How do you avoid bingeing?

Options
blacktie347
blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
Ok so I felt like bingeing, and I did, but I ate tons of tuna fish, lettuce, 4.5 cups of blackberries, a small steak, and drank liquids too.

Even after all of that, I feel bloated, now, but the urge to binge more is gone.

And I'm at 1,631 calories (and I walked earlier today to burn around 100 calories), which is over my desired daily goal, but with luck I should still lose fat (maybe not reflected on the scale) by tomorrow.

I put all of the stuff into my Food Diary, and I felt full enough so I just narrowly avoided a bad binge.

What do you do to avoid bingeing, when you feel like it?

PS: My urge was brought on by stress, since I was stressed out from stuff in life, plus the stuff in Paris today. So I was also wondering: What prompts you to feel that you should go on a binge?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    First step for me is to ask myself why I'm doing it. If it's due to hunger, I dig in.

Next step is to ask myself if what I'm about to eat is really worth the calories. I've stepped away from quite a few so-so snacks with that simple question.

Finally, if it's a food that I know triggers overeating for me, I simply avoid it like poison. You'll know them when you see them. Almost all of them could be marketed with "bet you can't eat just one!"

A tuna fish binge is OK in my book. Anything that fills you up now will usually make you less hungry later.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    First step for me is to ask myself why I'm doing it. If it's due to hunger, I dig in.

Next step is to ask myself if what I'm about to eat is really worth the calories. I've stepped away from quite a few so-so snacks with that simple question.

Finally, if it's a food that I know triggers overeating for me, I simply avoid it like poison. You'll know them when you see them. Almost all of them could be marketed with "bet you can't eat just one!"

A tuna fish binge is OK in my book. Anything that fills you up now will usually make you less hungry later.

Thank you so much for this. I'm going to ask if it's really worth the calories. I was debating getting a frap at starbucks, too, but it's not worth the calories. And I'll avoid the "can't eat just one" things, like little chocolates or chips.

Your ideas are gold *-*
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My binges are so small, and infrequent, and usually happen when I have to finish a project for a deadline, that I now view them as a valid coping mechanism that helps me behave like a professional instead of blowing off the stress of deadline. Sometimes, instead of eating 3 meals, I assume that I'm going to be eating nuts, cheese, chocolate and coffee all day, and I measure out amounts that fit my calorie goal ahead of time.

Very important: I log binges right away. I stop sooner that way, and I don't end up feeling bad, which makes it easier not to do it again.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    My binges are so small, and infrequent, and usually happen when I have to finish a project for a deadline, that I now view them as a valid coping mechanism that helps me behave like a professional instead of blowing off the stress of deadline. Sometimes, instead of eating 3 meals, I assume that I'm going to be eating nuts, cheese, chocolate and coffee all day, and I measure out amounts that fit my calorie goal ahead of time.

Very important: I log binges right away. I stop sooner that way, and I don't end up feeling bad, which makes it easier not to do it again.

Brilliant ideas, thank you so much!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Um...1,631 calories for a man seems rather low...and you're saying that's a "binge" day? I'm a woman and have a 1,700+ goal on the days I sit on my butt all day for a 1lb/week loss rate and when I eat my proper diet, I can lose that on closer to 2,000.

I highly suspect you're "bingeing," because your calorie goal is way too restrictive and your body is screaming for fuel.

What's your calorie goal? What is it with your stats here - http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ - at a 10% deficit?
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have felt hungry the past few days so I am just increasing calories to eat at maintenance for a few days to avoid bingeing. That way, while I won't lose wait for a few days, I won't gain either.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I avoided a binge by snacking on kerrygold butter. I was out all afternoon running errands and really wanted a Big Mac combo today, but made it home and a little butter later I was full! Less than a tablespoon of salt and fat did the trick.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I'm a woman

I'm so sorry. I always thought you were a guy! Please tell me you at least wear glasses so I'm not completely off base from what I pictured you to look like.

Also, I have two urges to binge: sweets/carbs, which is usually once a month right before shark week. I usually give into that one, buy all the stuff I want, cram myself until I'm sick, throw away whatever is left over. The next day I usually go for a long run. Not the healthiest thing to do, but if I end up giving into the bingy urge, at least I restrict it to one day. Type two: binge on keto stuff, meat and cheese, mainly because manchego is delicious. I am working on pre-portioning the cheese and deli meats after I get them into little baggies. I can eat one and then tell myself I don't need anymore.

My coping strategies: if I'm feeling the urge to binge I drink a glass of water and/or go for a walk. What works best is avoidance, if I am busy or too far away from food I won't binge, so I keep myself crazy busy and super active at all times. It's working well for me so far, the last three months I even missed my monthly carbfest of doom due to just staying the heck out of the house.

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I avoid binges by avoiding cravings, I learned early on that artificial sweeteners make me crave more sweets! So noooooo artificial sweeteners goes past my lips lol I am sure carbs would do the same thing though I haven't had any bad carbs since I started so I don't know for sure. Good luck!!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If I have an urge to nosh, I grab something with a high fat content and salty. Sometimes a tablespoon of MCT oil followed by a cup of tea will kill the urge as well.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    When I want something like sweets, which is the type of food that causes me to binge, instead I eat something really rich and satisfying like steak with butter and cream spinach. This is a really filling meal for me and helps me to avoid the sweet cravings which fuels binges. As a life long binge eater, I have found this to be the best solution for me.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body was begging you for fat. I will straight eat coconut oil (which is delicious btw) if I ever feel like that (usually when I'm working and forget to eat for hours, doesn't happen often). Within 10 minutes my body is happy and I'm back in control. Other choices would be heavy whipping cream, avocado, or melted cheese (even though I'm dairy free right now)
    Ok so I felt like bingeing, and I did, but I ate tons of tuna fish, lettuce, 4.5 cups of blackberries, a small steak, and drank liquids too.

Even after all of that, I feel bloated, now, but the urge to binge more is gone.

And I'm at 1,631 calories (and I walked earlier today to burn around 100 calories), which is over my desired daily goal, but with luck I should still lose fat (maybe not reflected on the scale) by tomorrow.

I put all of the stuff into my Food Diary, and I felt full enough so I just narrowly avoided a bad binge.

What do you do to avoid bingeing, when you feel like it?

PS: My urge was brought on by stress, since I was stressed out from stuff in life, plus the stuff in Paris today. So I was also wondering: What prompts you to feel that you should go on a binge?

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Cream and a bowl of sauerkraut has been my binge stopper recently. I tend to be a little under on fat, and the cream helps to correct that, while the sauerkraut adds fiber and salt.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I guess I still binge. It could be a can of nuts or pork like at a meal at church last night. Someone had a hog slaughter and roasted. The ribs were layed in fat which I ate. It may have grossed some out.

While I did not make myself sick I pushed the envelop but will not do that again soon even if I have a chance.

By just sticking with my low carb high fat diet binging from time to time does not negatively impact my weight like it did before this way of eating cured my leaky gut.

Cream and sauerkraut is an interesting combo. :)

If I ever get a touch of indigestion I will sometimes drink a cup of heavy whipping cream (36% butter fat content) and that gives me 800 calories of fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't be a binge for me. That was just a higher calorie day. ;)

To me, a binge is eating out of macros and not stopping easily. It's chips, candy and soda for me. The blackberries would have been a bit much for me, but it was all "good" food.

It looks like it was a hungry day.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That wouldn't be a binge for me. That was just a higher calorie day. ;)

To me, a binge is eating out of macros and not stopping easily. It's chips, candy and soda for me. The blackberries would have been a bit much for me, but it was all "good" food.

It looks like it was a hungry day.

I agree. I've had two days recently where I ate at maintenance rather than a deficit, but I was just really hungry and I kept carbs limited.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree too. Binge eating is a real and complex issue and is much more than pigging out from time to time on healthy food.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My binges in the last 4 months is at 50g carbs a day & recenlty a one off spin out at 70g this last week. It has been hard to recover from & I now am out of ketos for a week and got the dreaded headache today when at 25g for 2-3 days. Oh well the price has to be paid.
    The good thing is this blowout of over a week - and I didn't put on, just plateaued.
    I cringe as to what my level of carbs was prior to using MFP.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    if I feel like I want a big meal I plan a bunch of low-calorie foods that have a higher volume, that way I can 'eat and eat and eat' and not knock things way out of my macros.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    if I feel like I want a big meal I plan a bunch of low-calorie foods that have a higher volume, that way I can 'eat and eat and eat' and not knock things way out of my macros.
    Can you give me some examples of what one of these meals would look like? I'm guessing lots of of green leafy veg. .. What else?