Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Let er rip!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good lawdy...why is it all about farts with you?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    When ISN'T it about farts?
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's about sharts.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on submaximal deadlifting with or without a belt?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting has been known to cause farts.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Would cutting reps be considered a deload or should I run my full workout at about 60% weight?
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Would cutting reps be considered a deload or should I run my full workout at about 60% weight?

When I deload, I usually cut weight...and sometimes sets. But your mileage may vary.
  • SideSteel
    Options

You can really do either. My preference is to leave the weight on the bar but reduce the number of sets.
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have developed tendinitis in both elbows due to too much deadlifting. I fell in love with it in April. And I have just done too much too often. My body has let me know that it needs a break. I plan on taking the next two weeks off which is going to kill me since I'm an addict. I plan on continuing to squat 1 day heavy and 1 day light. Any ideas on other things I could do to not go crazy?
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    If it's actually just tendonitis, try just using straps for a bit? It's the gripping part that caused my tendonitis (golfer's elbow). Seems a bit weird to have that happen on deadlifts though, since there is no elbow articulation. Are you sure that's what the problem is?
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mixture of a few things but it hurts to do any pulling exercise. I never use straps and it's my under hand (mixed grip). Going back to my straps when I get back into it and probably double over hand grip.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Thanks ya'll.

Continuing on Wendler 531 and adding couch25K for the last 10 weeks has prompted me to take a break. I am having knee pains like never before and also lower back pain (right side). I feel that I may have over worked having run 5 5k training runs on top of my usual 5/3/1 workouts (no accessories).

I want to continue running but not sure how if the pain continues.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks ya'll.

Continuing on Wendler 531 and adding couch25K for the last 10 weeks has prompted me to take a break. I am having knee pains like never before and also lower back pain (right side). I feel that I may have over worked having run 5 5k training runs on top of my usual 5/3/1 workouts (no accessories).

Given that you have joint pain I'd consider deloading harder (lol). In other words, do more than just take some volume away. Let that stuff heal up.

For me anyway, joint pain = take weight off the bar and possibly take a training break. But if I don't actually hurt and I'm in a deload phase I prefer to just reduce volume and leave weight on the bar.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

Greg Nuckols has some good articles on belt and belt-less training.

http://www.strengtheory.com/the-belt-bible/
    http://www.strengtheory.com/should-you-wear-a-belt-or-not-study-write-up/
  • SideSteel
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

^ these are good IMO
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    I've been working my way back from my shoulder injury, and my bench presses have not been recovering the way I'd hoped. It's only been five weeks since I resumed lifting, so maybe it'll just take some more time. The good news is the pain in my shoulders has all but disappeared during daily activities, although my left shoulder takes a while to warm up before doing pressing motions with full range of motion. But I was struggling to do sets of five at BW last workout, when I used to be doing sets of five at 1.25x BW.

Not wanting resolution from y'all, just venting a little with peeps who may understand.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Thanks ya'll.

Given that you have joint pain I'd consider deloading harder (lol). In other words, do more than just take some volume away. Let that stuff heal up.

For me anyway, joint pain = take weight off the bar and possibly take a training break. But if I don't actually hurt and I'm in a deload phase I prefer to just reduce volume and leave weight on the bar.

Thanks SS, I have 2 days of deload left for this week and I sill have quite a bit of knee pain as well as a slight dull pain in lower back. I was scheduled to do a heavy 5/3/1 workout today (rep count in half) and short slow run tomorrow but I may just head to the gym and stretch and relax.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I've been working my way back from my shoulder injury, and my bench presses have not been recovering the way I'd hoped. It's only been five weeks since I resumed lifting, so maybe it'll just take some more time. The good news is the pain in my shoulders has all but disappeared during daily activities, although my left shoulder takes a while to warm up before doing pressing motions with full range of motion. But I was struggling to do sets of five at BW last workout, when I used to be doing sets of five at 1.25x BW.

Not wanting resolution from y'all, just venting a little with peeps who may understand.

Yeah, it sucks. I hurt my shoulder in an unrelated incident and it took about 4 months before I was benching similar numbers again.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    cajuntank wrote: »

^ these are good IMO

Thanks...but...yeah, I'd read all that and my take-away was, "it depends". Lots of info on squats and "near maximal" effort. Lately I've been doing DL with and without a belt. I don't think my top, working sets are even 75% of an estimated 1RM. With a belt seems to help me think about and concentrate on increasing IAP, which I try to carry over to beltless.
    Thanks again.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I've been working my way back from my shoulder injury, . . .

I understand and feel similar.
    I had shoulder surgery last Dec and was told to not even try a BW Bench until this Dec. Before surgery my 5 RM was ~1.5X BW.
    Patience patience patience.