Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Is same as eating candy for me! :neutral:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Apples and other fruit cause me too many issues to include them in my diet. They not only stall my weight loss, but I have digestive troubles with them as well.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Interesting. I was just thinking how to incorporate honeycrisp apples into my diet. I am trying to stay below 50 net carbs daily so it will be interesting to experiment and see how they impact me.

I'm also <50 and just worked in Honey crisp by having only about 60gr of it and giving the rest to my daughter!

It's only the first few bites that are super delicious, so micro portions work for me.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Honey Crisps are amazing! So is most fruit that you can buy in the grocery store today. And part of the deliciousness is fructose - alas, something that if I eat will set off a chain reaction that for me is as bad as eating a donut. YMMV

I live in Washington State - apples are religion - at least on the East side of our mountains! :smile:

I keep having this conversation with friends - "What?! You don't eat fruit?!? Fruit is GOOD for you!!"

Sigh. Yes it is. And it is certainly better than potato chips. But it is a high sugar food. And if you eat lots of a high sugar food it will have a similar effect on you as eating sugar or pasta. (I know, I know, fiber mitigates that. Somewhat. Kind of. A little bit.)

200 years ago you would eat a few apples during harvest time, and maybe a pie or two. Grapes? Same thing. Fruit was seasonal. And the fruit that stored well (I love heirloom varieties that have been around for a few hundred years) did NOT have as high a sugar content. Have you tried a Red Delicious apple lately? They were THE apple when I was a kid. They have been largely replaced by new varieties because the flavor isn't as good. Why? Higher sugar content in the new varieties. And make no mistake, most (not all) of the fruits in our grocery stores were not available 100 years ago, and bear little resemblance to the fruit that our ancestors ate before that - with a few exceptions.

I was raised in Central America. One of my fondest memories are the ethnic foods and fruits that no one had ever heard of and that my friends could hardly believe when I described them. Now many of them are in the produce department of the Safeway where I shop! Huge change in just 20 years....

Now I go to my Costco in February and can buy AMAZING table grapes. Grapes picked yesterday. In Chile. That is Chile South America. Just like some people don't know that meat doesn't come in sterile plastic wrapped packages (Daddy, you mean hamburger comes from a cow?!?!?), so we take for granted the steady supply of fruit (and other produce) brought to us by the marvel of 21st century transportation.

My only point in this ramble is that much of a diet that people think is "normal" and "healthy" wouldn't have even been possible 100 years ago, let alone 200.

I understand why folks "push" fruit - it is WAY better than the junk food that most people stuff their bellies with. But long term it still has the same effect.

And short term, ketosis and fruit do not go together. For me.

When I am closer to maintenance I will add in lower carb higher fiber fruit that I LOVE - raspberries, blackberries in particular. But for now fruit of any kind is a personal no no - I have way too much weight to loose and I know my tendency to binge, so better not start.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    We need a like button for that post, nicintime. Hear, hear!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @nicintime what you said there makes a lot of sense to me. I love honey crisp apples too and I figured I would allow small amounts in rare occasions during visits to farms this fall. But I think I will look into the lowest sugar content apples and limit my indulgence to small amounts of those instead. After all, I expect they will taste plenty sweet to me since even many vegetables taste sweet to me now.
  • nicintime
    Options

:blush:

SunnyBunny - the heirloom varieties can be hard to find if you live where they aren't grown. Some coops, organic stores, and certain nurseries have them. Commercial growers go with what sells.

Sometimes a search for 'baking apples' or 'storage apples' will yield results.

Check out Raintree Nursery online and read the variety descriptions.

Good luck with your search!
  • nicintime
    Options
    After all, I expect they will taste plenty sweet to me since even many vegetables taste sweet to me now.

THIS!!!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I ate a small apple last night after reading this thread, and my weight is up 0.4 kg this am. No more apples for me!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »

:blush:

SunnyBunny - the heirloom varieties can be hard to find if you live where they aren't grown. Some coops, organic stores, and certain nurseries have them. Commercial growers go with what sells.

Sometimes a search for 'baking apples' or 'storage apples' will yield results.

Check out Raintree Nursery online and read the variety descriptions.

Good luck with your search!

There are a few Apple farms I visit every year and I know I saw baking apples at them before. I think I should be able to find myself an apple treat that won't load me up with sugar. Not sure if I'll have as much luck with organic though...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    An apple a day keeps ketosis away in my case. :(

I absolutely ADORE apples; which is one of the things I miss most following this WOE. Prior to going full on Keto, I had an apple every day during the week as part of my lunch and I did this for years (Fuji & Gala apples being my two favorite kinds); however, I've figured out how to make chayote squash taste EXACTLY like apples so I can safely indulge the flavor I'm wanting whilst still ingesting a much lower amount of carbs / sugars. I like the chayote version of faux apples and use them in place of real apples in any recipes that calls for them now and it works wonderfully for me because if I did have one apple, not only would it kick me out of ketosis but it would also cause the neuropathy in my feet to flare up just from the amount of sugar contained in the apple. :/:'(

@ladipoet I'd love to hear any recipes you have to share. I haven't ventured much into squash territory, but that's mostly because I've no idea how to prepare it to make it palatable! LOL TIA.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your posts and info. Next battle, post apple season will be the squash! Squash is on the veg list that I ruled out, but I will look up chayote squash. Butternut and acorn with cinnamon were my favs. Oh well, need to keep my eye on the prize.

There is a farm with some very old vintage heirloom varieties close to me, but my experiment with Macs makes me done for this season.

FYI - I did not eat any apples, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.. During those days, I ate 3 large steaks, Tuna-sushi, smoked salmon with cream cheese, chicken, lots of bacon, eggs, berries and cream. My "usual" LCHF, w/carbs reduced back to ~20g. I've had a weird bloated belly ache feeling with lots of gurgling Sunday am through today. I had steak and eggs, cream coffee this morning before weigh in. Result: Down 1 lbs. this morning. I noted a lot of water loss over the weekend. I gave up 2 weeks of progress and have about 25 apples left on the table. I will bring them to work to get rid of them. What a bummer, but lesson learned. I'm still somewhat incredulous that it takes that little change (keeping CICO the same) to stall this process. I'm more of a believer than ever that it's what you eat, and not just calories.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@ladipoet I'd love to hear any recipes you have to share. I haven't ventured much into squash territory, but that's mostly because I've no idea how to prepare it to make it palatable! LOL TIA.[/quote]

Sent to your email address. :)

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks!