Cutting sugar from kids' diets improves health in just days

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of something from when I was a child. Some 35 years ago. I used to get dark circles under my eyes and horrible nasty behaviour, what I suppose these days would now be diagnosed as ADHD and treated with kiddie meth. My family doctor back then (little country town), told my mum to take me off all sugar. No lollies, no soft drink, no icecream etc. The change was immediate, I was calm and normal within days. I remember feeling a bit put out about it, but I'm sure my mum is grateful to the doctor for figuring it out.

There was a day when writing a Rx for every condition was not done. Your health risks were lowered by you mum listening to the doc. In the USA the pool of young people that can serve in the military had decreased because kids that have been on some of the ADHD Rx meds prevents them from medically qualifying to serve.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh yay, mayonnaise recipes! My one and only attempt to make it was disastrous. I am motivated to try again!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    neohdiver wrote: »
    The interesting thing, as it pertains to this group, is that the study substituted carbohydrates for sugar - so there was no decrease in carbohydrates.

I found that interesting too, because I've often read that sugar and starch are pretty much the same in terms of their glycemic index and effect on blood sugar. The big picture seems to be more complicated.

My point was just that they did not lower the carbs for the kids, and in some cases actually increased them (if they started losing weight). They just replaced one kind of carb with another.

Granted, fewer processed foods are better - but that is a different question than low-carb v. high carb.