October Q and A

Options
13»

Replies

• Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am going to continue icing and wrapping this week. If it isn't much better by Monday I will be headed to the doctor. I think it's just a groin strain but I don't want to risk anything serious. Thanks
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
  • Rep4Him
    Options
    Interesting article. A lot of it makes since too.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just saw this article on TNation, How Women Lift and Train Differently Than Men by Mark Rippetoe. It's an older article dated 10/01/14 but first I've seen.

https://t-nation.com/training/strength-training-for-women

Would be interested to hear thoughts and comments.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Just saw this article on TNation, How Women Lift and Train Differently Than Men by Mark Rippetoe. It's an older article dated 10/01/14 but first I've seen.

https://t-nation.com/training/strength-training-for-women

Would be interested to hear thoughts and comments.

There was just a good discussion about this in F&E, yesterday I think?
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks @DopeItUp, I'll have to find it...
  • DopeItUp
    Options
  • Rep4Him
    Options
    I started lifting in 2009. I am 6'3" and I weighed 160lbs. I gained 47lbs the first year. I spent the next five years doing the typical bodybuilding "bro split". This April I began to focus on strength training and plan on competing in powerlifting at some point next year. I have had some overuse injuries as of late and I'm nursing a groin injury. I was doing P/L/P repeat. I pretty much build my own program from other programs. My question for the power lifters here is this... Are there programs that you really like? What rep and set ranges do you prefer on your heavy days?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Rep4Him wrote: »
    I started lifting in 2009. I am 6'3" and I weighed 160lbs. I gained 47lbs the first year. I spent the next five years doing the typical bodybuilding "bro split". This April I began to focus on strength training and plan on competing in powerlifting at some point next year. I have had some overuse injuries as of late and I'm nursing a groin injury. I was doing P/L/P repeat. I pretty much build my own program from other programs. My question for the power lifters here is this... Are there programs that you really like? What rep and set ranges do you prefer on your heavy days?

There's quite a few ways to do it.

I can say that I very much prefer high frequency training for myself and clients. So for example I'll squat 3 days per week and bench 3-4/week, pull twice, mix of accessories.

I don't prefer body part or push/pull/legs types of splits because they lack frequency and moreover I like to view it based on movement frequency since you're not only building strength but you're building the skill of expressing strength through those specific lifts.

For rep ranges I prefer to undulate such that I mix heavy days (1-5 reps) and hyper days (6-9) reps along with some lower intensity days (power although slightly heavier than traditional west side DE days).

Then I'll periodize either in blocks or a wave pattern accross the weeks and then taper according to meet days.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's almost the end of October, but I'll throw a few out there.

- Is it okay to deadlift in squat shoes (like raised heel)? I feel kind of stupid asking this, tbh. But I'm still dealing with lower back pain on "heavier" squats. I think it's some combination of minor form issues / not tightening my abs / and not firing my glutes effectively. And I'm thinking of going back to using my squat shoes to see if it helps at all...But I don't use them at present because I've been under the impression I shouldn't use them for deadlifting.

- Any recommendations on improving OHP? I was at 45 forever until I read about "power leaking" in Rippetoe's book. That carried me to 60 for 3x5 pretty easily. I can do 65 for 3. But I've been here a long time. Would it be better to try and squeak out more reps until I can add weight? Add the weight and just do really low reps - like 1-2? Or break down and bring fractionals to the gym with me?

Thanks!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

- Is it okay to deadlift in squat shoes (like raised heel)? I feel kind of stupid asking this, tbh. But I'm still dealing with lower back pain on "heavier" squats. I think it's some combination of minor form issues / not tightening my abs / and not firing my glutes effectively. And I'm thinking of going back to using my squat shoes to see if it helps at all...But I don't use them at present because I've been under the impression I shouldn't use them for deadlifting.

I generally wouldn't recommend it because you're essentially putting yourself at a disadvantage due to being higher off the floor. You're basically turning the deadlift into a deficit deadlift. If you've got back issues this might make it worse.
    - Any recommendations on improving OHP? I was at 45 forever until I read about "power leaking" in Rippetoe's book. That carried me to 60 for 3x5 pretty easily. I can do 65 for 3. But I've been here a long time. Would it be better to try and squeak out more reps until I can add weight? Add the weight and just do really low reps - like 1-2? Or break down and bring fractionals to the gym with me?

Thanks!

Very generally speaking, if you're not making progress and it's not a technical issue then you either need more volume or less volume.

Are you recovered and feeling good? Try adding training volume.
    Are you feeling beat up and showing any other signs of under recovery? Try reducing volume.

There are plenty of ways to add training volume. One would be to attempt to add more reps at 60. Another would be to add more sets.

Example: If you can do 65x3 as a max, you could try 1 day per week where you press 65x2,2,2 and see if you can add sets over a few weeks to build volume.

Many ways to arrange it depending on the program.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I generally wouldn't recommend it because you're essentially putting yourself at a disadvantage due to being higher off the floor. You're basically turning the deadlift into a deficit deadlift. If you've got back issues this might make it worse.

Thanks!

Very generally speaking, if you're not making progress and it's not a technical issue then you either need more volume or less volume.

Are you recovered and feeling good? Try adding training volume.
    Are you feeling beat up and showing any other signs of under recovery? Try reducing volume.

There are plenty of ways to add training volume. One would be to attempt to add more reps at 60. Another would be to add more sets.

Example: If you can do 65x3 as a max, you could try 1 day per week where you press 65x2,2,2 and see if you can add sets over a few weeks to build volume.

Many ways to arrange it depending on the program.

Thank you - very helpful!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Quick question- used barbell for OH press tonight and found 17.5 kg tough going for 3x8 usually do 10kg db. Is it the different position that makes it harder or could it just be I'm not used to lifting with bar. It was only a light weight bar too.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    You can't post in here anymore, it's November now.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    post post post