Options

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Tha
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    ar9179 wrote: »
    Totally agree. This has been a years long issue with me. I stretch all of the time, but STILL have tight chest muscles. My chiropractor reminds me about the stretches every time I see him for an issue between my shoulder blades...something I have to address this week, again.

I went to yoga today. Felt really tight after lazing around all weekend.

Just a tip... try lying with a yoga mat rolled up vertically under your spine so that the mat and you spine are parallel, and your arms are in a cactus position. If you can do this 5-10 minutes a day it's a great stretch for your pecs and will also help with upper back pain (particularly behind the shoulder blades).

That sounds like it would hurt and feel so good all at the same time! I'm going to try it right now.
    Thanks so much!
  • ar9179
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Holy crap! That's an intense stretch!

I could feel the knot on my shoulder blade pop several times. Couldn't get my arms to the floor, at first. And man, my chest muscles are a mess. I started with bent knees, but was able to stretch my legs out toward the end. Then, my elderly German Shepherd came to investigate and stomped all over my legs after sniffing me all over!

Despite her TLC, I feel so much better! Can't thank you enough because I've been pretty uncomfortable for the last couple of hours. I never feel awesome the day after a chiro visit.

Edit : Oh yeah, work out today was

Squat 5x5 125 lbs

OHP 5x5 60 lbs

Deadlift 1x5 175 lbs

I rowed a bit prior to lifting and did my usual warm-up lifts prior to working weights.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! That's an intense stretch!

i'm afraid to try it :D the rec centre has these half-foamies that are obviously intended for things like that, and i can already imagine how good for me it would be. it's just that NOTHING hurts quite like that stuff where your ribs are attached to your spine. i know it's good for me but it kind of terrifies me.

guess i can't get out of it by saying i need one hand to hold my book the whole time?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Tha
    Totally agree. This has been a years long issue with me. I stretch all of the time, but STILL have tight chest muscles. My chiropractor reminds me about the stretches every time I see him for an issue between my shoulder blades...something I have to address this week, again.

Just a tip... try lying with a yoga mat rolled up vertically under your spine so that the mat and you spine are parallel, and your arms are in a cactus position. If you can do this 5-10 minutes a day it's a great stretch for your pecs and will also help with upper back pain (particularly behind the shoulder blades).

That sounds like it would hurt and feel so good all at the same time! I'm going to try it right now.
    Thanks so much!

Sounded like something I wanted to do. So I am lazy and started with the foam roller and was like "uhm, okay, any time now, can I feel the stretch?" tried to get my arms in different positions, head on and off the roller... Figured maybe it was too big, so i did roll up my yoga mat... Same story. It's kinda comfy tho. Maybe I should sleep like that. But as far as stretching goes? Nothing.

I must be doing it wrong? Any video reference?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

seems like we've had some of the same shoulder *kitten* going on. so no video references, but i can try to explain my experience with stretching pecs.

i have to focus and sort of fiddle around a bit to get my shoulder capsule out of the way of the stretch. how to explain. it's like when i set out to do it, my body wants to respond by rolling my collarbones forward and up, which basically moves into the stretch and takes it away from the pecs. then all that's left is my shoulder joint 'collapses' forwards and the humerus goes back. for me it's more about doing the sternum lift than it is about where i position my upper arm. and pinching the shoulderblades, to some extent. aagh. i don't think this is making much sense.

um, i also just lie on my back and isolate a section of pec near where it inserts into my humerus, and do a kind of stripping movement on it? you pinch the front edge of your armpit, basically. and then you row the humerus and the shoulder capsule backwards and away from the point that you've isolated.

i am also here to tell you people that there are trigger points on your sternum, along about where the pecs are attached, which . . . if you manage to find one of them it goes straight through your rib-cage like a railway spike, and hits exactly its opposite point on your upper back. that's a pretty serious Thing, i can tell you.
  • ar9179
    Options
    Tha

Thanks so much!

Sounded like something I wanted to do. So I am lazy and started with the foam roller and was like "uhm, okay, any time now, can I feel the stretch?" tried to get my arms in different positions, head on and off the roller... Figured maybe it was too big, so i did roll up my yoga mat... Same story. It's kinda comfy tho. Maybe I should sleep like that. But as far as stretching goes? Nothing.

I imagine that you're much more flexible in that area than I am, and/or already practice correct posture. I could hardly breathe at the beginning so I'm all kinds of screwed up.

I googled and saw one site recommend the mat be placed horizontal for a more intense stretch. I don't know the details, though.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    tl;dr for what i said above ^^^^ for me it's really all about manipulating the angle of your humerus relative to the shoulder socket and maybe the front of the ribcage as well.

so, a lot more than just 'arms out'
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tonight's session:
    Leg press 3x12 10kg
    DL 3x12 50 kg 2x5 60 kg 1x2 70kg YES lifted over body weight
    Front squat 3x12 30kg 2x8 32.5 kg couldn't find 2.5 kg plates
    Bench 3x12 30 kg
    Lat Pulldown 3x12 33kg
    Seated row 3x12 33 kg
    Skullcrusher 3x12kg 6kg
    Preacher curl 3x12 12.5kg
    Leg extensions 3x12 12.5kg single leg
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    Tonight's session:
    Leg press 3x12 10kg
    DL 3x12 50 kg 2x5 60 kg 1x2 70kg YES lifted over body weight
    Front squat 3x12 30kg 2x8 32.5 kg couldn't find 2.5 kg plates
    Bench 3x12 30 kg
    Lat Pulldown 3x12 33kg
    Seated row 3x12 33 kg
    Skullcrusher 3x12kg 6kg
    Preacher curl 3x12 12.5kg
    Leg extensions 3x12 12.5kg single leg

Oh well done!!! I can't wait until I can report the same thing!!! Good work :smiley:
  • krokador
    Options
    Tha

Thanks so much!

I imagine that you're much more flexible in that area than I am, and/or already practice correct posture. I could hardly breathe at the beginning so I'm all kinds of screwed up.

I googled and saw one site recommend the mat be placed horizontal for a more intense stretch. I don't know the details, though.

Oh, I love doing the one where I have the roller sitting just below my shoulder blades, butt is on the ground and arms are overhead and I try to sink into it more with every breath. I always get a few nice pops of the t-spine when doing that, on top of the stretch I feel on my back. Doesn't really hit the pecs at all for me, tho.
    tl;dr for what i said above ^^^^ for me it's really all about manipulating the angle of your humerus relative to the shoulder socket and maybe the front of the ribcage as well.

so, a lot more than just 'arms out'

Yep, hafta do that to get to the pec too. And the back of my shoulder when doing the "sleeper" stretch (bringing arm over in front of neck). Kind of a roll down shoulder blade and engage trap type of motion to stablize the shoulder. Otherwise what I "stretch" is the bone out of my shoulder capsule, which is not good (and not very effective because I have a lot of ROM that way)
  • krokador
    Options
    Starting to hit a wall here with progress, as is to be expected on a caloric deficit, but it IS a little frustrating after I have been making tons of gains for a while.

Bench 122.5x4/3/4/4/3
    No roll of shame this time, but man was that bar feeling heavy!

3 rounds of 45s work/15s rest on each
    - double kb clean and press 11/10/11
    - spider push-up x10, regular push-up x11/10
    - bulgarian split squat (each side) 13/15/15
    - suspended plank knee tucks x9 / suspended plank 30s / 40s

6 rounds tabatas
    - bottom half burpee: 25 total
    - sit-outs: 29 per side (58 total)

Not worse than a week ago, all things considered, but not better, either. I have this spasm in my right leg right now that is making me walk funny :| Can't wait to get home and use the foam roller!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Dunno what was going on today, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Squats 3x5 60kg
    Bench 5,5,4 40kg
    Rows 3x5 40kg (was supposed to be doing 45kg, but was tired and disappointed from bench so just did 40kg and made sure I was pulling all the way to the top)

I posted a form check video in the "Eat, Train, Progress" group - would appreciate you ladies having a look too, so I'm going to post it into this group's form check too :)

Thankies
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Tha

Thanks so much!

dsc_0100.jpg
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I made myself lift last night! I didn't get up and do my cardio today, but maybe this evening I'll do it. Or maybe not.

I made the decision to drop squats and OHP to 3x5 instead of 5x5. I was feeling burned out on it and starting to dread it and I don't want to quit!

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x85, 3x5x125
    OHP: 2x5x45, 3x5x80
    Dead: 1x5x150 (this be gettin' hard)

I'm going to lift in the morning and see how the bench/rows are feeling. So far I haven't struggled with them so I think they'll stay 5x5 for now :)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA with stronglifts for over a week. Work caught up with me and had to do 12 hour days. I finally got a run in today and managed 5 miles. Yay me! Next run is on Sunday for another 5. I'm not sure when I'll get back to SL since next week is Thanksgiving and my gym may be closed.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was lifting at home tonight with my husband and he failed to spot me on my squat when I'm repeating a weight he had to rescue me from a couple of days ago. I blew my stack and stormed out. Then I locked myself in the bathroom and had a long cry in the shower.

So work out aborted. I'm going to get up early tomorrow and do workout A by myself, just at reduced weights because we don't have safeties and so I will have to do something I won't fail at.

Which apparently I'll have to do all the f'in time now anyway because he can't be bothered to be a decent lifting partner.

Maybe I should sell the rack and go back to a gym. At least if I fail there I won't be found dead and blue under the barbell the morning after.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    for all my whining and moping this week, trainer friday went really well.

i got 57.5 for ohp [YEAH!!!] and more importantly my form seems to be better again. these weren't easy, hell no. but i got 2x5 and then 1x6.

and for squats, 85 with no problems. i had him specifically watch me for form failures all the way through, especially for chest drop and butt wink. he said i was looking fine, finding depth and being very consistent as well. they felt good too.

and then 3x2 negative chins with pronated palms. for a better hit on my back and rear shoulders. they were def harder than the other way round, so glad i did them.

also i stopped at the rec centre on the way home and did another 3x5 squats with 95, just to consolidate the feel of that form with higher weight. couldn't have done a full 5x5, but it did feel less foldy and taco-ish than my earlier ones at that weight, so happy. added some extra ohp sets at various weights to make up volume, as well.
  • krokador
    edited November 2015
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    I was lifting at home tonight with my husband and he failed to spot me on my squat when I'm repeating a weight he had to rescue me from a couple of days ago. I blew my stack and stormed out. Then I locked myself in the bathroom and had a long cry in the shower.

So work out aborted. I'm going to get up early tomorrow and do workout A by myself, just at reduced weights because we don't have safeties and so I will have to do something I won't fail at.

Which apparently I'll have to do all the f'in time now anyway because he can't be bothered to be a decent lifting partner.

Maybe I should sell the rack and go back to a gym. At least if I fail there I won't be found dead and blue under the barbell the morning after.

What kind of rack do you have? Maybe you could improvise safeties around it? The squat is a tough lift to spot, especially when only one person to do it. If you have holes for the pegs, they have safety hooks that can fit in that are basically J-hooks but with a longer surface. I have used them for gearing up my bar for deadlifts before, they are pretty sturdy and I doubt you would have to pay a lot for them.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Spotter-power-tubes-bench-safety/dp/B00TZHCQGU

Also wow, stretchy page. Dunno if that is due to the new forum update not resizing pics properly anjymore or what, but geez, much scrolling. Can we get to the next page yet? (And yes, that's how I tried it. My shoulder blades touch the ground if I only use a towel/yoga mat. It's a bit more of a stretch on the roller, but I think what I need is a deep tissue massage between the shoulder blades haha. I have a gift certificate to this place that is more of a beauty salon but they do offer massages so I should check out what kind haha. Anything relaxing would also be good.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Weather here is horrible.... Perfect reason to get to the gym instead! It was reasonably quiet so no need to wait for kit

SQ 5X5 @52.5kg was intending staying at 50kg again this time but felt good so upped the weight and did ok. Will stick with this weight next time but as my November goal was to get 50kg. I am more than pleased.
    OHP 5/3/3 @30KG then 2X5@25KG. I seem to have a mental block using the Olympic bar for these so have reverted to the barbell. But that means no fractional plates and 5kg is a big jump. I will persevere.
    DL 1X5@ 62.5kg again beating my November goal. Then did 2x12@45kg to work on grip and try one hand over one hand under. I've broken both thumbs in the past so my grip is rubbish.

Then lat pull downs...33kg and 40kg. Lunges with 25kg barbell, bridges and crunches with 10kg plate, shoulder presses with 10kg dumbells and some press ups.

A good hour well spent!

Also....Whilst my weight is unchanged, my body fat is down from 33% to 28.8% and my water up from a poor 38% to a much better 52%.

Happy days :)
  • krokador
    Options
    Skwats!! Still working my way back up. Wasn't even sure I would go in and do them today. My right leg has been bothering me a bit. But once warmed up I felt fine so went HAM at it
    165x3x5 felt pretty good, so I decided to up the ante a bit and get my body handling some weight again
    195x1 wasn,t too much of a grinder but I came up off my heels on the way up
    I guess I was thinking too hard about that on the subsequent attempt because, while i thought I had it, I just got stuck coming out of the hole and decided not to fight it.
    If you follow me on instagram, I posted it for the lulz (username: krokador)

10 min AMRAP with 2x20lbs KB
    - Double kettlebell swing snatches x5
    - single goblet style side step-ups x5/leg
    - split stance double kb piston rows (alt arms without stopping) x10/arm

Managed I think 5 rounds and 5 step-ups, then finished the round to even out the split stance leg haha

Another 10 min AMRAP
    - 20kg KB wide sumo deadlift x20, 15, 10, 5, 10, 15
    - wall walks x2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 1

My shoulders were shot after this!

Finished off with supersets of
    - EZ bar skullcrusher
    - ez bar close grip bench press
    - ez bar curls

30x15, 35x2x12, 40x12

And some close grip lat pulldowns, with static holds at the start - mthis is great for engaging the lower traps into the movement. I need all the shoulder stabilization I can get!
    55x12(20s hold), 70x12(15s hold), 85x10(10s hold), 90x8 and 90x9