Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I started my overall heath journey at my highest medical weight of 319. I've been around the 250-260 range for the last 2-3 years, though I've lost some, regained, but lost more inches than pounds lately.

This year I will turn 40 years old, I am just shy of 5'4". My ideal weight by the charts is a max of 145. I will never be able to get there in a healthy way again. They say that once your body adds fat cells, your healthy weight range changes, because your body will always hold some extra weight from all the empty extra fat cells it added when I was my heaviest, and it doesn't Kill those cells ever - it just tells the body they're empty and dormant, etc.

So, I too, still have at least 80 pounds to lose, and never have I lost 5 pounds in a week. So I feel your pain. I'm working really really hard right now to stop any comparison between myself and others, but honestly, it's really hard. WE always want a point of reference, and we always need a marker for progress, etc. Humans are naturally competitive...even though the playing field has NEVER been an even one...

So ... just to summarize, you're not alone. Focusing on the benefits is the way to go. I try to remember, I'm looking for health gains, weight loss is the byproduct, and that darned scale will catch up with me eventually!

I'm cheering for you! I, too, thought I would never get to goal weight, but you never know how your body might respond over long periods of time. I'm so in awe at the fact that you are staying the course and are so generous with your profound keto knowledge!

Honestly, staying the course is sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane, and sharing my knowledge gets me outside my head as far as thinking... And thank you.

But no, I was 19 and weighed 140, when I got married. It was okay then, but I have a woman's body now, and there is no way that weight would look healthy on my frame. I consistently have people thinking I weigh 50 pounds less than I do, and have almost my whole life, so I don't see that range looking and feeling healthy on me.

My goal is to get down to 175-180 and evaluate from there.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I started my overall heath journey at my highest medical weight of 319. I've been around the 250-260 range for the last 2-3 years, though I've lost some, regained, but lost more inches than pounds lately.

This year I will turn 40 years old, I am just shy of 5'4". My ideal weight by the charts is a max of 145. I will never be able to get there in a healthy way again. They say that once your body adds fat cells, your healthy weight range changes, because your body will always hold some extra weight from all the empty extra fat cells it added when I was my heaviest, and it doesn't Kill those cells ever - it just tells the body they're empty and dormant, etc.

So, I too, still have at least 80 pounds to lose, and never have I lost 5 pounds in a week. So I feel your pain. I'm working really really hard right now to stop any comparison between myself and others, but honestly, it's really hard. WE always want a point of reference, and we always need a marker for progress, etc. Humans are naturally competitive...even though the playing field has NEVER been an even one...

So ... just to summarize, you're not alone. Focusing on the benefits is the way to go. I try to remember, I'm looking for health gains, weight loss is the byproduct, and that darned scale will catch up with me eventually!

MFP needs a "like" button!!!

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Definitely seen the weight loss slow down the closer I get to my new, revised goal weight..playing around with maintenence strategies doesn't help either and yet sooner or later I will have to gain those skills. I just know that no matter what, I can return to strict keto and the weight does come down.
    My weekly dance night is tonite and I am feeling nervous and excited. Trying to acknowledge this so it doesn't lead to a self sabotage situation. Just going to go and have a good time. Expect the best, prepare for whatever else happens. It's still dance night!!!
  • Evelynandchris
    Evelynandchris Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! I've been strict keto this week (+ moderate urinr ketones) w/ 20-25 net carbs and eating 1400-1500 calories. About 65-75% of my calories have been coming from fat.
    Feeling so successful. . .until today when I felt terrible (had eaten 1 Oz of sharp cheddar 1 hr prior). I tested my BG and it read 64. I went ahead and ate my dinner.
    Has anyone else experienced some hypoglycemic episodes with this WOE? I know the body is utilizing mostly ketones, but should BG levels also be normalized? I feel like my Biochem knowledge should be answer this question, but I'm really unsure.
    Open to any comments or advice. TIA!
  • elize7
    Options
    Weekend is officially begun. Have plans to keep busy living life and do a strict food plan. Dance night was fun, as usual. Music was awesome, had fun with friends. May just be giving up hope on ever dating again though. Even though I'm thin now and feel good about myself, I just don't seem to be able to cross that bridge.
    Was a little off plan yesterday, not too bad for the situation.. but feel more resolved to stick to it for the week.. noticing that the price of getting social and going out -- even though I love it -- is that it really ups my stress and food sabotage levels every single week. I would really like to figure out a way to contain that.
    Have a great Saturday.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungrier than usual today, even with eating a bit more than usual so far. A bit of that low-blood sugar feeling in the morning. Got a magnesium supplement today that I hope will help with sleep. Feeling good overall.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ate over my deficit goal yesterday, though still under/around my estimated caloric expenditure, and within my carb macros ~ feels good to be able able to 'over eat' without going over what would add weight back on
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungrier than usual today, even with eating a bit more than usual so far. A bit of that low-blood sugar feeling in the morning. Got a magnesium supplement today that I hope will help with sleep. Feeling good overall.

I take magnesium citrate. I haven't really noticed much difference in my sleep but it definitely contributes to my regularity and that's major for me.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Hey folks! I've been strict keto this week (+ moderate urinr ketones) w/ 20-25 net carbs and eating 1400-1500 calories. About 65-75% of my calories have been coming from fat.
    Feeling so successful. . .until today when I felt terrible (had eaten 1 Oz of sharp cheddar 1 hr prior). I tested my BG and it read 64. I went ahead and ate my dinner.
    Has anyone else experienced some hypoglycemic episodes with this WOE? I know the body is utilizing mostly ketones, but should BG levels also be normalized? I feel like my Biochem knowledge should be answer this question, but I'm really unsure.

I don't have BG issues but one thing I do know is my body hates cheese! Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my tastebuds on board. Even though dairy is allowed with Keto, it screws with my success.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My poor DH. We were so excited when he tried his last keto cheese cake. It looked great, had risen nicely, he even put in tiny dark chocolate shavings, the texture was very cheesecake-y... but he forgot sweetener. It was the perfect cheesecake otherwise! DH looked so downtrodden- he's been trying to tweak the keto recipe, this was his 4th try, and we thought he'd gotten it just right this time!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

How long have you been strict on your macros, @Evelynandchris ? During the adaption process, there can be occasions of this if you are already sensitive. You might have to be super strict for a bit to force your body to switch to ketones quicker, but I don't know specifically. I found that I had issues with cinnamon or any of the foods/supplements supposed to "balance and regulate blood sugars." Once I went low carb, my body started doing most of that naturally... Adding outside input really messed me up for a bit. Now I have to be far more careful that that!
    1. Things I have seen suggested - load up with fats and sodium at the beginning of your meals.
    2. Don't eat anything with SUGARS in it - all carbs from veggies or fibers, etc., even if it fits your keto macros)
    3. Don't eat cheese without a balancing food - or nuts either, from what I recall. Both can have hunger triggers AND natural sugars, which can trigger imbalances. If you're eating these, make them part of a bigger meal.
    4. Avoid snacking if possible - your body does better with breaks between processing food.
    5. Get lots of water, salt, electrolytes

But above all, if you have regular drops like this, make sure you aren't just assuming that it's an adjustment thing. I don't recall if you are taking insulin supplements or anything, but typically, insulin dosages must be decreased relative to carb decreases. Also, slower adjusting may make it easier for your body to catch up. If you continue to have this problem, be sure to consult with a medical professional who understands nutritional ketosis.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    My poor DH. We were so excited when he tried his last keto cheese cake. It looked great, had risen nicely, he even put in tiny dark chocolate shavings, the texture was very cheesecake-y... but he forgot sweetener. It was the perfect cheesecake otherwise! DH looked so downtrodden- he's been trying to tweak the keto recipe, this was his 4th try, and we thought he'd gotten it just right this time!

Oh no! Sweetener is kind of an important component in cheesecake. If it was a no-bake I bet you could scoop out the filling and blend in the sweetener and try again. I'm looking forward to trying a keto cheese cake. I've looked at them but just never followed through. If you think you have it perfect feel free to share the recipe!

On another note on Friday I had lost pretty much all (or most) of the water I'd put on in the previous weeks (about 7 llbs- thank you egg fast!). I went pretty over calories both Saturday and Sunday. Way off plan on Saturday (student event with amazing food...lots of rice) but at least my keto ratios were pretty good yesterday - except for the wine, heh, but even figuring that in, I only had about 35 net carbs and my percentages were good.

That said, scared to step on the scale. Telling myself, okay, get back at it for a few days and weigh in on Wednesday. As if by not knowing the number, somehow, I really don't weigh that much...does anyone else ever feel this way and if you do, what do you do?
  • elize7
    Options
    Reeling myself back in foodwise. Today was not perfect, but getting closer. For the win tomorrow-day off- sticking to the plan and focus on living and enjoying time off without food slips..would like to be social, but nah..think I'll hang around the shanty and work on making my room cozier or something like that..not just housework drudgery..
    Honestly, I'm feeling somewhat frustrated and impatient for changes to actually occur. I feel like I keep plugging along, trying to be positive, taking personal risks, walking the walk...but nada. I guess the current challenge for me is to stay the course and remain steady..and to try and keep the faith. I believe there is a brass ring out there with my name on it -- and I want it!!!
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    @elize7 you got this! Sounds like a good attitude. There are times I feel like having a good toddler, throw myself on the floor tantrum when things aren't progressing. But then I remember that I have to adult again and be patient. I like the idea of the brass ring out there.
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    Had my third martial arts class last night and I'm not AS horribly sore the following morning. Found out that one of my classmates has recently comeback to martial arts after winning a battle with cancer. (She's amazing btw!!!) When I told her that I too, had come back after health issues (nothing like cancer), she called us the "come-back kids." I like that!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Reeling myself back in foodwise. Today was not perfect, but getting closer. For the win tomorrow-day off- sticking to the plan and focus on living and enjoying time off without food slips..would like to be social, but nah..think I'll hang around the shanty and work on making my room cozier or something like that..not just housework drudgery..
    Honestly, I'm feeling somewhat frustrated and impatient for changes to actually occur. I feel like I keep plugging along, trying to be positive, taking personal risks, walking the walk...but nada. I guess the current challenge for me is to stay the course and remain steady..and to try and keep the faith. I believe there is a brass ring out there with my name on it -- and I want it!!!

@elize7 I find my biggest struggles work around feeling like I'm so compliant most of the time and have no progress and it perpetuates the urge to cheat myself further out of progress. Then I get further frustrated with my level of compliance and nothing, and I almost forget that I keep taking little dips off plan. I figure until I can go 6-12 weeks without any deviations from plan, I really have no right to feel frustrated with my lack of progress. Sometimes being a pain with myself about things can kind of take the wind out of my sails as far as the misery/self-abuse cycle... I don't know if a mindshift like that might help or not for you.

Had my third martial arts class last night and I'm not AS horribly sore the following morning. Found out that one of my classmates has recently comeback to martial arts after winning a battle with cancer. (She's amazing btw!!!) When I told her that I too, had come back after health issues (nothing like cancer), she called us the "come-back kids." I like that!

@kimbo8435 That's awesome - the comeback kids! But I think, easily from your description of your seizures and such, that your condition was in the same realm as something as life-altering as cancer! Don't minimize that...and I know you don't, but just wow... I guess what they say about attitude being everything is so true!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

"Come-back kids" I like that too. Congrats to you!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Where is everyone today? Got a little snow today but still got a walk in. Got any determination? Send me a little...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm packing up my office, and almost by accident intermittent fasting! LOL I went home for lunch and spent the time destressing. Brought food back with me just in case, but yeah, not on my currently to do list! LOL
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I made psyllium and egg white tortillas tonite. I think I used too much psyllium. My tummy feels weird.

In other news, my non-Keto girlfriend continues to baffle me with her food choices. Here is her completed journal for today: