These rolls/buns are amazing!!

Options
2»

Replies

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    if you think about it..a husk is in the natural state, so will be whole/harder/big …...a flour is always the ground up version..some are finer than others. I have hemp seeds, hulled, no hard outer husk..and I still grind them finer.. for shakes and bread….otherwise you have tiny chewy niblets that taste like walnut pieces…so grinders have been used since the stone age ( i.e. a flat rock to pound grains) to make hard corn kernels into a 'flour"..etc.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    if you think about it..a husk is in the natural state, so will be whole/harder/big …...a flour is always the ground up version..some are finer than others. I have hemp seeds, hulled, no hard outer husk..and I still grind them finer.. for shakes and bread….otherwise you have tiny chewy niblets that taste like walnut pieces…so grinders have been used since the stone age ( i.e. a flat rock to pound grains) to make hard corn kernels into a 'flour"..etc.

Thanks, I get that, I just wondered if there was a difference as in almond flour vs almond meal.

I made these for the first time, thanks for the link. Not bad, and just what I wanted as a vehicle for butter and marmite. There was a slight bitterness but I think that was due to quite old flax seeds that were all I had in. The texture reminded me of a scone. I have 2 left and will have them with brie and avocado for lunch tomorrow.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I'm going to try these as soon as I can get the ingredients together. I've been trying to get more fiber into my diet, now that I'm eating less fruit. I'm not worried about the total carbs. I test for ketones anyway, so if eating more fiber throws me off, I'll find out about it.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    …..with brie and avocado for lunch tomorrow.

OHHHH great idea…I needed an "ahem" vehicle for fats myself..so I keep making these.<happy>

• totaloblivia
    Options
    did anyone create an entry on the mfp database for these? Am hoping to save myself a job as I'm very lazy!!! Thanks.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Will have to try these buns, for the days when I just want a roll, today my other half had a fab italian roll, and I I was a tad jealous watching him eat it, as I age my ham rolled in lettuce leaves, :lol:. However I was thinking, that roll would send me sky rocketing with weight no matter how hard I excersise.
  • LawMJY
    LawMJY Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    These sound really good, I can't wait to try the recipe. Any idea where I can get psyllium husk powder in the UK? Holland and Barrett's maybe?
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    LawMJY wrote: »
    These sound really good, I can't wait to try the recipe. Any idea where I can get psyllium husk powder in the UK? Holland and Barrett's maybe?

When I went to Holland and barretts they only had the stuff packaged specially for ibs sufferers and the like and it was really expensive, like over 10 pounds (bit of a rip off for the afflicted). I went to my local health food shop and they had some. It was just under 4 pounds I think. I just got psyllium husks and used them as is as they were pretty finely ground. Worked OK! You can probably get them online as well.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I tried these last night - unfortunately I left my chia seeds at work (that I intended to use to replace the psyllium husks with) and had to substitute flax seeds. Theoretically a 1:1 replacement . . . but the dough was a runny mess!

I baked them in single serving pie tins. Definitely yummy - but I'll make sure I bring the chia seeds home next time (they are supposed to be better in breads).

I added a bit of italian seasoning to two of them - really good! I'm planning on making a couple of rolls I can take for Thanksgiving dinner, since I was debating whether it was worth a day of high blood sugar to have a regular roll.