How many "net" carbs per day do you eat, maximum?

Options
2»

Replies

• wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for less than 50 g carb total/ less than 30g carb net. I'm hoping keeping it low for a few weeks or more will help make hunger go away and keep bloodsugars lower and more stable.
  • wtskinner
    Options
    People who eat under 20, how do you get enough vegetables for the day? I tried around 20 and was hitting my carb intake on trace carbs plus about 1 or 2 servings of vegetables.

I find a similar issue when I try to include any almonds or cashews at all.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I eat under 20g total carbs. I get veggies with dinner every night.
    I need something to go with my butter. :)

>:) OR o:)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I aim for 25, but am not worried if I hit 30. Yesterday I intentionally binged, expecting to get to over 100 and ended up at 74, that's the most I've had since I started
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    wtskinner wrote: »
    People who eat under 20, how do you get enough vegetables for the day? I tried around 20 and was hitting my carb intake on trace carbs plus about 1 or 2 servings of vegetables.

I find a similar issue when I try to include any almonds or cashews at all.

Same here, with the nuts. I've taken to drinking heavy cream, and I eat cheese instead of nuts. I hope that doesn't turn out to be bad. I still have an inner critic that tells me I'm eating too much cheese. With vegetables, as opposed to nuts, at least there's a bunch of fiber to subtract.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    RE: People who eat under 20, how do you get enough vegetables for the day?

Vegetables are a method to consume more fat.
    Sautee some kale, spinach, mushrooms, a small chili pepper in butter and coconut oil, then add sour cream.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty easy to stay below 25 per day. Generally anything I eat with carbs only have trace amounts (i.e. 1-5) anyway. I basically never eat vegetables or fruit. I'm almost totally protein/fat. I'm still in the early stages of this WOE (one month today...down 17 lbs). I try to be a bit flexible so that I can occasionally eat something like chicken wings in a bar which may have been dusted with flour. But on a daily basis I have very few carbs at all.

At this point I don't know how many are too many. One day I will probably play with my carb intake a little to see what effect it has. Even then I will be careful about the intake and make sure to keep the calorie count down. I look forward to the day when I can have something like an apple as a treat, once in awhile. But I think my days of ever eating breads, refined sugar and the like are gone....I hope.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I eat under 20g total carbs. I get veggies with dinner every night.
    I need something to go with my butter. :)

>:) OR o:)

Lol! Exactly!
    I averaged 24g TOTAL carbs for the last 6 months. I pretty much only eat romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, zucchini, cucumbers and celery. The vegetables are basically filler in my diet and a receptacle for fat or to enhance a meat dish. I eat some just about every day, especially romaine. And they are typically the reason my total will climb to 30's at times. But then I also have very low days and fasting days that bring the average down.
    If I'm really wanting vegetables one day, I'll just allow the extra carbs that day. I don't think there's any need to try to resist that as long as it's a low carb veg.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me on less than 20% carb and minimise sugars (ie eat green leafy veg and meats + an egg) . After a week my fatigue had gone. 4 weeks later, today, I went back as need to fix Constipation. Magnesium tablets plus I am now allowed Quinoa and Beans. Long context! He said stick with net 20 to 30 grams carb. Plus, for me, (Fiber of 15 is not enough) so 25 to 40 grams fibre. Still minimise sugar. Basically a very low Glycemic Index diet.Other people find oil keeps them regular and they feel great on total . Doctor said he knows vegetarian marathon runners and other people who can't function well without meat, so as said before, see what works for you. Hope this helps.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I just aim for less than 50 net carbs. I tend to be between 30-50g net.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I eat salads all the time and still stay below 25, I don't eat onions often I eat house salads with full fat ranch (lettuce, egg, cheese, olives, bacon & tomato) onions have more carbs than I care for so I don't add them, i eat cabbage pretty regularly (no fruit or nuts) my limit is 30 carbs but I'm usually below 20 with out even trying.
  • wtskinner
    Options
    Garden salads with meat cheese, etc have been my largest source of carbs over the last 2 weeks.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

There is no minimum daily vegetable intake for people. Technically we can eat zero and get "enough" if it suits that person.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much for sharing your experiences. I've been making modifications to my meal plans, based on this, and I've reduced my net carbs accordingly. You're all awesome :smile: Thanks!
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I generally eat between 30-40 net carbs but my limit is 50 net. I have had some total carb days in the high 70's but generally my total carbs are around 60.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing this since 11/2 but so far it seems like I can go up to about 50 net and stay in ketosis. My aim right now is 50 total, 30 net but we'll see how it goes. I started this diet 17 lbs from goal and have lost 6 so far. As I get closer to goal I'll probably up my carbs a bit (maybe to 50 net) and see what happens.