Getting Enough Fiber

Options
lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
For those of you who consider fiber important, what are your favorite ways to get enough of it on a low carb diet?

I just discovered sauerkraut, high in fiber, low in sugar, and I'm going to look into kimchee as soon as I can get to an Asian market.

Replies

• LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I noticed that a serving of Metamucil actually isn't too high carb. I think it was 4 or 5 carbs. I don't have a problem with a low fiber diet though so I haven't needed to utilize its "assistance."
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, sauerkraut and kimchee are definitely the way to go for fermented fiber and sodium!

If you want your own bacteria to do the fermenting, Perlmutter recommends FODMAPs -- asparagus, artichokes, onions, leek, garlic, legumes, etc.

I'm not picky. Any fibrous veggies will do for me, but I'm trying to increase sodium, so the pre-fermented stuff is on my list.
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Yes, sauerkraut and kimchee are definitely the way to go for fermented fiber and sodium!

If you want your own bacteria to do the fermenting, Perlmutter recommends FODMAPs -- asparagus, artichokes, onions, leek, garlic, legumes, etc.

I'm not picky. Any fibrous veggies will do for me, but I'm trying to increase sodium, so the pre-fermented stuff is on my list.

I do want to feed my micro-beasties, and keep them healthy! I've been eating artichokes....asparagus is definitely going on the menu.

Yeah, I got the sauerkraut for the salt, and then noticed the high fiber and lack of sugar.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I do want to feed my micro-beasties, and keep them healthy! I've been eating artichokes....asparagus is definitely going on the menu.

Yeah, I got the sauerkraut for the salt, and then noticed the high fiber and lack of sugar.

Love sauerkraut too. Coconut flakes, celery and almonds are dailies for me. Fiber runs about 50% of the carb count on these.
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options

Love sauerkraut too. Coconut flakes, celery and almonds are dailies for me. Fiber runs about 50% of the carb count on these.

How do you use the coconut flakes, just have them plain, or do you add them to other dishes?

PS I just remembered that I have a great Indian green bean recipe with coconut.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

How do you use the coconut flakes, just have them plain, or do you add them to other dishes?

I have used coconut flake as part of a crust for "breaded" baked meats--like chicken tenders. Do an egg wash, mix together coconut flakes with almond flour, crushed chicharrones, and spices to use as the crust. Pretty darn tasty!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I eat them for snacks!

Toasted-Coconut-Flakes.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern with fibre... I haven't started low carbing yet, but i HAVE to aim for 35g minimum a day for the plumbing to work. I'm hoping the high fat content will give me the same results as high fibre...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I just dump them in a bowl and eat with a spoon. :)

Drinking a gallon of water a day is as important as fiber I find. I just got into heavily into Wobenzymes enzymes and got reminded about the need for a lot of water.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I treat Metamucil/psyllium as not real carbs and do not log them. I eat leafy salad greens with no dressing and raw jicama
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds - high in carbs yes - but equally high in fiber - so use in small amounts.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My strategy is low fiber, magnesium ascorbate and a very good probiotic. I learned that the hard way, you might say.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I'm concerned about my gut microbes. I know that science has barely scratched the surface of human gut ecology, and I don't want to mess too much with a microbial community that has kept me in good health so far.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about my gut microbes. I know that science has barely scratched the surface of human gut ecology, and I don't want to mess too much with a microbial community that has kept me in good health so far.

That's why I've added in fermented foods to my regular consumption. For me, in particular, I'm using Kombucha. Grains and sugars actually destroy gut health, so I don't understand the logic of wanting to keep adding fiber, beyond veggies. Naturally fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, etc., restore gut bacteria and balance, and it's a noticeable difference. Within the first day or two of starting slowly with the kombucha (naturally fermented tea), I could very clearly see and feel a difference...
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I eat fermented foods. There is a logic to eating a variety of carbs, such as soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, and some of the weird complex polysaccharides found in onions, for example, because those are things that gut microbes eat. Microbes that don't eat don't thrive. The caveat is that we don't yet know which microbes are good for you, and how to feed them selectively.

I still have to eat a small amount of wheat, rye or barley, regularly, until I have my small intestine biopsy in December to test for celiac disease, lest I get a false negative. After that, I'll experiment. There may be things in grains that are good for you. It's clear that a diet too heavy in grains is bad for a lot of people.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about fiber. I eat fermented food, like sauerkraut and pickles and in small quantities. Lately I've been on a mostly carnivorous diet (meat + dairy with very little veggies), but haven't had any digestion issues, which I like to attribute to my MCT oil consumption.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Today I'm dumping my "fiber baggage". Goodbye beans and avocados. If I need fiber I'll figure it out with a little help from my friends on this board.

I felt great eating a serving of beans everyday and not eating grains; that was the best digestion I've ever had. That's what I'm going back to if my ketosis experiment doesn't get the results I want.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Today I'm dumping my "fiber baggage". Goodbye beans and avocados. If I need fiber I'll figure it out with a little help from my friends on this board.

I felt great eating a serving of beans everyday and not eating grains; that was the best digestion I've ever had. That's what I'm going back to if my ketosis experiment doesn't get the results I want.

It just goes to show how we're all different! I had a few black beans (green beans and I are friends) a couple weeks back, a couple days apart, and I was so blocked up. Wishing you success, in whatever form that comes.