Processed meats rank alongside smoking as cancer causes – WHO

Options
13»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Interesting. These comments are of the "but I like my carbs" variety that I read elsewhere on MFP. There have been indications for years about processed meats and caramelizing food (meat). If you like "your bacon", don't stop eating it, but consider doing a colonoscopy every 5 years, especially if there were colon cancer occurrences in your family history.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This is laying the ground work for government regulations. I find it interesting that the study was totally bias and took nothing else that could be contributing factors.
    This is from the same establishment scientists that gave us the current food paridime. Why would we trust any thing they say they got the whole CICO thing wrong. Even with evidence that says they are wrong they still ignore the science and double down on eat less do more is the only way to loose weight.

The study wasn't aimed at "weight loss"
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing that cancer cells form and die pretty much every day.

Also would like recommendations on what K2 product to get. I try to get good sunshine on my off days but also take some extra D (lol
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What about the other K vitamins?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @monikker I use the Super K complex below and take it 2x daily because the short 4 hour half life of K2- type 4. Google the subject and read up before you make any decision. I pay $15-$30 per bottle. You should find 30 days of reading. The last order was $17 a bottle.

lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01834/super-k-with-advanced-k2-complex
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    Interesting. These comments are of the "but I like my carbs" variety that I read elsewhere on MFP. There have been indications for years about processed meats and caramelizing food (meat). If you like "your bacon", don't stop eating it, but consider doing a colonoscopy every 5 years, especially if there were colon cancer occurrences in your family history.

Agreed! Even if you like your bacon, you might choose to eat less of it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    I remember hearing that cancer cells form and die pretty much every day.

Also would like recommendations on what K2 product to get. I try to get good sunshine on my off days but also take some extra D (lol

I'm a fan of Green Pastures' Fermented Cod Liver Oil and High Vitamin Butter Oil blend. It's got the active forms of Vitamins A, D, and K2 in the right balance to be useful without having to worry too much about overdose on any one of them.
    monikker wrote: »
    What about the other K vitamins?

K1 is the only other known K vitamin and it's in pretty much everything in spades, especially if you eat leafy greens at all (seriously, how often does the 10th item of a top 10 list have nearly 250% the RDV of a vitamin?). K2 is the more rare one, found most abundantly in natto (a nasty fermented soy food; seriously, it doesn't even look appealing), follow by grass fed dairy and beef, then chicken and chicken liver, of the known source (Chris Kresser mentions a few other possible sources, but numbers haven't been measured for them, as I understand it).
    lodro wrote: »

The primary problem with the headline is that the categorization system is all but meaningless. There is exactly one item in either of the "doesn't cause cancer" categories, and everything else is thrown into the other ones. It literally basically says, "yeah, everything may or may not cause cancer, these things have some stronger evidence of being more causative."

It says exactly zero about the actual risk, just that there is risk. It's the equivalent of saying that you have an increased risk of dying if you travel by a car or plane. Well, yeah, you do...technically...but there's zero indication of what that actual risk is. Even saying you're 200% more likely to die doesn't mean anything without the reference number. 200% of 1 in 100,000 is...wait for it...2 in 100,000.

It's a misplaced fear in this situation, because eating processed meat increases your risk of colorectal cancer by a whopping 18%. The rate of colorectal cancer is 42.4 per 100,000 and dropping. So...an 18% increase puts it at 50 per 100,000.

To compare, the breast cancer rate is 1 in 8 for women, and 1 in 1,000 for men. That's right, even men are far more likely to get breast cancer. Prostate cancer's rate is 137.9 per 100,000.

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/who-does-bacon-cause-cancer-sort-of-but-not-really/
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I endorse pork belly instead of bacon. Mostly because it blew my mind with the tasty.

Also, that "Nitrite-Free Bacon" has an asterisk. Ever read up on it? "* Except for those nitrites naturally occurring in celery..."

Which, according to one article that I believe someone here linked me to, the process of preserving with celery nitrites actually results in MORE nitrites.

So yeah. Pork Belly. Maybe if we all start asking our butchers for it, it won't be so (*!$&(! hard to find!

Ask for pastured pork while you're at it. I really wish I didn't know what condition our pork pigs are kept in here. :\
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I recently asked my local grocery store about pork belly (Reasor's, for all you Okies out there). They don't keep it on hand, but they offered to order it for me. Haven't had much luck at butcher shops/slaughter houses, as they typically make their own bacon and, thus, use the pork belly themselves. Just a thought for anyone having trouble finding it--those stores that don't butcher whole hogs, but get the loins and such to chop up themselves should be able to order it for you. Of course, able to and willing to are not always the same thing...