WLS Rant Thread

Options
anbrdr
anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
So, what's on your mind? Anything frustrating about your WLS process pre or post op? Is your body doing something ridiculous? Let's commiserate.

Replies

• anbrdr
    Options
    I stepped on the scale last night and somehow gained 3 pounds in the last 3 days.

How does that even happen? My caloric intake has been at or below 718, protein has been over 75, carbs have been under 40 (diary is open if you want to analyse). I have been forcing down more water, but I wouldn't think an extra 3 (40oz) pounds worth. I have not exercised in the last 2 weeks due to overworking and a med procedure. I have not noticed a difference in body measurements.

Either my scale was in a bad mood or my body's going daft. I'm not even at my 3rd month mark yet, for funk's sake. Guess I need to get back to running and lifting.

And yes, I do realize 3 pounds isn't worth freaking out about, and I'll probably weigh in differently by tomorrow night. It's just the first time that I've seen the scale creep upwards, and I don't like it one bit.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. My brain can't handle fluctuations, so I limit myself to weighing once a week because otherwise, my head would explode. Also make sure you're weighing yourself at the same time of day each time - you can fluctuate up to two pounds difference throughout each day.

Now, my rant:

MY HAIR SUCKS. OUTRIGHT SUCKS. It looks so dead on the ends, but I have nothing left to cut off because I already have it as short as I can possibly keep it. I've tried leave-in conditioners, home remedies, frizz-ease, Biotin (10,000 mcg daily) and NOTHING is making it better. I just want my normal, unmanageable hair back. At least I had some before all of this. Now I feel like every strand that's left is sticking straight up trying to compete in the World's Frizziest Follicle Contest.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am so effing weak. I have trouble lifting the upstairs trash to take it out (it tends to get heavy). I can't move furniture or pick up my older kid. I started strength training with a personal trainer and now I am not only weak but so sore I can barely do anything. I don't care what the scale says at this point, I want some muscle back so I don't feel totally helpless and vulnerable.

side rant - the whole front part of my head barely has any hair. I have to wear headbands and bandannas all the time, which is honestly fine for now. But I'm looking forward to getting a dress and going to my husbands fancy work Christmas party in December and I now realize I will likely have to pick a dress that will work with some kind of headband/hat thing instead of just buying a dress for itself. Boo!
  • anbrdr
    Options
    I had a really bad cheat night last night. Really bad. Like an extra day's worth of calories over the limit.

Trying, poorly, not to beat myself up over it.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not sure if I'm alone on this or not, but my body can no longer hold to the one a month period idea! Since I've been losing weight my body likes to ovulate like a ninja and give me the fun of random, unpredictable crime scenes! I appologize to any boys reading this...but I have to rant.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am so with you on the 3lbs gain. I swear my body likes to pretend it's Spongebob and hold on to ever molecule of liquid I take in.

I've been "plateau'd" for the last month and a half - I put it in quotes because I'll lose 10-15lbs, then gain it back, then lose it again... so irritating.
  • SUNKELLY
    SUNKELLY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your group is simply amazing! I have been looking at your comments for about two months. I am getting the sleeve. My pre-op diet is making sure I have 5 Ensure & 4 cups of water, etc. per day. I have been following to the 'tee'. My doctor said if I lose 40 pounds in two months he will book me in within a week. I have only lost 19.4 pounds in 6 weeks. It is frustrating. I get to see the doctor on Tuesday & I will ask him why it is taking so long. I understand that maybe I am on a 'plateau'd'. We will see but I am disappointed in not losing so fast. The pre-op diet is only temporary - that is what I keep telling myself!
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Losing 20 lbs a month is hard- your body probably doesn't want to lose that fast. But, look at the great success you have had. 19.4 is nothing to sneeze at. Also, did the doctor specifically recommend Ensure? Just for variety, you might want to see if you can have other brands and sourced.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My rant: I used to really enjoy eating out at restaurants- now it is such a pain! I'm vegetarian, and I eat some fish. Trying to find something on a menu that (a) I can digest, (b) is healthy, and (c) that I want to eat is impossible. In addition, I really wish portion sizes were smaller - if I find something that fits the criteria above, I am lucky if I can eat 1/8th of it. And, lord forbid I ask for complete nutritional info.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Rant: I'm having an identity crisis. Went shopping for 4 hours the other night and couldn't convince myself I looked good in size 10-12. What is wrong with me? I was so indecisive I just gave up. The only thing I purchased was new underwear because I badly needed some that fit better.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My rant: I have to have everything in line or else I don't go down one single ounce! Makes me very nervous about eventually maintaining. I am a year out. I get hungry. I can eat too much. I can eat too many carbs. Challenging to balance carbs with keeping blood sugar levels stable (and not go too low now actually). Even upped my cardio / gym time and I am still moving at a snail's pace and then stop or stall. Why does my body love my fat soooo much??!! :o
  • ErinCoury
    ErinCoury Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My rant: I hate the fact that my body desires and requests me to eat at least 1800 calories a day if not more because of my PCOS or I don't lose. My dietician said it was fine because that's what my body was craving, but if I eat an extra carb my body throws it hands up in the air and says "screw it let's gain 2 pounds". I'm sick of fighting the damn scale all the time.
  • anbrdr
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Bullocks... My RNY loss seems to have lost every bit of steam.
    1st month anniv (8/8)- total lost 27#
    2nd month anniv (9/8)- total loss 21#
    Current loss (as of 9/28)- total loss 4#

Yes, I've still got 10 days to my 3 month Anniv date, but I feel like either I've failed the loss or the surgery has failed me. As mentioned in my rant above, I gained pounds (somehow) and lost them a few days later. I've been sticking to and under the guidelines. What are you doing, body? Do I have to become a Breathairian to get to my goal?

I've come a long way from last year, but I've got so much further to go. I didn't think the tool would stop working so quickly. I know it's not gained muscle mass, as I have not been in the gym for two weeks. That changes today.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My rant...so far I've had LapBand surgery, seen a therapist, seen a nutritionist. Nothing works. Well, the only thing that did was looking forward to a big vacation. I lost 50 pounds and then gained it all back when I got stressed out when we moved houses. Very discouraging. I guess I need to plan a new vacation!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My rant - I have lost over 200 lbs but I still feel self conscious because I have SO much loose skin, and it's frustrating. I work out and watch what I eat, but the only thing that will fix this is surgery. That is really my only frustration, and honestly, I feel like it's silly to complain about it, because just about everything else is my life has improved as a result of the surgery.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My rant: today it's 7 weeks since my sleeve. I have lost 15 pounds. In 7 weeks. How? How can I average 400 calories a day, exercise 90 mins/day 5 days/week, and have 3 one week plateaus?!? Why is it this hard? (And I have PCOS, and am 54 y/o and no hint of menopause. And I have like 4 hairs left on my head.) End of rant.
  • SUNKELLY
    SUNKELLY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ThinGwen: Yes, my doctor did specify Ensure. I don't mind drinking Ensure.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I really miss being able to guzzle iced cold water.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    My rant - I have lost over 200 lbs but I still feel self conscious because I have SO much loose skin, and it's frustrating. I work out and watch what I eat, but the only thing that will fix this is surgery. That is really my only frustration, and honestly, I feel like it's silly to complain about it, because just about everything else is my life has improved as a result of the surgery.

I can't wait to have surgery for my skin either...I am five months post-op. Lost 58 lbs since surgery but am down 194 from my heaviest....my skin is ridiculous, especially my arms! I won't wear short sleeves or sleeveless...which sucks I didn't get down to not enjoy wearing cute clothes...but I try really hard to focus on the positive ;)
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    I really miss being able to guzzle iced cold water.

Um, beer. I pour beer at a brewery. While you work, all the free beer you can drink. All kinds of beer. Delicious barrel aged stouts. Oktoberfest is the current seasonal. Seriously awesome stuff. Of which I haven't had a drop in 4 months. Andwon't, for many, many more months ...sigh...