No-Gain November Week 1 Check-In (11/2-11/8)

Options

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Well I sure fit the theme here, if not for the same reason. I'll unload a little here, hope its ok. I currently live with my mom and sister. I moved back home a number of years ago to help take care of my dad, who had cancer. He passed away about 2 years ago after an extremely long, slow decline. Its time to get back out on my own and living my own life. Hell, its long past time for that, but sometimes you can't fully control things, so that's ok :)

My first year and a half on keto were easy, the last 4 months have been anything but. I'm very much in a "ready to get the heck out of here" state, so I'm antsy. My mom is bipolar, and a poorly managed diabetic, and about 10 other things that would just be too much to try to go into. Part of the reason that keto was easy for the first year was that mom didn't ever feel like doing anything, so I had full control over the kitchen. I did almost all the cooking, so things were reliable, and I lost a ton of weight.

The past couple months, mom has wanted to cook more. She buys stuff and takes it out of the freezer... sometimes makes food, sometimes doesn't. If I go around her and cook, she gets upset, even angry sometimes (bipolar + LOTS of other problems, we are not talking about a rational person here). If she doesn't take out any food, then I'll cook, and lately there have been a lot of complaints about how I keep things simple and rotate through the same foods with some frequency, so even that has become immensely frustrating. Its just all a giant mess. Huge amounts of stress, at 5pm most nights I have no idea if there is going to be something to eat for dinner or not, and figuring out the answer every single night involves an absurd amount of stress and tip-toeing around the issue every single time.

Many times I've felt like just giving up until I move and just eating whatever I want and starting over from wherever I happen to be at. I have so far avoided falling into that trap completely, but I don't expect anything about this situation to improve until I move out in january'ish. Holidays bring out much, much worse than I'm describing here typically in my family.

I feel like a 13 year old complaining about my mom like this ;) But anyway, that explains my goals for the rest of the year:

1. Get out of 2015 weighing 275 or below (274 right now).
    2. Limit cheating as much as is reasonable - but no beating myself up when it happens. Try very hard not to cheat two days in a row.
    3. Continue to go to the gym regularly.

I think that's it. Cannot wait to get the hell out of this house. Its been too darn long.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm in! For real this time :D

I've been hovering around the same 2kg for the past 4 months and I do need to get back to basics to finish this year strong. And I plan to have a fantastically delicious KETO Christmas.

Current weight: 81.8kg
    Goal weight : 79.6 which will be 10kg lost.

Strategy
    1. East less than 25 net carbs per day. I will increase that to 50 for the week between Christmas and New Year
    2. Weight training 4 times a week
    3. Walk 20km per week
    4. Eat less than 1600cals of real food every day.
    5. Prepare prepare prepare!

The last one will be particularly useful because I'll be going back to work this month and traveling again. I'm even prepared to carry my food scale with me :).
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Nov 2

1. Pre-plan daily meals Yes; however added sunflower seeds in the evening; not the best plan... I will be feeding to the birds today
    2. Stay within calorie limit Went over due to seeds
    3. Stick to workout plan: Yes; never a problem, I have been working out for over 20 years
    4. Journal each day: Yes

Goal for today Nov 3: egg fast and bone broth

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, I lost a bunch of weight from November to January. Last year, I got married and ate horribly for the honeymoon. I put on a little. But, it came off pretty quick. This year, I got an early jump on horrible stress eating, so we'll take some weight off.

It's interesting to see the pattern. But, I don't know if it means too much for me. I don't get tempted by most holiday foods.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    November is a tough month so planning is the key. My goals for the month are:
    1. Keep carbs under 20 g and cals under 1200
    2. keep an honest log
    3. complete the 28 day squat challenge
    4. Plan meals
    5. I hope to lose 5 lbs

November 1 and 2 are finished and successful. So far, so good
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    11/2
    1. Stay under 30 net most days- check
    2. Meal planning for each day-check
    3. Pay more attention to hydration-check
    4. Get in some physical activity daily. Start a bodyweight routine and work on decluttering my house.-nope
    5. Read daily-check
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    Well I sure fit the theme here, if not for the same reason. I'll unload a little here, hope its ok. I currently live with my mom and sister. I moved back home a number of years ago to help take care of my dad, who had cancer. He passed away about 2 years ago after an extremely long, slow decline. Its time to get back out on my own and living my own life. Hell, its long past time for that, but sometimes you can't fully control things, so that's ok :)

My first year and a half on keto were easy, the last 4 months have been anything but. I'm very much in a "ready to get the heck out of here" state, so I'm antsy. My mom is bipolar, and a poorly managed diabetic, and about 10 other things that would just be too much to try to go into. Part of the reason that keto was easy for the first year was that mom didn't ever feel like doing anything, so I had full control over the kitchen. I did almost all the cooking, so things were reliable, and I lost a ton of weight.

The past couple months, mom has wanted to cook more. She buys stuff and takes it out of the freezer... sometimes makes food, sometimes doesn't. If I go around her and cook, she gets upset, even angry sometimes (bipolar + LOTS of other problems, we are not talking about a rational person here). If she doesn't take out any food, then I'll cook, and lately there have been a lot of complaints about how I keep things simple and rotate through the same foods with some frequency, so even that has become immensely frustrating. Its just all a giant mess. Huge amounts of stress, at 5pm most nights I have no idea if there is going to be something to eat for dinner or not, and figuring out the answer every single night involves an absurd amount of stress and tip-toeing around the issue every single time.

Many times I've felt like just giving up until I move and just eating whatever I want and starting over from wherever I happen to be at. I have so far avoided falling into that trap completely, but I don't expect anything about this situation to improve until I move out in january'ish. Holidays bring out much, much worse than I'm describing here typically in my family.

I feel like a 13 year old complaining about my mom like this ;) But anyway, that explains my goals for the rest of the year:

1. Get out of 2015 weighing 275 or below (274 right now).
    2. Limit cheating as much as is reasonable - but no beating myself up when it happens. Try very hard not to cheat two days in a row.
    3. Continue to go to the gym regularly.

I think that's it. Cannot wait to get the hell out of this house. Its been too darn long.

That would drive me bats. Such a difficult situation. :confounded:

You might try batch cooking one day a week when she isn't in the kitchen. Lots of people cook a bunch and then have the leftovers available to them when ever they need. That way you'd have on-plan things available sometimes for you when she falls through. Or you could batch cook things for her to warm up. Just an option. I'm unsure of how practical it will be in your situation, but I thought I'd offer it.

My kids complain because it's either chicken or beef or pork chops with veggies. They are seasoned well, cooked in bacon fat and delicious. But they are picky little stinks. I make them a carby side sometimes to go with it and sometimes I'll make them a favorite casserole, just separate out my "boring" meat and veggies, which need to be cooked first before compiling the dish, before adding the carby sauce and rice. It's a pain, but doable.

I hope things get better for you soon. I know I'd feel the same if I lived with my parents. I love them, and they are lovely to visit, but they are just too cranky to live with. And that would make me cranky.

FIT_Goat wrote: »
    My friend and I are doing c25k for the month of November (and afterwards also). I'm aiming for MWF for the days I run. Completed week 1, day 1 just now. I'm also going to focus on dealing with stress in healthy ways and not turning to eating crap. The recent months have really highlighted how much of a stress eater I can be. Some things have improved, but not everything.

Life isn't going to stop throwing stressful stuff at us, is it? I have reminded myself that all the way, so I'd have it knocked into my head when I get into maintenance. Yesterday was so darn stressful. Hubby was enraged over work and some website he ordered something from, the kids were insane, and I just about ripped my hair out. I had a breakdown and then just breathed and did my workout. I didn't dive headfirst into anything. I managed to even go without my tea before bed.

It's very clear to me that I will always have issues with certain foods and that will not just magically go away when I'm goal weight. I'll probably spend a lot of the rest of my life logging food as well because "eat to fullness" for me is A LOT of food. Too much to keep me maintaining weight. There's faulty wiring in there somewhere. A design flaw I just have to deal with. Maintenance isn't some perfect magic fairyland. We often think of it that way, but we do ourselves a disservice employing such thinking. It is not a utopia. It's life, and *kitten* hits the fan and will always occasionally do so. Flaws will continue to be flaws to be dealt with. So not a fairytale wonderland. But life can be good nonetheless.

Good luck grappling with the stress. We can change a lot of things, but some of life's stresses we just can't avoid. And we can change a lot of things about ourselves, but some things we won't be able to fix. Unfortunately, we will always be a "work in progress." But it isn't insurmountable.
    And don't get me started on the stress/problems with those people we can't change...OY!

You know what the problem is at least. You've got a handle on this. Hang in there.

• LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    SW: 145 (I think, we moved and I haven't yet unpacked my scale)
    GW: 138 (For November, then still 10 to go)

Today: 145.6 :-/

1. Log Daily (yes)
    2. Stay under 15 g carbs 5 days a week (Nope, I had 27 gross....my husband brought home boneless buffalo wings....they were delicious....but not 12 carbs delicious. The red wine I followed them with I don't regret)
    3. Stay under 50 g carbs 2 days a week (those days are yet to come)
    4. Get my carbs from veggies, not booze (Nope. See red wine above. But I DID eat some broccoli with lunch.)
    5. Get 6000 steps a day 5 days a week (Nope. Only hit 5000)
    6. Get 12000 steps a day 2 days a week (still to come)
    7. Drink more water (I drank more...but not enough still)
    8. Cook low carb and family friendly meals at least 5 days a week. (Nope. See boneless comment above)

So my first day was pretty sucky on my goals.
    I do like this checking in. It keeps me accountable daily.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    11/2 summary -

Logged Food: :)
    Exercise as Planned?: No
    At or Under Carb Level: 20/20g net :)
    At or Under Calorie Limit: Great:)
    Planned Day Ahead: Yup got today covered:)

FYI - I second Baconslave's advice to Radii - "You might try batch cooking one day a week when she isn't in the kitchen". This works for anyone on a diet and trying to keep on track. The temptations come when there is no plan. My favorite plan is early Saturday morning shopping (no one is there, people around my neighborhood sleep in on the weekend), Sunday morning is a cook fest at my house. I try to get all my lunches ready for work. Dinners all weighed, portioned out and put in the freezer for the week. It is much less stressful, just one less thing to think about, and easier to keep to the plan.
  • baconslave
    Options

Start weight: 153.4 (weight is up due to salty nuts, bacon, and sausage balls)
    Current weight: 153.2
    Goal weight: 150 and to stay there.

Monday, 11/2:

Water: 80/80oz check.jpg
    Electrolytes Good: check.jpg
    Logged Food: check.jpg
    Exercise as Planned?: 20min HIIT session 45/15 check.jpg
    At or Under Carb Level: 17/30g net check.jpg
    At or Under Calorie Limit: 19 calories too many. Oh well... :-1:
    Planned Day Ahead: Yes! check.jpg

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Beginning weight: 145.2 (that's 11/2's weight.. Nov 1's was a dehydrated fluke)

Sunday, 11/1:
    (0) Carbs: 35/30g - Whoops! Put more food in front of me than I needed, ate it anyway.
    +1 Logged Food
    +1 Weigh-in: 143.6 (dehydrated)
    +1 Exercise: Parking Far Away, Foundation Poses
    (0) Steps: 4,275 / 5,000
    +1 Water: 130/80oz
    (0) Skip the carby options
    Drumsticks Earned: 4/7

Monday, 11/2:
    +1 Carbs: 16/30g
    +1 Logged Food
    +1 Weigh-in: 145.2
    (0) Steps: 3,769 / 5,000
    +1 Water: 127/80oz
    (0) Skip the carby options - nope, actually I ate a handful of Frito's corn chips that my husband was having. Womp womp. I asked him not to let me have the first chip in the future. ;)
    Drumsticks Earned: 5/7

Holiday Drumsticks of November:
    holiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.png
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    November goals:

1) 50 grams of carb or below
    2) Exercise 3x / week
    3) No sugar or sugar substitutes
    4) Log food daily
    5) Check in here on Mondays.

Current Weight 255
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've maintained my goals of 20gm carbs, 1600 calories. I've been able to get enough sodium in and haven't had any leg cramps since waking on the first. Using the salt tablets and take them throughout the day. I'm knocking on wood too. Those leg cramps can be bad enough to make the muscle sore for a few days!

I have been logging my food, just don't always post it.

Keep it up! We can all succeed together!! :smiley:
  • baconslave
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Beginning weight: 145.2 (that's 11/2's weight.. Nov 1's was a dehydrated fluke)

Sunday, 11/1:
    (0) Carbs: 35/30g - Whoops! Put more food in front of me than I needed, ate it anyway.
    +1 Logged Food
    +1 Weigh-in: 143.6 (dehydrated)
    (0) Steps: 4,275 / 5,000
    +1 Water: 130/80oz
    (0) Skip the carby options
    Drumsticks Earned: 4/7

Monday, 11/2:
    +1 Carbs: 16/30g
    +1 Logged Food
    +1 Weigh-in: 145.2
    (0) Steps: 3,769 / 5,000
    +1 Water: 127/80oz
    (0) Skip the carby options - nope, actually I ate a handful of Frito's corn chips that my husband was having. Womp womp. I asked him not to let me have the first chip in the future. ;)
    Drumsticks Earned: 5/7

Holiday Drumsticks of November:
    holiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.pngholiday-drumstick.png

Cute drumsticks. I think I'll thief them. :tongue:
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm so in!

Let's see...

CW: 159.2 (11/02/15)
    GW: 155 (by 1/01/16)

November Goals:
    • Review basics and get back to following more carefully
    • 10,000 steps per day (work days); 5,000 steps per day (weekend)
    • Keep at around 40 net carbs per day
    • Log Food Daily
    • Additional exercise at least 3 times a week (yoga, weight lifting, biking)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I hope it's OK if I join! I've done various low-carb diets in the past; Dukan is what I've had most success with but since reading more research recently I'm doing more the LCHF direction. (I have PCOS and previously had prediabetes and high triglycerides, which I reversed on Dukan.) Trying what I guess is keto now.

Monthly Goals:
    * Stay under 20gm net carbs daily (experimenting; might increase this is a bit)
    * Hopefully lose at least 1lb/wk. Two would be great. I'd have to lose 8 to hit my Transformer DietBet goal for this month since I bombed month 2.
    * Exercise at least 3x/wk and start incorporating more HIIT and strength training
    * Run 5K Thanksgiving morning

Start weight:
    150.6 as of 11/1
    147.8 this morning
  • baconslave
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I hope it's OK if I join!
    Absolutely :+1:

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    You might try batch cooking one day a week when she isn't in the kitchen. Lots of people cook a bunch and then have the leftovers available to them when ever they need. That way you'd have on-plan things available sometimes for you when she falls through. Or you could batch cook things for her to warm up. Just an option. I'm unsure of how practical it will be in your situation, but I thought I'd offer it.

Thanks, this is a good idea, and one I haven't really considered yet even though I see others talk about it here regularly. Perhaps next Sunday I will take my laptop to the kitchen to stream the day's NFL games and cook for the week!
    I hope things get better for you soon. I know I'd feel the same if I lived with my parents. I love them, and they are lovely to visit, but they are just too cranky to live with.

Things will get better soon. The move is very close to set in stone. When I moved back here it was really what I needed at the time for myself, I was divorced and extremely unhappy in my job, in addition to wanting to help take care of dad so the family didn't have to consider a home for him. I'm really glad I did it, but really glad to move on too :)

Thanks!

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Cute drumsticks. I think I'll thief them. :tongue:

Help yourself! I made them from public use and hosted them on my web server!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/3

My goals are to eat under 50 g net carbs - done
    Stay under my calorie goal - not today
    Actually take two recovery days each week - not so far
    Exercise at least 180 minutes a week, but not too much more - on track