Snack time

Options
anbrdr
anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
I've been thinking about this for a bit and seem to run in to a lack of creativity.
When I'm sitting in my office anywhere from 8-12 hours, I often have a panging for something to snack on. Something that's not yogurt, deli meat, cheese, (as those are usually my breakfast/lunch). My office is usually stocked with cashews, Turkey pepperoni slices, and beef jerky. Sometimes you want something sweet or salty just to get the flat taste of water and ketosis out of your mouth.

Have you found any decent high-protein, low carb, low sugar snacking options?

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Roasted chick peas by The Good Bean are yummy and they come in a few different flavors. I also like 34 crackers with a little Laughing Cow. And pork rinds are always good for the salty/crunch factor.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Emmy's Vegan Chocolate Macaroons are fantastic.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Roasted chick peas by The Good Bean are yummy and they come in a few different flavors. I also like 34 crackers with a little Laughing Cow. And pork rinds are always good for the salty/crunch factor.

I love the Good Bean roasted chick peas! Seems like my post-WLS diet doesn't involve much crunch, and I love these for the crunchiness, pork rinds too!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I keep premier protein bars handy.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I keep premier protein bars handy.

that's my go to snack too

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, hummus with baby pepper strips, Pure Protein bars, almonds, baybel cheeses, greek yogurts, and snappea crisps are all common snacks for me.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    snappea crsips here also and they are yummy. Also have walnuts and almonds, pork rinds, and protein chips as my afternoon snack foods. Like you I tend to eat the the cheese sticks, meats and yogurt for lunch as well.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    NUTS and beef jerky for me
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The protein bars seem to fill me up so fast, so I have them cut into small pieces - kind of like bar mini's.
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ssbeadlady wrote: »
    snappea crsips here also and they are yummy. Also have walnuts and almonds, pork rinds, and protein chips as my afternoon snack foods. Like you I tend to eat the the cheese sticks, meats and yogurt for lunch as well.

What do the protein chips taste like i see them advertised all the time>
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Google Mocha Ricotta. All the south beach diet ricotta desserts are amazing. If you can't find it, message me.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Just an FYI, you can totally bake quest bars into cookies. I took a Chocolate chip cookie dough bar (i've read the other flavors do well, also), broke it into about 5 or 6 pieces, smashed them down a bit and baked them in a 350* toaster oven for about 5 minutes, flipped them over, and went for about 3 minutes. crispy outside, soft inside.. Wish I had some milk.

Delicious hot cookies at my desk, win for me. The office smelling like fresh baked cookies, win for everyone else.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    mjks_mom wrote: »
    ssbeadlady wrote: »

What do the protein chips taste like i see them advertised all the time>

I don't care for greasy chips never have and would always get Lays Baked chips. To me they tasted better than Lays Baked Chips. I get the Ranch, Pizza and BBQ flavors and they are loaded with flavor. This past month I got Krinkles -flavor was Dill Pickles. They were cut like crinkled french fry but they were a crunchy, tasty chip and have that tart taste you would expect from a pickle.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I recently found Boulder Canyon protein crisps at a local store. I picked up the dark chocolate flavor to try them out. I find that they curb that sweet craving I have without being overly sweet. They have 12g of carbs, 10g of protein,120 calories and 2g sugar. The serving size is aprox 47 chips but I usually am satisfied with about 10 chips. I thought the numbers looked good. Hope I'm right.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    for snack tonight sugar free butterscotch pudding
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My company participates in the Virgin Pulse program and this is their current recipe. I may try it out this week because it looks super yummy. LOTS of carbs, but I'm guessing the "serves 1" thing is actually about 4 servings for my sleeve.

Banana "Ice Cream"
    (serves 1)

INGREDIENTS
    1 large ripe banana
    1 tbsp honey
    1/8 tsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
    Slice the banana into coins, then put in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for at least two hours.

Blend the frozen bananas in a small food processor or chopper. Keep blending, then scrape down the food processor at intervals. Eventually, the bananas will begin to crumble, liquefy, then form into ice cream. Blend until desired consistency and freeze until solid, then eat like any traditional ice cream!

You can get creative with flavorings, too. Add a scoop of nut butter, cocoa powder, or fresh berries - whatever you like!

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
    (1 serving)

Calories: 192
    Fat: 0g
    Carbs: 44g
    Protein: 1g
    Fiber: 3g
  • anbrdr
    Options
    OK, so I took the suggestion to try some of The Good Bean products. They are quite tasty!

Then I found something even better...

Seapoint Dried Edamame. So far I've found Lightly Salted, and Wasabi flavors. Both taste great and satisfy that salty/savory craving. The best part about them is 1/4 cup contains 14g of protein. And the bags are only 1.99 at the local Harris Teeter.
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Porkrinds and salsa work
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You should also try the dried seaweed sheets. It takes a long time to eat them and they are lightly salted so it's a good munching snack. A whole pack of them (which is technically 5 servings, but I eat all 5) is like 100 cals and 5g protein. A bit of good fats and no carbs. I find them really tasty. You can get a bunch at Costco for pretty cheap.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    GNC carries baked protein chips (several diff flavors). 21g protein per bag. 120 cals - Total Fat 2g
    They don't taste too bad. A little chalky but that only keeps you from eating the entire bag (which is good because 21g of protein can be tough to digest). Trust me I know from experience!!