Pick my Lunch

Options
Where do you a get a good, quick, and healthy salad?

After I leave work I go straight to the gym. If I try to stop by home to make a sandwich I will likely be accosted by a cranky husband or a cranky toddler, and I'm hoping to get in a pretty intense workout so I don't want anything heavy.

Suggestions? Or should I just stop by a grocery store and make a salad and eat in the car?

Replies

• wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Hmmm...no good options.

I wish there was a Whole Foods on the way.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Not always a good idea stopping off at home first, too many distractionS. How about having a stock of nutrition bars,an apples or a banana that you can have on the way?
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You should just have a piece of fruit and a small amount of protein (string cheese, almonds, etc.) before your workout, then have an actual meal after. As far as healthy salads, unless you make it yourself, there's not much guarantee. Most places add too much fat, sugar and sodium. But if this is a post-workout meal, you should ahve more than salad. You need protein to rebuild and repair muscle, and this process requires carbs for energy, so you don't have to eat like a rabbit after your workout,
  • FitAddictAmanda
    Options
    Definitely a protein bar or shake, then have something with carbs AFTER the workout. :)
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that you can buy hard boiled eggs at the grocery store that are already peeled. I usually have them in the fridge and throw two into a zip lock bag into my lunch bag. That typically is my driving home from work snack (which is at 3:00). That with a bottle of water takes care of it. Cheese sticks are great. I can't drink a ton of water before my workout (Zumba), or it will slosh around too much. And eating dinner before that? Forget it!
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    The grocery store I work at has a salad bar that you help yourself to at $4.99/lb, it's pretty good and I can have a small box with lettuce, spinach, chicken and a little dressing for around a dollar. I don't know if there's anything like that in your area?

Or yeah I'd pick up nutrition bars/shakes and keep them at work if you can, then have one per day on the way to the gym?
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I say your best bet would be to pack a lunchbox and take it to work with you.
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options

Just wanted to write the same. That's the only guarantee it's really healthy, I do that every day and take to work my AM snack, pre-coocked lunch, PM snack and pre-sport snack as I leave the house by 6:30am and come back from work by around 18:30 straight to the gym. There would be no way in eating healthy if I wouldn't carry my cooling bag with me.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options

I normally do...today was a unique situation. I ended up at Trader Joe's and got the salad I could find with the least amount of sodium and sugar. It had salmon and almonds so I think it did a good job fueling me.

Thanks guys.