how many carbs do you eat? advice needed..

Options
13»

Replies

• tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    well maybe i should keep doing what i am doing everything in moderation 1200 calories plus exercise but no more than 1500 .. keep researching check my acl in 3 months and go from there right now im at the high end of normal . im just not going to do all or nothing its not going work..

Did you just talk yourself out of it?
    I hope not. You might be truly AMAZED at how you're able to control the cravings if you give it a real solid go. You can "re-train" your taste so that lesser sweet things will taste more sweet to you. It just takes the decision to do it and the help of appetite control you can achieve with the presence of ketones, which you will have under 100g. The more ketones you're making, the more control you will feel over this.
    If there was a pill that you could take that would help you achieve control over your sweet cravings, would you take it?
    If you had to take the pill for at least a whole week, while also not eating sweets, before it started working, would you still take it?
    What if after 2 weeks of taking the craving pill and not eating sweets out of pure will power, the pill really kicked in and it was much much easier to resist and then week by week, it got easier and easier??? And as a bonus, the pill had some other effects of mental clarity and energy and lower insulin levels and with long term use there would be many other health benefits...
    Sounds better in pill form but you can have that result without one.

i think the way i made the post people think im trying to have 100g of sweets a day... i don't eat them everyday but i think about them at least once a day.. I grew up think a meal without rice dumplings,plantains was not a meal. not much pasta growing up the Jamaicans i know don't really do pasta just a lot of rice! the rice pot was sometimes bigger than the meat pot. we had that big 50 lb bag of rice in the pantry we didn't use a cup measurement. our cup measurement was more like a big gulp cup from a rest stop. smh. than i remember mom getting diabetes than it was this weird brown rice, Bulgar wheat, oatmeal and dry chicken with no skin by the time i was a teenager and my first job was at wendys!! so you can kinda guess how that went..i digress... im leaning more towards trying it after some more research but, my husband do not think keto is healthy though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I don't think the people here are hardcore. I think we all recognize those "allowances" we tried to keep when we first started were the same ones that caused us to fail in the long run. They just want you be succeed. It's one thing to have 100 grams of carbs each day from vegetables and nuts. It's quite a different thing to pick 100 grams because you want to allow baked goods. Some of us even found that we had to get super strict.

I was always a sweet eater, but I didn't initially mind quitting those to get healthy. My problem was breads. I would bake several loaves a week, or bagels, or rolls, or anything else I desired. The thought of quitting bread was just too much for me. But, I quickly learned that 50 grams of bread carbs and 50 grams of vegetable carbs were totally different in how I responded to them.

There's nothing wrong with setting a goal of 100 grams. Just be aware that trying to make room for a lifetime of "just one treat a day" is like trying to quit smoking but thinking you'll be able to smoke just 3-4 cigarettes a day for long term success.

I love your analogies, @FIT_Goat! These frame the issue up perfectly for anyone wrapping their head around addiction and moderation and unable to reconcile it rationally...

Sad to say, though, after reading the OP's responses, I'm currently feeling like we were all punked by someone just trying to see how passionately riled up they could get us helpful types. I hoped my words helped at least one person, because at least then writing all that out would have been worth it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't think the people here are hardcore. I think we all recognize those "allowances" we tried to keep when we first started were the same ones that caused us to fail in the long run. They just want you be succeed. It's one thing to have 100 grams of carbs each day from vegetables and nuts. It's quite a different thing to pick 100 grams because you want to allow baked goods. Some of us even found that we had to get super strict.

I was always a sweet eater, but I didn't initially mind quitting those to get healthy. My problem was breads. I would bake several loaves a week, or bagels, or rolls, or anything else I desired. The thought of quitting bread was just too much for me. But, I quickly learned that 50 grams of bread carbs and 50 grams of vegetable carbs were totally different in how I responded to them.

There's nothing wrong with setting a goal of 100 grams. Just be aware that trying to make room for a lifetime of "just one treat a day" is like trying to quit smoking but thinking you'll be able to smoke just 3-4 cigarettes a day for long term success.

I love your analogies, @FIT_Goat! These frame the issue up perfectly for anyone wrapping their head around addiction and moderation and unable to reconcile it rationally...

Sad to say, though, after reading the OP's responses, I'm currently feeling like we were all punked by someone just trying to see how passionately riled up they could get us helpful types. I hoped my words helped at least one person, because at least then writing all that out would have been worth it.

Good advice posted is going to be read by those who need it. That's my constant hope anyway. Ripples in a pond. Maybe the person who is meant to see it looks away, but they are still there for others to see.
  • tashatashae
    Options

punked really? that hurt and i don't get hurt usually from people i dont know.. i read every single comment i thought i finally found a part of this community that was actually supportive . i haven't had good experience in the forums im sorry you feel like you waste your time. but you didn't!! im so sad right now i really thought this was a good support group here i was like yes, i can do this. i can ask them for help there answering my question and not making me feel stupid.. I cant explain to you how mad i am. i was really reaching out for help i started planning in my head how i was going do this and still be a mother and a wife.. thanks for the trigger... and i say once again you did not waste your time you guys where really giving me "life" like yes i can do this and they have my back.. im sad to say im just not going post on any public forum anymore. i wasn't trying to get anyone riled up it always seems to end the same here for me. you will never know how much the statement you wrote about me was untrue....smh people, i just realized the only person that's going truly help me, is myself..why it always have to end in someone judging me huh? im sorry but the comment was uncalled for.. exit stage left.. ONCE AGAIN THANX TO THE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED MY QUESTION WITH NO JUDGEMENT , I READ EVERY SINGLE ONE AND WILL READ EVERYONE THERE AFTER IF MORE COMES.. IM SORRY I CANT RESPOND INDIVIDUAL... I HAVE A 3 MONTH OLD AND 18 MONTH OLD MOST TIME MY HANDS ARE FULL YOU KNOW! you guys really did initially help me dang , i thought it was going be different in this support group..
  • tashatashae
    Options
    i exercise i don't eat candy i like to bake so i like baked goods. i don't see myself eating a whole bunch of meat all day im just trying to cut where i can. the medical issue is not a "issue" yet and i don't want it to become one .. my acl was 5.6 when i was pregnant 3 months ago. to my understanding its best to set yourself up with something you can sustain. cooking for my toddler, husband and my newborn when he gets a little older, 25g is not going to last a lifetime. even when i was gestational diabetic i got to eat carbs just a certain amount every meal i didn't count calories though so it was easier for me. also i have acanthosis nigricans which is showing me something is going on in my body.

*** BINGE TRIGGER WARNING - SPECIFIC FOOD CONTENT WARNING - PLEASE SKIP IF THIS BOTHERS YOU!!! ***

The Acanthosis Nigricans tells me that you are most likely insulin resistant (it's a huge sign of it) or another metabolic syndrome. As does your attitude towards sweets. And your belief that you won't be willing or able to succeed lower carb. None of these statements are judgments in any way. Just statements.

But, let me tell you know I this, because I used to be is so very like you. While I did not have gestational diabetes, I did have all kinds of hormonal craziness. At my heyday, I was eating king-sized candy bars as if 2-3 bars was a serving. Multiple times a day. I couldn't function without the influx of sugar. And no matter what, I wanted them. Even if I wasn't hungry. I used to bake. When I made banana bread, I didn't make one loaf, I made 8 or so, because a loaf was a serving to me. I'd buy double chocolate muffins, planning to eat one or half of one, and eat the entire package. I could eat nutella with spoon, and a tub or more in a sitting. I remember one time having 4-6 large jars in the pantry. My ex used to call it my liquid crack.

And it doesn't stop there... Pasta? 3-4 plates was nothing. At one point I ate almost 2 large pan pizzas by myself... anything I made, I made in quantity. double and triple batches of macaroni and cheese. After a time, the huge block of velveeta and an entire package or three of pasta. It might last 2 meals. A family size bag of chips could last 1-2 sittings. Chips and salsa - I used to buy the largest containers of eat and eat that for meals...

I could go on and on and on, but hopefully I've made my point.

I'm 5'4" tall, 39 years old, female. At my heaviest weight recorded at my doctor's office, I was 319 pounds (in 2010). I'm currently 249 pounds (I just had a gain of a few pounds after a setback). Eating lower carb (your level is finding what works for you) is possible, if terrifying at first. It can be maintainable and forever, and healthy for your kids (they don't need bread and sugary treats for health), etc. It just has to be reasonable AND maintainable, as you said.

Meat is not critical to eating lower carb, but it does help. Finding what vegetables do and don't affect you. For example, I'm thrilled to know that I can eat tomatoes without too much trouble, despite the fact they're higher carbs... I can eat potatoes once in a blue moon in small portion. Foods to not have to be gone forever unless we can't find a way to control ourselves around them.

When you eat this way, your taste buds change. I now really enjoy foods I used to completely hate - or eat things daily I would have never tolerated trying before. And I'm going to give you a small bit of tough love here. If the "medical issue" is enough to be labeled and acknowledged, it is already an issue. It is just not raging out of control screaming for medication or hospitalization, etc. I had to accept that denial I'd been using myself.

And just because you were allowed to have a certain amount of carbs while pregnant and having GD does not mean it was the most healthy thing for you. You seem to have found a decent amount of balance, though, ti have made it through, and that is wonderful.

I too, burned myself out on bacon and eggs. I'm finally back to eating eggs, but bacon has been on a 4 month or so hiatus from my diet. The key is to not think of how you have to get rid of things - but rather how you can tweak the things you already eat to make them healthier. It's not as impossible as it seems. And i know it does seem impossible.

It took me over 6 months, recommendations from my endocrinologist, not to mention my PCP who had already been asking me to cut carbs for years, to even warm up to the idea that this was possible, doable, and maintainable. And it is. I researched and asked a million questions. I got my head in the game. And then I tore through a huge box of chocolates I got on after Christmas clearance over three days and just hit a wall. I realized I didn't want to keep living like that. So I decided to change.

I still eat some junk, I still eat out. I still eat things I shouldn't. I still eat off my plan sometimes, but this is not a slow thing to change. This is real life, and crap happens. The biggest things I would say is love yourself, forgive yourself, ditch guilt, and make the better decisions whenever possible (not the best decision, because we all know that's not possible all the time - we live in reality - but a better decision as often as possible).

Listen to all the folks here. Pick different things to try. Start at 100 grams of carbs. Figure out what foods make you feel good and what doesn't. Decide if you want to drop some. Maybe drop to 90 grams of carbs the next month. Maybe not if you lose weight and feel good at 100 grams... Maybe you'll find you feel better lower. Or higher. Only you can tell. But try to make changes only once every 4 weeks so you can see what's really working. It's all about you and your journey. Accept that in having two very young children at home, you're going to have to use some convenience foods and batch cooking. Just make them the better ones you can find. I still eat pepperoni quite often. Is the processed stuff good for me? No, not at all, but it's better than all the old junk I used to eat... LOL

And work on changing how you think about dropping your carbs. Think about all the things you can do, you get to do, and you want to do again or eventually, like with your kids and hubby... Focus on where you're going, not where you've been, and your load will lighten. Dropping your carbs will give you more energy and make it easier to keep up with your bundles of joy!! Good luck and ask us all a million questions. Unlike what I've experience before here or elsewhere, this group is all about lifting each other up and helping others succeed, too! It's not a competition, and anyone attempting to help will work to keep your best goals in mind and give advice based that direction.

Good luck.

how you go from this to thinking i punked you..
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    well maybe i should keep doing what i am doing everything in moderation 1200 calories plus exercise but no more than 1500 .. keep researching check my acl in 3 months and go from there right now im at the high end of normal . im just not going to do all or nothing its not going work..

Did you just talk yourself out of it?
    I hope not. You might be truly AMAZED at how you're able to control the cravings if you give it a real solid go. You can "re-train" your taste so that lesser sweet things will taste more sweet to you. It just takes the decision to do it and the help of appetite control you can achieve with the presence of ketones, which you will have under 100g. The more ketones you're making, the more control you will feel over this.
    If there was a pill that you could take that would help you achieve control over your sweet cravings, would you take it?
    If you had to take the pill for at least a whole week, while also not eating sweets, before it started working, would you still take it?
    What if after 2 weeks of taking the craving pill and not eating sweets out of pure will power, the pill really kicked in and it was much much easier to resist and then week by week, it got easier and easier??? And as a bonus, the pill had some other effects of mental clarity and energy and lower insulin levels and with long term use there would be many other health benefits...
    Sounds better in pill form but you can have that result without one.

i think the way i made the post people think im trying to have 100g of sweets a day... i don't eat them everyday but i think about them at least once a day.. I grew up think a meal without rice dumplings,plantains was not a meal....

Everybody here grew up in a culture of carbs. And everybody here either gained weight or suffered health issues as a result.

We're giving you advice based on what worked for us. Playing number games with macros is not the hard part. Changing your mindset is the hard part, and it's required for low-carb success.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This is THE best support group. Really. Truly, all of us here feel so much better eating this way, from the small things to the large, even decades of chronic pain being managed, just from changing how you eat! It is amazing, and we just want you to also experience this. Especially since you are exploring it for health reasons. Everyone here is hoping for your success, and knows the pitfalls, trying to save you doing it the hard way the way some of us had to do it.

• baconslave
    Options

punked really? that hurt and i don't get hurt usually from people i dont know.. i read every single comment i thought i finally found a part of this community that was actually supportive . i haven't had good experience in the forums im sorry you feel like you waste your time. but you didn't!! im so sad right now i really thought this was a good support group here i was like yes, i can do this. i can ask them for help there answering my question and not making me feel stupid.. I cant explain to you how mad i am. i was really reaching out for help i started planning in my head how i was going do this and still be a mother and a wife.. thanks for the trigger... and i say once again you did not waste your time you guys where really giving me "life" like yes i can do this and they have my back.. im sad to say im just not going post on any public forum anymore. i wasn't trying to get anyone riled up it always seems to end the same here for me. you will never know how much the statement you wrote about me was untrue....smh people, i just realized the only person that's going truly help me, is myself..why it always have to end in someone judging me huh? im sorry but the comment was uncalled for.. exit stage left.. ONCE AGAIN THANX TO THE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED MY QUESTION WITH NO JUDGEMENT , I READ EVERY SINGLE ONE AND WILL READ EVERYONE THERE AFTER IF MORE COMES.. IM SORRY I CANT RESPOND INDIVIDUAL... I HAVE A 3 MONTH OLD AND 18 MONTH OLD MOST TIME MY HANDS ARE FULL YOU KNOW! you guys really did initially help me dang , i thought it was going be different in this support group..

Try not to get too upset over one misunderstanding.
    Text communication is so limited. Misunderstandings happen.

I don't think anyone was judging you. We all know exactly where you are coming from. I have 4 kids, and though they are older now (youngest is 4), they are still all over me like stink on a skunk most days.

In Knit's defense, we do get trolls on forums who play people. It makes us wary. Glad you are legitimate. :smile:

The best to do is take all the good advice and take it to heart. Focus your energy on making yourself the best "you" and don't worry over invisible people on the internet. They don't know you.

Like you said,
    "i just realized the only person that's going truly help me, is myself"
    In a way that is 100% true. Beating the weight battle is 100% mental. I had loads of advice, information, and also pressure from family for 17 years. In the end that mattered not one bit. Not until I decided I was going to take care of myself and make myself better. I took the good info, and I made it happen. Me and no one else.

You can do that, too.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Mod-Hat on:
    In the future, and this is directed toward everyone, please let's not accuse people of trolling. Mmmmkay. :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    i exercise i don't eat candy i like to bake so i like baked goods. i don't see myself eating a whole bunch of meat all day im just trying to cut where i can. the medical issue is not a "issue" yet and i don't want it to become one .. my acl was 5.6 when i was pregnant 3 months ago. to my understanding its best to set yourself up with something you can sustain. cooking for my toddler, husband and my newborn when he gets a little older, 25g is not going to last a lifetime. even when i was gestational diabetic i got to eat carbs just a certain amount every meal i didn't count calories though so it was easier for me. also i have acanthosis nigricans which is showing me something is going on in my body.

*** BINGE TRIGGER WARNING - SPECIFIC FOOD CONTENT WARNING - PLEASE SKIP IF THIS BOTHERS YOU!!! ***

The Acanthosis Nigricans tells me that you are most likely insulin resistant (it's a huge sign of it) or another metabolic syndrome. As does your attitude towards sweets. And your belief that you won't be willing or able to succeed lower carb. None of these statements are judgments in any way. Just statements.

But, let me tell you know I this, because I used to be is so very like you. While I did not have gestational diabetes, I did have all kinds of hormonal craziness. At my heyday, I was eating king-sized candy bars as if 2-3 bars was a serving. Multiple times a day. I couldn't function without the influx of sugar. And no matter what, I wanted them. Even if I wasn't hungry. I used to bake. When I made banana bread, I didn't make one loaf, I made 8 or so, because a loaf was a serving to me. I'd buy double chocolate muffins, planning to eat one or half of one, and eat the entire package. I could eat nutella with spoon, and a tub or more in a sitting. I remember one time having 4-6 large jars in the pantry. My ex used to call it my liquid crack.

And it doesn't stop there... Pasta? 3-4 plates was nothing. At one point I ate almost 2 large pan pizzas by myself... anything I made, I made in quantity. double and triple batches of macaroni and cheese. After a time, the huge block of velveeta and an entire package or three of pasta. It might last 2 meals. A family size bag of chips could last 1-2 sittings. Chips and salsa - I used to buy the largest containers of eat and eat that for meals...

I could go on and on and on, but hopefully I've made my point.

I'm 5'4" tall, 39 years old, female. At my heaviest weight recorded at my doctor's office, I was 319 pounds (in 2010). I'm currently 249 pounds (I just had a gain of a few pounds after a setback). Eating lower carb (your level is finding what works for you) is possible, if terrifying at first. It can be maintainable and forever, and healthy for your kids (they don't need bread and sugary treats for health), etc. It just has to be reasonable AND maintainable, as you said.

Meat is not critical to eating lower carb, but it does help. Finding what vegetables do and don't affect you. For example, I'm thrilled to know that I can eat tomatoes without too much trouble, despite the fact they're higher carbs... I can eat potatoes once in a blue moon in small portion. Foods to not have to be gone forever unless we can't find a way to control ourselves around them.

When you eat this way, your taste buds change. I now really enjoy foods I used to completely hate - or eat things daily I would have never tolerated trying before. And I'm going to give you a small bit of tough love here. If the "medical issue" is enough to be labeled and acknowledged, it is already an issue. It is just not raging out of control screaming for medication or hospitalization, etc. I had to accept that denial I'd been using myself.

And just because you were allowed to have a certain amount of carbs while pregnant and having GD does not mean it was the most healthy thing for you. You seem to have found a decent amount of balance, though, ti have made it through, and that is wonderful.

I too, burned myself out on bacon and eggs. I'm finally back to eating eggs, but bacon has been on a 4 month or so hiatus from my diet. The key is to not think of how you have to get rid of things - but rather how you can tweak the things you already eat to make them healthier. It's not as impossible as it seems. And i know it does seem impossible.

It took me over 6 months, recommendations from my endocrinologist, not to mention my PCP who had already been asking me to cut carbs for years, to even warm up to the idea that this was possible, doable, and maintainable. And it is. I researched and asked a million questions. I got my head in the game. And then I tore through a huge box of chocolates I got on after Christmas clearance over three days and just hit a wall. I realized I didn't want to keep living like that. So I decided to change.

I still eat some junk, I still eat out. I still eat things I shouldn't. I still eat off my plan sometimes, but this is not a slow thing to change. This is real life, and crap happens. The biggest things I would say is love yourself, forgive yourself, ditch guilt, and make the better decisions whenever possible (not the best decision, because we all know that's not possible all the time - we live in reality - but a better decision as often as possible).

Listen to all the folks here. Pick different things to try. Start at 100 grams of carbs. Figure out what foods make you feel good and what doesn't. Decide if you want to drop some. Maybe drop to 90 grams of carbs the next month. Maybe not if you lose weight and feel good at 100 grams... Maybe you'll find you feel better lower. Or higher. Only you can tell. But try to make changes only once every 4 weeks so you can see what's really working. It's all about you and your journey. Accept that in having two very young children at home, you're going to have to use some convenience foods and batch cooking. Just make them the better ones you can find. I still eat pepperoni quite often. Is the processed stuff good for me? No, not at all, but it's better than all the old junk I used to eat... LOL

And work on changing how you think about dropping your carbs. Think about all the things you can do, you get to do, and you want to do again or eventually, like with your kids and hubby... Focus on where you're going, not where you've been, and your load will lighten. Dropping your carbs will give you more energy and make it easier to keep up with your bundles of joy!! Good luck and ask us all a million questions. Unlike what I've experience before here or elsewhere, this group is all about lifting each other up and helping others succeed, too! It's not a competition, and anyone attempting to help will work to keep your best goals in mind and give advice based that direction.

Good luck.

how you go from this to thinking i punked you..

I sincerely apologize. I am human, too, and apparently I got butthurt myself this morning (not because you didn't respond to my post, but just in general, I guess). I am not usually like that, and I hope my words do not dissuade you from staying with this group. They really are the most supportive folks out there.

I will not disrespect you by making excuses or providing "reasons." I'm bowing out of this thread for now until I can behave myself and act like ME again. Again, my sincerest of apologies.
  • KimR_1986
    KimR_1986 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You asked about how to do this with little ones, I have a 21 month old so I understand the initial trepidation. What I found works for me is to really feed everyone the same as me but add a more carby side they can choose like sweet potato at dinner or fruit to go with lunch.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @tashatashae I'm very sorry about the misunderstanding that happened. I know if you read through other posts in our group that you will see this is a unique situation where your responses gave off suspicious thoughts for @KnitOrMiss (at least that's what it seems happened) She is truly a very supportive and helpful member that is very understanding.
    I feel like you aren't aware of how the information you have given has given the appearance of going back and forth with "I want to go low carb, but this and but that..." And some of us have mentioned having this same thought process ourselves, so there's certainly no judgement in recognizing it and hoping to help you make a firm commitment. Success won't happen without it. I was hoping to offer some inspiration and hope that achieving control of the sugar binging habit can be life changing and wanted to share what I know to be true about how to get there. I don't want you to end up years down the road on a medically restrictive diet remembering that one time you "tried" low carb and how it "didn't work" for you. This scenario happens ALL THE TIME.
    Instead, you could be a couple years down the road, in good health and good physical condition from making a solid, committed start right now.

As far as things like tasting your kids food, your kids can eat everything you do. You will be eating real food. Food that's absolutely healthy in every way. Your kids don't need bread, pasta or sugar anymore than you do. I sincerely wish I had discovered this WOE when mine were little. Things would've been sooooo different! I could have salvaged a few more good years out of my Type 1 daughters failing beta cells, that's for sure! Now they are all teens and the T1D is 21 and all I hear is "But I like cookies. But I like Mac and cheese." I would've eliminated that stuff years ago when I had more influence over their developing understanding of how to eat. All I've been able to do now is not serve it at dinner or only serve them a small amount of their pasta side with more abundant non starchy veggies and meat. And when I make that stuff for them, I don't need to taste it. I just make it like always. But if I had to for some reason, I certainly wouldn't need more than the tiniest taste of the sauce without the noodles or rice to confirm seasonings or temperature or whatever.

Your husband is misinformed just like we all were at one point and just like the majority of the rest of the planet is. He means well, of course and I'm sure has genuine concern about this way of eating. But you can show him the truth of the matter as your health improves. I'd also suggest watching the movie Fat Head and looking for The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor on YouTube as well as Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Dr. Robert Lustig. You will learn the science behind why this way of eating is absolutely not unhealthy and would greatly improve the health of most of the world.

Anyway, I hope you reconsider. If you are ready for real advice that's helpful and straightforward coming from understanding people with the same previous issues, then you really are in the right place.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have to say that the advice in this thread has been great for anyone looking to decrease their carbs. Resistance to going full keto is normal. Fear of losing something you love and have a relationship with is tough. I wanted to be able to do it and still have some fruit every once in a while. I quickly learned that wasn't the best way for me. Once I lowered my carbs to 100 I began to feel good (overall sense of well being that I hadn't had since being much younger), and my fibromyalgia pain decreased. I decided that the 50 gm level may help more, and it did. I've been at an average of 10gm carbs a day since May and I'm in a wonderful place! I'm an RN who hasn't been able to physically tolerate working for ten years! I'm getting ready to return to work. This lchf/keto woe will be the way I eat the rest of my life. I don't want to ever go back to the way I was feeling and if what I put in my mouth makes the difference I will stick with it. I don't plan to ever add those foods I thought I loved back into my woe. They took my life, I'm not giving it back! Good luck to you, whatever you choose. Many people are successful at 100 though.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if the original poster is still around, but if you are reading, here's my take on a couple things.

First, I have THREE children ages 3, 2, and 1, and I work two jobs. Time is in very short supply, so I get it. I leave for work while the rest of the family is still sleeping and get home around 5:00. I realized recently that when I do not prepare food in advance, I have more difficulty staying on track, so this weekend I prepared a couple meals in their entirety, and throughout the week I added a couple slow cooker meals to cook overnight.

I've been doing low carb since February, not concerning myself with keto vs. not-keto. I really don't give two hoots whether or not I'm in ketosis. What I care about is how I feel during, after, and between meals. Everyone is different, but for me, eating more than 50g of carbs a day results in bloating, joint pain, and fatigue. I should point out that I have never had any health conditions or borderline/"pre" health conditions, so I truly did not expect to have such observable differences in how I felt eating different levels of carbs. I started by eliminating all grains and sweets, and I immediately noticed I could control my cravings much more easily. It's about finding what works for you though.

In regard to the kids, I give them what I'm eating plus sometimes a carb side dish. I don't feel the need to taste their food. Recently I've taken to rolling up slices of Turkey or chicken, slicing up some real cheese, and giving them pieces of fruit or veggies or some pain yogurt or unsweetened applesauce. Voila, a healthy and quick meal they will actually eat. They don't need the carb overload any more than we do.

Also I highly recommend to every parent the movie Fed Up. It's available on NetFlix.
  • Kellyss95
    Kellyss95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Really good advice on here ! If your looking to curb some sweet craving they have excellent low carb recipes on Pinterest as well as meals .
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good advice here. I'm new to this group but not to low carb as I've done a few low carb diets over the years. I had good success with the Dukan Diet previously when nothing else was working. At first it seemed too extreme (I LOVE carbs too) but I had prediabetes and really wanted to lose the weight. I'm now trying a more LCHF/keto approach based on the research I've read.
    I do think starting with 100gm/day is a good place to start, especially if that's a big change for you.
    Also, I have twins so I understand the challenges of trying to eat healthy while taking care of littles!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Oh and re the original question, on Dukan I was probably eating 70-90 gm carbs/day. Now I'm trying to stay under 20 gm net carbs/day. This was only the second day for me and I haven't made it quite that low yet but my total carbs have been under 50 and net carbs under 30 the past two days. It has actually been a lot easier than I expected. (My macros right now are set to 10% carbs, 60% fat and 30% protein.)