Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    :smiley:

Thanks.

And to answer @fanncy0626 I am going to visit family in Utah and Wyoming. Stepsister is getting married, which is actually in Colorado but we're from southeastern Wyoming so that's not that far of a drive. I'll spend a day in Utah with dad's side family as many haven't seen me since I weighed over 200. Then have a spare day in Wyoming since boss managed to give me the day off before my requested vacation days so I can leave early, before we head down to the area for the reception one day and the wedding the other. After, I spend 2 days driving back. So, nice for the break from diet and no real gym access or time but probably a good time for a break on the fitness side too as I transition into more lift focus less cardio as I don't have to worry about race training until spring for the half marathon goal. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing how PHUL continues with the goal of sticking to it for several months. But a break from deficit in particular is much needed, so can't wait for that.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i realised last month that my electric toothbrush has a 30-second thingy so it buzzes when you hit that mark and you know to move on to the next 'quadrant' of teeth. lightbulb! so now i load up the brush, turn my back on the sink, and use that same timer to stretch out my quads. two quadrants of teeth, and i switch legs and hook the top of the other foot onto the counter instead.

god, i'm so odd. it's getting to be a really good thing that i effectively live by myself.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Dawn- what a great transformation! Your family will be surprised! Have fun on your trip!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party, but I'm jumping on that gains train......9388x54g9aus.jpg
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Looks great! Cute phone, too :smile:
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Very nice!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Man, scales. My weight is going up, after a year of watching it coming down. Which is fine, really, as my measurements are going down and I feel good. But I've been focused on that number for a while and it's hard not to panic! I've read so many other people saying this that I feel a bit of a fool letting it bug me. But .. just needed to grumble!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow....fab news on the pull ups ariadnula! I have made it my mission to get to do at least one in 2016! Assisted pull ups for me so far though.

I totally get what you say about the scales. We have been conditioned to look at the scales numbers. Even bmi relies only on those figures to determine whether we are obese! It takes some time to get our head into a new way of thinking sometimes. You're doing brilliantly and the tape measure speaks for itself!

Bluefish, superb photo! I've discovered my biceps but there is still too much flubber for me to take pictures. One day!!

I've been on the beginning part of a big learning curve this week....the way in which weights and cardio differ, getting the balance right, upping calories, being so tired as I settle into new routines etc. But already I am seeing results and feeling different. Again, it will take some getting used to in some ways, but I am very encouraged!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Great photos, love them. Awesome progress, @DawnEmbers! @ Ariadnula, if your measurements are going down, don't sweat it! Probably just water retention from muscle repair, which means you're doing it right
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    Man, scales. My weight is going up, after a year of watching it coming down. Which is fine, really, as my measurements are going down and I feel good. But I've been focused on that number for a while and it's hard not to panic! I've read so many other people saying this that I feel a bit of a fool letting it bug me. But .. just needed to grumble!

meh, i'm not really scared of being scale conscious. fine if not caring works for somebody else, or if they had an epiphany, but for me it makes sense and i'm fine about it.'i'm just ignoring the scale, ha ha' put an extra 10 pounds onto me in a handful of months recently, so there's that.

but i monitor more to make sure i'm not regaininglost fat. as opposed to using it to find out if i'm losing any.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Vacation time. Yesterday was spent driving, 12 hours, and got to relax last night. Today is spending time with family. Plus, mission accomplished, I got shoes for the wedding.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    mission accomplished, I got shoes for the wedding.

Hurray :smile:
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Hurrah for shoes!!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    just doing a mental retrospective . . . may bore the pants off everybody but me.

around this time last year i got a fire in my belly and became determined to squat my own body weight before the new year. by the time jan 1 came i had dropped that ambition down to just doing 100 pounds, but i did manage that. juuuuuuuuust made it before the year end. once, iirc. i had my deadlift at around 145 at the time, but i don't recall where i was with the other lifts.

and then i 'quit'. on the ambition, not the squatting. admitted to myself that my left shoulder was badly impinged and the problem was spreading downwards into my back because of the effect that it had on my grip. i've kept on lifting but honestly, it feels like most of this year has been a holding pattern of rehab, troubleshooting, corrective flailing, and general going-nowhere. didn't find a physio to address the shoulder until april, and then discovered that my brain had completely lost any squat form that it ever held, so buttwink and lower-back fears became my new thing. i only found a trainer i felt like i'd like to work with in august, i think. and sheesh, it's still been quite a fight.

so anyway, my point being that it kind of looks like i've gotten back to where i was at the end of last year. it's a nice feeling . . . not sure if i expected it, to tell the truth. and i feel like i'll be happier this year with anything that happens or doesn't happen, compared with last year. progress feels possible for these last two months, but i don't feel as bonded to it.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Sounds frustrating. But glad you're feeling better about things now.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Your "mental" strength in working through it all is what jumps out to me. Yes, you say you quit with things, but you didn't really. You just took a different path for a while. That's no bad thing....What us important is that you are still here, still lifting and still stronger than you were a year or so ago!

Aside from that....just had to Google buttwink. I always thought it was a wardrobe malfunction..... ;)
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    What's everyone been doing this weekend?
    I went out with a friend on Friday, then out again on Saturday with husband, sister and her partner. Noodles, and too much beer. Oh, and we saw Spectre, the James Bond film. Pretty silly, I got a bit bored!

Other than that, lots of walking and a great gym session this afternoon.

What have you been up to?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Besides the exercises we just bought a house that is like an art project! Preparing for painting.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    On my way home. Vacation mostly involved driving but the wedding was beautiful. Outside, even in Colorado, turned out decent and we had sunshine during the ceremony. Will have pictures up at some point but have to get some stuff done online since I finally have access to internet. Turned out mom and stepdad didn't have internet anymore and the small bed and breakfast, the internet didn't work for me after the first night, which put me a little behind. Only one jog during my vacation and I've got long hours when I get home so will still be a few days before I go to the gym.

Had a good time and wish it could have been a longer vacation.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I'm home from vacation. Long travels with about 12 hours today driving and 10+ yesterday. I had a lot of fast food today but enjoyed the last day. I work until Monday, but I'll get to grocery store after work tomorrow since it's a mid-shift day. Hope to get to gym maybe Thursday or Friday so I can get back to PHUL. So tired now. Once I get pictures all fixed, I'll post my progress pictures with my dresses from older stepsister's wedding just over 4 years ago along with the picture from younger stepsister's wedding that was this week. For now, I'm going to chill online for a bit then get stuff from car. I'd do it sooner but cat must have missed me so she's lying on my lap.