Tracking

Options
12346»

Replies

• ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @heybales while going through an article yesterday i read that body recomposition is not possible without calorie cycling! How much is this true? Should we also use calorie cyclying during a metabolism reset or be consistent with our numbers on rest days and workout days?
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @ibtmas
    Some people reduce their calories a little on a rest week to account for reduced activity level.
    I usually keep mine around the same as I am pretty active outside of my workouts anyway.
    In the grand scheme of things, it won't make too much difference.
    It's what you would feel comfortable with but obviously you don't want to be eating way higher than your activity level.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ibtmas wrote: »
    @heybales while going through an article yesterday i read that body recomposition is not possible without calorie cycling! How much is this true? Should we also use calorie cyclying during a metabolism reset or be consistent with our numbers on rest days and workout days?

Body recomp very possible eating at maintenance.
    Slower than a bulk/cut cycling method, but still possible.
    As Ichel mentions, probably an imperceptible improvement if you tried to move calories around a tad - like put an extra 200 in the 24 hrs after a lifting workout, which means they are taken from other days with no repair going on.

The balance is probably best looked at by adherence - if rest day has you not hungry by say 200 calories, but you are remaining hungry the day after a lifting workout, then a shift would be beneficial.

Same kind of balance within the day - if not really hungry for breakfast and a sitdown job, but a strong workout after work leaves you hungry for rest of evening - then some of breakfast calories shifted to evening likely be better.

But many success stories in this thread on recomp - so I'd be curious who had the article on it requiring calorie cycling.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    @heybales I don't think it's lowered activity for me. My workouts are still pretty intense, I think it's learning to eat for my age. I'm menopausal and I'd day I eat less sweets now then I did 4 years ago, I workout about the same (I don't have ice cream every day!), but the weight has slowly crept on. I needed help with when was an ok time to eat sweets or drink beer and alternatives for daily snacking so here's hoping!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sadly it's been found that daily activity still has more impact than workouts on daily burn. Unless VERY sedentary daily life but long strong workouts.
    So your workouts can be just as intense - but vast majority of people have seasonal change of activity that effects their TDEE more than that.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I completely underestimated my NEAT activity when I started with EM2WL.
    It makes a big difference calorie burn wise.
    I'm super active in the summer doing lots of gardening work, walking etc whereas in the winter I do a lot of indoor projects (not a fan of the cold so don't go outside so much)
    It probably makes a difference of about 2-300 calories (not including the gardening work). I use this to my advantage though, and cut in the summer (where I literally find it hard to eat enough!) and maintain/body recomp in the winter.
    It's great when you can get to know the natural cycles and rhythms of your body and use it for good rather than fighting it!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well I ended up working with a personal trainer for three months, worse time of utter though Oct, Nov, Dec, so my bday, my husband's, thanksgiving, Christmas and New year! I have at this point lost 6 lbs, started, I believe, at 148lb now usually weighing in at 142.2 in the morning. I've stalled though and need to change it up. I've got my MFO set for 1600 a day, usually getting 1800-1900 and about 600-900 in exercise calories a day. Thinkng of increasing my calls for a bit and then cutting again.