song

One of my big dreams I'd to take my hubby to a rugby game in your country! Seriously I love the singing
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @Baconslave! My grandmother lives in Dandridge, TN! I love your area of the U.S.! So beautiful there!
    I've never considered adding USA to the end of where I'm from on here before either. I never meant to offend, but if seeing Mississippi written sends you looking for a map to find it, then I've provided some unintentional education, lol! I'm confessing, I run for a map when I don't know where someplace is. That's just me though, I'm a map junky (is that weird?). Carry on! I love hearing where everyone is from!

Being the homeschooler that I am, I :heart: that.
    I took World Geography in college so it's rare if I run into a place I haven't heard of. So if that happens, I jump on dear Google. :smile:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Link to a list of the 50 states in the U.S. and their abbreviations should you be curious and/or need to decipher previous posts. :smile:
    http://state.1keydata.com/state-abbreviations.php
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    nice @baconslave! I never considered the outpouring of responses to this thread! It is really neat to see where mfp reaches in our world? As I said, I am from The Boston, Massachusetts, USA area. We are on the northeastern coast also referred to New England. It was on the shores of this state that the mayflower made its first home. It is also the home of the New England Patriots! (American football 4 time winners of the Super Bowl). But I digress!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Karlottap wrote: »

Being the homeschooler that I am, I :heart: that.
    I took World Geography in college so it's rare if I run into a place I haven't heard of. So if that happens, I jump on dear Google. :smile:

My kids are at home too. Gotta love those teachable moments. :)

I'm another who just states the province with the city. Sorry about that. It was a bit presumptive of me.

I just add the province because it gives people an idea of geography. North, west, or east, etc.... I won't say south for Canada. ;)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think it's very common not to list US when saying where your from. It's not done intentionally to offend anyone. I know for myself the majority of the people I speak with or meet are also from the states so it does without saying and just becomes habit. It is confusing for me sometimes, people will sometimes leave out the state as if we know their city or a lot of times they'll mention land marks to give an idea of what area. Like I assume everyone knows where Niagara falls is, though I'm sure many don't so that doesn't always help.
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    South Staffordshire, UK
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I never know how to answer this and get uncomfortable if someone asks, lol. I've lived all over the country and don't have a hometown. I have been in southern California for the past 5 and a half years and have no plans on leaving though. Yay stability!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am in Washington State, the Pacific Northwest of the United States as we call it. Lakewood is my town, a bit south of Seattle for those who might want a landmark.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Glasgow , Scotland :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Humboldt Nation- coastal N. CA - geographically-home of "emerald triangle"-pot capital of the USA

Eureka CA is the largest small town in Humboldt..we are considered a "frontier" because there are still fewer than 6 people per sq mile.

Home of 10,000 Victorian houses-mostly because we're too poor and isolated for the post- WWII rebuilding boom.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I like how lots of the people from USA/Canada don't state what country they are from, is that common? To presume the rest of the world is familiar with your towns and states?

Its a mix of completely unintended arrogance(I guess that's the word?) and the fact that most places I interact online are 95%+ folks from North America so I don't think about it. Whoops!

So I said I'm from Raleigh, NC, in the US. NC = North Carolina, on the eastern coast of the US, 250ish miles south of Washington, DC. Raleigh is the capital of the state, its in the dead center of the state.

• chardh
    chardh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Near London Ontario Canada
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No pun intended, but Small World!

I have been a homeschooling mother since 1998. I still have one in high school, the other two have graduated and are in college. And I have always made the girls take geography!

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    minties82 wrote: »
    I like how lots of the people from USA/Canada don't state what country they are from, is that common? To presume the rest of the world is familiar with your towns and states?

Its a mix of completely unintended arrogance(I guess that's the word?) and the fact that most places I interact online are 95%+ folks from North America so I don't think about it. Whoops!

So I said I'm from Raleigh, NC, in the US. NC = North Carolina, on the eastern coast of the US, 250ish miles south of Washington, DC. Raleigh is the capital of the state, its in the dead center of the state.

I think Ashboro has the honor of being dead center! :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Apologies for ever seeming arrogant, at all! That would be Extreme southeast Mississippi, USA. I'm not used to this forum etiquette. :blush: