Favourite Fast Day Meals?

Options
13»

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    http://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/2015/07/17/tofu-bolognese/ recipe for the tofu but I made it in a skillet, not the oven.
    The marinara recipe is http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-dips.html#anchor-moms-marinara
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sanjo, it's nice to see another plant-based IF-er. I've been plant-based, mostly vegan for over 3 years and I feel great. At 46, I have more energy than many of my friends who are younger than me. I truly believe this, combined with 5:2, has made weight loss a possibility. I'll look forward to more recipes from you!!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Thanks Flossyruby1, and it's good to know you are on a similar path. I like eating plant-based because I get to eat a lot. Today I had leftover chili from a Thug Kitchen recipe that incorporated squash and it was yummy! http://www.popsugar.com/food/Pumpkin-Chili-Recipe-35890481 I don't post a lot of recipes but those two dishes are reliable favorites.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    @sanjoparolas, I have both of the thug cookbooks. My go to's, however, are Isa Does It and I Can't Believe It's Vegan (not sure of the exact title, but it's by Kristy Turner). I also use Pinterest a lot for recipes. I find plant based cooking to be so much more creative!!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    I too enjoy eating a lot, so plant based works for me. But I also find I don't get nearly as hungry as I used to on a "typical" diet.
  • mmovesian
    mmovesian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Miso soup, tom yum shrimp soup, and hot/sour egg drop soup seem to be my favorites this winter. Sometimes I make them from home, sometimes I cheat and grab a pint of miso soup at the sushi place near work. :)

If I want something sweet I make a smoothie with vanilla protein powder, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, frozen berries, spinach, and kale.
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    I love miso soup too! And my kids like the smoothies I make even though I put spinach in them, but mine are not low calorie so we have them on non fast days.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Ok here's what The daughter did for our quinoa burgers while the husband is out of town.....

2 cups cooked quinoa in large bowl set aside. (I already had this in the fridge)

Sauté together 1c grated zucchini, 3/4c grated carrot, minced shallot or red onion, & garlic for few mins, add any spices here, I added a little cayenne but next time I'll try some old bay. Then add this mixture to your quinoa and mix in one beaten egg & 3 tablespoons cornstarch, stir well. Drop by firmly filled & pressed 1/2 cup measurement in same sauté pan with little oil over medium high heat and flatten gently into patty shape cooking 4 mins per side. Coleslaw and sliced avocado with some Sriracha mayo were added to the toasted bun! I was pretty happy with her creative new meal - I'm sure variations of this is online and may check out different flavor ideas. Happy cooking!
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    These are all great ideas which I've copied for when I soon go back on a 5:2 (maybe a 3:4 to start up again). Thanks, sanjo, flossy, mmovesian and mamainthekitchen!

One of my own favorite treats is a meal of only a small steamed artichoke. Small ones are available in a 4-artichoke package from Trader Joe's or I make a regular-size artichoke and eat only half. I serve it with a tablespoon of soy mayo. Also, during summer, since I'm a gardener, I often do a sort of stir fry with only veggies (zucchini, string beans, tomatoes, Asian eggplant slices), first sauteing a little garlic in a non-stick pan with a spray of olive oil, and adding a little of whatever herb I have handy, most often oregano or basil. With salt and fresh-ground pepper this can be a simple but delicious and very low cal down-day meal.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I make my own chili using crushed tomato, tomato puree, beans (usually black), chili powder, garlic, mild green chilis -- can add ground chicken breast or any other kind of protein. My recipe usually ends up with 3 quarts for about 120 per 8 oz. When I heat it up I add a cup of riced cauliflower or riced broccoli -- now that I know I like it I will probably add the cauliflower when I make it but then it will be more in the fridge. I can freeze the chili too.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    We get Home Chef meals, and I usually have the one with the calorie count that fits my needs. Last night it was Spicy Honey Salmon with veggies. Delish!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    My fav lunch: 1 hard boiled egg; 1 hard boiled egg white; 1 small can of tuna packed in water; chopped up celery and onion; cilantro; mix this all up with lemon juice, salt and pepper and put it on a plate of mixed greens. It's about 160 calories, but crunchy and filling.
  • Trisharrell76
    Trisharrell76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have only just started this lifestyle change and have only done one cycle but I drank a lot of tea with a splash of milk and have found hard boiled eggs to be very satisfying.
    I am also trying to really control my sugar intake and sugar cravings so I try to restrict myself to only protein. Problem is I hate chicken lol.
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 6
    Options
    Overall, I've lost almost 80 pounds from my highest weight, through a variety of means. I became more active starting in 2014, I did intermittent fasting, off and on in 2014 to 2020, to lose about 35 pounds (using the strategy in the book by Dr. James B. Johnson, The Alternate Day Diet , and most recently I've been doing a diet in which I balance carbs and protein (for every gram of carbs I eat in a meal, I match with an equal amount of protein). The IF gave the most dramatic results and I want to try again and I also need to get active again, as sheltering in place because of the pandemic has turned me into a couch potato.

I hope this thread also becomes more active! :)
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    @andreada98507 Welcome to the group! If you scroll down, there is a monthly post. Well done on your loss, so far!