How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I'm in the once per week group. I used to weigh everyday but found the fluctuations sometime disheartening. If I weigh once per week I'm almost guaranteed to see a loss - even just a small one. Then there are the weeks where the loss is significant and the feeling is a tremendous boost for my spirits.

I feel the same way. The daily fluctuations have a way of getting in my head. Once a week is plenty.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't allow it to mess with my head. As long as I know what's going into my mouth is right, then I know the scale is wrong.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I weigh always after I wake and fasted in the morning then I also sometimes weigh before I go to bed, just out of curiosity. I have to weigh every morning to keep me accountable.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_bunny_ That's a nice graph you have. Is it an app or did you make it??
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    @Sunny_bunny_ That's a nice graph you have. Is it an app or did you make it??

It's the iPhone Health App
    It makes graphs for just about anything health related.... Except tracking ketones. Lol
    I'm using the blood alcohol chart for my experiment in tracking ketones 3 times a day this week. It's weird to record having a 40% blood alcohol content!
    l04lmicascmp.png
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, in the morning with an empty stomach and before I start filling it. I consider it 'data collection' not 'judgement time.' Because I don't change up what I'm doing very much, I know I can pretty much KCKO.

On the other hand, my body reacts pretty quickly to what I change. I dropped Dairy last week and the scale reacted the very next day. If I only weighed once per week it would have been a nice drop to see all at once, but at the same time, I might not have been motivated to keep avoiding the cream in my coffee that I love so much.

With the knowledge that cream and cheese seem to limit my success in losing weight, I also am armed with a plan for maintenance (just add it back!).

You'd also think that going over by nearly 1,000 calories every day (Mmm pork belly!) I'd see an upward shift. But nope. Down and down. Weighing daily keeps me from dreading the scale all week (it would be nice to be wrong when I finally did weigh but added stress might prevent weight loss, so :P Also I might NOT have eaten all that delicious pork belly all week, and wouldn't know my body was enjoying that extra fat energy.)

So for me, who loves data and dorks out on observing trends, weighing daily is not an issue.

My husband is the opposite. He reacts to every shift immediately, stresses over it, obsesses, and it increases his cortisol for sure. So he weighs once a month and enjoys seeing drops in the double-digits.

Gotta do you.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Oh, and regarding your MFP weights.. the browser "Reports" page only displays up to 1 year, but the measurements are still in there. If you use the app, you can view the chart for "All Time," and back in the browser, if you visit Edit previous entries they're all still there.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Just about every morning.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love hearing your stories, folks. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! This is really helping me figure out how often I should weigh :smiley:
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself daily: unless I'm dealing with TOM bloating. But, I also use the iPhone app "Happy Scale" which calculates my moving averages for my weight. It is the Happy Scale number that I use as my "official" weight. The moving average can be more, or less, than what the scale reads.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of random about weighing. I have gone as long as several months without weighing. Then there are times when I weigh several times a week or once a week just for curiosity. The number on the scale really doesn't bother me that much, especially when the inches keep shrinking.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The other day I made a ketones category in my MFP goals. Neagtive is 0, trace is 1, small is 2, etc. Charts for ketones can "sort-of" be done.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I weigh once or twice a week depending on how I think I did during that time.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Naked every morning after visiting the bathroom.... Well technically I'm still in the bathroom, and before my coffee.