How long to remain in Ketosis?

Options
E_Brault
E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
I have been in Ketosis for about 12 weeks and lost 43 pounds. From what I'm reading online, we really shouldn't go beyond 12 weeks in Ketosis. So like the OptiFast Plan suggests, I have added 1 fruit and 1 yogurt per day and bumped up my calories by 200. Initially, my cravings for sweets increased, but then were gone.

I feel like I am driving blind. I'm not on OptiFast, it just seemed like the only program that came close to what I've been trying to do. Right now my intent is to keep doing what I am doing until my BMI is below 25.

Any feedback on the length of Ketosis or links to websites would be most appreciated.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I plan to remain in Nutritional Ketosis for my lifetime, as recommended by my Endocrinologist for treatment of chronic conditions. Heck, I would barely start to get the best benefits I've enjoyed before 12 weeks. If it is executed properly, I believe it can be done safely for life. I don't have any studies to send you, but I'm sure others will.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing loss! Except for major holidays, I plan to stay in ketosis for life. If for no other reason that it helps with my moods. I am happier and less anxious on low carb. I think I might be getting a bit more mental clarity going on, too, now that I've upped my fat to over 80%. Plus I know if I go out of it for more than a day here and there I'm going to be susceptible to the greased Slip and Slide that leads to a daily bakery visit.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    From what I'm reading online, we really shouldn't go beyond 12 weeks in Ketosis.

Any feedback on the length of Ketosis or links to websites would be most appreciated.

The internet is a funny thing... I think you are missing a huge portion of the information / research.

Keto will also be a lifestyle for me indefinitely. It does not "need" to be so for everyone, but nutritional ketosis, Low Carb High Fat, Ketogenic diet, or whatever it may be being called is not just a short term fix to loose a few pounds and then "get back to normal". A huge portion of our population is not handling carbs well, particularly the "carbage" of refined carbohydrates that fills our grocery store.

Start at the list of links at the beginning of this community. It is an excellent resource and will keep you reading / watching for days.

I binge researched for a couple of weeks before I jumped in. Not everyone can do so, but it is my casual observation that people who try LCHF on a "casual" basis are doomed to fail, and then they walk around saying that a Ketogenic way of eating "doesn't work", when the reality is that they never really tried it.

• nicintime
    Options
    This is an excellent talk on making keto long term - http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-long-term/
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you implement it, but it can be safe for a lifetime.

The adaptations happen mostly in the first month or two, so you're there.

If you can keep your hunger and cravings in check, it's OK to increase carbs as you are, but some people find it a dangerous game and potentially a slippery slope.

I use ketosis as a tool. I don't do it full time, but there are potential health benefits to do it full time. The weight loss benefit is mostly one of appetite control, so focus on that if it's your main goal.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I intend on doing what I am doing for lifetime. The last time I did a LCHF diet (10+ years ago) I went back to "normal" WOE and gained everything I lost plus some back. Yes I have 100+ lbs to lose but I am also working to keep myself from getting DMII as it runs in my family, carb counting is the best way to reduce the chance. Like others above I will allow myself to eat what I want on major holidays and will implement small amounts of bread, potatoes, ect once I am to a point that I know I will not over indulge.
  • nicintime
    edited September 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The weight loss benefit is mostly one of appetite control, so focus on that if it's your main goal.

I heartily agree with the wabmester, but research also points to another significant change that happens in most people when they are "keto-adapted", that is remaining in nutritional ketosis for 4-6 weeks. The body's primary fuel source switches from burning glucose, to burning ketone bodies / fat.

Gary Taubes (and others) have some interesting research on this in terms of the mechanism by which fat gets into and out of our cells. While this statement is rather simplistic (the science is complicated) I think it accurately captures much of what's going on. When we eat a high carbohydrate (insulogenic) diet it tends to "push" fat into the cell and to some degree "lock" it there. As the carbs are removed, insulin levels drop, fuel burning in our bodies begins to switch, and the fat is more easily released from our cells.

Those scientists out there might nit pick at a word or two of my simplistic explanation - the only reason I give it is that I have experienced that there are way more benefits than appetite control to nutritional ketosis! I am not loosing the weight that I am loosing only by calorie restriction and water weight, though that certainly helps.

Again, I can't recommend enough "binge research", and the links at the beginning of this community are a GREAT place to start! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    That's an amazing loss! Except for major holidays, I plan to stay in ketosis for life. If for no other reason that it helps with my moods. I am happier and less anxious on low carb. I think I might be getting a bit more mental clarity going on, too,

Im not sure how to quote, but I agree with your comment on moods, anxiety and clarity. I'm so happy about the weight loss. I have a lot more clothes (my old ones). I fit into my favorite shoes again and my favorite black onyx ring fits too.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    From what I'm reading online, we really shouldn't go beyond 12 weeks in Ketosis.

Start at the list of links at the beginning of this community. It is an excellent resource and will keep you reading / watching for days.

I binge researched for a couple of weeks before I jumped in.

I love to do research. I will refer to the videos and articles in this group. Thank you. I was secretly hoping, I could do this for life. I had misgivings about increasing the fat in my diet, but long term - I think it is the way to go.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I agree with staying in nutritional ketosis for life. I'm using this diet to treat a lifelong condition, and I've been keto for over 8 months.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I dont do very well with moderation or portion control or any of that jazz. If I did, I wouldn't need to lose weight. I am too all or nothing. Low carb and ketosis are going to be pretty much life choices for me. It makes it easier for me to control food choices.
  • nicintime
    Options

I binge researched for a couple of weeks before I jumped in.

I love to do research. I will refer to the videos and articles in this group. Thank you. I was secretly hoping, I could do this for life. I had misgivings about increasing the fat in my diet, but long term - I think it is the way to go.

One of the mental impediments to doing this long term is the demonization of fat in our country in the last 40 years (coincidentally the same period of time that obesity rates and type 2 diabetes have gone off the charts.

This talk by Dr. Sarah Hallberg is a great intro to the topic, and although it focuses on diabetes it is a great introduction to the topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

As you watch the referenced links there will be "jumping off" points that will allow you to find out more about the fats that are actually beneficial, and how on the WOE good fat calories become your major fuel source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWnL3NMqyYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6DtqmZ3Mw

And I will stop here so I'm not spamming you!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ... research also points to another significant change that happens in most people when they are "keto-adapted", that is remaining in nutritional ketosis for 4-6 weeks. The body's primary fuel source switches from burning glucose, to burning ketone bodies / fat.

Gary Taubes ...

Two of my favorite topics! I won't disagree with you. Not here. This thread is a lovefest. :)

But a fun discussion could be had about those particular theories of weight loss. ;)

• nicintime
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Two of my favorite topics! I won't disagree with you. Not here. This thread is a lovefest. :)

But a fun discussion could be had about those particular theories of weight loss. ;)

Absolutely! Love and hugs and bacon!

And I will opt out of that discussion, thanks, and let you have it with Phinney and Volek. :smiley:

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Chaperone Mediated Autophagy is one feature of nutritional ketosis that draws me especially it's potential impact on pathologies and aging.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014579309010710
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm in for life!
  • Azuriaz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chaperone Mediated Autophagy is one feature of nutritional ketosis that draws me especially it's potential impact on pathologies and aging.

I tried to read this yesterday, but my brain went NOOOOOOOOOOO!

So just now started hunting around for a more dumbed down version, found a quote to get me started on the topic, anyway:

*Ketosis cleans our cells*

So Ketosis is Scrubbing Bubbles. I can science! B)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

So just now started hunting around for a more dumbed down version, found a quote to get me started on the topic, anyway:

Sorry but you did a great job of getting to the base meaning of CMA.

It is part of the muscle sparing feature of living in nutritional ketosis as I understand it.

25,000 years ago if a person had been without food for two weeks he or she would still need their muscles to try and capture something to eat. Chaperone Mediated Autophagy (CMA does not mean Country Music Awards :) ) enables protein fragments inside of cells to get passed out of the cells and be reused as protein by the body as I understand it. Some thinks this is one reason we get told we look younger by some people.

Here is a group of students trying to act out how the CMA process may work. Not sure it will be helpful but after watching it again just now the guy with the hat seems to be a damaged protein inside of a cell that is causing damage to the life of the cell.

The people into CMA research are light years ahead of my capacity for sure. I am not really into the Arts so this video and the music seemed weird to me. :)

https://vimeo.com/14584027

• Azuriaz
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sorry but you did a great job of getting to the base meaning of CMA.

It is part of the muscle sparing feature of living in nutritional ketosis as I understand it.

25,000 years ago if a person had been without food for two weeks he or she would still need their muscles to try and capture something to eat. Chaperone Mediated Autophagy (CMA does not mean Country Music Awards :) ) enables protein fragments inside of cells to get passed out of the cells and be reused as protein by the body as I understand it. Some thinks this is one reason we get told we look younger by some people.

Here is a group of students trying to act out how the CMA process may work. Not sure it will be helpful but after watching it again just now the guy with the hat seems to be a damaged protein inside of a cell that is causing damage to the life of the cell.

The people into CMA research are light years ahead of my capacity for sure. I am not really into the Arts so this video and the music seemed weird to me. :)

https://vimeo.com/14584027

Thanks for the link, I'm going to try to keep learning about this. Oh how I wish now I had a biochem background!

Edit: But your link! The title was deceiving. It's not the video you think it is. Tee hee! At least nobody was naked in it!
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've just started keto and really like it but I think I may end up cycling in and out of it depending on other physical goals. And maybe so I can have treats here and there without feeling like I'm destroying my body. Definitely some stuff would motivate me to follow this diet more often than not: fighting free radicals, what it does to the cells - like others have said, cleaning them, keeping muscle intact, fighting stuff like Alzheimer's, mood boost, trimming the fat from my body, etc. Very impressive to me indeed!