Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I love the idea of this group and that anyone can post anything at anytime but I'm finding that I need a check in spot. You know, like a cyber Cheers... Where everybody knows my name and they're always glad I came. :smiley:

I am starting this thread in hopes that it will be a consistent spot for people to come back to and share their daily struggles and successes and get to know others more personally.

I don't just want to know screen names or that you're doing Keto. I want to know how you incorporate it into your everyday life. I want to hear about struggles and successes, good days, bad days.

I feel like I need that for myself and my success and I'm hoping to find a few kindred spirits.

Replies

• newtrack
    newtrack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been trying intermittent fasting. On Thanksgiving I had a plate of carbs and sugar as if planned, and I was amazed at how my body protested in misery the rest of the day and Friday. My tongue felt numb, I felt sweaty and exhausted. But what I noticed is how simple it was to start fresh Friday and get right back to my way of eating. I fasted all day until 4pm-ish and by Saturday morning I left like myself again. I never left ketosis. I'm finding that IF is the way to go for me. My body loves it. I didn't even find it a struggle, really, to start since with keto my appetite has decreased and I was finding it hard to eat 3x a day. I like having my calories in the evening because I can load up on sauces and fats that might normally push me out of my calorie or macro range if I had 2 other meals to count. Anyway, this is how I've been adjusting! I'm finishing up my 2nd month being keto tomorrow and I really like it.
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've gotten myself out of keto and into bigger pants. I'm cleaning out my pantry today, going shopping and starting fresh! I would love a place to check in where everyone sees me and says "NORM!" :smiley:

Do we need to start a side group?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Great! So, my story is that I discovered the Keto diet in August and went gung-ho for about a month. I was having some unrelated digestive issues at the time so even though I felt better, weight loss was minimal. I struggled a lot mentally to stay focused because I felt really discouraged by the scale. Until eventually carbs creeped back up creating cravings that I lost the willpower to fight.

I feel like I needed external motivation to smack me up and pull me back from the edge before I went overboard. Since I don't have anyone in my real life who understands this way of eating, my anonymity here made it easy for my struggles to go unchecked. Old patterns ended up being repeated and I crashed and burned as per usual.

I'm here because I want a new "usual".

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm in too.....I started carb cycling in September, and then discovered keto and iF mid October. I'm definately a newby. And yes, I will admit I'm a sugar addict.....I had these pumpkin bars and chocolate covered nuts and caramels all day Thursday....and boy did I feel yuk. Today has been much better with eating one big meal tonight and a couple of slces of summer sausage for mid afternoon....And only two caramels... My dairy is open and I'm always open to new friends who eat this way too.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with keto, list 120 pounds, and discovered I'm no good at maintenence. So now I'm back to keto but everyday seems to be a struggle with hunger and carb creep, and slips. Overall goal is to continue on for another 15 or so vanity pounds and try to get a handle on how to successfully keep keto as a long term way of eating and living. God, I would like to find some peace in the area of food and eating. A check in thread would be a great help. How will we find it? A lot of threads seem to get lost over time.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How much do the rest of you guys have to lose? Id like to lose about 40lbs. I keep losing the same 5-10lbs and falling off the wagon before it sticks. My goal this time is to stay plugged in here until this way of eating becomes a way of life for me.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't really worked out how to keep the thread going except to keep posting in it regularly. This group isn't that busy so, it shouldn't take much to keep this thread from getting lost.

If it does become a problem, maybe we can look at other options then.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Btw, my name is Christie.
  • elize7
    Options
    Hi Christie! Just realized you're already on my friend list! Thought your moniker was familiar! So great. A new check in place! I'd been doing a November challenge which ends tomorrow so it will be good to start a new check in right away. I'm already starting to feel the emotional holiday upheaval. I'm determined to find non food ways to deal with it. Also starting a new job in a few hours which I'm happy about - but also realize that will be stressful til i feel settled in and learn all the new tasks. I've gad a long break though while I was able to focus on my own health and needs so I am ready for this. Going to try very hard to keep steady and well rested for the next 31 days. That seems like a cery good challenge for December. Oh, and if I could drop a few more pounds as well that would be the icing on the cake.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm in as I could do with somewhere to post the random little things I'm noticing about eating keto, and also to stay motivated. I started this WOE in June/July after being diagnosed with PCOS and the doctor recommending I look into low carb diets. To cut a long story short, it's revolutionised how I view food and has made so many positive changes for me. Eating this way has cleared up so many niggly little issues that I hadn't even thought were food related! But I went on a month-long backpacking holiday in September and just couldn't stick to it, so when I started university again in October I started again straight away. I'm still going now but am finding it hard to stay motivated as I've only lost about 5lbs since then, but I did my measurements the other day and I'm down 2" from everywhere! I've been working out a lot more and have started a lifting programme, so I'm hoping that I've just replaced the fat with muscle and that's why I haven't lost much weight.

My goal at the moment is to not put any weight on from now until the New Year! I'm planning to eat as keto as possible and I do find that my cravings have all but vanished, however I'm still having trouble persuading myself to stop eating when I'm not hungry any more! I have a few meals out and then the inevitable Christmas dinners (but when I go home I cook the Christmas meal so I can make sure there are some keto friendly options!) but I'm hoping to stick to my guns and go into the New Year with the last 15-20lbs to lose before graduation in the summer :)

• professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I love the idea of this group and that anyone can post anything at anytime but I'm finding that I need a check in spot. You know, like a cyber Cheers... Where everybody knows my name and they're always glad I came. :smiley:

I am starting this thread in hopes that it will be a consistent spot for people to come back to and share their daily struggles and successes and get to know others more personally.

I don't just want to know screen names or that you're doing Keto. I want to know how you incorporate it into your everyday life. I want to hear about struggles and successes, good days, bad days.

I feel like I need that for myself and my success and I'm hoping to find a few kindred spirits.

Creating the new normal isn't an easy thing to do. I grew up obese and found low carb and finally keto after several years of dieting and even getting a PHD in biochemistry. The most important thing to do is what you are doing which is finding other people that are actually sane and do keto themselves. I would recommend spending a lot of time talking to other people even if its only on MyFitnessPal that understand the importance of keeping your insulin levels low and what a ketogenic diet can do for you. I'm going to send you a friend request. I've been doing keto for many years and AM absolutely addicted and love it and oddly enough, am no longer obese. I weigh the same now as I did when I was an obese 13 year old.
    It really is true those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength... Isaiah 40:31 but since that is your code name I guess you already knew that.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    I have abut 70 pounds to lose.

Sue
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. It's nice to be able to check in here. I started low carb about 3 1/2 years ago, lost about 55 lbs, then went hard-core. I've been LCHF/Keto for about a year and a half. Truthfully, I haven't lost any addition weight. I would love to lose another 15-18 lbs to get to my "magic number" but it's not budging. I do IF several times a week and longer fasts from time to time. My weight has been at a stand-still for over 2 years. So, yeah, I'm frustrated, but I feel really good eating this way and my labs are amazing.
  • pwrfl1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone. It's nice to be able to check in here. I started low carb about 3 1/2 years ago, lost about 55 lbs, then went hard-core. I've been LCHF/Keto for about a year and a half. Truthfully, I haven't lost any addition weight. I would love to lose another 15-18 lbs to get to my "magic number" but it's not budging. I do IF several times a week and longer fasts from time to time. My weight has been at a stand-still for over 2 years. So, yeah, I'm frustrated, but I feel really good eating this way and my labs are amazing.
    looking forward to learning from you and the others on this thread!

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm keto for life! I began this woe in March and haven't looked back! The weight loss has been super slow (total loss is 37 pounds, 1.1 pounds since June!)! But the inches seem to be melting off. I've gone from a size 18/20 to a 14 since June 1. Don't trust the scale to maintain motivation! Always try to focus on how you feel! I would have given up before! Am sooooo glad that I have stuck it out! The benefits are amazing!
  • elize7
    Options
    First day of starting a new job started off with a car accident - no injuries but moderate damage - i was shaken op enough that i cried all the way to the job - but i was able to rally myself and did okay. Keeping calm, ketoing on. It's just typical. Anyway weight is going down again as i reign in the carb creep, and i also readjusted my goals so that i have til jan 14 to shed another 10-12 pounds. This might be too extreme for how close I am to goal weight, but it helps to keep me strongly motivated to keep to a strict carb count of 20g or below. I'm currently trying to keep my eating pattern to twice a day. This is possible for me to do when i keep carbs low.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Hi Christie! Just realized you're already on my friend list! Thought your moniker was familiar! So great. A new check in place! I'd been doing a November challenge which ends tomorrow so it will be good to start a new check in right away. I'm already starting to feel the emotional holiday upheaval. I'm determined to find non food ways to deal with it. Also starting a new job in a few hours which I'm happy about - but also realize that will be stressful til i feel settled in and learn all the new tasks. I've gad a long break though while I was able to focus on my own health and needs so I am ready for this. Going to try very hard to keep steady and well rested for the next 31 days. That seems like a cery good challenge for December. Oh, and if I could drop a few more pounds as well that would be the icing on the cake.

Hi elize7, finding non-food ways to deal with the holidays is a great idea... What are some of your strategies?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    UMDavies wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm in as I could do with somewhere to post the random little things I'm noticing about eating keto, and also to stay motivated. I started this WOE in June/July after being diagnosed with PCOS and the doctor recommending I look into low carb diets. To cut a long story short, it's revolutionised how I view food and has made so many positive changes for me. Eating this way has cleared up so many niggly little issues that I hadn't even thought were food related! But I went on a month-long backpacking holiday in September and just couldn't stick to it, so when I started university again in October I started again straight away. I'm still going now but am finding it hard to stay motivated as I've only lost about 5lbs since then, but I did my measurements the other day and I'm down 2" from everywhere! I've been working out a lot more and have started a lifting programme, so I'm hoping that I've just replaced the fat with muscle and that's why I haven't lost much weight.

My goal at the moment is to not put any weight on from now until the New Year! I'm planning to eat as keto as possible and I do find that my cravings have all but vanished, however I'm still having trouble persuading myself to stop eating when I'm not hungry any more! I have a few meals out and then the inevitable Christmas dinners (but when I go home I cook the Christmas meal so I can make sure there are some keto friendly options!) but I'm hoping to stick to my guns and go into the New Year with the last 15-20lbs to lose before graduation in the summer :)

I hope you reach your graduation goal!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I went intentionally off plan for my vacation/Thanksgiving holiday. Gained about 9.5 or so pounds in ten or so days. But I enjoyed it all, and I feel somewhat refreshed. Today is my first day on plan, and so far, despite only 3.5 hours of sleep last night, I'm feeling pretty doggoned amazing at the moment. I fasted today until lunch, ate a low carb lunch, and am trucking through without any snacks. I was really worried working myself up to diving back in that I just wouldn't be able to hack it this time. I'm going to keep a close eye on my electrolytes and try to side-step past any flu!

I just want to drop most of this fluff and water gains before the December holidays approach. I'll probably be partially off plan then, too (financial, convenience, and holiday reasons). I mean, we have to enjoy our lives, right? I did notice changes in my pain levels and such, but honestly, my food addict didn't care and kept on. I'm glad my plan all along was to reboot today. So far, so good!

Oh, and I'm Carly... I originally went low carb 1/15/15 and dropped to keto on 2/18/15. I dropped low carbing for a bit on 11/20/15, I think, and resumed it today, 11/30/15. I'm 39, female, with insulin resistance, PCOS, hypothyroidism, POP, severe allergies, recently developed migraines, and I'm just a mess. I'm 5'3.75" tall (DL says 5'4", doctor's office today confirmed, but a month ago, different doc office said 5'2" - WHATWHAT?). I'm currently at 254, give or take, and I'd like to get firmly below 200....preferably closer to 175-180 and decide what I like from there...
  • pwrfl1
    Options

KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I went intentionally off plan for my vacation/Thanksgiving holiday. Gained about 9.5 or so pounds in ten or so days. But I enjoyed it all, and I feel somewhat refreshed. Today is my first day on plan, and so far, despite only 3.5 hours of sleep last night, I'm feeling pretty doggoned amazing at the moment. I fasted today until lunch, ate a low carb lunch, and am trucking through without any snacks. I was really worried working myself up to diving back in that I just wouldn't be able to hack it this time. I'm going to keep a close eye on my electrolytes and try to side-step past any flu!

I just want to drop most of this fluff and water gains before the December holidays approach. I'll probably be partially off plan then, too (financial, convenience, and holiday reasons). I mean, we have to enjoy our lives, right? I did notice changes in my pain levels and such, but honestly, my food addict didn't care and kept on. I'm glad my plan all along was to reboot today. So far, so good!

Oh, and I'm Carly... I originally went low carb 1/15/15 and dropped to keto on 2/18/15. I dropped low carbing for a bit on 11/20/15, I think, and resumed it today, 11/30/15. I'm 39, female, with insulin resistance, PCOS, hypothyroidism, POP, severe allergies, recently developed migraines, and I'm just a mess. I'm 5'3.75" tall (DL says 5'4", doctor's office today confirmed, but a month ago, different doc office said 5'2" - WHATWHAT?). I'm currently at 254, give or take, and I'd like to get firmly below 200....preferably closer to 175-180 and decide what I like from there...
    . You and I have similar goals....although I'm taller, I figure once I get in the hundreds, we will see where the scale ends up. I've lost 26 since September, and hoping for another 8-10 in December. I also have started to implement Stronglifts 5x5... So far I haven't progressed much in weights, as I've been working in my form. The sugar monster got to me over Thanksgiving, and it's been hard to resist the remaining chocolate. Today I finally stuffed the candies into a baggie and threw it into the back of the freezer! I was hoping to bounce back like you after the holiday, but the cravings have been intense !!