Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You guys are bloody awesome! :heart: :heart:

Thanks for links, off to read them now.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    We attempted to do a couple mega-threads on this topic before. Here's my side of the argument.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10093268/doesnt-counting-calories-count/p1

I am pretty anti-calorie-counting. Calories matter in the same way that oxygen matters. But, you don't need to control it.

Great thread, thank you for the link!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    CICO is probably mostly true, but not always. Many years ago when I was maybe 30 pounds over, I was doing a strict measured calory count - that probably was targeting 1 pound a week. All calculated on paper - home computers were still science fiction. The only exercise I was doing was traditional yoga - not the fake high impact stuff that's around today. I found some poses and meditation for weight loss. I was losing over 5lbs a week. Totally impossible by CICO rules.

Also not sustainable once the weight left. :'(
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Calories matter in the same way that oxygen matters. But, you don't need to control it.

Oh! I like that. I may quote you!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    CICO is the shell that governs whether you lose weight. If you consume fewer calories than your body needs over time, you lose weight. Period. But there are multiple layers of complexity within that formula.

But that doesn't mean that every CI is equal - fiber that passes straight through doesn't have a chance to be burned for fuel - and (as noted above) there are some weight loss surgeries that change absorption). And it also doesn't mean that every body burns a calorie (CO) the same way (or even that the same body burns a calorie the same way over time). Metabolisms differ from person to person, or within the same person over time, and in response to disease (thyroid malfunctions, for example). Burning fat at least theoretically is harder than burning carbohydrates - so a calorie of fat may go a little farther than a calorie of carbs on a ketogenic diet. Exercise changes the number of calories you need for energy. That's just a teeny window into the multiple variables embedded in the left or right side of the equation.

Beyond that, there are factors that impact how easy it is to maintain a calorie deficit - lack of complex carbs and the presence of sugars and some fats create cravings for me. For many people, fats create satiation easier than carbs so eating LCHF makes it easier to eat fewer calories (whether you count calories or not).

Mostly, I am finding that I don't really need to count calories on LCHF - because there are so few things that are calorie dense that are permitted that I enjoy. I've been struggling to eat over the "naughty girl" cutoff of 1000 calories without going over protein or carbs (the two things I am limiting). I'm finding it hard to imagine what I will eat when I transition to maintenance.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Very interesting discussion. Thanks, all!
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    During a 3 week plateau, my nutritionist who is LCHF positive, warned me as a female to not have less than 1500 cal a day or my body can go into starvation mode. I just cannot eat that amount of cals, so instead I did a fast which kicked me out of the plateau at that time & did again in another plateau. I'm learning about my body & logging everything including the blow outs, weight gains etc I have history to see how it reacts. I do think calories has an effect, but is not near as important as they are made out to be for LCHF.

Good MFP logs calories but only to check when needed & ignore when not needed.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    so instead I did a fast which kicked me out of the plateau at that time & did again in another plateau.
    Could you please describe your fast- how long you fasted, etc.?
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Not mch science to it. I like things to be simple and duplicatable. It was a fat fast you could say - my version, little bit of lean protein in only 1 meal, aimed for only traces of carbs all day (totalled 7g a day) lots and lots of water til I sloshed. Salted anything standing still that I could stomach. Calories were 500 -700 each day mainly via fat. And strict on my supplements.

Only did for 2 days - that was enough, any more and I would have felt I was depriving myself. Then was strict on my normal %s without deviating - now that took discipline!!!!