Hair Loss

Options
So I knew I'd lose hair after surgery, but I'm at the point where I'm almost bald now. I'm getting in my protein, and feeling/ looking better body wise, but also feeling very depressed over how I look. I've looked into wigs and am thinking it's my only option.

How has anyone else handled this?

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I lost 70% of my hair in Mar-Apr and I have been on top of my macros. Sometimes, it just happens. Honestly, I chopped a good 12" of it off, so it would have a little more body, use a spray gel at the roots and do a blowout, then pull it back into a scrunchie and accept it is what it is.

It's September and my stylist has noticed a bajillion baby hairs growing, so it's coming back. Part of it could be telogen effluvium, which is natural. The shock to the body from the surgery could have set off some hair to shed prematurely, but they were in their final stage anyway.

Wigs can actually make it worse, especially if it's poorly fitted. The constant rubbing on the hair causes more damage. When I saw my stylist, she said, "I know it hurts, but let's cut it off and I'll show you how to style it for some body." It did hurt, because I had thick, curly hair down past my bra band. But that was 4 months ago, the hair is growing back, and it's just one more thing that reminds me of all the horrible stuff I did to myself and why I can never do that again.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nioxin and Rogaine? Are you taking Biotin? I have female pattern baldness, and these products make a big difference for me.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am now a headband connoisseur.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I just bought biotin. I wanted to check with my dr first (due to my blood issue), and I found Nioxin which I am going to pick up.

I never thought about wigs harming it more. I did cut 4" off a few weeks ago. My hair wasn't as thin back then, but needed to be cleaned up. I think I'll go back and ask her to maybe help me style it.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My Nutritionist suggested Nioxin - she said 9 other people have recommended it to her, and I think my hair loss has slowed since I started using it.

She also said that bald spots can indicate nutritional deficiencies, so if you're having bald patches, it's perhaps a good idea to check in with your weight loss surgery team.

My hair is definitely thickening again, and I am just about at the 7 month mark.
  • nursejenny1976
    nursejenny1976 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I was just coming here to talk about this. I had thin hair to start with, and now I look like a nonstop frizzy cotton ball is sitting on top of my head. I've already cut off what I can - it's the shortest it has been in 15 years. I take Biotin but haven't seen any noticeable results. I'll try Nioxin.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I take 10,000 mcg of Biotin (CVS brand) and I have not experienced any abnormal hair loss. I started at one month out and continue to take it today (just passed one year out).
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am 7 1/2 months out and my hair is thinning as we speak... lol. I started out with fine thin hair and even though I started taking Biotin prior to my surgery and am getting my protein I have lost a significant amount of hair in the last 2-3 months. I had my hair cut shorter than its been in 25 years!! Took a little getting used to, but its starting to "grow" on me... Pardon the pun... Frustrating? Yes! But.. It is what it is. We are all different and or bodies handle things and respond to treatments differently. Hair loss doesn't necessarily mean you have done something wrong or not followed the program, for some of us it just happens. Hang in there. As my momma always said.. This too shall pass.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have thyroid issues (like me) that contributes to the hair loss. FYI
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I started biotin one month before surgery and have super diligent about meeting protein goals - I did experience six weeks of loss that was more than normal, between months four and six - it has since started to slow down. I don't know if the biotin helped or not but I am still taking it, I really do think it would have been worse if I hadn't.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    yep 6 months after surgery and I'm bald. oh yeah, I was bald before the surgery too
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    Nioxin works. I started having some thinning at 2 months. I also have had a small bald spot for the last 7 years. I've been using nioxin and the thinning has slowed down AND I'm seeing new growth in the bald spot. I'm so happy I tried it!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh because I camouflage my thinning hair by having a severely short cut, and I dye it either purple or blue. I get a lot of contents in my hair. But about the color! ( I also use Biotin. I'm convinced it works. )
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Short hair is the way to go. Just got a cut that is kind of 20's/flapper like and it is cute and hides the loss. And I lose less also. I've avoided short hair for a while now because I didn't think it suited my face/body, but it suits me better after the loss.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I take biotin as well, but the nioxin is amazing!
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too! I just posted about it on my wall. Which type of nioxin are people using? It's so stressful! I've been taking biotin, but perhaps not enough? How much do you take in a day? Glad to see I'm not the only one!
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use Nioxin 4, the shampoo and conditioner. They have different formulations for different types of hair
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I use nioxin 4 as well.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    yq8pwdv9a497.jpeg

I also take biotin daily, but no short haircut needed!