Hello

Options
Vixxie75
Vixxie75 Posts: 51 Member
Ok I promised @KnitOrMiss I'd use this group more so here I am! lol!

I've had a very bad experience on forums in the past so I get a bit panicky on them. Being Bipolar doesn't help! Touch wood I've been stable for 6 months now. It has had a lot to do with finding out who I really am and being honest about it. For a very long time I hid who I was and it's led to binges. It took turning 40 for me to accept that the psychiatrist was right and I am Bipolar, that the doctors were wrong and I could walk even if it's with a frame, and the hardest thing to be open about was me. I was brought up a Christian, but I never felt I fitted in. After a lot of soul-searching and digging deep and with the help of a friend I went to school with years ago but lost contact with until a few years ago I now am ready to tell the world I'm a Pagan. It may sound odd but standing up and saying what I believe in was a huge step for me. Now I'm ready for the next step;

Hi, I'm Vicki and I'm a Binge Eater. In truth, I have been since I was a teenager but the last 13 years it's become a big problem and has lead to me becoming Morbidly Obese. Add to that an idiot of a diabetic nurse who didn't have a clue what she was talking about and I've been to hell and back! I now know that the advice to avoid all fat and eat carbs couldn't of been more wrong if she tried! So I'm learning to eat all over again.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I need help. I need people to talk to when I feel like bingeing, I need people to support me when I put on weight because I relapsed. Basically I need people who understand what it's like to be so big and to struggle with food. As someone said to me a while ago, if you're an alcoholic you can live without drink, if you're a binge eater you can't live without food. I need to look at food differently and I'm hoping you can help me.

Thanks
Vicki

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Vicki,

First of all, three cheers for you!!!! I know how difficult it was for you to get up the gumption to post here, but I do have to say that we are an awesome, fabulous, international group of guys and gals, so it definitely sounds like you are in the right place.

As for the forums, it is generally uncomfortable for those of us who don't fit the normal expectations - we have conditions or eating disorders or illnesses or life problems or gods help us, all of the above! So in general, I personally stick to the groups, because the moderators make sure we are all behaving like mature adults (well, mostly mature, anyway) and play nice. I'm also far more at home with like minded people and those in similar situations to me...

Me, personally, I've had every diagnosis under the sun - PMS, PMDD, atypical depression, unexplained depressive disorder, Bipolar II, Bipolar II with anxiety, ADD (no H, thnakfully), control freak in a miserable marriage attempting to control all the things that didn't matter and losing her mind because of it, and probably a plethora of others.

That last one is where I have ended up, mostly. I got out of the miserable marriage, accepted the fact that there were way too many things I could not control (and accepted that attempting hyper-control on other things did not help at all the things beyond my purview), lost the mind but decided I didn't care because life was more fun that way, and much like you, got RIGHT with MYSELF. Whether or not I am truly bipolar probably will never be known. I never used to have any kind of mania, which was why I always disputed the diagnosis, but I had a 20 or so minute hugely manic episode last week, and I had an afternoon of minor episode 3-4 months back, so who knows?

I too was raised Christian, but it didn't click for me either. I'm not sure which path I'm currently walking, but it is Pagan as well, probably most closely aligned to Heathenry. (I'm happy to explain in PM or group to anyone who wants more detail, but I don't want to bog the group down unnecessarily.) I'm pretty open about all this and have been for a while, but not everyone understands and can accept difference. For me, it doesn't matter what you believe personally (or don't believe) as long as it a) works for you, b) doesn't infringe upon the rights of others, and c) you don't go around pushing your beliefs on others like some kind of Amway product (sharing openly is all good - going full on sales pitch or conversion attack is no bueno here!)...

Also, for anyone who hasn't realized this yet (is there anyone on the planet? People who've been sleeping through my posts maybe?), I tend to speak freely and openly. It is kind of a tough love type thing I have going on. I try very hard to never be mean, but I don't hide the truth, either. I fully ask and expect others to call me on my BS, and most friends prefer I return that favor. Again, there is a difference in unemotionally pointing out facts - and bashing someone's beliefs and sense of self - I do NOT do that - and if anyone has ever felt otherwise, please stand up and smack me... (HUGS)

I don't know if I am a Food Addict, Binge Eater, Overeater, or what, maybe a bit of all of the above. Thankfully, I've recently been formally diagnosed as Insulin Resistant, and learning all about that (among my plethora of other weight and health inflicted conditions and issues) have really helped me to know myself better than I ever had before. I've also come to see that certain foods are a type of drug and poison to me. With my doctor's approval and monitoring, I'm on a LCHFMP (low carb high fat moderate protein)/Ketogenic diet, and it has made many positive differences for me. I still deal with addictions to certain foods, the urge to binge eat yummy things, and overeating in general sometimes...but the raging intensity of those things is lessening. I am still a work in progress though...as aren't we all?

In addition to your fabulous alcohol metaphor, I like this one, too. If I know that my body treats sugars and most carbohydrates as a poison, why wouldn't I avoid them? You would not tell someone addict to Methamphetamines as I am to carbs that they can have "just a little Meth" and that it "wouldn't hurt" them, would you? I am the same way about most carbs. It has been a slow process to learn which ones affect me (I'm through maybe 20-30% of all foods out there) and which don't. I might figure it out in my next twenty years!

So, welcome Vicki. You are NOT alone here. Welcome. To the crazy bunch.

HUGS,
    Carly
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the group Vicki. Im Lise, Im from the UK. I am 50lb down so far with another 50+ to go. Im mainly trying to do this through exercise and calorie counting but been a bit derailed of late. I suffer from depression, treatment resistant and have been struggling a bit. Trying a new combo and hoping it does the job, also engaging with some cbt. Also working with a new diagnosis of ME/Chronic Fatigue at the moment. Made it back to the gym properly tonight though. Good luck on your journey
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I guess I should say that... I'm down roughly 75 or so pounds and have somewhere near the same to go, so Lise, we're both at "halfway" of sorts! LOL

I don't know what my end goal will be because really, I haven't been healthfully below 200 pounds in 15 years, and I had a baby at that time, so I don't know what my healthy body will be!
  • maoribadger
    Options
    I reset my target some time back to something Ive actually been in my adult life rather than the unrealistic goal I had set myself prior to that that in truth probably hadnt featured on my scales since I was in college.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Welcome Vicki! I enjoyed reading your blog and love the pictures too. I've only been in this group a few weeks but there are some great people here. I think I have around 100 pounds to lose so that'll take a while! I've recently recognized that I am a binge eater so I am working through that. I'm also a Type 2 diabetic and when I'm being good that stays under control with a LCHF diet. As of lately it is under control with readings under 100 all month long! We look forward to sharing in your journey!
  • Vixxie75
    Options
    Thank you everyone. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm insulin resistant and I've either got Fibromyalgia or CFS/ME. It depends on what doctor I see and which way the wind is blowing!! I've got a whole list of illnesses that overlap so they don't know which is which, all I know is I suffer with a lot of pain and I struggle with energy levels. Basically I'm useless before 9am or after 7pm!

'If I know that my body treats sugars and most carbohydrates as a poison, why wouldn't I avoid them? You would not tell someone addict to Methamphetamines as I am to carbs that they can have "just a little Meth" and that it "wouldn't hurt" them, would you?' - Exactly!!! Yet when my mother in law comes round she thinks it's fine to crack jokes about be being on a 'silly diet' and she insists on bringing doughnuts round EVERY WEEK! I'm trying my best to get down to 100kg (apparently my ideal weight is 70-85kg but I'm being realistic!) All so I can live longer and go shopping with my daughter and buy clothes in all the shops and not just the big size shops. Any one would think I'm worrying about a few pounds the way she goes on. Honestly I could cry it makes me so upset. I've told Steve my husband and he said to just ignore her. If it was that easy I would! I've stopped going to her house but she comes here and makes me feel awful. Surely in my house I should feel safe and secure??!

Sorry I'm having a crap day and typing here stops me from going to the cupboard and eating every carb in there! And no I'm not joking. Hands up I'm addicted to Pasta and potatoes. In any form. I could happily eat crisps, chips, roast potatoes, mash, baked potatoes, or any other form for the rest of my life and never eat anything else! My blood sugars would be through the roof but hey ho!! ;-)

That's another thing! I've been diabetic for 12 years, but my mother in law who doesn't have diabetes (well I think she does but she's never been tested) knows more about it than me!!! She thinks she know's all the food I shouldn't eat and loves telling me in front of other people. 9/10 she's wrong!

I really should stop typing! My mind isn't in the best place. I'm going to read some other messages and try and cheer up!
    mrron2u wrote: »
    Welcome Vicki! I enjoyed reading your blog and love the pictures too. I've only been in this group a few weeks but there are some great people here. I think I have around 100 pounds to lose so that'll take a while! I've recently recognized that I am a binge eater so I am working through that. I'm also a Type 2 diabetic and when I'm being good that stays under control with a LCHF diet. As of lately it is under control with readings under 100 all month long! We look forward to sharing in your journey!

Thank you mrron2u. My blog is just mindless ramblings but it's nice to know someone likes it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Okay, I don't know if you believe in cussing, but there is a great writing I love called the "F(bad word here) OFF Fairy." You can easily google to find the writing, or I can PM the link, but it is SO worth reading. And actually, Vicki, I think there is a book I ran across that you would love. It is called "The Dance of Anger." It is about how we as women (and I imagine more docile/less confrontational men, too) are taught that Anger is bad, that we shouldn't have it, that we shouldn't use it as a tool to secure a better life for ourselves, that we should let people walk on us to keep the peace, and all that. I haven't finished reading it all, but the author goes on about how anger is natural, normal, AND NECESSARY. We can't change and improve without it. But, when we do try to use it to create change, we tend to do so in an outburst (because we've been holding it in so long) and/or emotionally (because we're SOOO frustrated), and those techniques backfire. I'm looking forward to seeing how she talks about using Anger as a tool to elicit changes we need in our worlds... I highly recommend it, as it was also highly recommended to me!

My mother is diabetic, also, but she is the type that feels so helpless (hers is full blown auto-immune with a ton of other issues now, too), and she's always shocked when I share new concepts with her.

And did you know, as an interesting aside, that so many people are addicted to the things that are worst for them. Like if someone is allergic to dairy or wheat, there is a weird psychological reaction that causes them to be addicted to those very things? Isn't that crazy? I do still enjoy the odd potato or two, but I really don't miss chips (I make cheese crisps that are so much tastier), sweets (I've found awesome low carb versions I like better), etc. Going lower carb at the recommendation of my endocrinologist has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself!

Hang in there, Vicki - and please, come vent to us any time. We'll gladly keep you out of the cupboard!!! We know you will return the favor when needed...

Hugs,
    Carly
  • mrron2u
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Okay, I don't know if you believe in cussing, but there is a great writing I love called the "F(bad word here) OFF Fairy." You can easily google to find the writing, or I can PM the link, but it is SO worth reading. And actually, Vicki, I think there is a book I ran across that you would love. It is called "The Dance of Anger." It is about how we as women (and I imagine more docile/less confrontational men, too) are taught that Anger is bad, that we shouldn't have it, that we shouldn't use it as a tool to secure a better life for ourselves, that we should let people walk on us to keep the peace, and all that. I haven't finished reading it all, but the author goes on about how anger is natural, normal, AND NECESSARY. We can't change and improve without it. But, when we do try to use it to create change, we tend to do so in an outburst (because we've been holding it in so long) and/or emotionally (because we're SOOO frustrated), and those techniques backfire. I'm looking forward to seeing how she talks about using Anger as a tool to elicit changes we need in our worlds... I highly recommend it, as it was also highly recommended to me!
    OMG!!! I need to read both of these things! Dealing with this very thing right now! Carly - you always have some much to offer - thanks for not sitting on the great ideas, books, words or wisdom, recipes, etc.!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Ron - I SO have to share when I find awesome things. Awesomeness like love is one of those things that is always best when shared! I have to pass things on!! It's almost a compulsion. :) I hope these work for you. Those "Dance of Anger" books are actually several in a series. There is the basic one, then there are different special focuses, too. And I did add that comment about men, because they are written for women, but some of the stuff I've already listened to (yes, this one is a free audio book, too!) easily applies for any gender...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Kind of off topic, but I can I ask y'all a question about the OA group?

The focus seems to be on "giving yourself over to a higher power," etc.

I had a very intense, knee-jerk, almost visceral type of reaction in reading this. My instinct was to run fast and far from this group, with flaming wings on my shoes.

It might not be something everyone can understand, but...here goes.

The gods I believe in empower me and expect me to stand on my own two feet, and they'll offer guidance when I ask, but they expect me to do it myself.

If the basic tenets of this group, after accountability/ownership/acceptance - which I completely get and agree with, are so based on things being beyond my control and having faith OUTSIDE of myself, instead of THROUGH myself as a conduit to a higher power, I simply don't see a way to reconcile the two. Do you? Abdicating that personal responsibility to someone else, anyone else - even a presumed higher power, instead of teaming with that higher power WITH MYSELF IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT contradicts my personal faith on almost every level.

Does this make sense to anyone? I've worked truly hard at taking responsibility for my actions and choices, understanding that some things are outside of my control due to health issues and such, but to be empowered to make changes actively for myself, and to not depend on some mythical being that has zero personal interest in me to do things for me just makes my internal voice scream in protest. I do not mean this offensively to anyone else's beliefs...but I'm trying to line it up with my own, and it seems like apples and onions or something...
  • Vixxie75
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look for both books. I know anger is bad for me and I shouldn't let it boil to that point. It was just a bad day and all the little things from the week were whirling round my mind!!

I was good and didn't binge! I held off and cooked dinner for us all and ate properly.

I'm getting better at avoiding carbs. I was really struggling with Sweet Potato, I knew it was better for me but however I cooked it the taste was too strong or didn't taste right. Then this week I saw Jamie Olivers new tv show and he baked his sweet potato, he said by cooking it whole or in large chunks it changes the texture and taste. He's soooo right!!!! I had a baked Sweet potato yesterday and it was lovely! Thought it was a fluke so baked it again for tonight and yep, it still taste lovely! I've also found if I roast carrots in coconut oil they have the same texture as chips. So I can fool myself into thinking I'm eating carbs!

I've also ordered this thing that turns vegetables into noodles so I'm hoping to do it with carrots and eat it like pasta. Once it arrives I'll let you know how it goes.

I guess I've just had enough of trying to pretend everything is ok and today I snapped. My 94yr old Grandfather has dementia and my 92 year old Grandmother is his sole carer. Last week I saw him and he didn't know who I was. It upset me, not because he didn't know me but because until a year ago he was a mind of information. I used to sit and talk to him about the birds and animals in their garden. He could name every one of them, no matter how small. Now he barely knows who he is.

Add to that my husband's self-centered family, my mother from hell, my dad has Lymphatic Leukemia, my mate going into selfish mode, my daughter just starting her A levels, the world wanting me in 20 different places at once, all my health issues AND my Open University y2 exam tomorrow and you'll see why I'm stressed!!!

And yes right now I could quite happily tell a fairy to F off! lol!!!

Yes I will happily return the favour any time! Just shout!! x
  • Vixxie75
    Options
    I've so had a visit from the F Off Fairy! Sadly at 40, not 30! I just need to be strong enough to tell everyone to f off. Most people I can but Steve's parents I struggle with. I think it's after years of not being able to stand up to my own mother (that's a WHOLE other story!!!) I guess I don't want to cause problems for Steve but I could happily tell her to do one at times! lol!

Oh well! That's for next week me! Tonight me is going to relax and not let these things get to me!
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Ron - I SO have to share when I find awesome things. Awesomeness like love is one of those things that is always best when shared! I have to pass things on!! It's almost a compulsion. :) I hope these work for you. Those "Dance of Anger" books are actually several in a series. There is the basic one, then there are different special focuses, too. And I did add that comment about men, because they are written for women, but some of the stuff I've already listened to (yes, this one is a free audio book, too!) easily applies for any gender...
    Of course I already have the Audio Book making it's way to my library!

I don't want to go into a lengthy amount of detail, but recently my Father-In-Law and Mother-In-Law were staying with us while in between homes. They decided to invite my Sister-In-Law over for the weekend (without asking my wife and I) and then proceeded to try to monopolize our weekend. In the end my SIL and MIL were bullying my wife about some family issues telling her "she just had to get over it". I watched them bully her for about 40 minutes. I finally snapped (which is something I so rarely do - most people who know me in person think I'm just a big teddy bear). I told them if they couldn't respect our boundaries to get the F#$% out of our house. Well they all jumped up and packed up and left. That was about a month ago. No one is talking much. I got some info that my FIL is mad at me for using a cuss word in front of them. So like this weak man to totally miss the entire point of what I said. He sat there and didn't speak up in defense of my wife (his daughter) and didn't offer anything constructive to the conversation. He just let it happen, and now I'm the bad guy for saying a bad word, but I have pretty much given up and these people. I don't know when this will end, but I am devouring everything I can read about anger and family conflict. At most I only feel compelled to eventually apologize for my word choice, but I can't apologize for the rest of what I said as I firmly believe I had to stop the bullying ESPECIALLY IN MY OWN HOME!!!

Rant over for now, but I can't wait to check out the book. I'm still looking for the "F(bad word here) OFF Fairy". Mostly only seeing FaceBook references so far.
  • mrron2u
    Options

And yeah, on the HP thing - I kinda take that part with a grain of salt. I was raised Baptist, but in my adult years I find I'm questioning religion. Especially the things done by overly religious people in the name of religion. But I really do feel a lot of support and understanding for the BED issues so I just kinda zip my lip on the other stuff. They say they are not a religious group and don't seem to favor any religion. Still trying to figure this stuff out for myself. Not sure if it will ever make perfect sense to me!
  • Vixxie75
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »

And yeah, on the HP thing - I kinda take that part with a grain of salt. I was raised Baptist, but in my adult years I find I'm questioning religion. Especially the things done by overly religious people in the name of religion. But I really do feel a lot of support and understanding for the BED issues so I just kinda zip my lip on the other stuff. They say they are not a religious group and don't seem to favor any religion. Still trying to figure this stuff out for myself. Not sure if it will ever make perfect sense to me!

I know what you mean. My husband and daughter are Roman Catholic and go to church on Sundays. I respect that and they respect that I don't believe in that. My daughter, Teri, has dabbled in the Pagan side too so she's got a more rounded view.

I think a lot of people use religion as an excuse for wrong doing. To be honest, get rid of religion and you'd get rid of a lot of the world's problems! But that's just my view of it all! lol!

As for you FIL, I agree, he totally missed the point! My dad told Steve's dad to sod off years ago because he was having a go at me in my home. My FIL thinkings my dad is a great guy but my Dad can't stand him! lol!

Your SIL and MIL had no right to treat your wife like that. If you were my husband I'd be over the moon you'd stood up for me. Steve has stood up for me with my mother and his parents in the past but he sees all this as little things and in a way he's right, but these little things are upsetting me and I wish he'd step up. Usually things brew until they explode so I'm thinking that's whats going to happen this time x
  • Vixxie75
    Options

I had a very intense, knee-jerk, almost visceral type of reaction in reading this. My instinct was to run fast and far from this group, with flaming wings on my shoes.

The gods I believe in empower me and expect me to stand on my own two feet, and they'll offer guidance when I ask, but they expect me to do it myself.

If the basic tenets of this group, after accountability/ownership/acceptance - which I completely get and agree with, are so based on things being beyond my control and having faith OUTSIDE of myself, instead of THROUGH myself as a conduit to a higher power, I simply don't see a way to reconcile the two. Do you? Abdicating that personal responsibility to someone else, anyone else - even a presumed higher power, instead of teaming with that higher power WITH MYSELF IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT contradicts my personal faith on almost every level.

Does this make sense to anyone? I've worked truly hard at taking responsibility for my actions and choices, understanding that some things are outside of my control due to health issues and such, but to be empowered to make changes actively for myself, and to not depend on some mythical being that has zero personal interest in me to do things for me just makes my internal voice scream in protest. I do not mean this offensively to anyone else's beliefs...but I'm trying to line it up with my own, and it seems like apples and onions or something...

Dunno what group you're on about but I'd run for the hills too!!! lol!

I agree with what you've said. I don't believe in the idea of a God, I believe I have guides who help me to choose the right path for me and help me to be the best person I can be. I think there are Spirits who are 'in charge' for lack of a better word. For example Mother Nature, she keeps balance between the seas sky and earth.

The idea that you hand over all responsibility to something seems a bit of a cop out to me! If you don't accept you're the only one who can change things how are you ever going to change??!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Vixxie75 wrote: »

Dunno what group you're on about but I'd run for the hills too!!! lol!

I agree with what you've said. I don't believe in the idea of a God, I believe I have guides who help me to choose the right path for me and help me to be the best person I can be. I think there are Spirits who are 'in charge' for lack of a better word. For example Mother Nature, she keeps balance between the seas sky and earth.

The idea that you hand over all responsibility to something seems a bit of a cop out to me! If you don't accept you're the only one who can change things how are you ever going to change??!

Vicki, I love you so much for writing this right here ^^^. I think that last statement is what I was trying to say without saying. And Ron, this kind of "cop out" attitude is why I find such problems with organized religion. It all ends up copping out and saying "God did it." SMH

Sorry to have hijacked the thread - and that is the Overeaters Anonymous group here on MFP. I basically was reading the stickied posts before deciding to stay or not...
  • maoribadger
    Options
    As I understand it from AA (not me) its not so much about expecting a higher power to fix it all as much as 'ok you got yourself into this mess, you can get out of it but it wont hurt to accept a little help from [insert your own god here]'. Everything Ive ever seen about AA and ive been around it more than once is that you have to accept personal responsibility for your actions. Step four is about making a list of those you have wronged and righting it. If thats not about personal responsibility not much is. For me my higher power isnt neccesarily god its the sound of the wind in the trees, it the feel of my feet on the earth, the smell of the rain. Its about being at peace with the world. Thats my understanding of step one. Making peace with yourself and the world around you
  • Vixxie75
    Options
    For me my higher power isnt neccesarily god its the sound of the wind in the trees, it the feel of my feet on the earth, the smell of the rain. Its about being at peace with the world. Thats my understanding of step one. Making peace with yourself and the world around you

Yep, that sounds right! As does the AA stuff. There's no one to blame for my weight but me. I can blame Steve for taking me shopping, Teri for cooking, the company that sold me a car that left me disabled, etc, etc, etc, but the bottom line is I ate it, I got depressed, I lost control. I know some people find comfort in god but once you've lost 5 babies through miscarriage it's very hard to see how there can be a higher being who 'looks out' for us all.

@KnitOrMiss technically you didn't hijack it as it's still about weight! ;-)