Autoimmune Disorder Thread

Options
1235»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    So far I have not seen a reason for most anyone to not take at least a hundred milligrams daily. My ketones went up and my weigh was going down I knew something was going on
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I had no idea that pychnogenol had an impact on carb absorption...that's fascinating!!! And I'm going to share it with my diabetic friends!!!

@tcunbeliever you may want to share the Pycnogenol dosing level study below. In short taking 300 mg gave no more control than 200 mg but 200 mg gave more control than lower dosage.

care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/3/839.1

French Maritime Pine Bark Extract Pycnogenol Dose-Dependently Lowers Glucose in Type 2 Diabetic Patients
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that pychnogenol had an impact on carb absorption...that's fascinating!!! And I'm going to share it with my diabetic friends!!!

@tcunbeliever you may want to share the Pycnogenol dosing level study below. In short taking 300 mg gave no more control than 200 mg but 200 mg gave more control than lower dosage.

French Maritime Pine Bark Extract Pycnogenol Dose-Dependently Lowers Glucose in Type 2 Diabetic Patients

Wow I need to be more consistent taking it. Should I take more because of my size?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rugged1529 wrote: »

Wow I need to be more consistent taking it. Should I take more because of my size?

@rugged1529 that is a good question. I am about 205 and I tested it at 300 mg 2x daily. The day that I took 300 mg then 300 mg that night then got a wild hair to make a cup of Pycnogenol tea using 300 mg more seemed to drop my glucose level the next morning but I had left the house before I figured out what I had done. That late night dosage of 600 mg seemed to cause no harm but I weak until after lunch.

I am down to 200 mg 2x daily. I have not read about side effects being much of a concern. The tested dosages that I have read in the research range from 50 mg to 450 mg daily. I think the dosage in the study where the average BMI dropped from 26.5 to 25 over the six month study may have been 100 mg 2X daily.

Now one can buy a year's supply of some kind of Pine Bark in bulk from China for the price of a one month supply of Pycnogenol but the unknown factors rules that out for myself/family.

Prevention of heart disease and cancer is a feature of it that interests me as well. See the list on the left of 106 issues Pycnogenol have been tested as treatments in the link below.

greenmedinfo.com/substance/pycnogenol-pine-bark

Article on Pycnogenol resolving skin issues.
    lifeextension.com/magazine/2015/5/new-study-finds-pycnogenol-effectively-treats-psoriasis/page-01

• dph118
    dph118 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Diana. I currently live in Germany, but am originally from Arizona. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and was really excited when I found this thread. I have always suffered from inflammation in my back and major joints. I have been on all kinds of medications for my illness, but some of them have some pretty scary side effects. I hope that following this diet will allow me to lose weight, which will put less strain on my joints. It will also be an added bonus if it will also allow me to get off some of my medication. Sometimes I feel like a walking chemistry experiment. It also is very discouraging to go through every single day in pain.
    I just joined MFP and started the LCHF diet this week and I am hopeful that it will make a real difference in my life. Based on some of the post I have read, it sounds like it could be possible. Thanks for creating this thread.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    dph118 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Diana. I currently live in Germany, but am originally from Arizona. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and was really excited when I found this thread. I have always suffered from inflammation in my back and major joints. I have been on all kinds of medications for my illness, but some of them have some pretty scary side effects. I hope that following this diet will allow me to lose weight, which will put less strain on my joints. It will also be an added bonus if it will also allow me to get off some of my medication. Sometimes I feel like a walking chemistry experiment. It also is very discouraging to go through every single day in pain.
    I just joined MFP and started the LCHF diet this week and I am hopeful that it will make a real difference in my life. Based on some of the post I have read, it sounds like it could be possible. Thanks for creating this thread.

@dph118 welcome to MFP forums and best of success.

I started LCHF (before I knew what it was) Oct 2014 when I went off sugars and all forms of all grains and got heavy into coconut oil at the same time. After 40 years of living with AS with pain levels of around 7-8/10 in just 30 days my pain level had dropped into the 2-3/10 range.

By continuing to get my CRP (C-Reactive Protein) lowered there are days now that I have next to no pain it seems.
  • dph118
    dph118 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins
    Hi, Thanks for the note of encouragement. It is nice to be able to connect with someone else that has AS. I find that it is hard to relate with someone who has never experienced what it is like to have this illness. I have incorporated regular exercise along with my diet. I know that it will be no fun in the beginning, but I am hoping that my body will get used to moving more than I was. I figure any weight loss is just an added bonus and will ease the strain on my joints.

I would love to see a decrease in the pain levels. I can take pain pills, but really don't like them. I tend to only use them if I am having a particularly bad flare. Hopefully, over time I will see a reduction in my CRP.

Thanks for your note. Hope you are having a great day!