The Climate Agenda Behind the Bacon Scare

Options
13»

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I'm perfectly happy to eat farmed fish, to help the planet. I don't want to give up daily meat.

Farmed fish is problematic for the same reason big meat operations are problematic. The problem is no one is screaming about it loudly enough yet.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    oh I am so lucky living where I do, grass fed beef, and pork, phew. Our cancer society were careful to state it was processed foods, in LARGE quantities that were the cause of elevated risk of colon cancer. So if you want to eat meat the less process it goes through the better, ie home cured hams, fresh beef, or dried, it seems to be the added nitrates that are the evil things.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There are definitely people griping about the ills of farmed fish, however, I will happily continue my carnivorous ways given no better choices.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I view fish farmed in the US, Canada, or Europe as the lesser of evils, compared to a global fisheries collapse. I won't buy fish from Asia or South America.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

I'm perfectly happy to eat farmed fish, to help the planet. I don't want to give up daily meat.

Farmed fish is problematic for the same reason big meat operations are problematic. The problem is no one is screaming about it loudly enough yet.

purezing.com/living/food_articles/living_articles_7salmon.htm

I had read something about the dangers of farm raised fish and found the above link for what it is worth.

Clip of the article.

Farmed Salmon:

have seven times the levels of PCB’s as wild salmon

have 30 times the number of sea lice

are fed chemicals to give them color

are fed pellets of chicken feces, corn meal, soy, genetically modified canola oil and other fish containing concentrations of toxins

are administered antibiotics at higher levels than any other livestock

have less omega 3’s due to lack of wild diet

are crowed into small areas inhibiting movement, and causing disease
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Apparently, Chilean farmed salmon is very good. There are no risk free foods, and fish, even farmed, is a good choice. I like fish better than beef and chicken. Plus, it's delicious in a cream based fish stew.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/why-farmed-salmon-is-becoming-a-viable-alternative-to-wild-caught/2013/09/23/aaff33ca-1cbf-11e3-8685-5021e0c41964_story.html
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Forty nine dollars, or half price - pffft! You can raise your own crickets.

http://www.insectsarefood.com/recipes.html

I love this group. Nowhere else in my life can I share cricket recipes.

I have a thing about raising crickets, mainly because they can live outside of the enclosure, posing a risk of a cricket invasion of your house/property. I've heard some nasty horror stories, too. Plus, they smell and are noisy.

I've raised Dubia roaches before, though. They're really easy, especially if you're not in a tropical area (where they can live outside). Here in Ohio, once winter hits, they die off if they escape. They also don't fly and can't climb smooth surfaces, so they're not likely to escape, and if they do, they won't get far. I'm not sure about eating them, though. They're edible, but....they're roaches. And crunchy, chitinous suckers.

*shudder*
    I have this mental picture of the crickets all over my hose an slowly creeping closer... Sort of like the old (goofy) horror film, Frogs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzl1RkBxNsY
    Lillith32 wrote: »

I think it's partially because fish aren't cute. No big brown eyes with long lashes to bat at us. ;)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    This thread was most enlightening. ;)

I have not eaten crickets but during my adventures in Asia I did eat fried worms and bee larva (or at least, that's how my Chinese friends described them to me. It's possible something got lost in translation), among other things. No crickets but when I once freaked out about cockroaches in the classroom, one of my students laughed and said his grandmother used to snack on them when she was working in the fields.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OMG, "Frogs" stars Sam Elliott! without a mustache and cowboy hat! #swoon