Should I eat scheduled meals if I'm not hungry?

Options
Someone mentioned to me that I should try eating 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 large meals. I've been trying it out and I am finding if I never let myself get super hungry, I am able to resist temptation better.

My question is: If I'm not hungry at all, should I still eat my scheduled mini-meal or wait until the next one?

Help?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I suspect you would be able to resist temptation better if you saved calories for the times of the day when you were most hungry, rather than sticking to an arbitrary schedule.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    If you're not hungry, why eat?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Pick whichever way will help you meet your calorie target the easiest. To be perfectly honet, its a totally individual thing and so only you can answer that question. Maybe you can experiment as see which one works best.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I suspect you would be able to resist temptation better if you saved calories for the times of the day when you were most hungry, rather than sticking to an arbitrary schedule.

agreed
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I eat when it's time, I don't care what my body is trying to tell me. It serves me well doing it that way.

Most people, in my opinion, have no idea what "listen to your body" means. Not many people can actually do it. If you could do that, you wouldn't be here logging calories every day.

Eat when it's time.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat like you do - 5-ish small meals in a day. The difference is, I don't "schedule" mine - I don't give them times. I eat when I'm hungry, and I don't eat when I'm not. I end up eating 4-5 small meals in a day, every day.
  • Audrea23
    Audrea23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stick with the schedule and eat a mini meal/snack. Your body will quickly adapt and get used to eating on a regular schedule.
    In a week or 2 you will notice that your body is ready to eat every couple/few hours once you get in a routine.

The key is "mini" meal though :)
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    I was told by a personal trainer to eat every few hours to keep my metabolism fired up. In the beginning, I had a hard time eating when I wasn't hungry, but now I get super hungry if I go past 3 1/2 or 4 hours. The key is balancing the calories & nutrients out so you're not taking in too many.
    It works for me but.........you know what works best for your body. Do that, and you'll do fine. Good luck!
  • jshort152
    Options
    Don't waste your time with 5 smaller meals, there is no metabolic increase or any other benefits to them, I'd stick with the 3 meals a day and keep yourself satisfied with a nice big dinner rather than it being your last meal with few calories left! Hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Stick with the schedule and eat a mini meal/snack. Your body will quickly adapt and get used to eating on a regular schedule.
    In a week or 2 you will notice that your body is ready to eat every couple/few hours once you get in a routine.

The key is "mini" meal though :)

^^^^^This
  • BrittanyErica
    BrittanyErica Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    back when i started eating 5 small meals a day, it was difficult to adjust my body to it, because i wasn't hungry when i was supposed to snack. but now that i've forced myself to eat the 5 meals every day, i scheduled the times of my meals (7:30am, 10:00am, 12:30pm, 3:30pm, 6:30pm), and now i actually get hungry within a few minutes of when i'm supposed to eat. so, in my oppinion, i think you should eat the 5 meals a day, and try scheduling them. you're body will adjust to it.
  • daintyameba
    Options
    My question to you is this... if you choose not to eat when you are supposed to because you are not hungry... when you get hungry will you be able to make good food decisions or will you become more impulsive because you are hungry? Just something for you to ponder....
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    As long as you're netting enough calories for the day, it doesn't matter when you eat them. :)
  • mrsdutra07
    Options
    Wow - what a great fantastic response!! Thank you all for the great feedback. I think I'll stick with it and see what happens. It's only been a few days, so I bet I'm still adjusting to how I should feel.