Options
2»

Replies

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I'm concerned about my gut microbes. I know that science has barely scratched the surface of human gut ecology, and I don't want to mess too much with a microbial community that has kept me in good health so far.

That's why I've added in fermented foods to my regular consumption. For me, in particular, I'm using Kombucha. Grains and sugars actually destroy gut health, so I don't understand the logic of wanting to keep adding fiber, beyond veggies. Naturally fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, etc., restore gut bacteria and balance, and it's a noticeable difference. Within the first day or two of starting slowly with the kombucha (naturally fermented tea), I could very clearly see and feel a difference...

What kind of Kombucha tea do you drink....I see there is a Kombucha Green tea?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Today I'm dumping my "fiber baggage". Goodbye beans and avocados. If I need fiber I'll figure it out with a little help from my friends on this board.

Really ?? The avocado , too? lol I have been eating one a day when I have them on hand... : )

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Today I'm dumping my "fiber baggage". Goodbye beans and avocados. If I need fiber I'll figure it out with a little help from my friends on this board.

Really ?? The avocado , too? lol I have been eating one a day when I have them on hand... : )

This is a useful article, on counting net carbs or total carbs. If you find that net carbs work for you, the avocado shouldn't be a problem. If you need to include fiber in your carbs to get the results you want, then you might want to skip avocado. Another variation would be to subtract insoluble fiber and count soluble fiber.....on the other hand insoluble fiber seems to lower blood sugar.

I'm eat avocados, for now, and counting net carbs, because I think vegetables and fiber have benefits beyond helping some people poop.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/30/Total-Carbs-or-Net-Carbs-What-Really-Counts
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    I'm concerned about my gut microbes. I know that science has barely scratched the surface of human gut ecology, and I don't want to mess too much with a microbial community that has kept me in good health so far.

That's why I've added in fermented foods to my regular consumption. For me, in particular, I'm using Kombucha. Grains and sugars actually destroy gut health, so I don't understand the logic of wanting to keep adding fiber, beyond veggies. Naturally fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, etc., restore gut bacteria and balance, and it's a noticeable difference. Within the first day or two of starting slowly with the kombucha (naturally fermented tea), I could very clearly see and feel a difference...

I'm making my own at this point, but the only type I could get locally was GT brand. The Green one had spirulina and mess added to it and was hit and miss as far as how it tasted. You can use actual green tea to make it, etc. There are tons of other brands and flavors out there if you're closer to a health or organic store... I already prefer the flavor and probiotic punch of my homebrew far above and beyond what i could buy in the store, though, tbh. I'm still playing around with flavor profiles. LOL
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lamb shanks were on sale, which takes care of my protein deficiency for the day. They smell divine in the crock pot.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Lamb shanks were on sale, which takes care of my protein deficiency for the day. They smell divine in the crock pot.

That sounds yummy, do you have a recipe? I'm all kinds of short on time this weekend and would love an easy crock pot recipe.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options

[/quote]

This is a useful article, on counting net carbs or total carbs. If you find that net carbs work for you, the avocado shouldn't be a problem. If you need to include fiber in your carbs to get the results you want, then you might want to skip avocado. Another variation would be to subtract insoluble fiber and count soluble fiber.....on the other hand insoluble fiber seems to lower blood sugar.

I'm eat avocados, for now, and counting net carbs, because I think vegetables and fiber have benefits beyond helping some people poop.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/30/Total-Carbs-or-Net-Carbs-What-Really-Counts[/quote]

Thank you, Lithezebra, I'll read this. I find I do need the extra fiber as of now, but hopefully when I fully find myself in low carb or even better in Keto, then I can rely on the fats. I feel the same way about my veggies, though, so I may not get into Keto , we'll see... Thanks!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    edited November 2015
    Options
    One medium avocado has 3 g of net carbs + 10 g fiber. So it's a great food. My problem with LCHF is that I have zero hunger. I've only been LCHF for 5 weeks and 3 days. I've already lost 9 lb. I'm going to blame the avocados for the reason I can't eat my protein requirements. I do resistance training. I don't want my muscles to melt away.

Basically I'm saying that getting my protein is more important vs getting my fiber. If I get hungry and need a snack, I'm eating an avocado. quote]

Good planning, I was just curious if you thought they were not the best to have on low carb..... I can see why now, if it causing too much satiety and you aren't making your protein reqmnts. Thanks!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Sorry, I never can get those quote boxes to work in the correct order for me!
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

That sounds yummy, do you have a recipe? I'm all kinds of short on time this weekend and would love an easy crock pot recipe.

@Lillith32 , I sort of followed this recipe, but used less onion and carrot. I only had white wine, which worked fine, and chicken broth, also fine. I skipped the fancy steps and threw everything in the pot. My lamb shanks had very little fat on them anyway, and I didn't bother removing any of it. I cooked them on low until the meat was falling off the bone, which took about 6 hours (but I started them early).

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/braised-lamb-shanks-with-rosemary.html
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Sweet, I think that might be what's for dinner. Thank you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Black Soybeans. Amazing carb/fat/fiber/protein profile. If legumes and mynznkucmt9u.jpg
    lignins fit into your goals, black soybeans are a great option.
  • esaucier17
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'm making my own at this point, but the only type I could get locally was GT brand. The Green one had spirulina and mess added to it and was hit and miss as far as how it tasted. You can use actual green tea to make it, etc. There are tons of other brands and flavors out there if you're closer to a health or organic store... I already prefer the flavor and probiotic punch of my homebrew far above and beyond what i could buy in the store, though, tbh. I'm still playing around with flavor profiles. LOL

I do have a health food store near me. I will have to go look there. I know myself and I won't be trying to brew me own....lol
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Black Soybeans. Amazing carb/fat/fiber/protein profile. If legumes and mynznkucmt9u.jpg

Thank you....I have been missing beans since they are so high in carbs. I am definitely going to look for these!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thank you....I have been missing beans since they are so high in carbs. I am definitely going to look for these!
    Fooducate rates them an A.
    They are delicious. Very nutty.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Black Soybeans. Amazing carb/fat/fiber/protein profile. If legumes and

I would be very happy to be able to squeeze legumes in again. Even if I decide to stay under 50 grams of carbs a day, I'll experiment with black soy beans at some point. Beans agree with me. Thanks for the tip!

• lithezebra
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Sweet, I think that might be what's for dinner. Thank you.

They turned out to be amazing, by the way, falling off the bone and rich in flavor. I think you can't go wrong with throwing any tough stew meat, celery, onion, carrot, salt, pepper, wine and/or broth, and maybe some herbs, in a pot and stewing for 4-10 hours. And I don't like meat!