Hello ... and help please?

JanGraceyDAlessandroStinson
JanGraceyDAlessandroStinson Posts: 8 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Hello, newb here and in need of help. I was happy to find this community and hoping for help and information. I'm still uncertain about whether this is for me, but I've read enough personal accounts (outside of this particular site) where people have experienced improved health with this particular eating regimen and apart from trying to kickstart my weight loss again, I want to see if it will help me too. I just don't know if I can do it.

Not a dieting newbie ... been at that for about 40 years.

I posted in the main forums looking for help because I'm a total newb when it comes to ketogenics. It's a rather long story & history.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10268540/soooo-confused-about-ketogenics#latest

The long and short of it - I understand the process (I think) but how in the heck do you actually find food to make a meal of? Menus are a bit of a problem for me.

Today was my first day. I didn't manage to meet all my goals. I stayed within my calorie limit (trying hard to shake those last few pounds), and met the carb limit, but not the others.

Daily Goal

Calories 1,000
Carbs 25 (no way I can manage ,20 right now)
Fat 78
Protein 50
Fiber 21

What I Ate

Calories 1,000
Carbs 25
Fat 66
Protein 43
Fiber 8

I usually get a lot of my fiber from grains like whole cereals or (shhh...) bread. No, didn't have any bread today. Holy cow ... I slice has most of the carbs for a whole day.

There's soo much fat ... I'm not used to that.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Still reading through your other post you linked, but try this site as far as menu planning ideas and stuff...

https://www.eatthismuch.com/

And, something is off in your diary. You can't have your macros sparsed out like that and not be over on something when under on other things.

And when you are eating keto, fat takes the place of fiber. You are unlikely to need a single gram of fiber. Fat is the solid waste lubrication process. You are also likely to go less often with less quantity. Will write more when I finish the other post.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Take a look at the group - The Low Carber Daily Forum. It is a large and active group of people who post lots of information and support about this Way of Eating (woe.) You will get lots of good information about how the diet is structured. I also found a website when I was starting out that has a free seven day eating plan. http://Ibreathimhungry.com/ is a good resource and has a great many recipes that show you how to replace high carbohydrate food with low carb.

Unfortunately for me, and many others, low calorie/low fat doesn't work for weight loss. LCHF works. I struggle with getting enough fat but it is important. It adds flavor to food and provides a feeling of saiety.

Finding your way will be a work in progress for a while. There are ins and outs that make it easier. You are currently very low calorie. On this way of eating it is not necessary to restrict yourself so much. There are websites that have questionnaires that will help you determine the proper macros for your lifestyle.

Anyway, you are in the foothills of determining exactly what a Low Carb diet is. The reality is that it may be slightly different for each person. The upside, and the reason to do all this work, is that you will really feel better than you have in a long time once you get past the first week or so. You will also lose weight.

Get to work, there is a lot to learn
  • KnitOrMiss
    Okay, so other than the naysayers, that was actually some good info. Dunno if you found the other group too:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I personally don't really use reddit, as I don't like the interface much, but when looking up recipes and such I do...

I've been low carb (under 50 grams of carbs) since January 15, 2015, and I went keto in Febraury 18, 2015. I dropped to 20 grams of carbs at first, but I've upped that number and maintain my nutritional ketosis so that I can include kombucha daily.

Let us know what specific questions you have... I can't see your diary yet. Up fats slowly but steadily. I used to be the type to dab the grease off pizza before I ate it. Once you drop the carbs, your body will be able to process the fats easier, and you'll find yourself craving them, because they are a far more efficient fuel for the body than carbs.

As far as recomp, low carbing/keto will help, but I agree that you mainly need to ditch or severely cut back your cardio and max out on a strength program. At your age, (no insult, fact), it will strengthen your bones, prevent injuries, and help with the body recomposition.

For an example, this is a 14 pound difference, and about 14 months, about half of it low carb/keto...NO exercise except for the occasional walk. I'm also 5'4", but I'm 39 years old, have insulin resistance, PCOS, and hypothyroidism, among other issues. I'm working to heal an ongoing injury (15 years) in physical therapy, so I'm limited to what I'm allowed to do... But it is possible...

eunm67rhinx3.png

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I just wanted to fix the link that was posted above - it's such a great website with awesome recipes

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/

Also add in
    http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    If you are seriously interested in the ketogenic diet, do not post on the main forums. You're like a wounded rabbit hopping around in a wolf sanctuary. They'll pounce on you the minute you enter. lol.

When i first started, meals were simple. Made things super easy. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, salad with meat and dressing for lunch and a meat grilled or baked in fat with some side veggies on the side. Then I'd fill in my macros with snacks. Celery and almond butter. Almonds. Fat bombs. Hardboiled eggs. Deviled eggs. Don't overcomplicate things but if you want to branch out and cook then there's tons of recipes! I also love the ibreatheimhungry site and www.ruled.me is a great site for info and some recipes!
  • AngInCanada

The peace love and low carb cheesesteak stuffed peppers are AMAZING! My kids and husband all devoured them.
  • KnitOrMiss
    If you are seriously interested in the ketogenic diet, do not post on the main forums. You're like a wounded rabbit hopping around in a wolf sanctuary. They'll pounce on you the minute you enter. lol.

When i first started, meals were simple. Made things super easy. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, salad with meat and dressing for lunch and a meat grilled or baked in fat with some side veggies on the side. Then I'd fill in my macros with snacks. Celery and almond butter. Almonds. Fat bombs. Hardboiled eggs. Deviled eggs. Don't overcomplicate things but if you want to branch out and cook then there's tons of recipes! I also love the ibreatheimhungry site and www.ruled.me is a great site for info and some recipes!

Ang, she actually got some great, well-mannered advice, if you check the other post. I was very much impressed.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    She also got some ketohaters, pounce and kill
  • KnitOrMiss
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    She also got some ketohaters, pounce and kill

I only saw one when I read earlier, so maybe I won't go back and check again! LOL
  • AngInCanada
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Ang, she actually got some great, well-mannered advice, if you check the other post. I was very much impressed.

Wow! I'm actually quite impressed! Heje.