Blood work

Options
I really want to get for my blood work from 2 years ago to compare

Screenshot_2015_10_25_22_48_52.jpg

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my DH AIC dropped from .087 to .607 in 3 months and he doesn't have to go back for 6 months. If it continue to drops, they will consider reducing medication. YEAH!!!! Diabetes under control and hopefully on the run.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Excellent labs. Great HDL. LDL is too high. If you have DM or CHD consider a statin to try and get it below 70.

No.

LDL alone doesn't mean much. Of all the individual numbers, HDL and trigs are far better indicators, and ratios are better yet, and hers are pristine: m4uw8jc3lkv1.png

Additionally, the LDL is calculated, and with HDL that high and trigs that low, it's very likely that actually an inaccurate number (the calculation is known to break down at very low or very high level trigs).

Finally, LCHF is known to change the composition of the LDL particles, which increases the number on these tests, but doesn't actually mean there's an issue (it basically comes down to the fact that the test is asking the wrong question).

The following tests should be done before a doctor or patient even considers going on statins, especially when the patient is known to be on LCHF:

1. Direct measure of LDL levels (is the calculated number even right?)
    2. LDL particle size measurement (small dense, which are bad, or large fluffy, which are benign?)
    3. LDL particle count (is it a ton of little ones, or a handful of big ones? Latter is good, former is bad)

In other words, if she or her doctor are concerned about it, more tests need to be done to assess the risk, before medications are brought into the picture.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. That looks great! Don't change a thing. :)

If you get those old labs, post them. I'd love to see how they're change (improved).
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Screenshot_2015_10_26_10_44_08.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Screenshot_2015_10_26_10_44_08.jpg

Yep, your before and after numbers are consistent with what's common on LCHF. Increase in HDL, plus decrease in trigs indicates the LDL increase is likely due to size/density changes in the LDL particles, which is a good thing. :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Your results are consistent with low-carb diet effects.

If your doc is concerned about LDL, ask about getting a VAP or NMR. VAP should show that your LDL are the large fluffy type. NMR should show that your LDL particle count is in range.

If YOU're concerned about high LDL, how this works is kind of interesting.

High-carb causes the LDL particles to be loaded up with smaller fat droplets produced by DNL. Low-carb causes them to be loaded up with large fat droplets from digested fat. The size of the fat droplets determines the CONCENTRATION of LDL, but doesn't tell you anything about particle COUNT.

In terms of risk, one theory is that the smaller denser LDL particles are more likely to penetrate the arterial wall. Another is that only the particle count matters. Phinney and Volek like to say that triglycerides and HDL are the better risk markers, but my guess is that plaques are multifactorial.

IMO, high triglycrides and low HDL are a marker for insulin resistance, which seems to be one of the risk factors. Probably independent of LDL count, but that hasn't been determined AFAIK.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Additionally, the LDL is calculated, and with HDL that high and trigs that low, it's very likely that actually an inaccurate number (the calculation is known to break down at very low or very high level trigs).

The Iranian formula is supposed to be better when triglycerides are very low. Using that one with these numbers gives an LDL of 81.

These numbers aren't bad at all. I would never consider a statin with numbers these great.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Excellent labs. Great HDL. LDL is too high. If you have DM or CHD consider a statin to try and get it below 70.

No.

LDL alone doesn't mean much. Of all the individual numbers, HDL and trigs are far better indicators, and ratios are better yet, and hers are pristine: m4uw8jc3lkv1.png

Finally, LCHF is known to change the composition of the LDL particles, which increases the number on these tests, but doesn't actually mean there's an issue (it basically comes down to the fact that the test is asking the wrong question).

The following tests should be done before a doctor or patient even considers going on statins, especially when the patient is known to be on LCHF:

2. LDL particle size measurement (small dense, which are bad, or large fluffy, which are benign?)
    3. LDL particle count (is it a ton of little ones, or a handful of big ones? Latter is good, former is bad)

In other words, if she or her doctor are concerned about it, more tests need to be done to assess the risk, before medications are brought into the picture.

Do you have a link to this calculator? I'd love to plug my numbers in, too. My cholesterol is higher, but most of my other stats are quite similar.
  • Dragonwolf
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

No.

Do you have a link to this calculator? I'd love to plug my numbers in, too. My cholesterol is higher, but most of my other stats are quite similar.

http://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

One nice thing about it is that you only need three of the four numbers. If you don't enter trigs or LDL, it will calculate it (and it will do a calculation even if you enter in all of the numbers, which shows that the numbers will end up slightly different depending on which numbers are directly measured and which are calculated).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah, my total was 241, trigs 76, hdl 50, ldl was 176 calculated (158 with the iranian method), but if I set the ldl at 158, it changes my trigs to 160, which apparently makes everything normal, but with my trigs at 76, then I'm high risk in several categories. I've had the sizes checked 6 months ago, and all those risks were high/bad, too, but from what I recall of the discussions and research I could do (can't get Cholesterol Clarity where I am), during active weight loss, those total and LDL numbers don't mean as much...

Decided I'm not going to worry unless I had other symptoms. All other stats improved!
  • wabmester
    Options
    As a practicing physician I would offer any DM2 pt with a calculated LDL > 70 a statin. If I didn't, I could be liable for malpractice. Why not a statin? Consider it cheap insurance.

Uh oh. I think you just kicked a hornet's nest. :)
  • wabmester
    edited October 2015
    Options
    People are concerned about the side-effects of statins. And they're also concerned that they're treating the wrong thing.

The science supporting pushing LDL down below 70, or even below 100, isn't very strong.

FWIW, my doc recommended statins to me even though my cholesterol wasn't high. It's now a standard recommendation even if you have other risk factors. In my case, it was metabolic syndrome. All my risk markers went to normal after a few months of low carb.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Why not a statin? Consider it cheap insurance.

Cheap insurance? I hardly consider the side-effects of statins to be cheap especially when compared to the absolutely mediocre benefits they offer. What was it? For those at high risk, when 100 people take statins two of them will have a heart attack compared to three people in a group of the same 100 people not taking statins? All that benefit in exchange for the increased risk of diabetes (for those without it already), muscle damage, memory loss, liver damage, etc. On top of that, it's not even the cholesterol that is the problem. That's the symptom of an underlying issue. It's like trying to reduce fires in a city by reducing the number of firefighters (because you always find a lot of them near fires).

I don't doubt that you'll be held liable for malpractice, though. It's well established that big Pharma has more say in medicine than common sense. There are great books and resources investigating the cholesterol myths (Cholesterol Clarity is supposed to be good, I haven't read it though). I know there's a really interesting all-cause mortality graph posted where total cholesterol is graphed against all causes of deaths, and the mortality is lowest at levels considered "too high" by modern medicine (200-240 mg/dL).

http://highsteaks.com/cholesterol/

The above link has the graph and some more discussion. While this is one person's opinion, it's one that I tend to trust because he is very well versed on the research and science. He's basically written the book when it comes to studies on low carb diets.

I have seen lots of studies that show both sides, but I have found myself solidly on the anti-statin side. This is something my doctor is not fond of, because my cholesterol is "borderline" in her eyes (bounces around 190-210) and she wants to "watch it."
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As a practicing physician I would offer any DM2 pt with a calculated LDL > 70 a statin. If I didn't, I could be liable for malpractice. Why not a statin? Consider it cheap insurance.

I just completed 4 weeks of LCHF. It's in a lovely honeymoon. My FBS have gone below 90. Before from 120-140. My 2hBS are now below 105. Before 130-170. As a nice bonus, I've lost 7 lb.

I am not diabetic, nor prediabetic. I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism, and Medication Caused High Blood Pressure, among minor other things. My doctor wanted to talk about meds last time, but the ratios of my HDL and Trigs is outstanding, and more nad more research is showing that LDL is not the horror story it's said to be. If my PCP is still worried about this, I might opt for one of those $50 out of pocket heart screenings, just to get everyone off my case.

There would have to be some huge giant red flags far beyond what I've seen this far for me to worry about this in the slightest. While I'm busy burning tons of stored fat, the readings of total and "bad" cholesterols are not anywhere close to valid anyway. I'm not about to add another unnecessary medication with a laundry list of risks of side effects worse that what it could MAYBE help treat. I'm using this WOE/WOL to reduce all my medication needs, not add something as a maybe...

EDITED TO ADD:
    During the time I've been low carb, my fasting glucose has dropped from 92 MG/DL to 85 MG/DL, my A1C from 5.3% to 5.1%, my fasting glucose from a high of 9 uIU/mL to 5.8 uIU/mL. Additionally, ever other blood statistic I have had tested in this last year and before has improved...
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well... my numbers are good. I'm not diabetic or even prediabetic (i don't even know why that was brought up at all). I'm only 29 and would never even consider statins...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Well... my numbers are good. I'm not diabetic or even prediabetic (i don't even know why that was brought up at all). I'm only 29 and would never even consider statins...

Agreed. Nice changes over the last couple of years. Congrats. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I just completed 4 weeks of LCHF. It's in a lovely honeymoon. My FBS have gone below 90. Before from 120-140. My 2hBS are now below 105. Before 130-170. As a nice bonus, I've lost 7 lb.

@tsazani do you not have a concern in the above case of needlessly inducing risks of arteriosclerosis, cancer, liver damage, transient global amnesia, lowering level of CoQ10, etc by writing a statin Rx?