October Q and A

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    How does the warm-up process work at a powerlifting meet?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    JTick wrote: »

It really depends on the equipment availability at the meet. Of the meets I've done so far, the majority were chaotic cluster-F's. You've got several people all trying to squat and bench with limited equipment.

Now fortunately, people are usually very polite. But you can expect that there's going to be limited number of squat racks and people lined up to squat when it's their turn. Typically there will be racks set up with different rack heights and different weights.

And usually if someone needs to do a few reps with a given weight that's already on the bar, people will let you in before they start adding more weight.

So it's a not-well-organized mess that isn't officiated one bit, but somehow it works.

I prefer starting warmups earlier than I think I need to at a meet, and pacing myself at the low to mid range ramp-ups. So for example if I'm going to open at 400-410lbs, I'll get my mobility work and warmups up to about 225 out of the way and I'll hover around 225 for a bit and start watching the clock and the previous squad. I only need to run singles from 275 to about 375 to be ready to open. So that's like 4 singles.

If I start warmup early and it turns out I need to wait longer I can always just stop at 225 and hit 225 again in 10-15 minutes and be totally fine.

The last meet I did was in an ENORMOUS gym that had squat racks everywhere and about 10 bench presses. It was amazing. I had to share a squat rack 1 time for 1 set. Other than that, I had my own rack. It was ridiculous. Same with bench and deads. But that's probably not the norm and it's DEFINITELY not the norm in hotels or other venues where the PL organization has to bring in their own equipment.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member

TSA has a warm up timer on their Freebie section.

http://thestrengthathlete.com/freebies/

Works pretty well, and has been fairly consistent when I've used it for warming myself up and for handling other lifters.
  • SideSteel
    n3ver3nder wrote: »

TSA has a warm up timer on their Freebie section.

http://thestrengthathlete.com/freebies/

Works pretty well, and has been fairly consistent when I've used it for warming myself up and for handling other lifters.

They also have lots of other awesome stuff on that link :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    What are your thoughts on volume training for an intermediate lifter? I was working reps from 8 to 12 reps for the past year and at a point in my training where i have maxed out efficiency.
  • adiboy2349
    adiboy2349 Posts: 20 Member
    What's gonna happen to the body composition when only one type of macro(Carbs) is consumed? I'm going out into the wilderness for a holiday & hence wont have access to the normal food sources nor would I be able to workout for a week. Suppose I eat at maintenance, would that change the body composition?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    adiboy2349 wrote: »
    What's gonna happen to the body composition when only one type of macro(Carbs) is consumed? I'm going out into the wilderness for a holiday & hence wont have access to the normal food sources nor would I be able to workout for a week. Suppose I eat at maintenance, would that change the body composition?

I can't imagine any composition changes in a week if you are eating close to maintenance. Why are you limited to only carbs? There are plenty of "back-packer" balanced food options.
  • SideSteel
    psulemon wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on volume training for an intermediate lifter? I was working reps from 8 to 12 reps for the past year and at a point in my training where i have maxed out efficiency.

If you are no longer making progress then from a training standpoint you either need more volume or more recovery (too much volume, can't recover, performance tanks).

That's where I would start.

How you program that depends on goals/etc
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    SideSteel wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

If you are no longer making progress then from a training standpoint you either need more volume or more recovery (too much volume, can't recover, performance tanks).

That's where I would start.

How you program that depends on goals/etc

Thanks. I am on the final stages of fat loss (about 15% now) and needed something different since i wasnt making progress.
  • SideSteel

One week isn't going to make all that much of a difference honestly. From a practical standpoint I'd just go enjoy your trip and get back to normal diet/training when you return.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    Speaking from experience, I never eat at maintenance when I'm out camping, simply because unlike at home where I sit all day, in the woods I'm constantly moving, hiking, chopping wood, etc. Are you hiking your food in? Carbs weigh less, but take up more volume in a backpack. A lifetime of camping experience with the Boy Scouts and military has given me tons of practice in knowing what food to bring, how to prep it in the woods, etc. Hit me up if you need any notes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »

One week isn't going to make all that much of a difference honestly. From a practical standpoint I'd just go enjoy your trip and get back to normal diet/training when you return.

Yup. Hell, you could eat zero calories for a week and it wouldn't be the end of the world. A lopsided macro intake at maintenance for a week isn't gonna do anything.
  • DopeItUp
    Anybody got some good ~8 week peaking programs that they have experience with? Something 5/3/1 related would be even better. I did some googling but that just netted me 30 billion options.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Paul Carter has an "11 week" and "7 week" peaking program, and I guess he's bros with Wendler. They both have a deload and then an off week hence the quotes. I just tried the 11 week, but I won't be able to tell you how I feel about results until after Saturday.
  • SideSteel
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Anybody got some good ~8 week peaking programs that they have experience with? Something 5/3/1 related would be even better. I did some googling but that just netted me 30 billion options.

Check TSA, I know they have a few programs. Check powerliftingtowin---not sure if they have any but it would be a good place to check.

You could also write one. If it's helpful for you to go over peaking concepts let me know.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    what's peaking?
  • SideSteel
    timg760 wrote: »
    what's peaking?

Peaking is basically expressing maximal or peak performance on a specific date. So for example a peaking program will (hopefully) allow you to be at your best on the day of the meet.
  • DopeItUp
    edited October 2015
    That was weird, I just made a long post but it's not here. Well I ain't writing all that drivel again. Ah well. As you mentioned Mr. Street, I'll probably just make it up myself. I've read about the concepts of peaking from Mike Israetel so I'll probably just modify my current 5/3/1 routine to fit.
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    So Last Monday while squatting, 4th rep of 4th set I got a little fast going down and went a little to deep and when I exploded up I felt a pop just inside of my upper thigh. I iced and rested and haven't squatted since. It was much better just a little tender. Today at work I moved wierd I guess and I felt it pop again and I guess I am starting the healing process over. I played sports my whole life and never had a groin injury. So all that being said. Do you think it's a groin strain or maybe the front of my hip flexor. I do not have a loss of strength or bruising or swelling. It hurts it I raise my knee up and then out to the side.
  • SideSteel
    Rep4Him wrote: »
    So Last Monday while squatting, 4th rep of 4th set I got a little fast going down and went a little to deep and when I exploded up I felt a pop just inside of my upper thigh. I iced and rested and haven't squatted since. It was much better just a little tender. Today at work I moved wierd I guess and I felt it pop again and I guess I am starting the healing process over. I played sports my whole life and never had a groin injury. So all that being said. Do you think it's a groin strain or maybe the front of my hip flexor. I do not have a loss of strength or bruising or swelling. It hurts it I raise my knee up and then out to the side.

Too hard to say at this point but I would lean towards this being a very minor strain of some sort.

When I tore my rectus femoris I heard a pop but the pain went away in seconds and I kept squatting pain free. Then the next day it hurt, and 3 months later I'm still waiting for this thing to heal fully.

If you have the financial means (and/or insurance) to get it covered I would consider getting it looked at if you don't see substantial improvement in the next week or so. I ended up getting an MRI to find out what was going on and I'm glad I did.