Top sources of carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    for me: vegetables, legumes, and low carb tortillas. And the occasional ak mak crackers (with my sardines!).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Before I started eating low carb, I ate LOTS of cookies & other sweets (especially ice cream), bread & bagels, cereal and pasta.

Now, if I am going to have something I don't normally eat it will most likely be some type of sweet (cookies/cake/ice cream/brownie).

The one thing I really miss is mac & cheese...I never tried a mac & cheese I didn't like. The really good home made stuff or even the cheap boxed stuff with the powdery mix...it was all good to me. At some point I need to try one of the low carb recipes. If anyone has one they really like, let me know.

It's not a substitute, per se, but the cheese sauce @KnitOrMiss reposted is awesome on broccoli and/or cauliflower pieces. Steam up some broccoli and/or cauliflower (or heat up a bag of frozen) and smother in the cheese. Nom, nom, nom.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that actually likes that cheap boxed stuff with the powdery mix. My stepdad has the best method, too -- mix up the milk and powder when you first start boiling the noodles. It gives it time to thicken into a real sauce and makes the final dish creamy goodness. This works especially well with the really cheap brands that still need like a quarter cup of milk (as opposed to Kraft's reformulation or redo of the recipe to only call for like 2 tbsp).

I used to love that stuff! My dad always made it with a dash of seasoned salt! LOL I don't think I've ever had the "leaded" real stuff. I know that HungryGirl had a recipe that called for using the broccoli with cheese sauce, adding Laughing Cow cheese wedges, but it used whole wheat noodles. Maybe I should try it with the "egg" noodles from I Breathe I'm Hungry! LOL
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I do love potatoes and sweet potatoes and do still want to eat them sometimes. I'll just eat a taste usually, then leave them alone for another month. Sweet potatoes will get eaten once every 2-3 months. Every couple of months I'll buy some avocado oil potato chips, better than crappy oil chips, and I weigh about half a portion out so the carb count isn't too high. If I've gone for a long walk that day, great, I don't sweat the carbs. Being able to stop at just a taste is huge for me.

I also allow myself to eat very good quality ice cream made with real sugar about once every two months or so, but not in huge quantities. I know what it tastes like, don't have to eat a quart! I've had as little as 2 Tbsp ice cream and felt happy.

I have no desire to eat bread or cereal or cakes or anything like that though. I had less than 1/4 c rice today, don't ever want to eat gluten again.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Before I started eating low carb, I ate LOTS of cookies & other sweets (especially ice cream), bread & bagels, cereal and pasta.

Now, if I am going to have something I don't normally eat it will most likely be some type of sweet (cookies/cake/ice cream/brownie).

The one thing I really miss is mac & cheese...I never tried a mac & cheese I didn't like. The really good home made stuff or even the cheap boxed stuff with the powdery mix...it was all good to me. At some point I need to try one of the low carb recipes. If anyone has one they really like, let me know.

How about using your cheese sauce, whatever you like, and putting it over ground meat like hamburger or scrambled eggs? Cheesy goodness or lousy imitation? ;)

The hamburger idea sounds really good...with eggs I would just go for the cheese omelette (another favorite...luckily I can still eat those as often as I like!)
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@Dragonwolf had a basic cheese sauce recipe she posted a while back... It's great on chicken, veggies, or anything!

2c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice), 1/4c heavy cream (optional, but adds creaminess to it), 1tbsp tapioca starch (or equivalent starch, such as arrowroot powder or corn starch), ~2c cheese (strong-flavored cheeses work best -- sharp cheddar, monterey, etc.). Put milk and cream in a pot on med-low heat, whisk in starch, allow to heat up and thicken a little (~10-15mins), keep whisking gently to ensure nothing sticks and burns. Add in cheese a few tablespoons at a time to allow it to melt fully. Keep adding cheese until it reaches the thickness/consistency you want/need (if you only have 2c cheese and want it real thick and creamy, start with 1c milk).

Thanks! I will try that. I could definitely see using that with lots of things.

Dragonwolf wrote: »

It's not a substitute, per se, but the cheese sauce @KnitOrMiss reposted is awesome on broccoli and/or cauliflower pieces. Steam up some broccoli and/or cauliflower (or heat up a bag of frozen) and smother in the cheese. Nom, nom, nom.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that actually likes that cheap boxed stuff with the powdery mix. My stepdad has the best method, too -- mix up the milk and powder when you first start boiling the noodles. It gives it time to thicken into a real sauce and makes the final dish creamy goodness. This works especially well with the really cheap brands that still need like a quarter cup of milk (as opposed to Kraft's reformulation or redo of the recipe to only call for like 2 tbsp).

I'm definitely going to try that...I eat broccoli often and usually just have it plain...the cheese sauce will make it much more enjoyable.

I can't even guess how many boxes of mac & cheese I've eaten in my lifetime...I used to have that for dinner once or twice a week!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I know there are a lot of substitutes, I just need to get busy trying some new recipes. That's an unexpected benefit of lchf for me...I am starting to cook a little more often than I used to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

How about using your cheese sauce, whatever you like, and putting it over ground meat like hamburger or scrambled eggs? Cheesy goodness or lousy imitation? ;)

@Dragonwolf had a basic cheese sauce recipe she posted a while back... It's great on chicken, veggies, or anything!

2c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice), 1/4c heavy cream (optional, but adds creaminess to it), 1tbsp tapioca starch (or equivalent starch, such as arrowroot powder or corn starch), ~2c cheese (strong-flavored cheeses work best -- sharp cheddar, monterey, etc.). Put milk and cream in a pot on med-low heat, whisk in starch, allow to heat up and thicken a little (~10-15mins), keep whisking gently to ensure nothing sticks and burns. Add in cheese a few tablespoons at a time to allow it to melt fully. Keep adding cheese until it reaches the thickness/consistency you want/need (if you only have 2c cheese and want it real thick and creamy, start with 1c milk).

Mmmm. My middle son would love that!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I really love and miss Mac n cheese. The following recipe helped tremendously. My non-keto daughter requests it often AND eats all my leftovers!

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/01/cauliflower-mac-n-cheese-with-english-cheddar-and-bacon.html

Also, finally figured out my Mac n cheese 'thing' was really a thing for melted cheese! Easy! Just eat melted cheese! Pepper jack is great!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I do love potatoes and sweet potatoes and do still want to eat them sometimes. I'll just eat a taste usually, then leave them alone for another month. Sweet potatoes will get eaten once every 2-3 months. Every couple of months I'll buy some avocado oil potato chips, better than crappy oil chips, and I weigh about half a portion out so the carb count isn't too high. If I've gone for a long walk that day, great, I don't sweat the carbs. Being able to stop at just a taste is huge for me.

I also allow myself to eat very good quality ice cream made with real sugar about once every two months or so, but not in huge quantities. I know what it tastes like, don't have to eat a quart! I've had as little as 2 Tbsp ice cream and felt happy.

I have no desire to eat bread or cereal or cakes or anything like that though. I had less than 1/4 c rice today, don't ever want to eat gluten again.

I like my ice cream right on the verge of melting, so what I've been doing is do a portion or half of ice cream, and cut it with equal parts heavy cream. Makes me feel like I get double the ice cream, but the fats slow down the absorption, and it isn't as sweet, but I don't have to take the eons to make Keto ice cream, etc. The container is now gone and I won't buy anymore for months, but that was my compromise...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, and on the homemade cheese sauce, the first time I made it, I didn't have almond milk or anything, so I used half regular milk, half cream, and it was pretty good.

Last night I made it with almond milk which had no flavor, even with the cheese added, and made the mistake of using xantham gum, and I used more than I needed to I guess, because it made it taste like paste. I ended up adding more cheese, seasoned salt, pepper, and stealing the idea from alfredo sauce, some nutmeg. I also added more cream and some butter, and it's pretty good flavor wise, but the texture is ... less appealing. Does anyone have suggestions for how to cut the leftovers so it's more of a sauce and less of a gelatinous mass when I serve it again?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

I really love and miss Mac n cheese. The following recipe helped tremendously. My non-keto daughter requests it often AND eats all my leftovers!

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/01/cauliflower-mac-n-cheese-with-english-cheddar-and-bacon.html

Also, finally figured out my Mac n cheese 'thing' was really a thing for melted cheese! Easy! Just eat melted cheese! Pepper jack is great!

That looks good...I will try this soon. I've seen other recipes that use riced cauliflower, but they seem like quite a lot of work and I don't have a food processor. This one seems easy enough for me to handle though.

And I think it is about the melted cheese for me as well. The macaroni is really just there to hold the cheese. LOL!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I like my ice cream right on the verge of melting, so what I've been doing is do a portion or half of ice cream, and cut it with equal parts heavy cream. Makes me feel like I get double the ice cream, but the fats slow down the absorption, and it isn't as sweet, but I don't have to take the eons to make Keto ice cream, etc. The container is now gone and I won't buy anymore for months, but that was my compromise...

We make Atkins milkshakes. 8 ounces heavy cream, 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk, 1 Tbsp cocoa, 1 Tbsp sugar free Hershey's syrup, a couple of packets of pure via stevia, and 8 ice cubes. Blend and pour into two glasses. Drink it right away or else the ice melts down and then it is just like chocolate milk.

• Kitnthecat
    Options
    Does anyone have suggestions for how to cut the leftovers so it's more of a sauce and less of a gelatinous mass when I serve it again?

• Kitnthecat
    Options
    oops, hit that too fast......how about just whisking it with more cream and butter to thin it out ?

My favorite cheese sauce is just like an Alfredo sauce made with butter, about twice as much HWC as butter, blend and heat, adding parmesan or other cheese, whisking. I add a bit of Epicure 3 onion dip mix sometimes too...
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Knit or miss
    I'm new to this so working hard at it. How long did it take you to lose 55 lbs. I lost 5 my first week. Hope for a few this week.

See you lighter
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When I make cheese sauce(and I make it alot)I just pour about 1 cup HWC in a Pyrex measuring cup and add some shredded sharp cheddar, some parmesan, maybe cream cheese, then microwave for 2 minutes, stir, then pour over whatever. So easy, just HWC and cheese. It thickens when you stir. No need for other thickeners.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Umayster
    I think it was you who posted a recipe for cream cheese and brocolli a deffinite make. Sounds supper good.
    See you lighter
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Knit or miss
    I'm new to this so working hard at it. How long did it take you to lose 55 lbs. I lost 5 my first week. Hope for a few this week.

See you lighter

I started losing weight in 2010, while going through separation and divorce. I tend to joke that I lost the 265 pound weight off my back and I just started getting healthy after that...

In 2010, I was 319.

In 2012, around June, I got down to 250. (major loss due to activity aka finally getting off my butt and stopping eating my feelings and such, about 50 pounds was lost in 3 months, so I know a lot of it was muscle loss, too.

By 2014, I'd gotten back up to 272.

Lost down to 245 again doing CICO only. Burned out badly.

On 1/12/15 I was 262. I started low carb on 1/15/15. Went to Keto on 2/18/15.

I'm hovering in the 240-245 range, but I'm down 2 pants sizes or more from any time I've been this weight because I'm finally losing right, ditching the fat and not the muscle. From 2014 to 2015, I have pictures that I'd only lost like 14 pounds, put it looks like 50 pounds due to fat loss and such.

ursedwl62knx.png
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh, and on the homemade cheese sauce, the first time I made it, I didn't have almond milk or anything, so I used half regular milk, half cream, and it was pretty good.

Last night I made it with almond milk which had no flavor, even with the cheese added, and made the mistake of using xantham gum, and I used more than I needed to I guess, because it made it taste like paste. I ended up adding more cheese, seasoned salt, pepper, and stealing the idea from alfredo sauce, some nutmeg. I also added more cream and some butter, and it's pretty good flavor wise, but the texture is ... less appealing. Does anyone have suggestions for how to cut the leftovers so it's more of a sauce and less of a gelatinous mass when I serve it again?

I've experimented with xantham gum, and I agree - the texture is so bad, I threw out the whole container! I know some hard core low-carbers may disagree - but I find that using plain ol' wheat flour to thicken cheese sauce really does not result is so much carbs per serving. If I use 2 tablespoons of flour, and be sure to simmer & stir a lot - the sauce will thicken up sufficiently. I use this flour-thickened cheese sauce on par-boiled cauliflower cut in in small pieces and baked with grated parmesan on top.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What is HWC?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream = hwc, @CrazyMermaid1