An Apple a Day

Options
slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
Two weeks ago, I went apple picking with my son and ended up picking about half a bushel of the lovely apples. I've been eating about one a day. My CICO has remained the same, activity the same, carbs increased approx. 22g. (not subtracting fiber) according to MFP from ~30g to 52g. The end result is that I haven't lost any weight in the past two weeks. I was averaging about .6 to a pound a week. Could the mere increase of 22g make such a difference? Are the sugars in the fruit messing me up to that degree? I have been avoiding fruits on this WOE for the past 5 months. I assumed a "healthy" deviation - after all it wasn't cake! - would be harmless. I'm just really surprised that one juicy apple would have such an impact. Thoughts? Anyone else experience this? Anyway, I guess starting tomorrow it's back to the grindstone. :(

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    When you are in varying states of ketosis you carry varying amounts of water weight. Heavier the ketosis, the less water weight. I guess it's possible that apple is increasing your glycogen levels just enough to bump up your weight.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I like the water weight theory. And even the ketone levels as a factor. But I think sodium losses are a bigger factor than glycogen (math available if interested :)).

I eat an apple once in a while, but mostly the skin -- that's where the nutrients are. I learned that trick from a CRON guy (calorie restriction, optimal nutrition).

As long as your hunger and cravings are still in check, I wouldn't get too excited about the differences between 30g and 50g carbs.
  • slimzandra
    Options
    I put salt on the apple, so maybe that might be holding more water too... I really did not want to write off that crunchy goodness. The more I get in to learning about food and macros, the more surprised I am by the impact of little tweaks here and there. Since it was an every day addition over the course of 2 weeks, I can see where it probably does impact glycogen levels cumulatively as you mentioned. Humph.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    I put salt on the apple, so maybe that might be holding more water too... I really did not want to write off that crunchy goodness. The more I get in to learning about food and macros, the more surprised I am by the impact of little tweaks here and there. Since it was an every day addition over the course of 2 weeks, I can see where it probably does impact glycogen levels cumulatively as you mentioned. Humph.

Well if it's just water and it's not making you ravenous or anything I don't see why you should have to quit eating them. I hope they're organic!
  • slimzandra
    Options
    That's interesting, cross posted @wab. Why sodium loss to hold water? I would think at some balancing point extra sodium holds water? I need to go back a read some of the sodium posts...
  • wabmester
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Your glycogen stores probably won't be affected at that level. Ketone levels drop, so brain intake of glucose increases. It will take the brain about 3 hours to slurp up that extra 22g carbs (although you really should be counting net). :)
  • wabmester
    Options
    That's interesting, cross posted @wab. Why sodium loss to hold water? I would think at some balancing point extra sodium holds water? I need to go back a read some of the sodium posts...

Sorry, I meant sodium loss is responsible for the water loss all low-carb people experience. Glycogen has a minor effect. Your liver stores around a 100g of glycogen, and water binds at around 3:1, so max water + glycogen loss is about 400g, and everybody experiences a much bigger water weight loss than that. It's due to sodium lost in the urine.
  • slimzandra
    Options
    Continuing to learn! :) tx. wb.

It was a pick your own orchard. I just assumed it would be organic.. Didn't even cross my mind to ask about pesticides, etc. It was pretty..
    http://www.carverhillorchard.com/#!about/c1wfv
  • wabmester
    Options
    This would make a good educational documentary. Consumption of an Apple During Ketosis and the Effects on Natriuresis. :)

I love the complexity of this simple stuff. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago, I went apple picking with my son and ended up picking about half a bushel of the lovely apples. I've been eating about one a day. My CICO has remained the same, activity the same, carbs increased approx. 22g. (not subtracting fiber) according to MFP from ~30g to 52g. The end result is that I haven't lost any weight in the past two weeks. I was averaging about .6 to a pound a week. Could the mere increase of 22g make such a difference? Are the sugars in the fruit messing me up to that degree? I have been avoiding fruits on this WOE for the past 5 months. I assumed a "healthy" deviation - after all it wasn't cake! - would be harmless. I'm just really surprised that one juicy apple would have such an impact. Thoughts? Anyone else experience this? Anyway, I guess starting tomorrow it's back to the grindstone. :(

I am insulin resistant, so this might not apply to you, but my body does not recognize the difference between an apple, a banana, a candy bar, or powdered splenda, etc. All of them spike my insulin, cause blood sugar rushes/drops, and make me super sleepy/fall asleep randomly, and increase my cravings. They also make everything else I"m doing less efficient. Including bathroom stuff. But too much fiber stops up the natural processes for me, too - likely the no gallbladder thing.

Adding Kombucha - with the naturally fermented sugars, hasn't done too much yet as far as affect cravings and such, and I had a carb slide of entirely unrelated stuff, but I've been tracking a bit now and look forward to more data analysis...
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So technical. I had added some fruits to my diet on my stage 2, and found it stalled my weight loss. PLUS, I realized that type of sugar was a trigger to my hunger. So...VERY limited intake of apples now. Boo hoo!
  • slimzandra
    edited September 2015
    Options
    After Googling Natriuresis and some of the science behind this, I ran a few links into my exploration, I was lead back to Art and Science of LC, Volek and Phinney. All roads lead..

Had to laugh at the last sentence of this review...

By Shelley D. Schlender “Shelley” (Colorado)
    This is a rigorous, detailed, technical, practical, and at the same time, often surprisingly witty book. The chapter on paleolithic diets persuasively argues that fat was a bigger part of them than most anthropologists realize. The section on how saturated fats track with overall health is intriguing, and the theories and observations provided about how low carb, high fat diets reduce inflammation and the stress of free radicals and oxidation is fascinating. So is the explanation for why someone on a low-carb diet may want to increase their intake of sodium and magnesium. Note that this book WILL be controversial. As the authors write, “If you want clear, unabridged, and hard-hitting nutrition science, buy this book. If you want the mainstream consensus view, put it down gently and tip-toe quietly away.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I was just thinking how to incorporate honeycrisp apples into my diet. I am trying to stay below 50 net carbs daily so it will be interesting to experiment and see how they impact me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    An apple a day keeps ketosis away in my case. :(
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Yup. Me too.

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »

Yup. Me too.

Yes...too much sugar. I also hear fructose raises triglycerides so if I have fruits it has to be berries only.
  • DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have heard of one person who loved peanut butter on apples for a snack but found she couldn't eat a whole apple. She would take a half, or even a quarter, a day. Put lemon juice on the remainder and have it another day. She found that a small amount of apple, with the protein and fat in the peanut butter, wouldn't bother her, but a whole apple, or even a small piece by itself had to much sugar.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have insulin resistance. I have been told to keep my carbs to no more that 60 grams per day. Many foods have carbs in them and 60 grams can add up real quickly. I limit my fruit to berries or very small portions of other fruit. Some fruit I don't even try because of their carbs.

Interesting that one of the most successful commercial weight loss plans, tell you that there is no limit on fruits or vegetables within reason. I tried this program several times and was always discouraged because of slow weight loss or none, then throw in the towel.

This challenge from my doc has been working for me. I generally keep it 50 grams or less. I have to watch my blood sugars thou and there have been times I needed more carbs to stay within healthy limits. Just how my body responds.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »

Yup. Me too.

Yes...too much sugar. I also hear fructose raises triglycerides so if I have fruits it has to be berries only.

Yup, me too. I once bought a honey crisp apple and quartered it, ate one piece a day. Honeycrisp apples taste so good, I won't eat any other kind. They grow them here in Michigan.

But that was only one time. Can't handle any weight gains and cravings, so I stay away from them. This gut has to go...

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I absolutely ADORE apples; which is one of the things I miss most following this WOE. Prior to going full on Keto, I had an apple every day during the week as part of my lunch and I did this for years (Fuji & Gala apples being my two favorite kinds); however, I've figured out how to make chayote squash taste EXACTLY like apples so I can safely indulge the flavor I'm wanting whilst still ingesting a much lower amount of carbs / sugars. I like the chayote version of faux apples and use them in place of real apples in any recipes that calls for them now and it works wonderfully for me because if I did have one apple, not only would it kick me out of ketosis but it would also cause the neuropathy in my feet to flare up just from the amount of sugar contained in the apple. :/:'(