How many "net" carbs per day do you eat, maximum?

Options
blacktie347
blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
For me, it's 57 carbs (after subtracting dietary fiber carbs)! I know, that's high, but I seem to be losing (more or less) while eating low-carb anyway. What's your daily limit (before or after subtracting fiber)?

Bonus question: How many carbs are too many, do you think?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bonus question: How many carbs are too many, do you think?

Whatever affects your health or diet in a negative manner.

For me, your level of carbs is too much. My blood glucose is affected and my hunger increases. 30g seems to be my upper limit. I do better below 20g.
  • sweetsriracha23
    sweetsriracha23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's completely individual and you have to experiment.

I've been trying for 20 and failing slightly (21-24 is typical for me).

I need to kick it lower though, because my ketone strips reveal I've only got trace ketones.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    In theory, I'm allowing myself 50 grams of carbs, net. In practice, my goal says 40 grams (because that's the closest I could get) and I'm usually under 40 grams net. I'm definitely in ketosis according to the little strips. I'll go lower if it helps my hand pain more. Where I'm at right now knocked out some neck pain I was having, but the hand is pretty stubborn.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I mostly stay under 30 total. But I really prefer how I feel at 10 or less. My actual average over the past 6 months is 24 total.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    This is all very interesting, thank you all for your replies! :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    57 carbs a day is way too many for me. I stay below 20 since anything higher will induce cravings for me. But, I will subtract the fiber carbs if I eat something that has fiber (I am a meativore). Finding the balance that works for you, is a very important part of this woe. Actually, anything below 150 is considered low carb (and works for many people), but I can't imagine the cravings that would come (for me) at this level. Good luck! :smiley:
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My sweet spot is 15-20g, although the occasional foray up to 35g doesn't hurt. If we start talking more than 40g net (I don't subtract sugar alcohols), then it's either a very special day or I need to make some adjustments elsewhere to reduce that number.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    57 carbs a day is way too many for me. I stay below 20 since anything higher will induce cravings for me. But, I will subtract the fiber carbs if I eat something that has fiber (I am a meativore). Finding the balance that works for you, is a very important part of this woe. Actually, anything below 150 is considered low carb (and works for many people), but I can't imagine the cravings that would come (for me) at this level. Good luck! :smiley:

Thanks so much for your insight. I appreciate it!
  • blacktie347
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    My sweet spot is 15-20g, although the occasional foray up to 35g doesn't hurt. If we start talking more than 40g net (I don't subtract sugar alcohols), then it's either a very special day or I need to make some adjustments elsewhere to reduce that number.

That's really good to know. Thanks! :)
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    30g is the highest. Ditto, my sweet spot is also around 15-20g, meaning that's when I see the greatest scale movement down for the week.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Subtracting fibre, I'm at around 30g average a day for the past week. I had 84 grams on Wednesday, but my other days are less than 30 (once fibre is subtracted). I want to stay under 50. Wednesday I had a piece of my son's birthday cake (which was a stupid thing to do).
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My goal is to stay under 50 net. Typically I eat around 40 net.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the replies. It's giving me great opportunities to think about the net carb intake that I want.

And avoiding b-day cake - well, it's your son's special day :)
  • cookiechicken1300
    Options
    People who eat under 20, how do you get enough vegetables for the day? I tried around 20 and was hitting my carb intake on trace carbs plus about 1 or 2 servings of vegetables.
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    People who eat under 20, how do you get enough vegetables for the day? I tried around 20 and was hitting my carb intake on trace carbs plus about 1 or 2 servings of vegetables.

Yes, this is my question, too. I have a hard time wrapping my head around being, like "No, you can't have a salad with your dinner...but go ahead an have another piece of chicken"....
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I avoid vegetables as a general rule. If the meat sources are fed well, I don't need them. (I consider the digestive tract of my meat's source to be the only acceptable food processing method.)

My upper limit is 30g of carbs. I am NOT a happy camper beyond that. Ideally, I aim for 0 - 10 TOTAL per day. This is where I see the benefits of eating keto/VLCVHF.

If I don't eat more than 10g carbs per day, I don't worry about the calories (and those days are usually the days I'm closest to target, or under).
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

If you're tracking net carbs (total carbs-fiber) it should be no problem if you stick to leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables.

I have a limit of about 50 net carbs and I eat a lot of vegetables.
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I try to stay below 20 net carbs, simply for pain management. I feel better there, but I still lose weight when I go slightly above to 30 or so.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I try to stay below 30g. Some days I am a little less some days a little more.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Yes, this is my question, too. I have a hard time wrapping my head around being, like "No, you can't have a salad with your dinner...but go ahead an have another piece of chicken"....

If you're counting net carbs, you can subtract, at the very least, the insoluble fiber from your total carbs. Some people subtract all of their fiber. I subtract it all, for now, as I'm still finding what works for me. There are vegetables that are lower in carbs than other vegetables, such as leafy greens, asparagus, green beans, avocado (technically a fruit and delightfully low carb after you subtract fiber), broccoli and cauliflower. Also, I eat sauerkraut, which has less sugar than plain cabbage, because it has been fermented.

I still eat my veggies. Actually, I'm eating more veggies than I did before.